PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Moves

dtrain
11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2011/11/18/13-moves-the-kc-chiefs-should-make-before-the-2012-season/#more-32949

13 Moves The KC Chiefs Should Make Before The 2012 Season

1. Cut Thomas Jones
They’ll never do it. At no point would the Chiefs want to lose his locker room leadership or disrespect the veteran RB.
Yet it can’t be ignored that Jones’ biggest contribution to the 2011 Chiefs has been decking Jonathan Baldwin and costing the rookie half of his rookie season.Despite their love affair with Jones, not even the Chiefs are stupid enough to bring him back in 2012. So why not cut the cord early? The Chiefs need to get a good, hard look at Jackie Battle and they have Shaun Draughn on the practice squad who could be brought up to see some action.
Jones is finished. It is just silly to hold back young talent that might actually develop to save the feelings of a millionaire running back whose time in the NFL is up. Especially in what is sure to be a lost season. Draughn could have a future with the Chiefs. KC will likely get a chance to see him in action in games that don’t matter. They should take advantage of it.

2. Give Palko three games, then give Stanzi the last four
Palko probably is never going to be a starting NFL QB. Still, he’s hung around and won himself a roster spot on the Chiefs. He’s earned at least a brief look and he’ll get it. But unless Palko looks brilliant in his first three starts, the Chiefs need to sit him in favor of a QB with more upside in Stanzi.
KC should use their last four games to give Stanzi some valuable experience. How he plays could greatly impact how the team approaches the 2012 draft. They shouldn’t waste too many games watching a UFL castoff in Palko.
3. Get Barry Richardson off the field, get Jared Gaither on it. This should have happened long ago. Now that the Chiefs have only a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs, it has to happen. Barry Richardson is not only the worst offensive lineman on the Chiefs, he might be the worst offensive lineman in the NFL. Gaither is still young and once played at a very high level. The Chiefs have nine games to evaluate him in live action while protecting, at least for a while, a QB in Tyler Palko they can afford to let get knocked around. Moving Gaither into the starting lineup could perhaps be the most important move KC makes the rest of the way. If Gaither can still play, the Chiefs just need depth. If he can’t they have to give serious consideration to taking a tackle in the first or second round of next year’s draft. Berry Richardson is not the answer. It is time to find out about Gaither.

4. Consider benching Casey Wiegmann
This might be the hardest move the Chiefs need to make and they will probably never do it. That being said, benching Wiegmann to get a look at Rodney Hudson is going to benefit the team in the long-run. The problem here isn’t just that Wiegmann is a veteran but that he has a remarkable consecutive snaps streak that the Chiefs would end if they benched him. Not only that but Wiegmann’s play hasn’t been terrible. Not great but not terrible either. Wiegmann isn’t coming back. If Hudson is going to be the starting center in KC next season, wouldn’t it help to get him some real game reps at the end of this season? I’m not even in charge if the Chiefs and I find it difficult to even talk about ending Wiegmann’s streak. Still, I had to put it on the list. But if Wiegmann does miss a snap through the natural course of things, the Chiefs should buy him a nice Christmas ham and keep him on the bench.

5. Sign Dwayne Bowe right now
The Chiefs need to re-sign Bowe right now while his stock is a bit on the decline. Bowe is a great receiver but I think he has suffered with Matt Cassel as his QB. I am not saying Bowe is the mark of consistency but I do think it is Cassel’s inconsistencies that are the bigger issue here. Signing Bowe now mid-season would probably save the Chiefs a bundle. His numbers are average this season and there are no other bidders. Pioli should strike while he has the chance.

6. Cut Thomas Jones again
Just to make sure.

7. Cut Donald Washington and Shabby Piscitelli
These two clowns have to go. Normally it isn’t my style to just call for the Chiefs to cut people unless I think they have decent people to replace them but in the case of Donnie and Jersey here, I’ll make an exception. My hope is that by totally ridding themselves of all the safeties on the roster not named Berry, Lewis, McGraw or Langford, the Chiefs will be forced to actually go out and get someone better. Langford probably isn’t any good either but I don’t think he is as bad as Piscitelli. And McGraw may be old but on his worst day he isn’t at worthless as Donald Washington. McGraw will be a better safety than Washington when he’s dead than Washington is right now. Once the dynamic duo are gone, the Chiefs can only release Langford and McGraw (in that order) when they’ve found more talented replacements.

8. Time for a new Pope and the return to an O’Connel-free football team
The Chiefs have a love affair with TE’s, which is fine if you know how to draft them. The Chiefs don’t. Tony Moeaki is the only person on the roster or IR list with the letters “TE” next to his name that should be a Chief next season. O’Connel has always been awful so his departure is a no-brainer.
As for my boy Pope, I’ve long been a fan. I’m sorry to say, however, that Pope’s play has slipped. He used to be an adequate blocker and was good for the occasional clutch catch. These days however, the catches are fewer and the blocking has really fallen off. Is there a more terrifying site in football then watching Pope and Richardson trying to block side by side?
It is time for Scott Pioli to stop trying to find bargain basement TE’s in the late rounds. He needs to go out and get a proven blocker in free agency and be done with it already.

9. Say goodbye to Le’Ron McClain
Other than making an almost accurate prediction about the team winning five in a row and making a shouting match between Matt Cassel and Todd Haley on the sideline a bigger deal then it needed to be by dramatically flinging himself between them, despite the fact that neither was trying to get to the other, what has McClain done for the Chiefs this season? He doesn’t carry the ball. When he did get a goal line carry he fumbled it.
Who would have thought Mike Cox would turn out to be more useful than McClain?

10. Freaking activate Jerrell Powe already. And play him.
If I am Todd Haley, I want to see Powe on the field. Gregg was a great pickup but he is in Kansas City to help the 2011 Chiefs make a playoff run. He’s a rental. Since the Chiefs probably aren’t going to the playoffs, the team should start letting Gregg split time with Powe. The team has been playing Amon Gordon over Powe and while I like Gordon, he is average at best. He also isn’t likely to improve. Powe on the other hand, will. It is time to activate Jerrell. They can sit Gordon now. He can come back as depth in 2012. For now, let Powe learn from a once very good true NT in Kelly Gregg.

11. Re-sign Brandon Carr
Good corners don’t grow on trees and Carr is good. If the Chiefs let him go in free agency they will have another hole to fill. There are too many holes for KC not to keep their quality players.

12 A: Figure out what to do with the LSU boys
Jackson is showing some improvement but I think Dorsey has peaked. The fact of the matter is, both of them are way over-paid. I’ve broken down their pass rushing futility in the past so I won’t do it again here. The Chiefs might want to consider dangling Dorsey in front of a few 4-3 teams to see what his value is.

12 B: More Gilberry
Gilberry has been a disappointment this season but it may not be his fault. He put on some weight and has been working to become a more complete 3-4 end. He probably should be in a 4-3 but if the Chiefs are going to consider keeping him, they should give him more snaps to see if he can play a more complete game than Dorsey or Jackson.

13. Find a freaking offensive coordinator already
Enough with the musical coordinators. There is a chance the Chiefs are going to have a new QB next year. This time around they need to get a coordinator in there that is in it for the long haul. Muir is probably not coming back in that role, if at all. Then again, if Pioli decides to rid himself of Haley then all bets are off in the coaching department. In fact, a Haley firing could make this whole list worthless. Especially if the new guy wants to change to a 4-3 or something. For now though, I think Haley is safe.

Fritz88
11-18-2011, 05:06 PM
TEBOW

Okie_Apparition
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Where's Colquitt's raise

Extra Point
11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Keep McClain, keep Jones. Give them different schemes, with what they can do. Jones can run, but only up the middle, on a trap. Make it work.

Agreed with other comments, especially #6, if nothing improves, after two weeks.

The Bad Guy
11-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Keep McClain, keep Jones. Give them different schemes, with what they can do. Jones can run, but only up the middle, on a trap. Make it work.

Agreed with other comments, especially #6.

Keep Jones? What the fuck are you looking at? He can't get past the LOS.

He's also only on a 2 year deal and is an FA.

milkman
11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I was kinda all in with this guy until he hit the last one.

Pioli isn't going to hire a 4-3 guy to coach the Chiefs, and I'm betting that whoever he hires to replace Haley, if Haley is fired, will be saddled with some of the coaching staff in place, specifically Romeo Crennel and Anthony Pleasant.

Probably others, as well.

Extra Point
11-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Keep Jones? What the **** are you looking at? He can't get past the LOS.

He's also only on a 2 year deal and is an FA.

Make it work, is all I'm saying. After two weeks, pitch him, if it don't work. But, it also boils down to #11, above. This season is toast, regarding making the playoffs.

Sofa King
11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Sign Haley to an extension. :)

The Franchise
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Cut Thomas Jones and keep LeRon McClain.

You can use McClain in a RB/FB role. Let him lead block and give him 5-6 carries a game in short yardage situations.

Los Pollos Hermanos
11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd be willing to bet money that Thomas Jones won't be on this team next year. His carries have dropped off. If Jamaal wasn't hurt he would be getting even fewer carries. Locker room leaders get cut all the time when they are no longer productive.

SAUTO
11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
McClain has been doing the fb job lately and doing it fairly well. Lead blocking for battle
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
11-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Cut Thomas Jones and keep LeRon McClain.

You can use McClain in a RB/FB role. Let him lead block and give him 5-6 carries a game in short yardage situations.

I agree, and the other suggestions mentioned in the opening thread.

The Franchise
11-18-2011, 06:06 PM
I would like to see what Draughns can bring to this team though.

And we should be cutting Washington and Pieceofshitty and signing any safety that's out on practice squads right now.

Wilson8
11-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I'd be willing to bet money that Thomas Jones won't be on this team next year. His carries have dropped off. If Jamaal wasn't hurt he would be getting even fewer carries. Locker room leaders get cut all the time when they are no longer productive.

Thomas Jones's contract was for two years. I agree he won't be back in 2012, but the Chiefs won't cut him this year either.

Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:02:51 -0800
Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have signed unrestricted free-agent RB Thomas Jones (Jets) to a two-year deal worth $5 million.

COchief
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Where's Colquitt's raise

He doesn't get dick, he has been doing his best impression of a walking and talking shit-stain this season up until a few games ago. F him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Perhaps McClain has been misused, or maybe he was just really overrated by fans and that's the reason that he came here on a 1 year deal.

I agree with the guy's personnel moves. Richardson had his chance and failed miserably. Wiegmann's streak is a statistical oddity. Who cares about it? However, I don't think that Gaither is anything, either.

The following players should not be back next year:

QB: Cassel, Palko
RB/FB: Jones, McClain
WR: Urban (what a fucking thief)
TE: Pope, O'Connell (still the worst player in the NFL)
T: Gaither, Richardson
G: Lilja
C: Wiegmann

S: Piscatelli, McGraw, Washington

The nice thing is that most of the garbage being replaced are backups (normally), not starters.

Frankie
11-18-2011, 06:36 PM
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2011/11/18/13-moves-the-kc-chiefs-should-make-before-the-2012-season/#more-32949

1. Cut Thomas Jones
They’ll never do it. At no point would the Chiefs want to lose his locker room leadership or disrespect the veteran RB.
Yet it can’t be ignored that Jones’ biggest contribution to the 2011 Chiefs has been decking Jonathan Baldwin and costing the rookie half of his rookie season.Despite their love affair with Jones, not even the Chiefs are stupid enough to bring him back in 2012. So why not cut the cord early? The Chiefs need to get a good, hard look at Jackie Battle and they have Shaun Draughn on the practice squad who could be brought up to see some action.
Jones is finished. It is just silly to hold back young talent that might actually develop to save the feelings of a millionaire running back whose time in the NFL is up. Especially in what is sure to be a lost season. Draughn could have a future with the Chiefs. KC will likely get a chance to see him in action in games that don’t matter. They should take advantage of it.

Palko probably is never going to be a starting NFL QB. Still, he’s hung around and won himself a roster spot on the Chiefs. He’s earned at least a brief look and he’ll get it. But unless Palko looks brilliant in his first three starts, the Chiefs need to sit him in favor of a QB with more upside in Stanzi.
KC should use their last four games to give Stanzi some valuable experience. How he plays could greatly impact how the team approaches the 2012 draft. They shouldn’t waste too many games watching a UFL castoff in Palko.
3. Get Barry Richardson off the field, get Jared Gaither on it. This should have happened long ago. Now that the Chiefs have only a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs, it has to happen. Barry Richardson is not only the worst offensive lineman on the Chiefs, he might be the worst offensive lineman in the NFL. Gaither is still young and once played at a very high level. The Chiefs have nine games to evaluate him in live action while protecting, at least for a while, a QB in Tyler Palko they can afford to let get knocked around. Moving Gaither into the starting lineup could perhaps be the most important move KC makes the rest of the way. If Gaither can still play, the Chiefs just need depth. If he can’t they have to give serious consideration to taking a tackle in the first or second round of next year’s draft. Berry Richardson is not the answer. It is time to find out about Gaither.

This might be the hardest move the Chiefs need to make and they will probably never do it. That being said, benching Wiegmann to get a look at Rodney Hudson is going to benefit the team in the long-run. The problem here isn’t just that Wiegmann is a veteran but that he has a remarkable consecutive snaps streak that the Chiefs would end if they benched him. Not only that but Wiegmann’s play hasn’t been terrible. Not great but not terrible either. Wiegmann isn’t coming back. If Hudson is going to be the starting center in KC next season, wouldn’t it help to get him some real game reps at the end of this season? I’m not even in charge if the Chiefs and I find it difficult to even talk about ending Wiegmann’s streak. Still, I had to put it on the list. But if Wiegmann does miss a snap through the natural course of things, the Chiefs should buy him a nice Christmas ham and keep him on the bench.

The Chiefs need to re-sign Bowe right now while his stock is a bit on the decline. Bowe is a great receiver but I think he has suffered with Matt Cassel as his QB. I am not saying Bowe is the mark of consistency but I do think it is Cassel’s inconsistencies that are the bigger issue here. Signing Bowe now mid-season would probably save the Chiefs a bundle. His numbers are average this season and there are no other bidders. Pioli should strike while he has the chance.

Just to make sure.

These two clowns have to go. Normally it isn’t my style to just call for the Chiefs to cut people unless I think they have decent people to replace them but in the case of Donnie and Jersey here, I’ll make an exception. My hope is that by totally ridding themselves of all the safeties on the roster not named Berry, Lewis, McGraw or Langford, the Chiefs will be forced to actually go out and get someone better. Langford probably isn’t any good either but I don’t think he is as bad as Piscitelli. And McGraw may be old but on his worst day he isn’t at worthless as Donald Washington. McGraw will be a better safety than Washington when he’s dead than Washington is right now. Once the dynamic duo are gone, the Chiefs can only release Langford and McGraw (in that order) when they’ve found more talented replacements.

The Chiefs have a love affair with TE’s, which is fine if you know how to draft them. The Chiefs don’t. Tony Moeaki is the only person on the roster or IR list with the letters “TE” next to his name that should be a Chief next season. O’Connel has always been awful so his departure is a no-brainer.
As for my boy Pope, I’ve long been a fan. I’m sorry to say, however, that Pope’s play has slipped. He used to be an adequate blocker and was good for the occasional clutch catch. These days however, the catches are fewer and the blocking has really fallen off. Is there a more terrifying site in football then watching Pope and Richardson trying to block side by side?
It is time for Scott Pioli to stop trying to find bargain basement TE’s in the late rounds. He needs to go out and get a proven blocker in free agency and be done with it already.

Other than making an almost accurate prediction about the team winning five in a row and making a shouting match between Matt Cassel and Todd Haley on the sideline a bigger deal then it needed to be by dramatically flinging himself between them, despite the fact that neither was trying to get to the other, what has McClain done for the Chiefs this season? He doesn’t carry the ball. When he did get a goal line carry he fumbled it.

If I am Todd Haley, I want to see Powe on the field. Gregg was a great pickup but he is in Kansas City to help the 2011 Chiefs make a playoff run. He’s a rental. Since the Chiefs probably aren’t going to the playoffs, the team should start letting Gregg split time with Powe. The team has been playing Amon Gordon over Powe and while I like Gordon, he is average at best. He also isn’t likely to improve. Powe on the other hand, will. It is time to activate Jerrell. They can sit Gordon now. He can come back as depth in 2012. For now, let Powe learn from a once very good true NT in Kelly Gregg.

11. Re-sign Brandon Carr
Good corners don’t grow on trees and Carr is good. If the Chiefs let him go in free agency they will have another hole to fill. There are too many holes for KC not to keep their quality players.

Jackson is showing some improvement but I think Dorsey has peaked. The fact of the matter is, both of them are way over-paid. I’ve broken down their pass rushing futility in the past so I won’t do it again here. The Chiefs might want to consider dangling Dorsey in front of a few 4-3 teams to see what his value is.

Gilberry has been a disappointment this season but it may not be his fault. He put on some weight and has been working to become a more complete 3-4 end. He probably should be in a 4-3 but if the Chiefs are going to consider keeping him, they should give him more snaps to see if he can play a more complete game than Dorsey or Jackson.

Enough with the musical coordinators. There is a chance the Chiefs are going to have a new QB next year. This time around they need to get a coordinator in there that is in it for the long haul. Muir is probably not coming back in that role, if at all. Then again, if Pioli decides to rid himself of Haley then all bets are off in the coaching department. In fact, a Haley firing could make this whole list worthless. Especially if the new guy wants to change to a 4-3 or something. For now though, I think Haley is safe.

1. Makes total sense, so the Chiefs won't do it.

2. Excellent idea. BTW is Cassel out for the season already? If he is not this idea will be moot.

3. (see 1)

4. Not "consider" benching Casey Wiegmann. BENCH HIM ALREADY! The man is undersized and has a history of losing even more weight by the second half of the season. Add to it his advanced age and he cannot hold off betty White's pass rush. It was painfully obvious in the Denver game.

5. Yep.

6. Not only that, but while we are at it let's cut Thomas Jones also.

7. Two more roster spots wasted. Release Sabby and sign Betty White to play the position.

8. Stanford's Toilolo or Fleener, anybody?

9. Is the word "bust" just reserved for draft choices or cab FEs play this game too?

10. (see 1 & 3)

11. Carr might actually be better than Flowers. He's not perfect but he is the closest thing to the corners Marty's Chiefs used to field that I've seen in years.

12. Gilberry strangely seems lost in the shuffle this year. I also liked him a lot better last year.

13. I hope Haley stays. If he does, I think Zorn will be elevated. I'd be fine with that.

And, BTW, I think 3-4 was Pioli's idea and not necessarily Haley's.

Wilson8
11-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I agree with most of the ideas that this writer had.

Give Tyler Palko a game or two, but find out what Ricky Stanzi can do at QB.
See what Rodney Hudson can do at center. We may need to draft a center early in next year’s draft if Rodney isn’t able to pick up the position.

Find out if Jared Gaither can play. Offensive tackle is definitely a place that the Chiefs need to improve. What is going on with the OT Steve Maneri? On the Chief’s web site, he has no jersey number and he has no picture. Is he our super secret stealth mode offensive tackle?

Sign Bowe and Carr.

Get Jerrell Powe in the game and see what he can do. Again we may be looking for a NT again for next year. Let’s find out what he can do.

Frankie
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Keep Jones? What the **** are you looking at? He can't get past the LOS.

He's also only on a 2 year deal and is an FA.Thank you thank you God.

I'd be willing to bet money that Thomas Jones won't be on this team next year. His carries have dropped off. If Jamaal wasn't hurt he would be getting even fewer carries. Locker room leaders get cut all the time when they are no longer productive.No one should be paid big money only to be a "locker room leader." That's absurd.

Perhaps McClain has been misused, or maybe he was just really overrated by fans and that's the reason that he came here on a 1 year deal. We can do better than McClain. I hope he won't get renewed.

I agree with the guy's personnel moves. Richardson had his chance and failed miserably. Wiegmann's streak is a statistical oddity. Who cares about it? I was gonna say that in my previous post. I don't know why dtrain is so worked up about a Center's streak!

The following players should not be back next year:

QB: Cassel, Palko
RB/FB: Jones, McClain
WR: Urban (what a ****ing thief)
TE: Pope, O'Connell (still the worst player in the NFL)
T: Gaither, Richardson
G: Lilja
C: Wiegmann

S: Piscatelli, McGraw, Washington

The nice thing is that most of the garbage being replaced are backups (normally), not starters.Gaither I'm still curious enough about to wanna keep. The release of rest I totally wish for. And your point about them being backups is quite right. It's a pretty hopeful picture.

Frankie
11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I was gonna say that in my previous post. I don't know why dtrain is so worked up about a Center's streak!

Oops! I missed the link in the thread. It would have clued me in as someone other than dtrain's work. I stand corrected.

DBOSHO
11-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Lol

6. Cut jones again, just to make sure.

O.city
11-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Like Hamas said, it is nice that all these guys we want to be cut, are backups. I know it's the NFL and injuries happen, but when you lose the guys we have lost for the whole year, while having an absolutely awful qb, it's not gonna be pretty.

If we lose to the Pats it should be evauluate for next year time. See who can play and who can't.

I think Pioli has done a pretty good job of turning this roster over. He still ahs alot of scrap to get off the heap. My only problem with him is the qb and the fact that he seems to think you can only bring in the guys you draft and 3 or 4 fa per year.

hometeam
11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I endorse this post for president

Pasta Little Brioni
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
1. Draft and develop a top QB. Why oh why would ones first thought be Thomas Jones. He's a spare yes, but that's not nearly the most important move.

Okie_Apparition
11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Bill Muir wears a leather aviator helmet & knickers on casual friday

Frankie
11-18-2011, 11:45 PM
1. Draft and develop a top QB. Why oh why would ones first thought be Thomas Jones. He's a spare yes, but that's not nearly the most important move.

I don't think the author put the list in the order of importance.

Demonpenz
11-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Glenn Fucking Dorsey

Priest31kc
11-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Agree with everything besides Leron McClain. I'd like to bring him back.

bricks
11-19-2011, 12:10 AM

1. Cut Thomas Jones

Just to make sure.

11. Re-sign Brandon Carr

I agree with all this. I'd like to state my opinion in that I really don't think all this matters. sorry, not trying to shoot down your post bro. but, all these moves don't solve the root of the problem. Unfortunately the Chiefs have sh*tty ownership. Because of that they will always have problems. Thats a reality that is hard to for fans to accept. Sorry guys. It is what it is. Just saying it like I see it. Tough to swallow. And i don't think there is much to hope for except mediocrity and a couple of good seasons here and there. Most of the time they'll field shit teams. Its the truth. Were seeing all this unfold before our very eyes.

Chief fans deserve better.

T-post Tom
11-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I agree, and the other suggestions mentioned in the opening thread.

:toast:

Dave Lane
11-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Make it work, is all I'm saying. After two weeks, pitch him, if it don't work. But, it also boils down to #11, above. This season is toast, regarding making the playoffs.

It already didn't work

Dave Lane
11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Agree with everything besides Leron McClain. I'd like to bring him back.

That