PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF Grades the Chiefs, Week 10

Hammock Parties
11-16-2011, 04:22 PM
1. Albert played his worst game of the season pass protection wise. He allowed 2 QB pressures and 2 QB hits. -2.7

2. Richardson played his 2nd worst game of the year, with 4 pressures allowed, 1 sack and 1 hit. -6.6

3. Other sacks allowed: Leonard Pope, Le'Ron McClain and Matt Cassel. ROFL. Cassel has allowed 5 sacks this year. ROFLROFLROFL

4. Speaking of Cattle Mass, he played his worst game of the year with a -2.0. If his season is over, he finishes as the 15th ranked QB and 20th passer. Worse than Matt Moore and Tarvaris Jackson. He finishes 21st in accuracy percentage under pressure. Another interesting note: He was 4 for 24 throwing outside the hash marks over 20 yards. Terrible.

5. Jon Asamoah played his best game of the year.

6. Jonathan Baldwin played his most snaps of the year with 59.

7. I don't really want to hear anyone defending McGraw anymore. This guy played 14 snaps of run defense and somehow had a -2.4. That's really hard to do. You'll see bad players go an entire game, 60 snaps, and not grade that low.

8. We had 0 pressures from anyone in this game, but Justin Houston played his best game of the year in run defense with a 3.1.

9. Reshard Langford played 42 snaps, which is far and away more PT than he has ever received in a game. He held his own with a 0.4 and a 0.9 in run defense, even though he gave up that game-ender. It looks to me like the Chiefs are trying to find someone who can play between McGraw, Washington and Langford and this week was Langford's chance.

PFF's official recap:

Broncos: Three Performances of Note

What rookie wall?

I really wanted to avoid discussing Von Miller (+7.5) yet again (he’s turning into PFF’s Tebow) but while we keep waiting for his performances to level off and him to hit the rookie wall, he continues to improve while turning in dominant efforts. Against the Chiefs, Miller laid a shot on the quarterback five times (including one sack) and picked up three pressures besides. It’s amazing how quickly he can get into the backfield, and this was demonstrated early and often in Kansas City. At one point in the first quarter, he was graded positively on four consecutive plays, a sequence that ended with the sack. On that play, Miller fought through a pair of blocks so quickly that by the time Cassel saw the rush and tried to evade, he was already being brought to the ground. Our top-ranked 4-3 OLB made a few plays in the run game as well – including a tackle for loss on the first drive – and didn’t make any glaring mistakes typical of a rookie. Now with a +34.7 overall cumulative grade, will Miller ever hit that rookie wall this season or continue soaring to new heights?

An emerging defense

For a defense that was as bad as Denver was last year, it must feel good to influence a game positively instead of negatively. The ground game deserves plenty of credit for putting up 17 points without the threat of the pass, but 17 points won’t win most games and the defense was the true cause of the Broncos victory. Seven Broncos graded in the green on defense, and several had their best games of the season. left defensive end Robert Ayers (+4.4) was active in both run defense and pass rush, making two tackles for a short gain in the run game and pressuring Cassel three times in 16 pass rush attempts. Middle linebacker Joe Mays (+4.8) played every snap after rotating out in certain packages for several weeks and celebrated his increased playing time with by far his best game of the year. Undrafted free agent slot cornerback Chris Harris Jr. (+3.6) has graded in the green in three of the five games he’s played and broke up a pass while limiting receivers to four catches for 33 yards in his coverage. This defense hit Cassel 13 times over the course of the game, and defensive performances like that will give any team a great chance to win.

A weak link in the running game

When you run the ball 55 times in one game, you need more than the five big guys up front to have any kind of success. When the opposing team knows you are running and rushes more bodies than the five linemen can pick up, somebody has to be able to pick up those extra rushers. Tight end Daniel Fells (-4.7) was not that person against the Chiefs. Fells was worked over by an assortment of Chiefs in the run game and was responsible for a number of failed runs. He also drew an illegal block in the back penalty that was declined because he still wasn’t able to propel the runner for a first down. These few bad plays wouldn’t be so bad, but he failed to make an impact throughout the entire game even when he wasn’t making mistakes. Dante Rosario (-2.0) didn’t acquit himself any better. When there’s no good, only average and bad, you have a problem at the position and if the Broncos intend to continue running the ball as heavily as they have been, they’ll need to get better blocking from positions outside of the offensive line.

Chiefs: Three Performances of Note

Missed opportunities

“What if” was the theme of the game for Kansas City. Jonathon Baldwin, Dwyane Bowe (-2.4), and Dexter McCluster each dropped a pass and Bowe couldn’t reach far enough to haul in another that would’ve gained decent yardage. Baldwin made a dazzling catch behind the back of Brian Dawkins deep downfield that didn’t count because of a penalty. The defense missed seven tackles, each from a different player to spread the damage. Considering the final score was separated by a mere touchdown, it’s a disappointing loss for a Chiefs team that knows those missed opportunities could have turned the tide of the game completely.

About time for a benching?

Right tackle Barry Richardson (-6.6) has displayed some horrible performances in a Chiefs uniform. This most recent one marks the third time this season Richardson has graded at -6.0 or worse, which, frankly, indicates that he’s just not that good of a tackle. So how much longer can Richardson turn in these kind of games before the Chiefs go to Jared Gaither, either at right tackle himself or by moving Brandon Albert there and inserting Gaither on the left. Gaither has shown he can get it done in the past and though he is something of an enigma right now, wouldn’t it be better to see if he can still play than to let the guy who rarely if ever plays at a high level continue inhibiting the offense? Poor pass protection over the last few weeks has already cost Cassel some time and potentially the season. Sooner or later, Richardson is going to run out of opportunities.

Young defenders provide silver lining

After losing their starting quarterback as well as the game, there isn’t much for the Chiefs to take away from this one in a positive context. One thing they can be happy about though is the encouraging play of two of their young defenders, OLB Justin Houston (+2.8) and FS Kendrick Lewis (+2.3). The rookie Houston played the most snaps in any single game he’s played yet, and took advantage of the opportunity by turning in his first game graded in the green. He made four defensive stops, beating Broncos tight ends with ease to close on the ball carrier. Three of the four players that saw at least one snap at tight end for the Broncos were graded negatively on at least one play thanks to Houston. Second-year safety Lewis had his best game of the season with a missed tackle being his only negative play in the game. He broke up two of the eight passes Tebow attempted, including a deep attempt to Eric Decker and also made a defensive stop in the run game.

Game Notes:

- Moreno was the Broncos highest-graded runner on the day despite only playing five snaps, thanks to a hurdling run over Brandon Flowers that put the team in position for their first touchdown.

- Not to add insult to injury, but Cassel completed one of seven passes aimed 10 yards or more downfield and averaged 3.3 yards per attempt against the Broncos’ suddenly fearsome pass rush.

- Rookie MLB Nate Irving saw his first snap on defense and picked up a QB hit when he was the only player to not bite on the play-action on Cassel’s touchdown pass.

PFF Game Ball

Again, we don’t want to heap accolades on Von Miller and discuss him in every single Re-focused, but as long as his play warrants these things he will continue to receive them. Miller’s presence has turned the Broncos from one of the worst defenses in the league into a truly intimidating one—no small feat for one man.

Reerun_KC
11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
But there is nothing wrong with the OL, ITS all Cassels fault...

ChiefsCountry
11-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Well pressures would be hard to get considering the Donks only threw the ball 8 times.

Deberg_1990
11-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Rofl that Houston played good run defense. Nobody did IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Rofl that Houston played good run defense. Nobody did IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Our run defense was fine in the 2nd half. The Broncos didn't score until that pass.

DMAC
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
So Cassel allowing 5 sacks...is that over panicking?

How do other QB's in the league compare?

DeezNutz
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
The defense gave up 17 points; they weren't the primary problem.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
So Cassel allowing 5 sacks...is that over panicking?

How do other QB's in the league compare?

Well, other QBs who have allowed at least 5 sacks:

Aaron Rodgers
Michael Vick
Cam Newton
Philip Rivers

I'd say in Cassel's case, because he isn't a prolific passer, it's pretty unforgivable.

O.city
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm so god damn tired of hearing Chief fans complain about the offensive line. THis is the thinking that hasn't landed us a franchise qb in the last 40 fucking years.

If you replace Richardson with Gaither and Hudson at C, our offensive line is fine. You don't have to have a great offensive line to win in the NFL.

Matt Cassel missed 3 throws Sunday that were touchdown. THREE. If he completes those three passes, that weren't even hard throws, we win Sunday. And don't give me this "well the wr. drop too many passes". When the ball is not thrown accurately it's hard as hell to catch it. Throw in safeties and lbs bearing down on you it's that much tougher.

In today's NFL, when you have a guy open for a big play you have to complete it cause it doesn't happen much. We actually have built a core of wr. that should put up big plays. The mantra of a few years ago that our wr can't get open, doesn't work now.

Chief Roundup
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm so god damn tired of hearing Chief fans complain about the offensive line. THis is the thinking that hasn't landed us a franchise qb in the last 40 ****ing years.

No it is not. Over react much. There are other rounds to draft lineman in other than the 1st. We need a better Oline.

O.city
11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
No it is not. Over react much. There are other rounds to draft lineman in other than the 1st. We need a better Oline.

We need a qb. Plain and simple.

Until we get one it doesn't matter what other pieces we add.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2011, 05:37 PM

We need a RT, and we need Hudson to step up next year.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Chiefs had a TD on a wheel route to McCluster and one to Breaston with a competent QB. Though on McCluster's it did appear he slipped a little. May need a gif on that one if possible. Offense was the reason we couldn't overcome the Savior's prayer duck for a TD in the 4th.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
May need a gif on that one if possible.

Not me, sir. Fuck gifs for the 2nd week in a row. Not worth my fucking time or effort.

O.city
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Not a huge McCluster fan, but he slipped because he had to dive for a ball that was wobbling thru the air. If that ball is thrown just average he walks into the endzone. No way the ILB covering him catches him. And Breaston ran right by everyone.

Another one where Baldwin made the circus catch if that ball is thrown well it's a td as he had Dawkins beat.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Not me, sir. Fuck gifs for the 2nd week in a row. Not worth my fucking time or effort.

That's cool. Was just curious if it was Dex or Ass Cattle that screwed up.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Not a huge McCluster fan, but he slipped because he had to dive for a ball that was wobbling thru the air. If that ball is thrown just average he walks into the endzone. No way the ILB covering him catches him. And Breaston ran right by everyone.

Another one where Baldwin made the circus catch if that ball is thrown well it's a td as he had Dawkins beat.

It is just maddening how many points this team leaves on the board every week due to shit QB play. That Bronco D isn't any good at all and this team made them look like the 85 Bears.

O.city
11-16-2011, 05:51 PM
It is just maddening how many points this team leaves on the board every week due to shit QB play.

This.

I get that there are going to be open wr missed during a game. The qb is gonna make bad throws as well.

But this is the fucking NFL. It's supposed to be the best of the best. The fact that for 3 years this franchise ran a guy out there who was that hit and miss drives me crazy.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
This.

I get that there are going to be open wr missed during a game. The qb is gonna make bad throws as well.

But this is the fucking NFL. It's supposed to be the best of the best. The fact that for 3 years this franchise ran a guy out there who was that hit and miss drives me crazy.

The OL was bad, Richardson absolutely horrible, and yet those 2 plays are 14 more points and enough to win that game.

aturnis
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
And don't give me this "well the wr. drop too many passes". When the ball is not thrown accurately it's hard as hell to catch it .

Actually, I think he led his receivers on at least 3 of those drops, and another hit Baldwin right in the numbers, but he has a nasty habit of trying to catch the ball with his body.

whoman69
11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
The defense gave up 17 points; they weren't the primary problem.

They only scored 17 because they ran the ball 50+ times because the defense couldn't get the other team off the field. Its not like the offense helped them out, but we made the Doncs look like the '72 Dolphins.

whoman69
11-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Richardson should not be on an NFL roster, yet he starts on this team. If we had even an adequate player there this oline would not be so suspect. The protection up the middle was pretty bad as well. Weigmann is near the end as is Lilja, but they're at least passable on occassion. I think we let the wrong guard go.

KCwolf
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Barry Richardson should be bagging groceries. Dude is gonna get Palko and Stanzi killed if we don't get him off the field.

The Iron Chief
11-16-2011, 09:19 PM
So much wasted time typing couldve been summed up much easier with a simple..

Chiefs Grade week 10 = F

Tribal Warfare
11-16-2011, 09:27 PM
We need a qb. Plain and simple.

Until we get one it doesn't matter what other pieces we add.

I know this has been said before, but that's why we need to see how well Stanzi runs the offense.

Three7s
11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Not me, sir. **** gifs for the 2nd week in a row. Not worth my ****ing time or effort.
I was hoping you'd gif the complete whiff of a tackle McGraw made on Moreno for one of his big runs to the right side. Not that this would be anything new to us.

BoneKrusher
11-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Cassel has allowed 5 sacks this year. ROFLROFLROFL

[/B]

ROFL
Cassel's the best player on the opposing defense week in and week out.

WhiteWhale
11-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Is the team concept lost on you?

I've never seen anyone here blame anything entirely on Cassel. Everyone has a stake in this. Everyone has some responsibility.

Having a bad OL and bad QB are NOT mutually exclusive. You CAN have both. Our QB is worse than our OL. That much I know.

I know because I've seen the Saints, and their OL can't pass protect for shit... Yet Brees lights everyone up anyway.

Outside of Barry Richardson this OL is not so bad a QB cannot succeed.

patteeu
11-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Is the team concept lost on you?

I've never seen anyone here blame anything entirely on Cassel. Everyone has a stake in this. Everyone has some responsibility.

Having a bad OL and bad QB are NOT mutually exclusive. You CAN have both. Our QB is worse than our OL. That much I know.

I know because I've seen the Saints, and their OL can't pass protect for shit... Yet Brees lights everyone up anyway.

Outside of Barry Richardson this OL is not so bad a QB cannot succeed.

In this very thread there are people who are ignoring all of the glaring problems the Chiefs had on defense, in the receiving corps, with the running backs and with the offensive line in order to put the entire weight of the loss on Matt Cassel.

Matt Cassel should be replaced, but that's not where the problems end. Casey Weigman, whose age is going to force him out sooner rather than later, is the only Chiefs offensive lineman with a positive grade for the season on the O line. That's a major problem and it goes beyond Barry Richardson.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Ouch, I didn't even look at the season ratings.

We've fallen on hard times.

Thanks, Scott.

HemiEd
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm so god damn tired of hearing Chief fans complain about the offensive line. THis is the thinking that hasn't landed us a franchise qb in the last 40 ****ing years.

If you replace Richardson with Gaither and Hudson at C, our offensive line is fine. You don't have to have a great offensive line to win in the NFL.

Matt Cassel missed 3 throws Sunday that were touchdown. THREE. If he completes those three passes, that weren't even hard throws, we win Sunday. And don't give me this "well the wr. drop too many passes". When the ball is not thrown accurately it's hard as hell to catch it. Throw in safeties and lbs bearing down on you it's that much tougher.

In today's NFL, when you have a guy open for a big play you have to complete it cause it doesn't happen much. We actually have built a core of wr. that should put up big plays. The mantra of a few years ago that our wr can't get open, doesn't work now.

I endorse this post. Cassel IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM

BoneKrusher
11-17-2011, 02:35 PM

i agree on both plays.

BoneKrusher
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I endorse this post. Cassel IS THE ****ING PROBLEM

so do i.:thumb: