PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Williamson: What Matt Cassel's injury means

Okie_Apparition
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
ESPN 7:36pm EST

Let’s look at the significant issues surrounding the Kansas City Chiefs after the news that quarterback Matt Cassel may be out for the rest of the season with a hand injury. He will require surgery and will, at least, miss several games:

What is Cassel’s future? I highly doubt we’ve seen the last of Cassel in Kansas City. He has been uneven, but the Chiefs appear to be committed to him at least for the short term. I expect Cassel to be the Chiefs’ starter in 2012.

The Chiefs’ season is likely over: This is not the time to lose your starting quarterback. After back-to-back home losses to Miami and Denver, the Chiefs are now 4-5 and enter a five-game stretch that features five 2010 playoff teams. Kansas City is struggling it is unlikely it will be able to withstand this tough stretch and stay in the AFC West race.

How much can one team take? Cassel’s injury is just another significant blow to this team. The Chiefs already lost star running back Jamaal Charles, star safety Eric Berry, and standout tight end Tony Moeaki to season-ending knee injuries. All of those injuries happened in September. These are the core players of this team.

Haley deserves a pass: There has been speculation throughout the season that Kansas City coach Todd Haley could be on the hot seat. But Cassel’s injury and the earlier major injuries have severely changed this team. The Chiefs’ record may not be impressive when the season is completed, but they are making strides, and Haley deserves to come back in 2012 with his full roster.

What should we expect from Tyler Palko? The left-handed quarterback is very inexperienced. Palko, 28, has thrown just 13 passes in the regular season since entering the NFL in 2007. He completed five of six attempts Sunday when he spelled Cassel late in the game. He was solid in the preseason, although he has had ball-security issues. Here is what Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. thinks of Palko:

The best way to describe [Palko] is this:

Coach’s son, a student of the game. Eats, sleeps and breathes it. Very coach-friendly. He’s a good athlete. He’s tough, smart. He’s a very average thrower of the football, but he has obviously worked on it quite a bit and he looks to be improving.

Is Ricky Stanzi a possibility? I think the only way we see Stanzi play this season is if the Chiefs are completely awful with Palko and fall out of the race. The impression I have gotten is the Chiefs don’t think the fifth-round pick is ready to play. But perhaps in December, we could see the Iowa product get a chance to show what he can do.

How the Chiefs can stay competitive: They are going to have to improve on defense and have a consistent running game. Let’s face it; it’s going to be very difficult for this team to win enough game to stay in the race. The 2011 season in Kansas City will be remembered as one that was ruined by injuries.

How this affects Dwayne Bowe: His numbers will likely suffer for the rest of the season, which may have a detrimental effect when he becomes a free agent at the end of the season.I think now is the perfect time for the Chiefs and for Bowe to come to a contract accord to ensure his future in Kansas City. The Chiefs need to look to the future and Bowe needs to be part of it.

How this affects Jon Baldwin: It’s been a tough rookie season for the first-round pick. He missed time due to the lockout and then a thumb injury he suffered in a reported fight with teammate Thomas Jones in camp cost him two months. If he loses his starting quarterback, Baldwin and Cassel will not be able get in sync until next spring.

O.city
11-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Why the fuck are we commited to Matt Cassel?

This franchise is a joke.

O.city
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
If he starts another game at qb for the Chiefs I'm done. Call me a fair weather fan if you want. I don't give a shit. I'll become a Packers fan or something. They seem to have it figured out.

Tombstone RJ
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
the good news is both cassel and haley will be back!

Reerun_KC
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Ah karma.

Straight, No Chaser
11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Williamson writes a nice and up-to-date AFCW Blog for ESPIN. He's even-keeled straight shooter that doesn't take any risks.

I think he has it right (unfortunately) with the Chiefs on this post.

ILChief
11-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Our only hope is for Stanzi to come in and play lights out and make it impossible to go back to cassel. First he has to get on the field. With richardson protecting palko's blind side, that shouldn't take long.

Okie_Apparition
11-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Williamson is pretty much laughed at here, but who isn't
Just posting some outsider's thoughts
Like the Amish we need to import new blood so some thoughts don't have three heads

Hammock Parties
11-14-2011, 09:31 PM
"they are making strides"

Strides into the ninth circle of football hell?

Brock
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Gonna be another useful excuse for another year of this weak sauce.

listopencil
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey, don't give up. You guys play against VonDoom again. Maybe they'll knock Palko out too.

T-post Tom
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Why the **** are we commited to Matt Cassel?

That's only the writer's take. Take a deep breath: you're in a safe place. :thumb:

Brock
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
That's only the writer's take. Take a deep breath: you're in a safe place. :thumb:

Put your elbows on the table and relax.

BigMeatballDave
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Cassel was coming back next season regardless

MagicHef
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey, don't give up. You guys play against VonDoom again. Maybe they'll knock Palko out too.

Not until week 17, though. Stanzi will get less than a game.

KcMizzou
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey, don't give up. You guys play against VonDoom again. Maybe they'll knock Palko out too.That kid's gonna be a beast. He'll be a thorn in our side for years.

T-post Tom
11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Put your elbows on the table and relax.

Well I hope you are going to take me out for drinks and dinner first.

Okie_Apparition
11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I see now this is a bit of a REPOST
Williamson getting double play - who knew

Ming the Merciless
11-14-2011, 09:54 PM
If he starts another game at qb for the Chiefs I'm done. Call me a fair weather fan if you want. I don't give a shit. I'll become a Packers fan or something. They seem to have it figured out.

Well, bye.

Titty Meat
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Bill Williamson doesn't know shit.

kcxiv
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM

No, its what Williamson says. He's not a member of the Chiefs FO. He's speculating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Why the fuck are we commited to Matt Cassel?

Bill Williamson is a joke.

FYP

The Franchise
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
The only way that I watch this team next year with Cassel at QB.....is if we draft a QB in the 1st round.

KcMizzou
11-14-2011, 10:27 PM
The only way that I watch this team next year with Cassel at QB.....is if we draft a QB in the 1st round.I'll watch and root for them no matter what. But clearly, we're going to be drafting high... and it's time. For once in my life time, I'd like to see the Chiefs go for their own franchise QB.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I'd say this injury means there will be a lot of happy Chiefs fans for the rest of the season. No one has bought into Cassel, and it doesn't look like anyone is going to.

As for the rest of the season being lost now, I'm not buying into that either. Only one team in the West has the same starting QB they opened the season with under center now. It's basically still a tie as far as the division race goes, and anyone can win it.

Haley stays regardless IMO. He's led them to a division title in his second season, and he's a bit of a risk taker. It doesn't always work out the way we as fans want it to, but it's far better than Herm and his philosophy: 1st, handoff. 2nd, handoff. 3rd, pass. 4th, punt. Worst football ever.

Palko isn't going to break any records, so let's be careful what we wish for. There are worse passers than Cassel—Brodie Croyle anyone?

The killer B's won't be affected too bad by this injury. It's not like Cassel was throwing 50yard bombs on a rope to Bowe to stretch the field. Should be business as usual.

Probably still won't see much, if any, of Stanzi this year.

That's my take anyway.

Tombstone RJ
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll watch and root for them no matter what. But clearly, we're going to be drafting high... and it's time. For once in my life time, I'd like to see the Chiefs go for their own franchise QB.

the chefs have drafted QB's in the first round before... this year's class seems pretty deep. Peeeohlee just needs to make sure he does his homework before he pulls the trigger.

I'm of the mind that unless a team has a "franchise" qb, they should be drafting a QB every year in the late rounds 'cause you never know when you are gonna find the next Brady.

JohnnyHammersticks
11-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow, didn't think about it until I read this article. Barry Richardson is now our blind side tackle.

In addition to the normal ambulance, they may want to have a hearse on standby at Foxboro next week.

Straight, No Chaser
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow, didn't think about it until I read this article. Barry Richardson is now our blind side tackle.

In addition to the normal ambulance, they may want to have a hearse on standby at Foxboro next week.

I dunno, can the Pats D put as much pressure as the two-headed VonDoom? Even after Bellicose watches game film?

We're toast if we play from behind anyway, even if it's 3-0.

Hammock Parties
11-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I dunno, can the Pats D put as much pressure as the two-headed VonDoom? Even after Bellicose watches game film?

We're toast if we play from behind anyway, even if it's 3-0.

Mark Anderson and Andre Carter have been playing decent for the Patriots. Richardson gives up pressure to a cadaver.

Iconic
11-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Haley deserves a pass: There has been speculation throughout the season that Kansas City coach Todd Haley could be on the hot seat. But Cassel’s injury and the earlier major injuries have severely changed this team. The Chiefs’ record may not be impressive when the season is completed, but they are making strides, and Haley deserves to come back in 2012 with his full roster.

http://i41.tinypic.com/358td84.jpg

RealSNR
11-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Bill Williamson doesn't know shit.No kidding. He should stick to drawing comic strips

R8RFAN
11-15-2011, 01:28 AM
I hope Cassel has a nice long career in the NFL.... Hell he was great at New England

Iconic
11-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I hope Cassel has a nice long career in the NFL.... Hell he was great at New England

Ahuh. I see what you're doing now....

R8RFAN
11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Ahuh. I see what you're doing now....

Seriously, he is an excellent QB for the Chiefs

Phobia
11-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Seriously, he is an excellent QB for the Chiefs

I agree. Now how can we get the NFC West back on our schedule for 16 games? They liked to play into the whole "protect Cassel" scheme. It's not fair that other teams have learned all they need to do is blitz and cover the check-down.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-15-2011, 05:23 AM
I fully expect Cassel to be back.

Whether they draft a QB or think that Stanzi is the QBOTF, the Chiefs are still going to have Cassel under center next year.

I don't think that Haley will be back. Cassel's injury gives him more of an excuse come the end of the season.

But, the Chiefs were 4-4 going into this game. They lost by four TD's or more in three of thos losses. And, they lost to the winless Dolphins. They were losing to the Broncos before Cassel went down.

I fully expect that Haley will be gone. I would love to see a Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher. I would be okay with a first time head coach like Toub, Fewell or Olson.

But, I have a feeling we will be seeing Eric Mangini or Josh McDaniels being introduced as the Chiefs next head coach.

I think McDaniels and Mangini both have the capability to be good head coaches....especially under the guidance of Pioli. But, they aren't my first choice.

Holladay
11-15-2011, 05:37 AM
the chefs have drafted QB's in the first round before... this year's class seems pretty deep. Peeeohlee just needs to make sure he does his homework before he pulls the trigger.

see 1983...cira Todd Blackledge

ILChief
11-15-2011, 06:23 AM
The only way that I watch this team next year with Cassel at QB.....is if we draft a QB in the 1st round.

We've won too many games to get Luck. If we want Barkley, we need to get ahead of Miami, Seattle, and Washington. Otherwise it's Landry Jones or reach for someone else

memyselfI
11-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Haley deserves a pass, my ass.

Marcellus
11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I fully expect Cassel to be back.

Whether they draft a QB or think that Stanzi is the QBOTF, the Chiefs are still going to have Cassel under center next year.

I don't think that Haley will be back. Cassel's injury gives him more of an excuse come the end of the season.

But, the Chiefs were 4-4 going into this game. They lost by four TD's or more in three of thos losses. And, they lost to the winless Dolphins. They were losing to the Broncos before Cassel went down.

I fully expect that Haley will be gone. I would love to see a Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher. I would be okay with a first time head coach like Toub, Fewell or Olson.

But, I have a feeling we will be seeing Eric Mangini or Josh McDaniels being introduced as the Chiefs next head coach.

I think McDaniels and Mangini both have the capability to be good head coaches....especially under the guidance of Pioli. But, they aren't my first choice.

You are a moran and I can take nothing you say seriously ever again, not that I did before.

Both of these coaches are abject failures.

Deberg_1990
11-15-2011, 07:47 AM
IM sure Haley will get a pass but IMO he doesnt deserve it. The problems with this team run far deeper than just Cassel.

BigRichard
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
ESPN 7:36pm EST

What is Cassel’s future? I highly doubt we’ve seen the last of Cassel in Kansas City. He has been uneven, but the Chiefs appear to be committed to him at least for the short term. I expect Cassel to be the Chiefs’ starter in 2012.

This is my biggest fear.

madmike
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM

I'm with you, idk if I can take another year of matt cassel falling to the ground everytime a defender gets near him....he is basically kyle orton who was replaced by a college quaterback.

Dave Lane
11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Our only hope is for Stanzi to come in and play lights out and make it impossible to go back to cassel. First he has to get on the field. With richardson protecting palko's blind side, that shouldn't take long.

That.

Dave Lane
11-15-2011, 08:09 AM
You are a moran and I can take nothing you say seriously ever again, not that I did before.

This is not true. Mangino has gotten three gold stars in several pie eating contests.

Royal Fanatic
11-15-2011, 08:29 AM
This is not true. Mangino has gotten three gold stars in several pie eating contests.
I won't insult your intelligence by assuming that you don't know the difference between Eric Mangini and Mark Mangino.

Instead, I'll just say Leave Mark Mangino alone!

http://troll.me/images/leave-alone-gay-dude/leave-m2k-alone.jpg

SenselessChiefsFan
11-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Phew... the pressure's off.

Bill Belichick was an abject failure at Cleveland.

I think both of these coaches would do much better in KC than they did in their previous coaching stints.

As I said, I am not the most excited about these guys.... but I can see Pioli choosing one of them.... Patriot's way and all.

wazu
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Seems like all the discussion is on whether or not Haley should be allowed to stay. I'd much rather have Haley stay than Pioli.

Caseyguyrr
11-15-2011, 09:37 AM
if cassel is here next year i will lose my faith in humanity forever