PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs We need an outsiders view, even if it is Bill Williamson

Okie_Apparition
11-22-2011, 11:39 AM
By Bill Williamson ESPN 11/22/11 12pm ET

Here are some areas the Kansas City Chiefs need to focus on after a 34-3 loss against the New England Patriots in Foxboro on Monday night:

Recap: In the end, the undermanned and battered Chiefs were tossed around by a superior team playing at home in prime time. However, the game wasn’t all New England. The Chiefs were outplaying the Patriots until late in the second quarter. All but seven of the Patriots’ points came in the final 31 minutes of the game. Kansas City has now lost three straight games, is 4-6 and is tied for last place in the division with San Diego.

Biggest area to fix: The Chiefs need to continue to work with quarterback Tyler Palko. He entered the game with just 13 career NFL passes. Palko was not terrible Monday. Yes, he threw three interceptions and he made some bad decisions, but he was also competitive. He threw for 236 yards on 25-of-38 passing. Expect offensive coordinator Bill Muir -- who moved from the press box to the field Monday -- to stay on the field and continue to work with Palko as the Chiefs try to stay in the hunt for the final six games of the season. They will be now without starting quarterback Matt Cassel, who is out for the year with a broken hand.

Biggest area to build on: The Chiefs’ played very aggressive on defense in the first half. The game got away from them in the second half, but Kansas City was pushing around the New England offensive line and making life uncomfortable for Tom Brady early. Kansas City had three sacks in the first half and none in the second. Also, credit Kansas City for containing New England receiver Wes Welker. He had two catches for 22 yards. His previous season low for catches was five and his previous season low for yardage was 39. Welker is leading the NFL in receptions (74) and yardage (1,028), yet he was not a factor against the Chiefs.

What to watch for: The Chiefs have the toughest remaining schedule in the NFL and they stay in the prime-time spotlight. The Chiefs host Pittsburgh on Sunday night.

Sofa King
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
What exactly is the key point in this article that differs from anything we've already discussed?

htismaqe
11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Palko threw for a whopping 6.2 yards per attempt. Against a very porous Patriots defense.

There's no reason to keep working with him because he either

1) can't throw it deep or
2) they don't have enough faith in his arm to let him throw deep

We're wasting our time at this point.

suds79
11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Tyler Palko had a 49.9 QB rating. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. That's horrible.

I just don't see the point with wasting time with a small, journeymen QB we know 100% for a fact isn't going to be the guy.

Play Stanzi on the 10% chance he turns out to be the guy just to find out and plan on drafting a QB in the first next year.

Boom. Done.

DMAC
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Tyler Palko had a 49.9 QB rating. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. That's horrible.

I just don't see the point with wasting time with a small, journeymen QB we know 100% for a fact isn't going to be the guy.

Play Stanzi on the 10% chance he turns out to be the guy just to find out and plan on drafting a QB in the first next year.

Boom. Done.

All good points.

But, no.

Okie_Apparition
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
incest is not always best
sorry Missourians

Bob Dole
11-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Boom. Done.

The first 2 INTs were as much receiver as QB fault. They were just the sort of crap that happens to a team that is struggling. Pull his INT total back to 1 and it's going to make a difference in that 49.9, probably.

Okie_Apparition
11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I liked the playcalling, even the Urban shuffle
Palko just didn't execute well in his first outing

suds79
11-22-2011, 11:59 AM
The first 2 INTs were as much receiver as QB fault. They were just the sort of crap that happens to a team that is struggling. Pull his INT total back to 1 and it's going to make a difference in that 49.9, probably.

Do we really want to get into the business of evaluating INTs on "if" it was his fault or not. We don't do that for Matt. (cannot believe I actually defended Matt there. :( )

I saw a lot of balls that were thrown behind the WR last night that got tipped up.

I just don't see any possibility Tyler Palko could be anything but what he currently is. IMO it's a waste of time to play him.

htismaqe
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM

The first INT was high and behind the WR...terrible throw, even if the WR was able to get both hands on the ball before tipping it...

TRR
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM

I completely disagree. Both INT's before the terrible throw in the endzone were WAY WIDE. Think of how big of wingspan Baldwin has and he could barely get fingertips on it. The one to Breaston was thrown WAY behind him. He's running full speed, and that throw should either be on the numbers or leading him depending upon the defensive CBs. Those are two throws that an NFL QB should easily be able to make.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I completely disagree. Both INT's before the terrible throw in the endzone were WAY WIDE. Think of how big of wingspan Baldwin has and he could barely get fingertips on it. The one to Breaston was thrown WAY behind him. He's running full speed, and that throw should either be on the numbers or leading him depending upon the defensive CBs. Those are two throws that an NFL QB should easily be able to make.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cassel wouldn't make those throws.

TRR
11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Cassel wouldn't make those throws.

Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device