PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports **2012 Sporting Kansas City\Soccer Thread**

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Sporting Kansas City was eliminated from MLS Cup contention after losing to Houston 2-1 aggreagate over the span of two games. They finished the year as US Open Cup Champions and a Kansas City team record of 63 points.

MLS Cup Final | LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo | December 1st, 3:30 CT

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/image_nodes/2012/11/Page_bracket7-10.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OLpnpEmiF5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final Regular Season Eastern Conference Standings
Full MLS standings here (http://mlssoccer.com/standings).

http://i.imgur.com/V3RtD.jpg

2012 US Open Cup Champions. (http://youtu.be/HXnRjuIZXd0)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/301282_4646619890220_1173278421_n.jpg

Demonpenz
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I

Haha I have to give it a rest for a while.

DJay23
11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm very excited to see where this momentum takes SKC.

I plan on attending my first MLS game next year when Sporting visit Philly.

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Sporting Kansas City has decided to protect the following players...

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/11/sporting-kc-unveils-protected-list-wednesdays-expansion-draft

Davy Arnaud
Sporting KC's captain for the last two seasons, Arnaud became the club's all-time leader in regular season appearances in 2011.

Matt Besler
2011 team leader in minutes, Besler was selected to appear in his first MLS All-Star game this season.

Teal Bunbury
Bunbury notched 11 MLS goals in 2011 and was twice selected for USMNT camps under new manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

Julio Cesar
Julio Cesar started 25 matches for Sporting, scoring two goals and contributing two assists during the regular season.

Aurelien Collin
Started 21 matches at centerback and scored three goals in debut season. Also ranked fifth in this year's MLS Castrol Index rating system.

Roger Espinoza
Key cog in the SKC midfield during the 2011 season after strong performance in Honduras' run to semifinal of CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Kei Kamara
Sporting Kansas City's leader in points for 2011, Kamara scored nine goals and contributed four assists in 30 appearances.

Chance Myers
Myers enjoyed a breakout season, setting career records for appearances, starts and minutes in 2011.

Jimmy Nielsen
Continuing his strong play in goal from the 2010 season, Nielsen was voted team MVP in 2011 by media, coaches and teammates.

C.J. Sapong
The 2011 MLS Rookie of the Year, Sapong led all rookies in points, scoring five goals and adding five assists during the MLS regular season.

Graham Zusi
The team leader in assists for 2011, Zusi cemented himself as one of the League's most prolific attacking midfielders this season.

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Unprotected players listed below...some surprises bolded....

Korede Aiyegbusi
Omar Bravo
Daneil Cyrus
Birahim Diop
Jeferson
Michael Harrington
Eric Kronberg
Scott Lorenz
Lawrence Olum
Peterson Joseph
Craig Rocastle
Soony Saad
Luke Sassano
Seth Sinovic
Milos Stojcev
Shavar Thomas
Konrad Warzycha

Titty Meat
11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Mods please change this to the 2012 nobody gives a fuck thread.

memyselfI
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Mods please change this to the 2012 nobody gives a **** thread.

Why do people who don't give a shit click on links they don't care about. Do they have so little self restraint or important things to do in their lives?

Spicy McHaggis
11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Simply based on age and contract, I probably would have swapped Sinovic in for Cesar or (as much as it pains me to say it) Arnaud.

Good call on Ryan Smith, Zach. Seems they got a decent bit back for him. How does the supplemental draft function again?

memyselfI
11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Unprotected players listed below...some surprises bolded....

Korede Aiyegbusi
Omar Bravo
Daneil Cyrus
Birahim Diop
Jeferson
Michael Harrington
Eric Kronberg
Scott Lorenz
Lawrence Olum
Peterson Joseph
Craig Rocastle
Soony Saad
Luke Sassano
Seth Sinovic
Milos Stojcev
Shavar Thomas
Konrad Warzycha

I am not surprised about Omar Bravo. He got a bit bitchy about being excluded from the last few payoff games. I figured there was something besides an injury going on there.

Bummer about Sinovic and Saad. Neither of those are a huge surprise, IMO. I was not a big Sinovic fan but my son loves him. I'm relieved but surprised about Arnaud.

The rest are no brainers, IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
I am not surprised about Omar Bravo. He got a bit bitchy about being excluded from the last few payoff games. I figured there was something besides an injury going on there.

Bummer about Sinovic and Saad. I'm relieved but surprised about Arnaud.

Saad was an unexpected bonus pickup this past year. I do want him to stick around and see if he can continue to develop.

Demonpenz
11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
My friends and I plan on getting a decent tailgate going next year. Next to country suites. The last game my friends went to we kept on more and more people going.

Silock
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Very surprised about Sinovic. He's solid. Plus, I'm a little biased because I used to play with him.

I'm guessing Saad and Sinovic will both be gone.

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Very surprised about Sinovic. He's solid. Plus, I'm a little biased because I used to play with him.

I'm guessing Saad and Sinovic will both be gone.

They can't take more than one. But yes, I agree. I like Seth.

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Via MLS. It is confusing I know.

2012 Expansion Draft Rules
• MLS Clubs may protect 11 players between their On-budget and their Off-budget Roster. If the Player’s contract expires at the end of 2011, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.
• If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the new CBA.
• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
• Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season or Homegrown Players on a Club’s Off-budget Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.
• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster at the end of the 2011 MLS Season are automatically protected (Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).
• Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer international players it may make available not more than one. (See table below).
• For purposes of this expansion process, for US-based clubs, any non-domestic US player would count as an International and, for Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps, any non-domestic US player or non-domestic Canadian players would count as an International.
• Designated players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.
• Once a player has been claimed from a team’s non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.
• Rounds: The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.

|Zach|
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Surprised they protected Davy.

Portland did well for itself as an expansion side having some solid veteran leadership on that team though.

Bravo being unprotected is a calculated risk. Unlikely they want to pay his salary.

Silock
11-21-2011, 11:00 PM
They can't take more than one. But yes, I agree. I like Seth.

Ah, yes. I guess I was still thinking about the last expansion draft.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-22-2011, 07:10 AM
yowsers... that list is all sorts of "wtf"

Demonpenz
11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I am hoping Harrington gets drafted by the Shark bar at Power and Light, he will fit their system well.

|Zach|
11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I am hoping Harrington gets drafted by the Shark bar at Power and Light, he will fit their system well.

LMAOLMAO

CHENZ A!
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Mods please change this to the 2012 nobody gives a **** thread.

Then what would we call the Nebraska threads?

CHENZ A!
11-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I bet we lose Saad. I hope I'm wrong.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Nah, they need starters... I'd be willing to bet that Harrington will be headed north. He's young, talented, very versatile (can play Mid in a pinch and either fullback position), and charismatic. They need players that can put butts in the stands, not prospects. They'll take either Bravo, Harrington, or Sinovic. And I hope it's not Seth.

Trevo_410
11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
definantly going to get harder to beat the epl teams with skc in fifa 13 if bravo is gone...:huh: maybe they'll give better ratings to kamara/sapong/bunbury...

all i have to do with him is get him the ball and run the field with him...

|Zach|
11-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Them taking Harrington is the best case scenario for us that is also realistic. They prob take Seth which would suck. I don't see them taking Bravo. That guy...really does make a ton of money. But if they did? Oh well...we have a billion forwards.

SPATCH
11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Bravo and Jeferson will probably not be taken due to their DP status.

It will be either Sinovic, Harrington, or Kronberg imo. Could still be nobody at all, but I doubt it.

|Zach|
11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Guess we will know tomorrow. I guess SKC has been very active in trade talk. I think a lot of shit is gonna go down in this coming month.

DJay23
11-22-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/22/sportings-bunbury-set-training-stint-bolton

Bunbury set to train with Bolton Wanderers

|Zach|
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Lengthy interview with Cal one of the play by play guys. Mostly fluff but some interesting tidbits from his perspective as an outside who has become a part of the organization.

---------

We announced over eight months ago that Callum Williams would be joining the Sporting Kansas City broadcast team. After an outstanding first season on the call for Sporting KC, we spoke to Cal to get his thoughts on year one in the United States.

Let's start at the beginning, maybe even before you arrived. What were your impressions of MLS in terms of quality, initially? You don't need to compare it to any other league or anything but how did those impressions juxtapose to what you actually saw when you got here and experienced the game live for yourself?

I think to be honest in terms of the standard of the league, it was fairly similar to what I thought it was going to be. I'd watched a little bit of MLS before I came here, obviously. People have asked me before about when I took an interest in MLS, and like most people it was when David Beckham came over. That was a huge, worldwide, phenomenal story, and everyone in the world took interest in MLS, if only for that year, but MLS was still very much a part of national and international interest after that. I always was aware that it was a good standard, although I'm still pretty sure a lot of people don't understand that which is frustrating and annoying.

To be honest, I always said it was on par with the Championship, but having watched it now for the season, I would defiitely say it's at the higher end of the Championship and I think it would be really interesting if you got somebody like an LA Galaxy, to play a Wolves or a Blackburn or someone like that. I think they'd give them a really good game, and they might even beat them.

You've commented about how you're always involved in some sort of chase, whether it's a relegation scrap, or a fight for promotion and obviously this year's playoff run. I suppose that's good luck from a broadcasting point of view, can you comment on the amount of drama you've been around in such a short time?

Oh, it's been crazy (laughs). It's been mental. My previous playoff chasing exploits were a lot of fun. They really, really were. My very first season with the BBC, the team I was covering extensively, Chesterfield, just missed out on the playoffs but they were very much involved and at one stage were looking to win the league and everything. Previous to that, the two teams I covered when I was in local radio, Shrewsbury Town and AFC Telford, they were both got to their respective playoff finals, and covering a game at Wembley was fantastic.

But I knew obviously this is very different to the Football League setup, this is Major League Soccer, this is completely different. And it was different, covering it was different. Actually it was funny, I remember, I think it was after the Real Salt Lake game, or a game around that time. I remember saying "Sporting KC move themselves closer to the promotion...I mean playoffs."
Arlo White did that as well, I believe...

And Arlo White did that as well, yeah! And we actually shared an email about it which was quite funny. But yeah, just one of those things. Obviously MLS hasn't got promotion, doesn't need it. It was just different, but it was a lot of fun, a real lot of fun.

Like any foreign signing, there's always an adjustment period when you arrive in a new country. Personally, what sort of things stick out to you that you'll always remember about moving to the States?

The first two weeks, I must be honest, I got knocked on my backside because of the time change, it really did knock me about. I was actually quite surprised, and I'll be totally honest mate, the first game against Chivas USA, I had no idea where I was, I was just so tired it was ridiculous. I come from the UK time zone, come to the central time zone. I'm really feeling that, so what do we do to cure it? Head to another time zone in LA! That was really, really difficult.

I didn't know what to expect when I came here. There was a lot of people telling me before I arrived that there was nothing here and I thought, 'Well let's go and see it first.' Obviously I came into this with a blindfold on, if you like, but as soon as I saw Main Street with the lights glowing I kinda thought 'Well, I thought they said there was nothing here?"

Kansas City's been fantastic, I love it here, I really do.

What about in the workplace, which in your case is in the commentary booth. A lot was made about you having multiple broadcast partners, is there anything else that sticks out? I would imagine that you worked with plenty of producers and directors that maybe don't know the game as well as what you're used to back home...

In terms of directors and producers, I've been very lucky this year because Chris Wyche, who knows the game very well, he's the director for the away broadcasts. But the home guys, Brad and Rudy, are absolutely excellent, they're fantastic. I think they would both admit that they're learning the game, they're learning the sport, and I haven't got a problem with that. I think that kind of puts me and [Color analyst Jake Yadrich], I don't want to say in charge of the whole broadcast, but it allows us to make shots. If there's an opportunity, Jake will call down and say 'Hey guys, let's keep that for the halftime' or something like that, it allows us that freedom to control the whole show a bit more, which is good, we both enjoy that.

In terms of working with the other announcers, it was a difficult time for us because Sash, quite rightly, wanted to spend time with his family. I haven't got kids, but I can only imagine what he was going through. But I think we dealt with it fairly well, I think we did what we could, some of the guys were better than others, and it certainly kept me on my toes.

Let's go there now, must have been crazy...

It helped me develop myself as an announcer. It certainly helped me learn the League a lot more because different people were giving me different thoughts, and they were obviously from each city so the guy in Seattle knew more about the Sounders, the guy in New York knew more about the Red Bulls, so I got a lot of inside knowledge. To be honest, I think it really, really helped me establish myself as the voice, because there was a different person alongside me every week. We travel with so many bodies and you forget that all the people see at home is what's in front of the camera, and that's me and the person alongside me, so as I said I think it helped develop my voice.

You brought up Jake, and that was my next question. I think it as the match away to Philadelphia when he first joined you. For those that might not understand, try to explain how much easier it is working with a permanent partner.

I think people should never underestimate how important it is to work with someone on a regular basis, even though I did enjoy the challenge! With Jake, he brings such a calming influence to the broadcast and because we know each other and we work with each other day-by-day, we've become really good mates and when he was first announced to come in for the rest of the season, I thought it was a great idea. He's fantastic, knows the game. From my point of view, it's good to know that if I ask Jake a question, I know he's going to answer in 10-15 seconds whereas with the other guys, I had no idea.

I remember one example, my partner at the time, lovely guy, I remember asking him a question, and Chris was in my ear 'Out in 20 seconds'. So I asked him a quick question, 'Briefly..', and 40 seconds later he's still talking!
It's pretty obvious that you've made a great impression with all the fans here, which was interesting because before you arrived a lot of fans were just very curious about who were going to be, and I have a feeling you heard a bit about what some people were saying. What were your emotions about how you might be received , and can you also comment on the support you were given after you arrived?

Look, as a commentator, as an announcer, as a host, you've just got to accept that you're not always gonna please everyone. The one thing that frustrated me when I was read some comments about not being up to a certain standard. It just frustrated me that people didn't give me the opportunity to show them what I could do. But as you said, the fans have been absolutely exceptional.

It's nice now because it's gotten to the stage where people always come up to me and want to talk about Sporting KC. The fans are, I've said it before, we've seen Portland, we've seen Seattle and everything, I think there's a real argument that they are the best fans in MLS. They're certainly the most loyal.

Let's talk about the players for a bit. For you, who's the best interview on the team?

Best interview, ha! I have to say, I don't know if anybody heard, but the 610 show I did with Davy Arnaud and Jimmy Nielsen, that was...interesting. If you're after a serious interview in a short space of time, don't ask Davy or Jimmy!

Speaking of radio, the semifinal against Houston was carried on national television, so you called the match on Sports Radio 810. I know a lot of people have different opinions on that match and why Houston won, but what were your thoughts on the performance?

I think, we were all guilty of going into that thinking 'We're going to win this.' And I think a lot of people were very complacent, because we'd beaten Houston three-nil already during the season...

When you say people, who do you mean?

I think everyone associated with the club, not just fans, I'm talking about all of us in the front office as well, I think we were all very guilty of being far too complacent. I don't know if any of that rubbed off on the players or not, I don't know, I can't imagine it would have. Watching that performance, things just didn't seem to click.

Having said that, I do believe that defensive display from the Houston backline was the most astute and most impressive I've seen all season in Major League Soccer. I mean, Andre Hainault was just impeccable that day. I don't think I've seen a better defensive performance from an individual, since I've got here, and we just couldn't break them down. Houston knew how we played, they'd obviously done their homework, Dominic Kinnear is a fantastic tactician. Especially in the middle of the park, we couldn't seem to grab the ball, whatsoever.

As I said before, though, I think we need to concentrate on the fact that it's been a fantastic year. Who'd have ever thought we'd have even been playing in that game?! It was just a great achievement, it really was.

Okay, so let's do that. And I hate to put you on the spot, because there were a lot of good moments, but for you, the best moment of 2011?

Goodness, me...I think, the opening of LIVESTRONG Sporting Park was spectacular. I've covered new stadiums being opened before in England, and the opening days have been brilliant, but they were nothing compared to the display that the operations boys put on here, it was nothing short of impeccable, unbelievable.

And I remember actually being on the call on the radio, and I remember seeing Davy leading the side out, and I could literally see the emotion coming over him. I've said this before, it's amazing how quickly you get attached to this club, and when I saw Davy as we started the broadcast with the national anthem, I had this lump in my throat looking around at everyone, hand on heart, everyone was so proud that soccer had finally arrived in Kansas City after all these years. And you could see someone like Davy was just so excited and so, so happy. Having known Davy and some of the players for the short time I have, as I said, I got quite emotional, and I didn't think that would happen.

And I wanna ask you about another moment because a lot of people talk about Bravo's equalizing goal against Chivas USA as not only a great moment on the field, but also a landmark moment for you in the booth, with your call on that goal. Can you talk a bit about the build-up, as well as your reaction when it was scored?

I think when I saw the ball hit the net, I felt nothing but joy, it was a fantastic moment. I just remember us being 1-0 down, and at that time we'd not lost at LSP and with all due respect to Chivas USA, we did not want our first defeat at LSP in MLS to be against Chivas USA.

And I remember Besler just hoisting this long, desperate ball forward, and Kei Kamara then challenged I think it was Valentin, in midflight and the ball just eventually going towards the back post. And if you remember as well Dan Kennedy had a fantastic game that day, he looked unbeatable.

I just remember seeing Bravo leap up into the air, like a salmon he was just flying in midair, and just executed this great header. And Kennedy had a really good effort as well he dove up and did all he could but, you know I just remember seeing the ball hit the net and...I've seen a lot of last-minute goals, a lot of last-minute winning goals in my short career, and I dont think I've ever seen a stadium erupt the way LIVESTRONG Sporting Park did that night, that was incredible, it was a fascinating moment.

That goal helped soccer in Kansas City as well because that game was on KCTV5. I think we had the highest rating in local television that weekend, and it wouldn't surprise me if it as one of our highest rated games all season. It was just a phenomenal moment and I could just feel the passion around the stadium, and I just felt the passion as well and obviously I just went mad. I try to keep myself composed when I'm on the call, I really do, but I lost my voice actually I remember feeling the muscles tingling in my throat. It was a great moment.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GtVy-sVm1M8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You touched on Peter Vermes a little bit. Peter is a guy that people don't really see a lot of, but you're part of a small circle that gets to see and speak with him on a daily basis either at training, or press conferences or other interviews. Can you describe him and his style and his personality in the context of other managers you've had the chance to work with in your career?

Peter is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most committed manager I've ever seen, whether it's staying after to work on tactics if he's really frustrated something hasn't worked. And he works very, very well alongside his staff. I think, um, he's just a perfectionist, and that comes across in the way Sporting have developed their style of play. He's an exceptional coach, and I was actually really disappointed he didn't win Coach of the Year.

Now there's a little bit of bias in there, I thought Bruce Arena was very good, I thought Sigi Schmid had a great year, but with all due respect, what Pete had to work with, especially with the ten game road stretch, the way he turned that around, we were bottom of the East for so long, we were bottom of Major League Soccer for so long, to finish at the top of the Eastern Conference? You know, are you kidding? Just a really great guy and a really fantastic manager.
With the offseason kicked off, the focus has shifted fully to 2012 and what changes are going to occur.

What sort of potential do you see for the club next season?

If I'm honest, I don't think much needs to change. Because everybody, right from the very depths of this club right up to the high ends of Robb [Heineman] and Cliff Illig and everybody, everybody has got it absolutely right this year, it has been almost perfect. Had we won the MLS Cup it would have been a perfect season, but you can argue our season's been 95% out of 100%. It's obvious as well that soccer is becoming an attraction in Kansas City.

I remember the game against New York when we qualified for the playoffs, and I remember going out for a couple of drinks after the game in the Brookside/Waldo area. I looked around the bar, and 90% of the people had Sporting jerseys on. It was just a see of blue and I remember thinking to myself 'Well, soccer's arrived' because we all know it's not number one in this country, and that's a crying shame because it's the best game in the world. And I think next year we'll see a lot more people taking interest, and I think the key for the interest is A) the success of the team, but B) the stadium.

The stadium has made everything change and I never got to see CommunityAmerica Ballpark, but I've heard the stories and I've done a number of League Two games and I can imagine what it was like. But LIVESTRONG Sporting Park, is the best stadium I've ever worked in, and I can only see it getting better from here.

Maybe not many people know this yet, but you'll be leaving for a large part of t
he offseason, going back to the UK. What do you have planned, what will you be up to?

Well I've got to keep the throat ticking, so I'll be doing work on some games over there, as well. I'm gonna keep myself busy, but at the same time, I'm looking forward to just giving it a bit of a break. I've got a week booked in Spain with the girlfriend and the parents, so I'm looking forward to chilling out and sitting on a beach and drinking a silly drink or a silly cocktail with a silly umbrella in it!

But also, more than anything, I'm looking forward to going home, and seeing my mom and dad and friends and other family. It's a long time to spend away from home, and I'd never moved away before this year, so I'm really looking forward to it. More than anything I'm looking forward to seeing my girlfriend, haven't seen her for eight months, we've been together for just over four years and it's been tough, it's been really tough. But I will say, the complete and utter madness of this season has helped me get along with things and remember me why I'm here. As I say, though, I'm looking forward to going home but I can't wait to come back in 2012.

I'm so excited, I am so excited for next season.

CHENZ A!
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
That was a good interview. Cal is the man, and I'm glad we extended his contract.

|Zach|
11-22-2011, 08:12 PM
That was a good interview. Cal is the man, and I'm glad we extended his contract.

Hey I have a shot of you from a game...I need to remember to export it. Playing with some of those photos tonight.

CHENZ A!
11-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey I have a shot of you from a game...I need to remember to export it. Playing with some of those photos tonight.

Would love to see it! If it's from the NYRB game, my Pops is probably in it. His bday is coming up in Jan, and I might like to buy a print from you and get it framed to give to him.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-23-2011, 07:37 AM

:hump:

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Just got a promo email regarding the new sporting online store. It launches Black Friday at 12:00 AM. 20% off all orders over $100 and free shipping as well.

Finally. Tired of going to Kansas Sampler and sifting through the 14 items they have left.

SPATCH
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Is it weird that I've been waiting for us to get our jersey sponsor before I buy a jersey? it's weird isn't it?

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-23-2011, 10:10 AM
definitely wierd. or weird.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Is it weird that I've been waiting for us to get our jersey sponsor before I buy a jersey? it's weird isn't it?

Haha. Maybe a bit. I don't mind the whole jersey sponsor thing I understand it but I like having one without it for sure. Just having a solid team one.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-23-2011, 10:30 AM
In that promo email, I didn't see this little didbit at the bottom until the wife pointed it out:

"Purchase two season tickets in the south stand, and get two youth season tickets for free!"

I'll be upgrading from 2 to 4 tickets for 2012 on monday. :thumb:

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Expansion draft is at 2 central folks.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I guess the expansion draft will be streamed live at this page. http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2011/11/watch-2011-mls-expansion-draft-live

SPATCH
11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing Kronberg is gone... I have no basis for that statement. Just a gut feeling.

memyselfI
11-23-2011, 12:59 PM
In that promo email, I didn't see this little didbit at the bottom until the wife pointed it out:

"Purchase two season tickets in the south stand, and get two youth season tickets for free!"

I'll be upgrading from 2 to 4 tickets for 2012 on monday. :thumb:

What a deal. Seriously, great move to try to build the South stand into a more family friendly version of the Cauldron. I wish my kids were younger....

OMG, I don't think I've ever said that.

SPATCH
11-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Montreal plucked Sinovic off of our roster in the expansion draft.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-23-2011, 02:44 PM
add to that - Jeferson, Stojcev, Rocastle, and Lorenz all waived.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/11/sporting-kansas-city-waives-four-players

memyselfI
11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Montreal plucked Sinovic off of our roster in the expansion draft.

:(

Demonpenz
11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds good. We will good again.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Tough loss. Liked Seth a lot especially as a KC guy. This will be a pretty active time though it will be interesting to see what happens.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Transactions that I am aware of have been listed in the thread header. Feel bad we could not keep Milos. He is a really nice guy and a talented player but we have a lot of talent on this team.

Spicy McHaggis
11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Transactions that I am aware of have been listed in the thread header. Feel bad we could not keep Milos. He is a really nice guy and a talented player but we have a lot of talent on this team.

I liked Milos as well. I thought he had a good eye for threading the through ball.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like we picked up Kamara's option. Kei will be here for the foreseeable future.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gHZkm_PR-5Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
11-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Hate Kei's body Language, but can't deny his talent. Reminds me of Randy Moss at times.

|Zach|
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Hate Kei's body Language, but can't deny his talent. Reminds me of Randy Moss at times.

He was too gassed in the Houston game. He didn't have that great of a post season really but gives it his all. I remember the Seattle game before we lost it at the last second being amazed at how much he was leaving on the field. Of course they subbed him and we lost...heh.

Kei links up with Chance real well and has great ball control. He makes things happen other guys can't but yea he could be mentally tougher at key moments.

Dragonocho
11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
All my prayers that they took Harrington crashed with Impact's pick 10. We should not have left Sinovic unprotected. Hindsight in timeline but we all saw this coming.
Sinovic will not do as well in Montreal as he did here because he fit the experience and system here so much better.
Anyway wish Seth well in his Montreal experience.

Demonpenz
11-23-2011, 09:04 PM
He was too gassed in the Houston game. He didn't have that great of a post season really but gives it his all. I remember the Seattle game before we lost it at the last second being amazed at how much he was leaving on the field. Of course they subbed him and we lost...heh.

Kei links up with Chance real well and has great ball control. He makes things happen other guys can't but yea he could be mentally tougher at key moments.

I was feet away from him during the Union game. IDK it was just not the white guy hustle I am used to loving, He is a baller no doubt that can get up for headers though.

SPATCH
11-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I was feet away from him during the Union game. IDK it was just not the white guy hustle I am used to loving, He is a baller no doubt that can get up for headers though.

I think that his diving makes it appear as though he doesn't have as high of a workrate... But dude sells out. He never mails it in

.. and let's be honest, kei puts kids in clown shoes on the regular. He's a baller

Spicy McHaggis
11-24-2011, 11:27 PM
It might be super geeky, but I'm really considering taking the day off to go to the Super Draft this January.

|Zach|
11-24-2011, 11:34 PM
It might be super geeky, but I'm really considering taking the day off to go to the Super Draft this January.

Me and a bunch of Cauldron guys will be there. I have heard it is lots of fun. Will be my first.

Silock
11-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Lost Seth. Fuck.

|Zach|
11-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Some kind of announcement is coming on Monday but I don't think it will be anything big. Seems like it is a player but not a DP.

There are also jersey sponsor rumors floating and they seem to be indicating Google as a sponsor. This isn't as silly as it seems with how closely LSP has worked with the whole broadband thing for a long time and the high tech stuff they are doing. It is in line with talk I have heard for a while but I am still in the "I will believe it when I see it" camp.

People often mention Boulevard as a sponsor but it is my understanding Boulevard and SKC are sort of on the outs.

|Zach|
11-27-2011, 02:19 AM
There are also going to preseason games played prior to the Disney tournament but information about them has not been released.

Reaper16
11-27-2011, 02:50 AM
People often mention Boulevard as a sponsor but it is my understanding Boulevard and SKC are sort of on the outs.
Too bad. That would be the greatest jersey in the history of sports.

|Zach|
11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Too bad. That would be the greatest jersey in the history of sports.

Ha, agreed. It would be a cool deal. But hey, you never know what will happen with these guys at the helm.

RockChalk
11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Some kind of announcement is coming on Monday but I don't think it will be anything big. Seems like it is a player but not a DP.

There are also jersey sponsor rumors floating and they seem to be indicating Google as a sponsor. This isn't as silly as it seems with how closely LSP has worked with the whole broadband thing for a long time and the high tech stuff they are doing. It is in line with talk I have heard for a while but I am still in the "I will believe it when I see it" camp.

Per 810 a minute ago...Davy Arnaud (sp?) was traded to Montreal to get Seth back

SPATCH
11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Per 810 a minute ago...Davy Arnaud (sp?) was traded to Montreal to get Seth back

No way!

That's awesome. Hate to see a guy like Arnaud go, but I approve.

RockChalk
11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
No way!

That's awesome. Hate to see a guy like Arnaud go, but I approve.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/11/sporting-kc-trade-arnaud-montreal-exchange-sinovic

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Not only to get Seth back, but Allocation money as well.

So we basically got about $220k in cap room, AND an undisclosed amount of allocation money.

Most people were clamouring for Seth to be protected with Davy left unprotected in the draft.

Shrewd dealings by the FO. Well played, SKC.

RockChalk
11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Not only to get Seth back, but Allocation money as well.

So we basically got about $220k in cap room, AND an undisclosed amount of allocation money.

Most people were clamouring for Seth to be protected with Davy left unprotected in the draft.

Shrewd dealings by the FO. Well played, SKC.

Have to wonder if this was done prior to the draft and that there was a verbal agreement between the two teams to do this in the first place.

CHENZ A!
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Nice. :clap:

Demonpenz
11-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I wonder if someone kicked him in the face with a ball to let him knowhe was traded.

CHENZ A!
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
We signed the White Puma to an extension through 2013.

Silock
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM

FUCK THE FUCK YES

Silock
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
We signed the White Puma to an extension through 2013.

FUCK THE FUCK YES x 2

|Zach|
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Lots of news while I was traveling today. Good moves guys.

|Zach|
11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Apparently Sporting wanted to announce a 3rd trade today but there was some issue on the other team's end that has delayed the announcement.

|Zach|
11-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Nice to have the crypt keeper back. I like a few of the clips they throw in hear. I got a big kick out of Seth and laughing when Henry was appealing his red card to him. I also forgot when he got scrappy with Landon.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MBHWlLb4yWU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
11-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Jimmy could be up there all time as a fan favorite when his career here is said and done.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EErCIGpkXWs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
And that Houston, is how you work the system.

|Zach|
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
And that Houston, is how you work the system.

Seriously. Pretty shrewd move by Robb and Co.

SPATCH
11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I fux with the white puma for real

|Zach|
11-29-2011, 12:07 AM
James over at Sporting Times has a great write up on Davy.

http://sportingtimes.net/articles/davy-arnaud/

The typical swings and roundabouts of post season MLS kicked into high gear this week. The expansion draft, that somehow feels so long ago left large segments of the fan base melancholy, after losing Seth Sinovic to the Montreal Impact. The question raised by many (but not myself admittedly) was simple: Will Peter Vermes trade with Montreal to get Seth back? The answer turned out to be a surprising yes and while Seth Sinovic is now destined to be with Sporting for the foreseeable future the melancholy hasn’t lifted much.

Getting Seth back from Montreal cost the last great Wizard and Captain Davy Arnaud his home in Kansas City and the Impact an undisclosed amount of allocation money. This is good business, Sporting freed up over $250,000 under the salary cap, received a received an invaluable chunk of allocation money which can be used for paying down contracts, signing players and sweetening deals with other teams and ultimately retrieved a quality young player in place of one that is starting some would have you believe is getting old.

We should be happy right? Logically yes, and if I don my cap of pragmatism the trade is good business but Davy Arnaud is never going to appear in a Sporting KC shirt again and that unsettles me. Jimmy Conrad and Jack Jewsbury left Kansas City last close season, and while Jewsbury was popular it was the departure of Conrad that got the wistful juices flowing. He was the face of the Kansas City Wizards, and Davy Arnaud stepped into his shoes, assuming the captaincy before Conrad was traded to Chivas USA and the mantle of the senior veteran leader in the eyes of fans and management alike.

My ‘relationship’ with Davy has been tumultuous affair. He was the standout player in my early days following the Wizards when they were still mired at Arrowhead, a fiercely passionate and busy player who had the ability to keep pushing and fighting when all those around him seemed to be deflated. To say that he was the heart and soul of the team might overstate things, but he was at times a seemingly tireless and unyielding piston who would drive the team onwards out of pure stubborn will to win. It wasn’t all grit however, Davy Arnaud could strike a ball, could make goals and finish them he was for me the finest player in a Wizards shirt and the first player on the team who I thought was worth remembering.

As a morphed from a casual occasional tourist into a fan and started writing this blog my stock in Davy dipped. An incident which I deemed to be spiteful, classless and vicious during a pre-season game had me wondering for many a month if I would ever like Davy again. It was a moment of hotheadedness that I held against him for what seemed like an eternity until I actually got to know him a bit. Little interactions here and there at training revealed Davy to be quite a captivating personality, fun, with an impish and cheeky sense of humor. He won me back in many ways and as he was named captain and the organization also began its own astonishing metamorphosis Davy became the man once again.

Everything was changing, Conrad was gone, Hartman, Jewsbury. With them Community America Ballpark, the Arrowhead days had one last nostalgic visit as we beat United, Conrad was dismissed and Davy Arnaud once more got a bit excited and tried to wrestle the referees arm down as if it would somehow reverse the red if it wasn’t in the air – it didn’t work, but we still won anyway and the Wizards got to be heroes for day. Good old Davy, always going at a million miles an hour even when he was standing still. I was amazed he stayed on the field.

That said my fondest memory of Davy will be sitting down on some bleacher seats at Community American Ballpark talking, just chatting. Callum Williams was with us, maybe Mike Kuhn and we sat around like regular guys joking around and telling stories about our school days. He turned out to be a great guy, fun, but also direct and sincere, fun and more charismatic than you’d imagine based on interviews. You could see why he was made captain in amongst the shrinking violets that fans would make candidates. He was a natural leader, at least that was my impression, and I don’t think I could doubt a word he said.

He was impressive.

And I’ll miss him … not just because he is a good guy but because I am so used to seeing him play in a Kansas City shirt that somehow it seems a bit less without him. How can it not? A game, one solitary game lasts for 90 minutes, Davy Arnaud has clocked over 20,000 minutes for us. 90 vs 21,607 .. it seems to defy logic. He has been as much as a servant during his decade here as anybody has been in the history of this team and up until the 2012 season his body of work will have been under the banners of the Kansas City franchise.

The guy that I wanted to do nothing but hug after the defeat to Houston, the guy who I dreamed about raising that MLS Cup. Its a cruel game we play and love, yet we all saw the end coming, maybe not so soon and maybe some of us that wished to have Seth Sinovic back now are thinking that maybe the price was too high. Time will tell, and Seth Sinovic seems to have much of the heart and fight that Davy does. That is a comforting thought, as is the idea that this is not a eulogy but a brief goodbye, Davy will no doubt be back in 2012 in an Impact shirt, I have little doubt that he will also be wearing a captains arm band and after he gives the Members Section a wave I am sure that once more he will do everything in his power to win. We may even boo him before the afternoon is out.

I like that idea … too many fans have written him off as over the hill or flagging. He is 31, a child of the 80s, and I think he has a few years to go before he really is staring retirement in the face. I am sure he will have a point to prove, and I would not bet a single cent against him doing so.

Not a single one.

Fansy the Famous Bard
11-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I sat next to James on the bus trip to Chicago this year, good dude. I love it how he switches back and forth from a midwestern drawl to his english accent constantly lol.. it's like he forgets he's english and has to recharge.

Dragonocho
11-29-2011, 08:10 AM
So what is the trade to be announced? IMHO we are trading a forward for defense depth.

evenfall
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I received a Sporting KC "fathead" in the mail, I think from buying FIFA. It's the team's logo, about a foot wide by a foot tall. Anybody want it? Message me your address and I'll send it to you.

EDIT - spoken for now - thanks.

Dragonocho
11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
So we traded for midfielder Paula Nagamura from Brazil/Chivas USA for a supplemental pick according to Twitter sources.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/paulo-nagamura

RockChalk
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Traded for Chivas USA MF Paulo Nagamura

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/11/sporting-kansas-city-acquires-mf-paulo-nagamura

Unfamiliar with him...good trade?

|Zach|
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Attacking midfielder but versatile...he will be playing here for less money than he did in Chivas. People are liking the move. Charles over at the KC Star described it best describing our midfield in distinct roles. Espinoza (bulldog) Zusi (playmaker) Cesar (anchor) Paulo (2 way)

|Zach|
11-29-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/29/mls-announces-2012-home-opener-dates

Our home opener will be on St. Patricks day.

On Tuesday, MLS announced the dates for the 2012 home openers, including the dates for the Montreal Impact's home debut and the inaugural match at the Houston Dynamo's new stadium.

WEEK 1 (First Kick presented by Dick's Sporting Goods)

Saturday, March 10: Colorado Rapids, D.C. United, LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Sunday, March 11: Chivas USA, FC Dallas
Monday, March 12: Portland Timbers

WEEK 2

Saturday, March 17: Sporting Kansas City, Montreal Impact, Real Salt Lake
Sunday, March 18: Philadelphia Union

WEEK 3

Saturday, March 24: Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, Toronto FC
Sunday, March 25: New York Red Bulls

WEEK 10

Saturday, May 12: Houston Dynamo (new stadium opener)

The matchups and the full schedule are expected to be released before the end of the year.

|Zach|
11-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Zambrano to manage Deportivo Pereira in 2012

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/11/zambrano-manage-deportivo-pereira-2012

Zambrano served two seasons in Kansas City as assistant

Sporting Kansas City announced Tuesday that assistant coach Octavio Zambrano will not return to the team for the 2012 season. Zambrano has accepted a head coaching position with Colombian second division side Deportivo Pereira.

Zambrano, 53, was a member of Sporting Kansas City's technical staff for both the 2010 and the 2011 seasons after joining the staff from Hungarian club FC Tatabánya in December of 2009. One of the winningest head coaches in MLS history following stints with the LA Galaxy and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars, Zambrano served two seasons under Peter Vermes before accepting his new position with Deportivo Pereira.

In addition to serving his role as an experienced assistant, Zambrano was also heavily involved in the creation and operation of the Midwest United Sport Association (MUSA), an organization that joins together six prominent Hispanic soccer leagues in the Kansas City area under one umbrella to promote healthy living and positive values.

Sporting Kansas City wishes Zambrano well in his future endeavors, and thanks him for his service to the club.

|Zach|
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Kind of interesting the first game of the MLS season will be in Portland on a Monday night.

Those folks are going to go mother fucking bat shit crazy over there. Should be a fun opener.

|Zach|
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
So the options on two of our players were not picked up. Shavar Thomas and Luke Sassano are available for the reentry draft. So basically other teams get a shot at them and if nobody picks them up we still negotiate to have them. Thomas is done in KC but I think Luke has a chance to stick around. Hoping he does...good guy good player.

|Zach|
12-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Robb indicating another trade is going down tomorrow. He said we won't lose a player though so look for some allocation cash to be spent on someone.

CHENZ A!
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Robb indicating another trade is going down tomorrow. He said we won't lose a player though so look for some allocation cash to be spent on someone.

For real? Any speculation so far as to who or what position?

CHENZ A!
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Another thing i'm hyped for is that SKC said they are going to start selling GOALIE jerseys. My WHITE PUMA 1 is going to be sick.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Ives reporting that SKC just traded an international slot to San Jose for Bobby Convey. Convey was an MLS all-star defender this past season.

Wow.

CHENZ A!
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Whoa. I just love the fact that they aren't content to just stand pat with our roster due to the success we had last year. They realize there is room for improvement and are actively trying to get better. So unlike anything the Chiefs or Royals would do.

SPATCH
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Ives reporting that SKC just traded an international slot to San Jose for Bobby Convey. Convey was an MLS all-star defender this past season.

Wow.

co-sign

|Zach|
12-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Been at a shoot today so I have only read a bit but that is bold as hell.

|Zach|
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Sporting Kansas City announced Friday that midfielder Bobby Convey has been acquired from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for an international roster slot for 2012.

Convey, a United States international and a veteran of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, joins Sporting Kansas City after three seasons in San Jose where he was named as an MLS All-Star in both 2010 and 2011. To date, Convey has scored 11 goals and added 30 assists in 164 appearances in Major League Soccer.

“Bobby Convey has been a difference-maker in this League for many years, with experience at the highest levels of soccer,” Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. “His competiveness and attacking qualities stand out and we feel that he can thrive within the culture created at Sporting Kansas City. We are very excited to welcome Bobby to our club.”

Convey, 28, grew up in the Philadelphia area before becoming the youngest player ever to sign with Major League Soccer prior to the 2000 season, joining D.C. United at the age of 16. Convey went on to make 72 appearances for United before he turned 21, carving out a starting midfield role at the club level and earning his first cap for the U.S. Men's National Team at just 18 years old.

“I am very excited to link up with my new club and teammates,” Convey said on Friday. “The fans in Kansas City are extremely supportive of the team and create a great atmosphere in the new stadium. The team proved last year they are a good team that can win a bunch of games and I hope I can add to that success.”

Due to his standout performances in MLS and for the National Team, Convey drew interest from clubs overseas and eventually secured a move to Reading F.C. of the Football League Championship in England. In 2005, Convey enjoyed a breakout season for Reading, helping lead the club to the Championship title and promotion to the English Premier League the following season.

A skillful and dynamic left-footed player, Convey is comfortable playing any position on the left flank and even enjoyed a spell playing in the center of midfield for the San Jose Earthquakes when he returned to MLS in 2009.

It was with San Jose that Convey ultimately excelled as a defender, drawing rave reviews for his enterprising performances at left back in San Jose's unlikely run to the Conference Championship match during the 2010 MLS Cup playoffs that featured a two-goal outing against the New York Red Bulls in the Conference Semifinals. Convey's stellar 2010 season saw him tied for the league-lead in game-winning assists, as he was crowned MLS Comeback Player of the Year.

Decorated at the international level, Convey - along with the likes of Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley and Oguchi Onyewu - was part of the U.S. team that advanced to the semifinals of the 1999 FIFA Under-17 World Championship in New Zealand. A year later, Convey earned his first full international cap for the United States, coming on as a substitute against Mexico. In 2003, Convey not only captained the U.S. Under-20 team at the FIFA World Youth Cup in the United Arab Emirates, but he was also selected as part of the full U.S. squad that participated in the Confederations Cup in France.

In 2006, Convey was included in Bruce Arena’s 23-man squad that travelled to Germany for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Convey featured in all three group matches for the United States, earning starts against the Czech Republic and Italy, serving in the free kick that led to the equalizing goal for the U.S. against the eventual World Cup champions. To date, Convey has 46 caps for the United States.

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires MF Bobby Convey from San Jose Earthquakes for international roster slot

VITALS
Bobby Convey (CON-vee)
Midfielder
Height: 5-9
Weight: 150
Born: 03/02/1983
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Birthplace: Philadelphia, PA
Last Club: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rz0zO-BGB-4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Quite a showing from our young pups.

The U-17 USA team just beat Brazil 3-1 to win the Nike International Tournament.

3-1 over brazil, 2-1 over Turkey, 2-2 Tied with France.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MPxTHpS7wyE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2011, 12:18 AM
I've always liked Bobbinho, and it's kind of sad to see him move on from the Quakes, but at the same time ehhhhhhhhhn. After the past offseason my expectations for the next few years plummeted, and nothing that's happened since has really inspired any hope (aside from the decent start to the season, followed by like 13 games without a win). The team needs so many changes, and Convey was unhappy, so whatever. I hope he does well as a Spork.

Also, I suddenly got the urge to watch supporters group videos to drive home how far MLS has come since I started following the league in earnest in 2004 (just in time to miss the Quakes' last MLS Cup win ever, lol), and I found this, so I had to share it with people.

oKTgbUaqAX8

I fucking love American soccer.

|Zach|
12-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Great video. Thought I had seen most the stuff like that. Good find.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
That's a freaking expansion team. What a great atmosphere they've developed in such a short time.

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2011, 12:23 PM
That's a freaking expansion team. What a great atmosphere they've developed in such a short time.Actually, Portland easily had one of of the best fan bases in the country well before they got an MLS club. Here they are in the 2007 USL-1 playoffs against Vancouver:

AGAIJxd2Eq8

And I can't not include their tifo from this USOC match against Seattle a couple of years ago:

AucOzX9qqRA

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Actually, Portland easily had one of of the best fan bases in the country well before they got an MLS club. Here they are in the 2007 USL-1 playoffs against Vancouver:

AGAIJxd2Eq8

cheaters!

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it's rage-inducing how entrenched their supporter culture is.

So impressed by SKC, by the by. I hope San Jose can do half as well upon moving into their (probably not even half as nice) stadium next year. The relocation of one of the best teams in the league to Houston and then playing games at Buck Shaw after the rebirth have sucked a lot of the life out of the Quakes, honestly.

And it will never cease to incense me that AEG moved the Supporters Shield winners (and MLS Cup winners the next two seasons) to Houston because they could get a new stadium more easily in Houston, and now both San Jose and Houston are planning to open their new stadiums in 2012.

|Zach|
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Kansas City to host 2012 MLS SuperDraft January 12
ESPN2 to broadcast first round, starting at Noon ET (11 a.m. CT)
NEW YORK (October 21, 2011) – Major League Soccer today announced details for the 2012 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas.

For the eighth consecutive year, the MLS SuperDraft will be held in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention, and take place on Thursday, January 12, at the Kansas City Convention Center, in Kansas City, Mo. The first round of the SuperDraft will be broadcast live on ESPN2 beginning at 11:00 AM CT/12:00 noon ET.

This year, the MLS SuperDraft will include two rounds and 38 overall selections, with the Montreal Impact selecting first overall. The next eight selections are currently held by clubs that did not qualify for the 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish. The remaining 10 positions currently belong to clubs that were eliminated in the same round of the 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish.

A four-round Supplemental Draft will take place via conference call on Tuesday, January 17, 2012.

The 2012 adidas MLS Player Combine will again be held in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., prior to the SuperDraft.
Matches will not be open to the public, so media seeking additional details on the location and time, as well as credentials, should contact Lauren.Brophy@MLSsoccer.com.

Coaches and technical staffs from all 19 MLS clubs, including 2012 expansion side Montreal Impact, will be in attendance to scout the top talent at the 17th annual player combine. The list of participating players, as determined by a select panel of college coaches in conjunction with MLS coaches and technical staffs, will be announced in December.

Thursday, January 12
12:00 PM ET (ESPN2) 2012 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas – Kansas City Convention Center
(11:00 AM CT)

Please contact MLS Communications at (212) 450-1227 for additional information about these events.

Silock
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Been really busy, but wanted to comment on the U-17 friendlies. Our youngins looked REALLY good. They like passing. They were beating people with ball movement and not just speed and 1v1 moves. THAT is what I like to see. They knew how to link up play.

The future looks bright.

Although I can't say I was particularly impressed with the 2nd half vs. Brazil. Brazil missed a TON of chances and played really well for the first 30 minutes of the second half. Then they got frustrated that they were losing and started losing their cool.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Don't look now.

BRAVO SAGA TAKES TWIST: ESPN Deportes' Jorge Ramos is reporting that Sporting Kansas City designated player Omar Bravo will not play any more for the club due to "problems with the head coach." Ramos suggests teams in Mexico, including Club America, are interested.

It looks like it was pulled off the ESPN Deportes twitter since then, though. Not sure if it was incorrect info or posted before it was supposed to have been.

Bravo wasn't the stud we had hoped he'd be coming in, but he's still a very, very good player. And was an integral part of this team. Without him, we don't turn that season around the way we did.

Silock
12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Meh. If he goes, we can easily get someone else that offers what he does.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
The obvious solution there is to sign Anelka* to replace him~

*for 50,000,000,000 Comicbux

|Zach|
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
The U-23 USMNT will face Canada, El Salvador and Cuba in Group A of CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying. Semifinals and final at LSP.

Demonpenz
12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I thought this bump was going to because the MLS annouced their new color scheme on their ball

|Zach|
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Meh. If he goes, we can easily get someone else that offers what he does.

Yea, love to have him back but we are gonna score goals. Oh wellz.

|Zach|
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
97 days until the the first match of next season at LSP.

|Zach|
12-11-2011, 03:37 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/380001_647532233639_58805367_33460661_295496799_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/381571_647531734639_58805367_33460659_803782303_n.jpg

Demonpenz
12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
C.J. Supong, Zuzi, and Besler invited to USMNT camp?

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
This has not been officially confirmed but all signs are pointing to Omar Bravo not coming back this year. He is getting interest from some different Mexican teams.

This would prob make Bobby Convey our starting left wing.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I saw that tweet by Terez Paylor of the Star, in that tweet it was also implied that Terez was making the last tweet for the Star? Any insight into that?

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
And literally a min. later they announce it. Ha.

He is going to Cruz Azul.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/12/sporting-kc-and-omar-bravo-agree-cruz-azul-move

Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has agreed to terms that allow Omar Bravo to return to his native Mexico to join Cruz Azul for the upcoming 2012 season. The 31-year-old returns to the Primera División, where he previously played professionally for 10 seasons. Per club and League policy, terms of the transaction will not be disclosed.

“We want to thank Omar (Bravo) for his time with Sporting Kansas City on and off the field,” Manager Peter Vermes said. “His competitive nature and savviness played a big part in our first season at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. We wish him nothing but success in his new ventures.”

The move will make available an international roster spot and Designated Player spot on the Sporting Kansas City roster.

“I want to thank Peter (Vermes), the Sporting Kansas City ownership, and MLS for a great opportunity and experience during the memorable 2011 season,” Bravo said. “For personal reasons, I am returning to the Primera División but I do not want to rule out a return to Sporting KC and MLS.

“The quality of play in MLS is high and rapidly rising so I feel well prepared for my new challenge. I look forward to following Sporting KC’s continued success and to continuing my promotion of LIVESTRONG and MLS.”

Bravo signed with Sporting Kansas City in August 2010 as a Designated Player, the second of three acquired by Sporting KC in club history, and was subsequently loaned back to Club Deportivo Guadalajara where he ranks as the club’s second all-time leading scorer and stayed for the remainder of the Apertura season. Upon arriving in Major League Soccer in 2011, the former Mexican National Team member scored twice on his debut at Chivas USA, but was forced to miss six weeks of action in April and May after undergoing sports hernia surgery.

In 27 regular season appearances, Bravo recorded nine goals and two assists and was named a 2011 MLS All-Star by MLS Commissioner Don Garber. Sporting Kansas City finished in first place in the Eastern Conference in 2011, but Bravo missed both legs of the Eastern Conference Semifinals and was limited to five minutes in the Eastern Conference Championship due to a groin injury.

Bravo, now with his fifth team in the past three years, will continue his participation as a LIVESTRONG Global Envoy to help the foundation spread its message of awareness and survivorship to the Hispanic/Latino community in the U.S. and Mexico, a cause he first committed to in June 2011.

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I saw that tweet by Terez Paylor of the Star, in that tweet it was also implied that Terez was making the last tweet for the Star? Any insight into that?

You mean the "last one for my soccer fans" part?

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ya that one. I guess he's taking over for DeArmond?

Demonpenz
12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Is there anyway we can get a JagerBomb Banner for Harrington?

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
So both of our designated player spots are open as well as another international roster spot. Bravo made a good deal of money. Robb has some ability to keep wheeling and dealing here should be interesting.

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Ya that one. I guess he's taking over for DeArmond?

Nah, I think what he meant was those specific tweets were about soccer and they were different from his other tweets. He also covers other sports and I think he was just telling his followers about the change in focus.

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway we can get a JagerBomb Banner for Harrington?

LMAO

I am surprised he is still around right now.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Any interest in a CP party at the draft next month? :D

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Here is the thing Robb is crazy.

In a good way.

Robb is full on can't sleep at night because they didn't lift the cup crazy.

This whole thing according to peeps on the inside could be setting up for a *huge* DP signing.

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Any interest in a CP party at the draft next month? :D

I will be there with Cauldron folks. Come by.

SPATCH
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh thank god this thread was bumped. Almost forgot that I support a team that has its shit together.

memyselfI
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I've really liked the moves SKC has done on their off season. Not content with finishing in the top four. They want more!

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh thank god this thread was bumped. Almost forgot that I support a team that has its shit together.

LMAO

|Zach|
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't think the playoff thing was as huge of deal as people made it out to be. With the news of the team he is going to it sounds like they made an offer he can't refuse. Cruz Azul is the real deal.

I wish the guy well.

|Zach|
12-14-2011, 03:53 AM
One of the Sporting owners spotted in the supporter's section. Haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305362_10101269059890740_13906748_74265449_901410887_n.jpg

memyselfI
12-14-2011, 08:36 AM
One of the Sporting owners spotted in the supporter's section. Haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305362_10101269059890740_13906748_74265449_901410887_n.jpg

This is why SKC is such a huge success. The owners have made it a point to be not only own and provide the city a franchise but to make it known they are one of us as fans and citizens of the city. They are so accessible. You can find them on Twitter or as a FB friend. They are in the stands amongst the little people. It's all about the fans.

There is no 'let them eat cake' with these folks. The Hunts could learn MANY things from them. The Glasses never will so not even going to hope.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
It's all about the fans.

It's easy for them to bring that approach when they are as big 'o fans if not bigger themselves.

memyselfI
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
It's easy for them to bring that approach when they are as big 'o fans if not bigger themselves.

They run the team and the organization like we, the fans, would if millions of dollars landed in our laps and we could own a sports franchise. I love them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAZ-kj5y8qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ-kj5y8qc&feature=player_embedded

Ultra Peanut
12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I feel so bad for Revs fans. Fucking Bob Kraft.

|Zach|
12-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Love how the Christmas deal turned out.

Trevo_410
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM

are you the dude with the beard in the video?

memyselfI
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Soccer Jesus?

|Zach|
12-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Ha, yea. I play the role of "guy who gets cupcake stolen".

I will be going on Inside The Actors Studio for my portrayal of this character.

|Zach|
12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Article on ESPN about Teal and his sister Kylie who is an actress making her way into a few movies.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6587278

Demonpenz
12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I just got off the Phone from my ticket agent or whatever that works for sporting kc. It was a fun conversation and I know they were just putting in my information so they can sell more shit, but the guy seemed interested and stuck to whatever script they have. We talked how I got into soccer and I was like. The chiefs and Royals suck dicks.

|Zach|
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM
MLSSoccer put together a cool thing that showed every goal from last year. There are some views that I haven't really seen of some of the shots. There is also the lost footage of Collin acting like he drinking that Portland fan's beer after his goal around the 4 min mark.

<object width="620" height="349" id="cf7b463oi" name="cf7b463on" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/821173/league_2011-12-16-130513.640hq.mp4"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed width="620" height="349" src="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/821173/league_2011-12-16-130513.640hq.mp4" id="cf7b463ei" name="cf7b463en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" /></object>

Dragonocho
12-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Renewed for 2012 but switched to section 105 to get out of the sunlight. Chiefs season ticket renewal found its way to the trashcan.

|Zach|
12-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Renewed for 2012 but switched to section 105 to get out of the sunlight. Chiefs season ticket renewal found its way to the trashcan.

Shield Club? Nice.

JoeyChuckles
12-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I wish Phoenix had a team so I could see SKC live. Though I may be in Chicago in a few months, so it may all work out.

Spicy McHaggis
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM

I thought the Chicago scarf bit was a nice touch.

|Zach|
12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
I wish Phoenix had a team so I could see SKC live. Though I may be in Chicago in a few months, so it may all work out.

Shouldn't be too long until the schedule comes out.

Also, I believe they do a lot of training in Arizona but not sure exactly whereabouts. Not same as a game obviously.

|Zach|
12-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Less than 90 days boys and girls.

http://image.yogile.com/ur3na84p/pwysvrrmo5tzm0fgckotde-large.jpg

|Zach|
12-20-2011, 05:15 AM
MLS Sporting K.C. has sold out of its premium seating inventory for the first time in club history, a rep said. The club last week sold the remaining two of its 35 luxury suites which carry three-, five- and 10-year agreements and are priced between $52,500-85,000 per year.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/12/19/Franchises/Sporting-KC.aspx

|Zach|
12-20-2011, 07:33 AM
How do you top that? That’s the question facing Sporting Kansas City this offseason after a 2011 season marked by the reinvention of the club’s fortunes on and off the field.

Despite starting the year with a brutal, 10-game road trip that saw the club slump to the bottom of the league table with a 1-6-3 record, Sporting staged an incredible turnaround after moving into their sparkling new home, Livestrong Sporting Park. Over the course of a summer defined by packed houses and wild finishes, Kansas City roared back up the table, eventually finishing atop the Eastern Conference with 51 points (13-9-12).

Though they eventually lost 2-0 to the Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference Championship, SKC enjoyed what will go down as a wildly successful season from both a competitive and organizational standpoint in their first full year following rebranding.

MLSsoccer.com spoke to manager Peter Vermes about Sporting’s accomplishments in 2011 and what lies ahead.

MLSsoccer.com: After having a chance to reflect on the season, how would you evaluate the job you did this year?

Vermes: In the vision of the rebranding and what we wanted to achieve on the field going into the opening of the new stadium, we definitely exceeded expectations. I believe we provided a good product on the field, which in turn was very well supported by our fan base. We captured a lot of new people. Our fan base has turned more into a cult following, which is fantastic.

We definitely got closer on the field to the style of play that we would like to exhibit week in and week out. Also, as the season went on, the performances became extremely consistent. That was another huge goal of ours. Those things ended up being very exciting.

MLSsoccer.com: What will it take to get to that preferred style of play week in and week out?

Vermes: I still think we have to give up fewer goals. I also think we have to be able to finish better because we do create quite a few opportunities. We’ve got to be more efficient. That’s going to be a strong push for us in the preseason to make sure we get better in those areas.

As far as signings go, I can’t tell you that we need to get guys at this position or that position. We need to improve our roster from the bottom up to continue to push the guys that are on the top end. We need to really push those guys so the environment stays competitive.

MLSsoccer.com: A theme throughout the season was the emergence of young guys like Matt Besler, Chance Myers and Graham Zusi. Did any of those players’ breakouts really stick out to you?

Vermes: You probably have to say Zusi and Chance. Besler had been playing already quite a bit. Those two guys had not been. When you look at those two players, I’m happy for them and I’m happy for the organization. People don’t realize this but, obviously, we invested a lot in Chance being the No. 1 pick [in the 2008 SuperDraft]. If you go back the last couple years, we have protected Zusi in Expansion Drafts. We believed in them. I am glad those guys have blossomed like they have. Obviously, they have a long way to go as well.

MLSsoccer.com: Do you have any other candidates in the squad that might be ready to make a similar jump?

Vermes: I think Kevin Ellis [might be]. He still has a ways to go, don’t get me wrong, but I think he is a kid I could see taking some strides in 2012. He grew up a lot this year. It was the first time he’s spent a year with a professional team. He’s had to go through 10 months of full-time soccer, which he’s never done before in this intensity and environment.

He started to get some consistency in his training and also really understand his position on the field. I could see that rolling over into next year and really giving him a step up. That doesn’t mean he’s a starter, though, to be clear. He’s still a Home Grown guy who just finished his first year in a professional environment.

MLSsoccer.com: This season was just your second full year as a manager in MLS. What do you think you learned?

Vermes: I think some things just got cemented for me. I believed in a lot of the guys who are here. I think a lot of those guys proved me correct. I’ve said this before, but [this season reinforced] sticking to your guns and staying resolute in what you believe in. Also, just going with your gut. There were a lot of situations where I went with my gut, and they came to fruition. Those are places where I’ve maybe become more confident.

MLSsoccer.com: You’ve talked a lot about changing the team culture. How do you think that aspect of building the squad has turned out?

Vermes: We have a great staff, and we have a great organization. There was no doubt that the culture was the most important thing to change around the team. I think that’s really helped us grow this year. That part is something that I realize – even as much importance as I gave it – just how important it is to overall team performance and success. It’s helped me cement a bunch of things in my mind that are important. Some of them are even more important than I thought. That’s a good thing going forward.

Demonpenz
12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
out of odowds the other day and the shots sh sh sh shots song came on, and I went to the corner and put up my hand and kicked a piece of trash, 2 people laughed.

|Zach|
12-21-2011, 11:30 PM
"Wait so you are saying you moved to Chicago? Thank you....for nothing."

LMAO

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M48wZsCx3wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Spaong + Zusi + Bunbury all get US Mens National Team Call Ups.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/12/sporting-kc-sends-three-us-mens-national-team

Sporting Kansas City will send three players to the U.S. Men’s National Team training camp Jan. 3-20 in preparation for international friendlies against Venezuela on Jan. 21 and Panama on Jan. 25. Sporting Kansas City forwards Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong, along with midfielder Graham Zusi, were each named to the 20-player roster announced by U.S. Soccer on Thursday.

"January camps are a good introduction for players to work their way into the National Team, so it's a prime opportunity for guys like C.J. Sapong and Graham Zusi, while Teal Bunbury continues to establish himself in the player pool," said Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes.

The three players from Sporting Kansas City are tied for the most chosen from any club, following the team’s first place finish in the Eastern Conference during the 2011 Major League Soccer season.

Sapong, MLS Rookie of the Year in 2011, and Zusi, named Breakout Player of the Year by MLSSoccer.com, will be participating in their first U.S. Men’s National Team training camp and are two of only three players on the roster to receive their first selection. Further, Sapong and Bunbury are two of four forwards selected by U.S. Men’s National Team Manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

“I’m very excited and thankful for this opportunity,” said Sapong, who led all rookies with five goals and five assists last season. “I’ve worked really hard for this and look forward to working even harder to take my game to the next level.”

“I'm looking forward to representing Sporting Kansas City in my first national team camp,” said Zusi, who recorded career highs with five goals and seven assists last year. “It will be a great experience and a great way to start the 2012 season.”

Bunbury, currently in Florida with the U.S. Men’s Under-23 National Team in preparation for the CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament, will be the only field player to participate in both training camps. The 21-year-old led Sporting Kansas City with 11 goals in MLS play last season, including two in the MLS Cup Playoffs, and most recently participated in two training camps with the senior squad in the past three months.

“It’s always an honor to be given the opportunity to play for your country,” said Bunbury, who debuted for the U.S. Men’s National Team in November 2010 and scored in his second appearance in January 2011. “Credit goes to Sporting KC for having such a good season. It’s given me the chance to be able to have this opportunity. I’m ready to go into camp and work hard, learn and try to improve my game. I’m very thankful.”

The U.S. Men’s National Team will open the training camp in Phoenix for 10 days from Jan. 3-13 before traveling to Carson, Calif. to continue the camp from Jan. 13-19. The team will then play its first match of 2012 on Jan. 21 at the University of Phoenix Stadium against Venezuela. Four days later, the team will travel to Panama City to face Panama on Jan. 25 at Estadio Rommel Fernandez.

Demonpenz
12-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Sapong is too strong for EUROTRASH.

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
January Transfer window opens up real soon so it should not be long until we hear about this new Spanish DP amongst other signings. Word is Cyrus will be coming back next for CB depth.

CHENZ A!
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
January Transfer window opens up real soon so it should not be long until we hear about this new Spanish DP amongst other signings. Word is Cyrus will be coming back next for CB depth.

I hope the new guy is not a letdown like J was. I wonder what position he'll play, and who would likely get bumped from the starting 11. Also curious about where they'll put Convey..

Demonpenz
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I gave Jefferson the ball on Fifa 2012...and got the red ring of death.

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I think Convey will be our left wing...he is great at serving the ball into the box from the left where Bravo would be one to traditionally try and move the ball inside and attack from the left hand side.

CHENZ A!
12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I just hate the idea of teal or CJ not starting. I know it's a good problem to have but where will everyone fit is what I want to know..

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I just hate the idea of teal or CJ not starting. I know it's a good problem to have but where will everyone fit is what I want to know..

Convey will be able to feed them the rock. We have a ton of attacking options it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a different formation than last year to fit around our unique skill set.

|Zach|
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Sporting News - Best of 2011 American Soccer

In the short term, the past year in American soccer will be remembered largely for the on-field failures, starting with the blown leads in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final and the Women’s World Cup final.

The MLS campaign started off in frustrating fashion as well, with a glut of ties and several horrific injuries dominating conversation. Meanwhile, Real Salt Lake’s agonizing home loss in the CONCACAF Champions League decider was downright depressing.

But there were plenty of positives. Some actually happened on the field as the MLS season was redeemed with a compelling stretch run, some excellent playoff games and a deserving champion in the L.A. Galaxy. But it’s going to be the off-the-field news that marks 2011’s place in U.S. soccer history. From the arrival of Jurgen Klinsmann and the three-way Cascadia rivalry to the historic broadcast deal between MLS and NBC, many of the year’s highlights were about positioning the sport for greater growth in the long term.

With a newsworthy year drawing to a close, Sporting News looks back at the best and brightest of American soccer’s 2011:

Player of the year: Clint Dempsey

This one’s no contest. Dempsey was outstanding for both club and country, combining skill, will and results in a way that none of his countrymen can touch. He led the U.S. national team with five goals in 14 games (no one else scored more than three) and scored the winner in the 1-0 Gold Cup semifinal triumph over Panama, while proving to be a game-changer as an outside midfielder, a playmaker and a forward.

He also has been brilliant for Fulham, which is fighting to stay relevant in the English Premier League. Dempsey has nine goals for the club in all competitions since the start of the 2011-12 season and he had seven in the second half of the 2010-11 campaign, giving him 16 for the calendar year.

No American field player has starred at one of Europe’s big clubs. Dempsey has the tools if the opportunity comes along.

Story of the year: Klinsmann replaces Bob Bradley

In late July, more than a month after the U.S. lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup final, U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati finally landed the coach he’d been chasing since 2006.

Promised full control and paid $2.5 million per year, Klinsmann launched an ambitious quest to take American soccer toward the big time with a new outlook and philosophy that ran the gamut from youth development to jersey numbers. After 16 years, the U.S. once again had a foreign coach and in Klinsmann it had a World Cup winner whose unorthodox approach invited both hope and scrutiny.

“We talked 20 minutes before the (introductory) press conference (in Manhattan)," Gulati recalled. “I said, you understand there are a number of people, not necessarily in the room but out there, that believe right after the press conference you’re going to be walking across the Hudson River. He got it.”

Game of the year: Women’s World Cup quarterfinal

Abby Wambach’s last-gasp equalizer was just one of a host of “did that just happen?” moments over the course of more than 120 nail-biting minutes. From Rachel Buehler’s red card to Marta’s sublime overtime finish and from Megan Rapinoe’s unforgettable cross to Hope Solo’s shootout save, the quarterfinal in Dresden—which the U.S. won on penalty kicks after a 2-2 draw—offered gripping theater that captured the country’s attention and transcended the sport.

Game of the year involving an MLS team: CONCACAF Champions League finals, first leg

Real Salt Lake went to Monterrey in mid-April and played the sort of skillful, mature game we’ve been hoping to see from an MLS team at the highest level, coming from behind twice to forge a 2-2 draw on an eventful night at the Estadio Tecnológico.

Defender Nat Borchers tied the match just before halftime and RSL bent but didn’t break in the face of a Monterrey onslaught after falling behind again in the 63rd minute. In the 89th, RSL’s Javier Morales scored on a brilliant individual effort to put the MLS side in excellent position to claim the title.

VIDEO: Morales' goal

Best 15-20 minutes of the MLS season: Portland Timbers at D.C. United

Two clubs that ultimately would miss the MLS playoffs played a frenzied few minutes of desperate soccer Oct. 19 that included about a season’s worth of scoring chances and close calls that left the RFK Stadium crowd breathless.

“It felt like a schoolyard game,” D.C. midfielder Santino Quaranta told The Washington Post.

Playing to save their seasons, United had a goal disallowed and a penalty kick appeal turned down, the Timbers hit the crossbar and both goalkeepers made spectacular saves. Somehow, the game ended 1-1.

Top Hollywood moment not involving David Beckham: Charlie Davies’ debut

Davies’ D.C. United sojourn didn’t end well, but what a beginning he had. Returning to the city where his career (and life) nearly ended in a horrific 2009 car accident, Davies entered the March 19 season-opener against the Columbus Crew in the 52nd minute, converted a penalty kick in the 63rd and then scored a second on a fine run in the 77th.

“This has been like a storybook tonight,” Davies said. “I don’t think you could write this stuff. You can’t make this up.”

VIDEO: Davies' goal

Gutsiest decision: MLS fines Davies $1,000 for diving

As a league bridging sporting cultures, MLS is in a unique position to impact both. In late June, it accepted that responsibility and launched an effort to change soccer for the better by sanctioning Davies for his tumble against Real Salt Lake. The damage to Davies’ reputation far exceeded the damage to his bank account.

A month later, MLS fined and suspended RSL’s Alvaro Saborío for similar shenanigans.

“If you’re a general sports fan tuning into soccer or you’re a traditional fan of the sport, this is the one piece of behavior both sides agree that they hate,” MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez told Sporting News.

Tweet of the year: Landon Donovan

Davies' dive that led to the June fine wasn’t Davies’ first of the year. In an April game against the L.A. Galaxy, Davies earned an 89th-minute, game-tying penalty kick after falling far too easily for Donovan’s liking.

In response, the U.S. star tweeted: "I got @CharlieDavies9 some gear in case he decides to dive again. Couldn't find a scuba mask though."

Attached to Donovan's tweet was a picture of a red beach towel and a swimsuit.

Most fitting conclusion: Three designated players combine for MLS Cup-winning goal

It really was the only way a team named for a collection of stars could finish off a spectacular season. With the MLS Cup final between the L.A. Galaxy and Houston Dynamo deadlocked, designated players Beckham (header), Robbie Keane (dribbling run and pass) and Donovan (finish) combined for the 72nd-minute clincher. The Galaxy got what they paid for.

VIDEO: Donovan’s goal

Best teammate: L.A. Galaxy MF/GK Mike Magee

The Galaxy’s championship wasn’t only about the big names. Their airtight defense featured a starting back four who’ve represented the U.S. a combined five times, and its roster was filled with players whose hard work gave the stars room to shine.

No one embodied that ethos like Magee, whose effort and diligence in left midfield led to eight MLS goals and whose selfless and improbably successful 47 minutes in goal against the San Jose Earthquakes in June typified his willingness to do whatever the situation required.

Naturally, he credited Donovan and Beckham with establishing the tone in the Galaxy locker room, but Magee’s willingness to be led while setting his own example represents the sort of behavior that builds championship teams.

“You know by our locker room and our atmosphere every day there are guys you want to fight for,” Magee told Sporting News.

He’s one of them.

Top showman: Vancouver Whitecaps F Eric Hassli

The Frenchman provided plenty of fireworks in an otherwise dour debut season for the Whitecaps. His 10 goals and league-leading three red cards were testament to the skill and passion with which he played. One of the ejections came after he earned a second yellow card for tossing his jersey into the stands while wearing another one underneath.

And, of course, Hassli scored the real MLS goal of the year, no matter what the voters say. His incredible chip and almost no-look volley from across the penalty area against the Seattle Sounders was world-class and arguably the most astonishing strike in MLS history.

Several notable players, including retired national team forwards Taylor Twellman and Alecko Eskandarian, agreed. The latter called it “one in a million.”

VIDEO: Hassli's goal

Best feel-good goal: Jozy Altidore

Sure, it came against Guadeloupe. But Altidore’s ninth-minute piledriver in the Gold Cup’s group stage finale sent an emphatic message that the beleaguered 21-year-old (now 22) would have his say as the national team continued its maddening pursuit of a striker who can score consistently.

Altidore missed the tournament’s climax with an injury but began the 2011-12 season with AZ Alkmaar with seven goals in under two months. When in form, Altidore remains the best hope the U.S. has up top.

VIDEO: Altidore's goal

Most historic result: FC Dallas wins at UNAM Pumas

In 25 competitive matches in Mexico, MLS clubs were 0-21-4. The U.S. national team was 0-23-1 all-time on Mexican soil. Then on Aug. 17, midfielder Marvin Chávez’s 66th-minute goal stood up against UNAM Pumas and FC Dallas broke the most infuriating curse in American soccer.

Cynics immediately pointed to the second-string team Pumas fielded that night in Mexico City, but that shouldn’t matter. It always seemed there were forces much larger than a coach’s lineup choices at work when any U.S. team headed south of the border. FC Dallas proved that winning was possible, and everyone associated with American soccer benefits from that confidence boost.

Cameo of the year: Freddy Adu

Adu was named to the Gold Cup team because Bradley wanted to see if he would stay quiet, work hard and behave like a pro. Playing time would be a bonus.

He got off the bench in the semifinal and helped set up Dempsey’s winning goal. On June 25, he was awarded a start the final against Mexico and was the Americans’ best player for significant stretches of the first hour, when it looked the U.S. had a chance.

Adu was confident, creative and full of the promise he showed as a teenager.

He hasn’t played for the U.S. since.

Most impressive work ethic: Wambach

The amount of sweat, effort and commitment the U.S. women’s national team star puts into a given game is evident not only in the grass and mud stains covering her when she leaves the field, but in the results.

That 122nd-minute goal against Brazil was no accident—she ran the length of the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion field (while battling tendinitis in her right Achilles tendon) to get in position, and her late goals in both the semifinal and final are testament to her relentlessness.

It’s a shame that several teammates were unable to rise to the occasion against Japan—Wambach deserves a world championship.

Most welcome epiphany: MLS realizes the playoffs should be longer

Random results, questionable champions and complaints about an apparently meaningless regular season were the result of MLS’ stubborn insistence on a playoff format that required only four games to win the title.

In 2011, the league added two wild-card games that forced the winners to face each conference’s top seed on a short turnaround, giving the rested team a deserved advantage. Starting next year, the conference finals will be two games instead of one.

In 2012 and beyond, championship hopefuls will have to negotiate five or six games rather than four. It’s a significant difference that should produce worthy winners far more frequently.

Most welcome announcement: MLS signs TV deal with NBC

MLS has been on TV since Day 1 but few have noticed. Fox Soccer is a niche network, and ESPN habitually shies away from promoting the league or showing highlights on SportsCenter.

In August, MLS announced a new three-year, $30 million deal with NBC, which will broadcast both league and U.S. national team games over the air and on NBC Sports Network (the re-branded Versus network).

NBC's reach is tantalizing, and its promotion proved so attractive to the MLS officials that they reportedly turned down a more lucrative offer from Fox (ESPN remains a broadcast partner).

Best TV moment: Timbers Army's leads singing of the national anthem

The stirring scene at Jeld-Wen Field as the Timbers kicked off their home MLS schedule in April embodied the most attractive difference between attending a soccer game and going to any see any other major American sporting event: The atmosphere is loud, colorful and fan generated rather than marketer or scoreboard generated. The video of nearly 19,000 Timbers fans and their a cappella rendition of the national anthem went viral, and the idea was copied by the NBA’s Miami Heat a couple of weeks later.

VIDEO: The anthem

Best new brand: Portland Timbers

The Timbers got a lot right in their inaugural season, including the uniform. Instead of sticking to the lazy and tired trend of monochrome kits that could be worn by just about any team in the world, Portland wore a distinctive dark green-and-white primary uniform and a punchy red-and-white alternate that played on its “Rose City” nickname. They are classy, colorful, unique and a model for what MLS teams should look like.

Best MLS owners: Sporting Kansas City

OnGoal LLC, fronted by CEO Robb Heineman, bought the Kansas City Wizards in 2006. This year was their coming-out party. A new name, a stunning new stadium featuring a fan-friendly environment emphasizing social and technological innovations, a creative membership scheme and a commitment to on-field performance have transformed a formerly woebegone organization into a model franchise. Kansas City matters in American soccer, and the message sent to other struggling MLS originals is clear: There are no excuses. It can be done.

Most underreported story: Bradley coaches Egypt

An American getting hired to coach the national team of a country where soccer is the most popular sport is a significant indication of the increasing respect the world has for the American game.

An American coaching the national soccer team of the Arab world’s most populous nation (by far) is historic and transcends sport. Yet Bradley’s move to Egypt has been almost entirely ignored by the American media, which is unfortunate considering the symbolism and potential ramifications of the move.

Bradley’s charge: Qualify Egypt for the World Cup for the first time since 1990. If he does, perhaps the appreciation and respect for Bradley finally will match his achievements.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-12-29/clint-dempsey-abby-wambach-the-best-of-american-soccer#ixzz1i8OE9cCH

|Zach|
12-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Fire fans have been stirring up a lot of shit lately. I really hope we beat the shit out of those mother fuckers next year.

Reaper16
12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Fire fans have been stirring up a lot of shit lately. I really hope we beat the shit out of those mother fuckers next year.
Links? What's the lo-down on this?

|Zach|
12-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Links? What's the lo-down on this?

On Twitter the official SKC account asked people what their favorite memory of Sporting's season was this past year?

A Fire Blogger responded with this...

https://twitter.com/#!/HotTimeOldTown/status/153213564348416000

@SportingKC When Bratislav Ristic performed a world class tackle on Omar Bravo to preserve a #SportingKC shutout in the stadium opener.

Of course referring to this play which apparently wasn't a foul because Omar Bravo's bone wasn't sticking out of his leg.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7LjhCC6src" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
If you are tied with Sapong coming in...that is really nice

Braincase
12-31-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm still learning how to watch the sport, but I have to admit my favorite moment of the season was towards the end of the season, against DC United when DC had an own-goal header for SKC to win.

|Zach|
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
International transfer window is open...

RELEASE THE HOOOUUUNNNDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS!

There are a lot of indications Sporting will be very active but no indications of when we should really start expecting news.

memyselfI
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Congrats, Zach!

Your photo made it as one of the 2011 MLS Photos of the Year.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150500049488887.395955.9733218886&type=1

|Zach|
01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
There are about a million other photos I would pick over some in that set but I really love the Timbers one.

|Zach|
01-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I have some really fun stuff that unfortunatly I can't post right now. Really excited when I get the green light. There is a Zusi shot that looks like a gatorade ad.

memyselfI
01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I have some really fun stuff that unfortunatly I can't post right now. Really excited when I get the green light. There is a Zusi shot that looks like a gatorade ad.

Can't wait to see them especially of Zusi. I think most of those they chose were not great. But the two SKC shots were sweet. Again, congrats.

Reaper16
01-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Congrats!

memyselfI
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
New schedule was released.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?month=all&year=2012&club=13&competition_type=46&broadcast_type=all&op=Search&form_build_id=form-70643c49adce22f75952397f0590794f&form_id=mls_schedule_form

|Zach|
01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
My first glance reactions.

- SKC is part of 7 nationally televised games ALL at LSP. The league really wants that stadium to shine. 2 on ESPN. 4 on NBC Sports. 1 on Galavision.

- From a competitive stand point this schedule feels very favorable. We play LA and Seattle once...Dallas once. Lots of points to be had in this schedule. Unbalanced schedule really hits you when you see all those Eastern Conference games.

- Road trip wise this is a very "meh" deal. Seems like the club and supporters groups are really gearing up to make the Chicago road trip a big deal which is May 12th. Away game at Portland could be nice but pricey. We don't go to Dallas. The big shitty thing is two trips that a lot of people could make reasonably across the span of a season (Colorado+Chiacgo) are one right after the other.

CHENZ A!
01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I have to get in on that Chicago trip this yr.

|Zach|
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I have to get in on that Chicago trip this yr.

Yea, I think it is going to be a big fucking deal. I know that has been the plan pre schedule.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Yea, I think it is going to be a big ****ing deal. I know that has been the plan pre schedule.

I did that trip last year and had an absolute blast.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
International transfer window is open...

RELEASE THE HOOOUUUNNNDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS!

There are a lot of indications Sporting will be very active but no indications of when we should really start expecting news.

For Clarification the US transfer window doesn't start till January 21st. So we've got a couple of weeks still to remain in limbo on any deals.

CHENZ A!
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Yea, I think it is going to be a big ****ing deal. I know that has been the plan pre schedule.

I was kicking myself for not going last year. It's even more appealing for me because I have fam in Chicago.

|Zach|
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
So, aside from the away trip to Chicago the most movement and organization amongst supporters is towards a swing around the great Northwest. It is a lot less money than I would have ever figured.

Sporting plays Vancouver on the 18th and Portland on the 21st of April.

We are finding flights really reasonable.

KC ---> SEA via plane
SEA ---> VAN via train (watch Whitecaps game)
VAN ---> POR via train (watch Timbers game)
POR ---> KC

Looks like we can pull it off for about 400 not including a place to stay.

|Zach|
01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
The rolled out one of my shots for their official schedule wall paper. download that shiittttttttttt

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kansascity/files/Wallpaper%20for%20Web.jpg

http://www.sportingkc.com/members/wallpapers

|Zach|
01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
This is a *great* run down on some different intracies of the schedule especially in regards to planning your summer around different games and happenings in KC. Just a warning some of the commentary with the local events is sort of silly. Why in the world would you want an SKC game to be going on around the time a NASCAR event would be going on. Wah?

All credit to Ad Astra KC for this post. Check out his website.

http://www.adastraskc.org/2012/01/sporting-kc-2012-schedule-with-analysis.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sporting KC 2012 Schedule with Analysis, Stats

Hooray the MLS 2012 schedule is finally here so we can at least talk about something other than potential sponsors for the kit! Check out the Sporting blog post on the schedule to get links to download a desktop background with the schedule, import the schedule into various phones, and other info. With the schedule out I wanted to compile a list of observations by myself and others.

Here is the spreadsheet I have been working from if you want to take a look and see if you find any interesting items or trends.

Unbalanced Schedule

With 10 teams in the East and 9 in the west, MLS has gone with an unbalanced schedule. Many have griped, but that doesn't change the fact that it exists so let's see how it may benefit or hinder Sporting.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AV4rhMOgdO0/TwZs5B8usAI/AAAAAAAAALA/TubkpaKz0ac/s1600/home+away+sporting.jpg

Getting to play three tough Western conference opponents at Home is a big benefit. It is also nice to have Houston and Chicago at home twice given the playoffs last year and the real/fake rivalry with Chicago. Hopefully New England and Toronto will give us some high scoring affairs that will please the home crowd as well. Overall I am pretty pleased with how the unbalanced schedule played out in Sporting's favor.

Conflicts/Synergies with Major Events

Local

March Madness - 3/17 Home Opener vs. New England - Same night as 3rd Round of NCAA Basketball Tournament. Don;t really think it will be too big of a deal since it is opening night, which would be expected to be a sell out regardless of other events. 3/25 at home also is the same night as the Elite Eight, so if local teams like KU, K-State or Mizzou are playing might put a small dent in attendance. But no SKC games conflict with any game nights in the Final Four.

NASCAR - No Sporting games are during NASCAR weekends (April 22, October 21) although part of me thinks there might be an interesting synergy if they timed it right to get some of the 80,000+ people going to the races a package deal on tickets to a soccer game across the street. I just hope we see a Sporting KC die cast NASCAR in the stores this year.

MLB All-Star Week in Kansas City - 7/7 vs Houston - I actually think this might work well for Sporting. A lot of visitors in town might pick this as a non-baseball sporting event to go to if they are in town for the week. In fact I think that would be a god way to market it to Houston fans, if only their poor Astros were good enough to have some All-Stars to watch during the baseball game 7/10.

Chiefs games: No fall dates are on the same day as a Chiefs game away or home. No back to back Chiefs/Sporting games this year.

National/International

Olympics - The Olympic soccer tournament in London goes from July 25th to August 11th. That covers 3 games for Sporting: 7/28 vs Columbus, 8/4 at New England, and 8/11 vs. DCU. The Gold Medal match will be played on 8/11 at 3pm London time, meaning we can watch the US and Teal Bunbury win the Gold medal at 9am before the DC game. (Note: the US has not even qualified yet for the Olympics, but you can watch them do that at Livestrong Park though in March and April!)

FIFA/CONCACAF Dates - the MLS stretched the season to avoid these important dates when your best players may be called up to their national teams. A few teams mutually agreed to move games to these dates but Sporting was not one of them.

Holidays

St. Patrick's Day - 3/17 vs New England - You can bet they will play up the Irish theme with this one against Boston's lost team. I really hope they don't wear green uniforms though. That just smacks of minor league baseball and we have already been there.

Cinco de Mayo - 5/5 vs Montreal - Not really the Spanish side you might be expecting but hey it is the return of Davy Arnaud to LSP so that is a reason to celebrate right? And playing an expansion team, might be just the thing the fans need to give us even more reason to have a good time.

Memorial Day Weekend - Sunday 5/27 vs San Jose - Nothing special here, but maybe with the long weekend more people might come out and tailgate before and after the early start game (3:30pm). Maybe an excuse to have a Parking lot BBQ competition?

Fourth of July - 7/4 at Montreal - yes the team will be away so no fireworks, but that gives you a chance to have a good Sporting KC themed party at your house. Invite people over to watch the early game (6:30p) and then light your fireworks (safely people!)

Labor Day Weekend - Saturday 9/1 vs. Toronto - Early in the holiday weekend. Again maybe a BBQ competition and long tailgate? Maybe Toronto will remember to bring their team player images this year.

Travel Opportunities

As many people have pointed out on Twitter two pairs of road games are only 3 days apart and within car/bus/train distance of each other that you could make a little Sporting vacation out of it: 4/18, 4/21 Vancouver, Portland AND 9/19,9/22 New York, Montreal. Apparently the Cauldron has made claims on at least one of them as THE road trip of the year. Also don't overlook the chance to check out Houston's new soccer specific stadium on Wed 7/18. The kids will be out of school so take two days off and make it a road trip.

Some other interesting stats/observations:

Full sched- Mean and Median length between games is 6.91 and 7. Min is 3, Max is 20.
Home games - Mean and Median length between games is 14.81 and 14.5, Min is 7, Max is 27.
Away games - Mean and Median length between games is 13.97 and 13.5, Min is 3, Max is 32.

Sporting KC ends the season on 10/24 at home. The rest of the MLS including Philly have to play on either the 28th or 29th setting us up for a little extra rest time prior to the playoffs. Nice.

Sporting will be on seven nationally televised broadcasts and all of these amazingly are at Livestrong! So let's make that crowd look good Kansas City. 4 are on NBC Sports, 2 on ESPN2, and one on Galavision. in 2011, 11 was on ESPN2, 3 on Fox Sports, and 1 on Galavision. An improvement but sadly only places Sporting 12th out of 19 teams for national television appearances. Of course NY and LA lead with 21 and 20 respectively. Who am I surprised to see get more screen time: Chivas (12), Dallas (12) DC (12), Chicago (14). Why would anyone want to watch Chicago or New York, they both tied 16 games apiece in 2011?!

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Seems bad luck has fallen upon us.

There has been a DP from Spain Robb had been alluding to for a while as potential January signing. Apparently this mystery player got hurt and might not be an option for us.

He says he is talks with a "long shot" from Europe.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:12 PM
ronaldo, make it happen

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.betinf.com/spain_injured.htm

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:15 PM
walk the "goal" line

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
zach, you know the maximum amount of $$ on a dp contract?

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Also,, what position do we got the least depth at at this moment?

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
zach, you know the maximum amount of $$ on a dp contract?

There is none...that is what makes DP special. MLS has a salary cap but they also want to be able to bring in premier or closer to premier players so to strike that balance each team has two DP spots which are contracts that are outside of the rules of the cap.

So spend it if you got it.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Also,, what position do we got the least depth at at this moment?

We are a solid team all around. We could prob use another midfielder and CB depth.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
There is none...that is what makes DP special. MLS has a salary cap but they also want to be able to bring in premier or closer to premier players so to strike that balance each team has two DP spots which are contracts that are outside of the rules of the cap.

So spend it if you got it.

ahh i see... interesting...:hmmm:

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
ahh i see... interesting...:hmmm:

Yea it is an interesting balance. That way the NYs and LAs of the world can get some bad ass talent but not fill their whole team with it. Meanwhile a team like KC can pony up for 1 or 2 big time contract players without being fiscally irresponsible.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Even though NY doesn't have shit in its trophy case after all these years. LMAO

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:30 PM
That nascar idea is the worst thing I have read ...ever.

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Rocastle signed with the Comets.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:31 PM
That nascar idea is the worst thing I have read ...ever.

Uh yea, there was some good info in that whole thing but when he sprinkled in his own ideas into the mix there was truly some face palm shit.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
these guys need to be added in the youth system... BEAST mode,, changed FOHS soccer all around this year...

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/17/3213709/two-teenagers-from-ghana-building.html

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Is there any rule changes?

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Is there any rule changes?

Nothing I am aware of. I will be hitting the convention and draft pretty hard so maybe something will pop up there I am not sure.

Seems like they are shaking up the way the refs are hired and managed and that whole system. They got crazy heat last year.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Are you getting season tix at all or do you just hit up seats as they come up? Seems you were pretty consistently in the west stands towards the end of the Cauldron though I think I remember you being in the south stands some as well.

It will be really nice having home games spaced out like a normal season. All those games one after the other hit the bank account.

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:49 PM
That Davy non call in the box last year. Wow. Not to go back to that game at all. That one was bad.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
do you know of any college soccer/mls draft/really good mls news websites to get updates from and such?

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
That Davy non call in the box last year. Wow. Not to go back to that game at all. That one was bad.

You talking about the playoff game? Interestingly enough that was about 8 ft away from me and the non call was legit. The big monstrous horrible call of that game was around the same point in the match when Collin got KILLED in the box while a ball was being played in and nothing happened.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
do you know of any college soccer/mls draft/really good mls news websites to get updates from and such?

SoccerByIves.net is kind of your one stop shop for all of that. Really love that site. From an American perspective.

Demonpenz
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you getting season tix at all or do you just hit up seats as they come up? Seems you were pretty consistently in the west stands towards the end of the Cauldron though I think I remember you being in the south stands some as well.

It will be really nice having home games spaced out like a normal season. All those games one after the other hit the bank account.

I think I will buy them as they come. I really have to take it one day at a time in my life, buying them as I can make sure I can go fits that whole deal.

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I think I will buy them as they come. I really have to take it one day at a time in my life, buying them as I can make sure I can go fits that whole deal.

Yea makes perfect sense.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
another question if you're still on, what is a generation adidas contract mean?

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
another question if you're still on, what is a generation adidas contract mean?

Yea no prob.

Generation adidas players do not count against the MLS senior roster and usually earn a much higher salary than the league minimum. Entering into the program automatically classifies a player as professional, and thus disqualifies them from playing college soccer. As a result, Generation adidas players are also guaranteed scholarships to continue their college education should their professional career not pan out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/generation-adidas-class-major-league-soccer-increased-costs-010512

|Zach|
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34667317?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/34667317">MLS Superdraft Promo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user7207575">Rick Riley</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Anyone else hitting up the draft on Thursday? There is going to be a whole crew of us.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Anyone else hitting up the draft on Thursday? There is going to be a whole crew of us.

I want to, but this work thing keeps getting in the way. :deevee:

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I want to, but this work thing keeps getting in the way. :deevee:

Boo to having a real job. But yay to the fact that it gives you money!

CHENZ A!
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I'll be working too, but it's televised I believe. saw in the email that they're giving out skc beanies too.. Zach, if you're at all able to get your hands on an extra one I'll buy you a beer or something! :D

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I'll be working too, but it's televised I believe. saw in the email that they're giving out skc beanies too.. Zach, if you're at all able to get your hands on an extra one I'll buy you a beer or something! :D

I bet I will be able to nab one for you. Mostly because of my good looks.

CHENZ A!
01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I bet I will be able to nab one for you. Mostly because of my good looks.

That would kick ass, I'd really appreciate it!

Demonpenz
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
What does DP stand for?

CHENZ A!
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Early season home games, and hopefully more home playoff games has me thinking I'm gonna need some skc cold gear.

CHENZ A!
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
What does DP stand for?

Designated player

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Beanies? Ah crap, I may be sick on Thursday... Where ya'll meeting up?

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Early season home games, and hopefully more home playoff games has me thinking I'm gonna need some skc cold gear.

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and got a hoodie I like a whole lot.

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Beanies? Ah crap, I may be sick on Thursday... Where ya'll meeting up?

Breakfast for free from the MLS at Johnny's at 8am then walking to the draft at 10:15. Draft starts at 11.

This doc lays out the events for KC supporters pretty well.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1nOXRHL9QeGuN2b43lzYBFQR-ZuwGcRgO1m3ZLMCyM80

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Robb just tweeted this...

Working on 3 contracts. 2 renewals and a newbie. None is DP. Probably announced early next week to keep out of draft noise

CHENZ A!
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I would love for us to get a big name DP. I think we are really going to miss Bravo. Withe Davy and him both gone, who do you all think gets the captain armband?

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I would love for us to get a big name DP. I think we are really going to miss Bravo. Withe Davy and him both gone, who do you all think gets the captain armband?

Besler

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
As far as a DP, doesn't look like any are on our radar atm. With the Spanish DP we were looking at getting injured, we're kind of left out in the cold on that front. Tough luck there, but we have a very good team as it stands. They will continue to search, but aren't going to sign someone just because people feel we need a "DP". Hell, the Jeferson signing last season came out of nowhere. Robb and co have shown their willingness to put the best product on the field they can. They have a desire and passion to win and will open the wallet if they see the right fit.

Best owners in KC.

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Besler or Jimmy are often talked about Captain wise.

|Zach|
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
As far as a DP, doesn't look like any are on our radar atm. With the Spanish DP we were looking at getting injured, we're kind of left out in the cold on that front. Tough luck there, but we have a very good team as it stands. They will continue to search, but aren't going to sign someone just because people feel we need a "DP". Hell, the Jeferson signing last season came out of nowhere. Robb and co have shown their willingness to put the best product on the field they can. They have a desire and passion to win and will open the wallet if they see the right fit.

Best owners in KC.

I would be surprised if they still didn't try and make a big splash.

|Zach|
01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Imgine it is Besler and Zusi we are closed to locking up.

|Zach|
01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Soccer finds its mecca in KC

Convention, which begins today and will feature MLS SuperDraft, adds to big year in KC.

During the summer and fall months, Kansas City certainly felt like the epicenter of soccer in the United States.

With feverish anticipation, Livestrong Sporting Park opened and quickly established itself as soccer’s new national cathedral and arguably the top soccer-specific facility coast to coast.

Both the U.S. men’s and women’s national teams dropped in for games. International darlings Newcastle and Chivas Guadalajara also made appearances. And throughout it all Sporting Kansas City took fans on a wild ride from dead last after a season-opening 10-game road trip to the top of the Eastern Conference table by late September.

But as 2012 opens, Kansas City truly has become the beating heart of soccer nationwide — at least for the next five days — as the National Soccer Coaches Association of America begins its annual convention today downtown, which is expected to draw more than 4,000 coaches and 5,000 more attendees.

The centerpiece, at least in terms of glitz and attention, is Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft, which begins at 11 a.m. in the Kansas City Convention Center’s Grand Ballroom and is open to the public.

But that is only one small part of the goings-on.

The 65th annual convention, which is billed as “the world’s largest annual gathering of soccer coaches” as well as “the largest soccer trade show in the U.S,” features an exhibition of soccer-related technology and equipment, as well as dozens of seminars and discussions on topics ranging from tactics to skill-building practice routines, from marketing to tips for youth coaches.

“I like to refer to this week as Christmas for soccer coaches,” said Craig Bohnert, NSCAA assistant executive director for communications. “There will be an opportunity to learn about really anything and everything with regard to soccer.”

And to learn it from the best.

Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes will be among the featured clinic leaders along with former U.S. women’s national team coach April Heinrichs and former MLS MVP Taylor Twellman.

Tom Byer, who is credited as one of the pioneers of Japan’s grassroots soccer movement, which netted the Women’s World Cup last summer, will lead several sessions along with numerous other well-respected soccer minds, including Australia women’s national-team coach Tom Sermanni and Germany men’s under-20 national-team coach Frank Wormuth.

So, in some ways, Kansas City becomes an international soccer hub for the weekend.

Sessions and clinics are closed to the public, but one-day passes to the trade show Friday and Saturday are available for $25.

The weekend also includes presentation of the yearly NSCAA awards as well as Hall of Fame inductions, but the central focus — as echoed by this year’s convention theme, “Learn. Participate. Belong.” — will be about uniting the U.S. soccer community and empowering the sport’s continued growth.

To reach Tod Palmer, sports reporter for The Star, call 816-234-7732 or send email to tpalmer@kcstar.com

Trevo_410
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
zach, you ever played this soccer sim at soccermanager.com? just found it and it looks quite badass imo

|Zach|
01-12-2012, 01:18 AM
zach, you ever played this soccer sim at soccermanager.com? just found it and it looks quite badass imo

Looks compelling....also looks like a bit of a time suck. Haha

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Damn I wish I was at Johnny's right now.... *sigh*

Demonpenz
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I hope everyone is having a good time. Spppoooorting Kansas city!

CHENZ A!
01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I've got the draft on TV here at the office, and you can hear our supporters loud and clear. Very cool, wish I was there

CHENZ A!
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Seeing a bunch of familiar faces.

CHENZ A!
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Just saw Zach again. Looks like a lot of fun.

memyselfI
01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
OH, this got the SKC juices flowing again. I have missed them so much and to think they start camp NEXT WEEK makes me sooooo happy.

The Cauldron looked great and the production was nice on the KC end. Once again we see how the MLS is bush league. The number one pick wasn't even there? Lame.

And Lexi Lawless, so glad I heard him say something nice about Livestrong because he makes me rethink my pacifist stance. 'He has to earn the autograph.' F/U you ginger prick.

LMAO

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Sporting takes Englishman and South Florida forward Dom Dwyer

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/12/3366862/sporting-selects-dom-dwyer-with.html

Demonpenz
01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
REEEEEACH

Reaper16
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Does Dwyer's selection officially eliminate the chances of Sporting getting an international DP (since Dwyer takes up an international spot)? Or do DPs get an exception?

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Not necessarily. Both Nielsen and Collin are attempting to get their green cards (or so go the rumors)

|Zach|
01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Ok, I am exhausted. Really fun day.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Ok, I am exhausted. Really fun day.

I'm jealous.

|Zach|
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Does Dwyer's selection officially eliminate the chances of Sporting getting an international DP (since Dwyer takes up an international spot)? Or do DPs get an exception?

We are currently in what Peter Vermes described as "hot" talks with 3 DPs. #notapornpost

|Zach|
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm jealous.

It was pretty much what I expected but we had better numbers than I thought we would. Lots of Sporting blue in the crowd. Seems like we were heard.

|Zach|
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSYi-SuPzKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stanley Nickels
01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I saw a soccer sim post earlier; if you aren't playing Football Manager 2012, you're doing it wrong. It. is. incredible. It's comprehensive, difficult, addicting, and absolutely realistic.