PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Matt Cassel Injury And Five Things To Remember

bevischief
11-15-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/11/15/2563357/matt-cassel-injury-kansas-city-chiefs#storyjump

The Matt Cassel Injury And Five Things To Remember

Headshot_tiny by Joel Thorman on Nov 15, 2011 7:34 AM CST

83 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Photo

The Kansas City Chiefs lost QB Matt Cassel on Sunday to some sort of hand injury that's expected to keep him out of at least Monday night's game against the New England Patriots and possibly longer, maybe the entire season.

This situation brings up a million things to talk about, questions to ask and concerns about how the Chiefs will handle it. I'm talking about all those things here -- Cassel's recovery timetable, the Ricky Stanzi factor, veteran backup quarterbacks, changing the offense and competitive advantages.

No one knows when, or if, Cassel will be back. Maybe the Chiefs know and they're not saying but we certainly don't know. That's because we don't know exactly what's wrong with him. The Chiefs were a little chattier than usual about injuries on Monday given the circumstances but that doesn't mean they gave us Cassel's x-rays or the doctor's medical report. We don't know exactly what's wrong with him, what kind of surgery he's having or what the recovery process is. Until we know exactly what's wrong, it's hard to guess when he'll be back.

Star-divide

Ricky Stanzi doesn't factor in right now. Yesterday NFL Network's Albert Breer tweeted something about liking Stanzi coming out and a few minutes later, after the flood of responses from his 50,000-plus followers, tweeted again, "Wow. Didn't realize Stanzi had this kinda following in KC." Lots of people like Stanzi and, if the season is done, would prefer to see the rookie rather than the 28-year old Palko. From best I can tell, the Stanzi hype dates back to ESPN's Mel Kiper talking about him in the draft (calling him a hidden gem a la Tom Brady). Really, though, he's a fifth round pick and hasn't been active all year. Kent Babb of the KC Star has been reporting throughout the year that Stanzi isn't a candidate to play this year (barring injury to others, of course) so, for now, Stanzi is not the guy.

The veteran backup quarterback debate rears it's head again. Remember back in training camp when the Chiefs decided against bringing in a veteran backup quarterback? That was definitely a topic we debated. That the Chiefs had such inexperience behind Cassel wasn't something that sneaked by us. My argument back then was to bring in a veteran (lookin' at you, Marc Bulger or Todd Collins) because past history has shown us that Cassel is going to miss a game or two. Now we'll be seeing that argument again, that GM Scott Pioli and Todd Haley weren't prepared for what hit them (this is assuming Palko struggles which...maybe he doesn't). There were opportunities to bring a veteran guy in and they didn't. If Palko flops, that's on Pioli and Co. for failing to act on that position in training camp.

Changes to the Chiefs offense. Palko said this week that he knows the entire offense, everything is available to him and Haley says he has confidence in Palko to run the offense. That said, I still think we see a lot of things change offensively for Palko. I see a lot of high percentage, low risk passes -- sorta like Cassel, actually -- and trying to avoid turnovers. I'd say things get even more conservative on the offense, we see more Jackie Battle in the backfield and more Dexter McCluster in the flat.

A word about competitive advantages. Palko talked to the media on Monday and said he had a pretty good idea talking to Cassel on Sunday after the game that Cassel wouldn't be ready to play next week. That's interesting because Cassel spoke to the media after the game and again on 810 WHB Monday morning and didn't give any idea that there was a long-term issue with his hand.

frankotank
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Palko rules!

Rasputin
11-15-2011, 10:38 AM
The thing to remember is that it's an " injury " :rolleyes: & not a coaches decision to switch QBs.

Gonzo
11-15-2011, 10:39 AM
I smell something fishy here. Of course I had to remove my tin-foil hat for a second to soak it all in.

Cassel saying on Monday that he "didn't think his hand was a long-term issue." Just wafts the conspiracy bug about the area. The fucking GM is trying to save face here. He has a sprained cuticle or some shit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stanzi play within the next 2 weeks. You just wait and see.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
That last bit is very interesting.

bobbything
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think this organization has any faith that Stanzi is the QBOTF for the Chiefs. Then again, I don't know what it says about this organization's qualifications considering they've given the reins to Matt Cassel for the better part of the last 3 years.

The Franchise
11-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I smell something fishy here. Of course I had to remove my tin-foil hat for a second to soak it all in.

Cassel saying on Monday that he "didn't think his hand was a long-term issue." Just wafts the conspiracy bug about the area. The fucking GM is trying to save face here. He has a sprained cuticle or some shit.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stanzi play within the next 2 weeks. You just wait and see.
Posted via Mobile Device

If Stanzi gets any playing time.....it's going to happen after we lose against the Steelers, Patriots, Bears, Jets and Packers. I don't see them putting the rookie in against those quality teams.

Lzen
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
...My argument back then was to bring in a veteran (lookin' at you, Marc Bulger or Todd Collins) because past history has shown us that Cassel is going to miss a game or two....

Those guys are old and washed up. No way bringing in a 90 year old QB would make things better. Probably would be worse. Anyone remember Warren Moon in 2000?

L.A. Chieffan
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I was tweeting my support of cassel, i hope he gets well soon

Lzen
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
The ****ing GM is trying to save face here. He has a sprained vagina or some shit.
Posted via Mobile Device
FYP

Rasputin
11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think this organization has any faith that Stanzi is the QBOTF for the Chiefs. Then again, I don't know what it says about this organization's qualifications considering they've given the reins to Matt Cassel for the better part of the last 3 years.

Remember how long it took them before they benched LJ for good? We all new JC was the better RB from the get go. I didn't understand why it took them so long to junk LJ to the trash heap? I don't think it has any thing to do with faith in the young QB, it's that they just want to be smarter than the fans so they force themselves to make unpopular decisions just to prove a point. They tried to out smart the injury plague too for the preseason by conditioning the players instead of physical preparation for game day. That didn't work so well for them, but at first they got recognition for it not doing what the rest of the league was doing. It still bit them in the ass.

tecumseh
11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Why not give Palko a couple of starts? If he totally flops, Stanzi. See what we've got in some real game situations.
It's seems obvious to me that this years team lacks leadership. After two embarrassing HOME losses , no one is stepping up to rally this team.
Haley's seems like he's going through the motions , maybe he's lost the entire team or at least the offense. Cassel looks as though he doesn't have any true credibility so no one cares what he says.
Where is the leadership on offense? Bowe? I don't think so. Jones? maybe.
Defensive leadership Hali? maybe. Flowers? not after giving up on that donko
td. I thought this years team could pull out a 9-7, 8-8 season. Now it smells like 5-11 or worse.

Gonzo
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
If Stanzi gets any playing time.....it's going to happen after we lose against the Steelers, Patriots, Bears, Jets and Packers. I don't see them putting the rookie in against those quality teams.
I can totally side with this opinion. However, with the fans screaming for Stanzi since April, maybe Pioli and Haley will throw him to the Wolves just to shut us up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
#1 is the Herm Edwards' QB curse. The Jets still haven't recovered. THe Bucs thought they had, boy were they fooled

BigRichard
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
The thing to remember is that it's an " injury " :rolleyes: & not a coaches decision to switch QBs.

This is what worries me the most.

mlyonsd
11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
The only chances we have of seeing Stanzi is in a game where we've basically already lost and the other team(s) put in their scrubs.

Or until Palko is killed.

Each is a distinct possibility.

Rasputin
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
This is what worries me the most.

They continue to put Jones on the field WTF!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!??

I think the coaches we got get it in there heads at the beginning of the season and that's what they put on the field regardless of results.

Why why why do we keep seeing Jones on the field???

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Jones may have been Cassel's binki

J Diddy
11-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Yep, Tom Brady was talking to Drew Bledsoe about that the other day. It was about the same time that Kurt Warner was having a video chat with Trent Green.

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
It's very important for the media to come out & say Cassel sucks & records are kept! How a journalism degree makes you a QB expert is not important right now

FAX
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Okay. I have to ask this once more ...

Why do we hate Palko?

FAX

Mama Hip Rockets
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Those guys are old and washed up. No way bringing in a 90 year old QB would make things better. Probably would be worse.

Seriously. Palko sucks tremendous amounts of ass, but I would much rather see him play than Marc Bulger or Todd Collins. WTF is this guy thinking?

FAX
11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Seriously. Palko sucks tremendous amounts of ass, but I would much rather see him play than Marc Bulger or Todd Collins. WTF is this guy thinking?

Why?

FAX

JD10367
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

I think it'll be quicker than that. In Palko you're not talking about some former starter who's shown he can win; you're talking about a guy with 9 completed passes as his entire NFL resume. If Palko comes out on Monday night and, by halftime, has a lovely QB line (something like 3 for 15, 17 yards, a pick, and a 32 QB rating), you can bet you'll see Stanzi after halftime. And why wouldn't you? The Chiefs have two unknowns in Palko and Stanzi, so I don't see why they wouldn't be equally (non-) qualified to be under center.

jd1020
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I think it'll be quicker than that. In Palko you're not talking about some former starter who's shown he can win; you're talking about a guy with 9 completed passes as his entire NFL resume. If Palko comes out on Monday night and, by halftime, has a lovely QB line (something like 3 for 15, 17 yards, a pick, and a 32 QB rating), you can bet you'll see Stanzi after halftime. And why wouldn't you? The Chiefs have two unknowns in Palko and Stanzi, so I don't see why they wouldn't be equally (non-) qualified to be under center.

This aint the Raiders. Palko is going to get games, not halfs, to start.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Why?

FAX

Have you ever seen him play? He looks completely awful even against 4th string defenses in preseason games. He just runs around like a damn chicken with no head and then throws the ball into oblivion.

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
QBBC>Cassel

trndobrd
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I've seen this move! Here's how it will go down: Cassel, after a mediocre season so far, goes out with an injury. Palko gets his shot and uses his mobility and preparation to string together enough wins to get the Chiefs into the playoffs. Cassel comes off his injury and starts the playoff game.

Frosty
Have you ever seen him play? He looks completely awful even against 4th string defenses in preseason games. He just runs around like a damn chicken with no head and then throws the ball into oblivion.

I didn't think he looked too bad in the preseason when he had a chance to play with the firsts, other than you could tell he doesn't have much of an arm. When he played behind the 2nd string line, he was normally running for his life (same as Stanzi).

FAX

Nope. Not too many people have, I don't think.

I've been asking over and over why we're supposed to hate him so much when he hasn't seen any real, regular season, NFL action.

No offense, but I don't put a heck of a lot of stock in pre-season play. Too many variables at work simultaneously to understand what to take away ... unless, of course, you know what the coaches are thinking and doing.

FAX

JD10367
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
No offense, but I don't put a heck of a lot of stock in pre-season play.

True enough. When Cassel was a Patriot, he looked like shit every preseason, and we wondered why they kept him around. But now he's a starter on anoth... uh... shit, bad example, never mind.

Three7s
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
We will rally behind Tyler Palko and we will play good foo-*can't control laughter*

Yeah, I'm sorry, can't do it.

Bob Dole
11-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Did anyone ever figure out how Maddie even suffered the hand injury? Bob Dole doesn't recall being able to see anything at all on the replay of his final exercise in futility.

Dayze
11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Did anyone ever figure out how Maddie even suffered the hand injury? Bob Dole doesn't recall being able to see anything at all on the replay of his final exercise in futility.

I think he jammed his finger while trying to put on his hat.

Frosty
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I think he jammed his finger while trying to put on his hat.

Maybe Haley broke Matt's finger while yanking him out of the game.

FAX
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm not trying to start a controversy or anything ... but it is his anus poking finger.

FAX

Okie_Apparition
11-15-2011, 01:15 PM
They need to protect him from the tougher part of the schedule for trade purposes. By then people will have forgotten how terrible he was & only that he was a Pro-bowl QB. That makes for a boring BB though

talastan
11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
No offense, but I don't put a heck of a lot of stock in pre-season play. Too many variables at work simultaneously to understand what to take away ... unless, of course, you know what the coaches are thinking and doing.

FAX

Come Mr FAX, this is the Planet, of course we know what the coaches are thinking and doing! :thumb: ;)

Chiefnj2
11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Someone remind me why is Palko on this team to begin with? Is another tin foil hat theory that Pioli is forcing Haley to play Palko so that Cassel will look better?

11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Someone remind me why is Palko on this team to begin with? Is another tin foil hat theory that Pioli is forcing Haley to play Palko so that Cassel will look better?Hell, we had Brokie ahead of Palko last year.

BossChief
11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
With Richardson as Palkos blindside protector, I dont think it will take that long.
Okay. I have to ask this once more ...

Why do we hate Palko?

FAX

1) his arm is weaker than Penningtons.
2) he throws passes while jumping
3) his field vision seems to be almost non existant
4) he throws pick6s to 6th string linebackers
5) He is the player standing in the way of our bright and shiny new rookie drafted quarterback that looked great in preseason.
6) he is short for a qb
7) his release takes forever and his mechanics suck
8) His mother is a whore, oops...sorry got some guys mixed up. My bad.

bricks
11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Chiefs are stupid.

kcfanXIII
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I've seen this move! Here's how it will go down: Cassel, after a mediocre season so far, goes out with an injury. Palko gets his shot and uses his mobility and preparation to string together enough wins to get the Chiefs into the playoffs. Cassel comes off his injury and starts the playoff game.

elvis grbac > matt cassel

I was thinking about that comparison. Palko is not Rich Gannon though, and that team had a really good defense, so i guess that is where the similarities end. That and neither of the head coaches involved have won a playoff game.

FlaChief58
11-15-2011, 02:31 PM

You take that back RIGHT NOW!

FlaChief58
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Chiefs are stupid.

Very insightful :facepalm:

whoman69
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM

I could see him against the Packers or the Patriots. Its not their defenses that are winning games.

whoman69
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
And because Babb says Stanzi won't play, that's gold?

bevischief
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm not trying to start a controversy or anything ... but it is his anus poking finger.

FAX

But he wipes with that hand.

bricks
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Very insightful :facepalm:

Its true.

Anybody with a brain knows Thomas Jones should be gone. Yet they still play him.

John McGraw is one of the sh*tiest safeties in the league. Why they treat him like he is a golden boy is just quite intriguing. Berry gets hurt and why not go out and get a veteran safety?
Charles gets hurt, why not go out and get Tashard Choice? The RB depth is sh*t, the safety depth is sh*t and they just sit with their hands folded. I've never seen such a passive organization in my life.

Plus, everybody knows Palko sucks and Stanzi is ALOT better. But they are going to opt with Palko instead? Stupid. Sorry.

FlaChief58
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I want to see what Stanzi has too but, to this point he has not been in uniform. Throwing him to the wolves on monday is (imo) stupid. Let Palko get his shit pushed in over the next 2-3 weeks then bring in Stanzi. As far as Jones, I agree he's done and should be axed at the end of the season.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
With Richardson as Palkos blindside protector, I dont think it will take that long.

5) He is the player standing in the way of our bright and shiny new rookie drafted quarterback that looked great in preseason.
6) he is short for a qb
8) His mother is a whore, oops...sorry got some guys mixed up. My bad.Not that I care about Palko, but Brees is only 6', Palko is listed at 6'1

FAX
11-15-2011, 03:52 PM

6) he is short for a qb
8) His mother is a whore, oops...sorry got some guys mixed up. My bad.

Thanks for the breakdown, Mr. BossChief. I've never actually seen him perform, so I really don't know what he can or cannot do in real, live action.

Weak arm? That's okay. We've adopted the dinky dunky offense, so that doesn't really bother me all that much.

Jumps? Strange, and not good from the standpoint of accuracy and velocity but Jiminy Cricket was a jumper, too, and his career is legendary.

Field vision? I'm unconcerned about this. Just lob the damn thing up and let one of the Bs fight for the ball. You don't have to see to fling a jump ball.

Picks? That's bad, for sure. Still, when you ain't throwing picks, you ain't trying. Ask Brett Fa-va-rah.

Stanzi problem? Well, he's under development and will get his opportunity soon enough. Can't hold that against the Palkomeister.

Short? Kinda. But there have been and currently are successful QBs who are also vertically challenged. That probably accounts for some of the jumping, though. So you have to give him credit for adapting his style.

Slow release? I don't know about that, but if he can get the ball out in less than 5 seconds, he's twice as fast as what we had.

Mom? Got a number?

FAX

lcarus
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
If Palko falls flat on his face in the next couple of games, they should name Stanzi the starter before a home game. It would probably get more people in the seats from a business standpoint...perhaps.

BigRichard
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Yep, Tom Brady was talking to Drew Bledsoe about that the other day. It was about the same time that Kurt Warner was having a video chat with Trent Green.

And when Gannon called up.... nvm.

11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I want to see what Stanzi has too but, to this point he has not been in uniform. Throwing him to the wolves on monday is (imo) stupid. Let Palko get his shit pushed in over the next 2-3 weeks then bring in Stanzi. As far as Jones, I agree he's done and should be axed at the end of the season.But wouldn't it be friggin cool if he started and we won Monday night? Nice dream I know.

FlaChief58
11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
But wouldn't it be friggin cool if he started and we won Monday night? Nice dream I know.

If I win the powerball tomorrow, I'll be rich

Micjones
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't wanna see Stanzi ruined because we're desperate for solid QB play.
Rushing him along isn't the move. I'd rather Palko play for now.

11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
If I win the powerball tomorrow, I'll be richThats a nice dream too.

Rasputin
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I want to see what Stanzi has too but, to this point he has not been in uniform. Throwing him to the wolves on monday is (imo) stupid. Let Palko get his shit pushed in over the next 2-3 weeks then bring in Stanzi. As far as Jones, I agree he's done and should be axed at the end of the season.

I bet if Stanzi played our O-line would look a hell of a lot better.