PDA

View Full Version : Computers Drive Question

Boon
11-25-2011, 09:39 AM
My main PC has taken a dump and does not boot. I have found a PC online to replace it. My existing hard drive is a SATA drive. It has some data I want to retrieve and put on the new PC. It also has Windows XP. The new computer I am looking at has extra bays and SATA interface. My question is will I be able to mount existing HD into new computer to move the data? It surely won't boot to the old drive? After moving the data I would like to wipe old drive and reuse in the machine. Will this work? Thanks

DaFace
11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
That shouldn't be a problem. Your new PC will undoubtedly have at least one open SATA port, so you'll just need to hook up your old drive and go. It'll show up as drive E or F or something like that.

Regarding the boot issue, that SHOULDN'T be any issue. SATA picks the boot drive through software rather than through the old master/slave system, so it should just keep booting to your main drive. If by chance anything DOES get screwed up, you just need to go into your BIOS (hit Del, Esc, or F12 at the first boot screen) to pick the drive you want to boot to.

jspchief
11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Yes you can put it in, just make sure its not the boot drive.

Boon
11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the help!
Will give this a try.