PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Any planeteers familiar with Philadelphia?

wazu
11-27-2011, 09:37 AM
My wife and I are going to be there for an upcoming weekend. Any recommendations of things to see/places to eat? Also will be there through Sunday, so wanting to find a good place to watch the Chiefs game.

Thanks for any recommendations.

jspchief
11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
heh

MIAdragon
11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Its a shithole. My recommendation, dont go.

Amnorix
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not THAT familiar with Philly, but I've been there a few times and have a few thoughts. If anyone professes hardcore knowledge of Philly, go with their thoughts over mine.

1. Two restaurants to recommend -- Melograno, on or about 20th and Sansom, for dinner. DiBruno Brothers, on Chestnut Street between 17th and 18th, for lunch -- if you're in the area obviously, which may not be too likely.

2. Philadephia Zoo is a very good one.

3. Franklin Institute (science museum) is a very good one.

4. Philadephia Museum of Art is, I have heard, a good one. Haven't been myself, but it's got a great view of the river, it would seem, and I've heard good things overall.

5. There's the obvious historical stuff -- Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

It's a great city, but somewhat quirky, I think. Have fun!

Amnorix
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Its a shithole. My recommendation, dont go.

Parts of it are, but parts of any city suck.

Rasputin
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Throw snowballs at Santa Claus / Philadelphia

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Go there once a year (we have a data center there), and I know one thing, get in and get out... And get your cheese-steak from a street vendor!!!

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 10:09 AM
And if you like your dog, don't take him/her with you....Vick's there now...

Rams Fan
11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
3. Franklin Institute (science museum) is a very good one.

The Franklin Institute is awesome.

I've been to Philly once(which was over the summer this year) and pretty much everything is within walking distance.

Rams Fan
11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Go there once a year (we have a data center there), and I know one thing, get in and get out... And get your cheese-steak from a street vendor!!!

Street vendors are awesome. There's like at least 2 for every block.

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Street vendors are awesome. There's like at least 2 for every block.

They are... They remind me bit of the Soup-Nazi.... Just ask for a Philly Cheese Steak and let them do their thing...

PunkinDrublic
11-27-2011, 10:28 AM
The only reason I would ever go to Philly would be to eat at those two rival cheesesteak sandwhiche places Pat and Ginos.

mcaj22
11-27-2011, 10:31 AM
1. Lorenzos Pizza
2. Dalessandro's Cheesesteaks (Pats, Jims, Geno's dont hold a candle, I know this is a minority opinion but I give zero ****s. Dalessandros is an underrated cheesesteak gem that gets no hype. Pats is also good if you get the heart attack (all 3 cheeses).
3. Pending how old you are: Northern Liberties, young little uppity yuppie plaza joint with tons of stuff to do.

as for where to watch Chiefs games, I stay in the suburbs, I rarely plan to spend time in the city (because its a dump/shithole filled with kids walking around trying to look dirty/poor but they live off their parent's trust funds and do absolutely nothing but look dirty and drink PBR mixed in with actual homeless people) So I find an area like Manayunk more accessible to watch a sports game for an old washed up guy in his twenties like myself who isnt looking for city adventure anymore.

I only go to Philly if there is a concert I want to check out and/or Sixers/Flyers games. (I hate the Eagles/Phillies)

burt
11-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Charlies Bar for the Chiefs game

burt
11-27-2011, 10:34 AM
A Chiefs Bar in the Middle of Eagles Country

Chiefs fans gather to watch Sunday's Eagles-Chiefs game at Big Charlie's. (Josh Wheeling)

Sunday, September 27, 2009

By Josh Wheeling
CSNPhilly.com

In South Philly, it’s tough to find a non-Eagles fan – let alone a bar full of them.

Big Charlie’s on 11th and McKean streets, however, isn’t an ordinary bar. It’s a Chiefs bar, a haven for Kansas City football fans to congregate and watch their team, right in the middle of Eagles Country.

It has been visited by such Chiefs legends as Derrick Thomas and Dick Vermeil. On Saturday, it hosted Chiefs president Scott Pioli. It even boasts an Emmy for NFL Films’ Outstanding Long Feature in 2004.

But perhaps the bar’s biggest accomplishment has been converting South Philadelphia natives into Chiefs fans; all but a few of the patrons aren’t even from Missouri.

Owner Paul Stalico and manager Anthony Mazzone grew up in Philadelphia, but because of Paul’s father – Big Charlie – the two have never bled green. They started the bar in the mid-’70s and have been huge Chiefs fans ever since.

Still, they have nothing against Philadelphia fans.

“[Anthony] goes to about 30 Phillies games a year, and I had Flyers season tickets for about 10 years,” said Stalico, who bears a Chiefs tattoo on his wrist.

Convincing a few friends to become K.C. fans is one thing, but the bar’s links with the team’s players makes it easy to get converts.

“You’re talking about Deron Cherry, Art Still, Bill Maas – these guys are all from the Philly-South Jersey area, so we have a lot of people that we’re connected with that are from this area, and just so happen to be playing with the Chiefs,” Mazzone said.

Despite its fame in the team’s community, the bar remains a mystery to many. It has no Web site, so it is not an easy place to find.

Still, it doesn’t have much trouble doing business.

“We usually have a nucleus of about 35 to 40 guys who watch every week in the back room,” said Mazzone. “In the front room and the bar people can come in and watch any game they want, but in the back it’s strictly Chiefs fans.”

The atmosphere isn’t all that different from one in a bar that would be filled out with Eagles fans, with the exception being the back viewing room. It is essentially a shrine – complete with signed helmets, bobble-head dolls and a three-foot-high Native American statue.

One of the Kansas City natives, Liz Wolfe, was shocked and thrilled to find the place.

“[My fiancé and I] were sitting in a car listening to satellite radio the last however-many games,” Wolfe said. “We heard about this place from our lawn guy, and he said ‘I promise there’s a Chiefs bar in Philly.’ We couldn’t find it, couldn’t find a listing, a number, but finally we found it. We’re like family. Arrowhead East out here.”

Delaware native Brian Rudd has been a Chiefs fan ever since he watched Derrick Thomas get seven sacks in a single game in 1991, but he still had never discovered Big Charlie’s. Being able to watch with other Chiefs fans was a great experience, but not a familiar one.

“I enjoy the controversy of being the only one,” Rudd said. “I’ve got an uncle and a cousin that are Raiders fans … so any time there’s a big win I can be the only one to gloat.”

While she still understands that it’s not hard to become a Chiefs fan, Wolfe didn’t expect to find so many open-minded sports fans in Eagles Country.

“The thing I was most surprised about is that most of these people became Chiefs fans totally based on the integrity of the team,” Wolfe said. “Not necessarily being from Kansas City, but because they love the spirit of the team, the players and things like that.”

Red Beans
11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Watch out for batteries...

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Breakfast, lunch AND dinner...

http://digitaljournal.com/img/3/1/3/8/8/3/i/8/6/7/o/Philly_cheese_steak_Hog_Brats.jpg

jspchief
11-27-2011, 10:46 AM
If you go to Charlies, be sure to tell them Chiefsplanet sent you.

L.A. Chieffan
11-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I haven't been there since I was like twelve but if the Barnes is open then that's the place to go. I think its still being built tho

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I haven't been there since I was like twelve but if the Barnes is open then that's the place to go. I think its still being built tho

???????

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9RdnraXdpU8/S_rU3BOX5QI/AAAAAAAADiI/1j0q3n3X1w0/s1600/barnes-and-noble-booksellers.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
The Barnes museum

GloryDayz
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM
The Barnes museum

OK, now I Gotcha....

http://whyy.org/cms/news/files/2009/10/091007pcbarnes_3.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Check out The Art of the Steal, its on Netflix. blew my mind

Simply Red
11-27-2011, 11:19 AM

i think it closed about 3 yrs ago.

Simply Red
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Philidelphia does indeed have some great eateries.

Simply Red
11-27-2011, 11:35 AM
i think it closed about 3 yrs ago.

this may not be accurate, seems I heard it on CP.

burt
11-27-2011, 02:49 PM

I would do that if Domer was with me.

Phobia
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

I don't think the establishment has a problem with ChiefsPlanet. I think it's just that guy from NEPA who claims to be a big shot with the owners of Charlies. That's nothing new. That guy frequently overstates things.

DaKCMan AP
11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
If you want to be Awesome like DaKCMan AP you can run up the steps like Rocky in front of the Museum of Art, eat at Jim's Steaks, and get kicked out of Independence Hall.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/68878_10100546586787511_2000374_72554571_5747226_n.jpg

2bikemike
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
1. Lorenzos Pizza
2. Dalessandro's Cheesesteaks (Pats, Jims, Geno's dont hold a candle, I know this is a minority opinion but I give zero ****s. Dalessandros is an underrated cheesesteak gem that gets no hype. Pats is also good if you get the heart attack (all 3 cheeses).
3. Pending how old you are: Northern Liberties, young little uppity yuppie plaza joint with tons of stuff to do.

as for where to watch Chiefs games, I stay in the suburbs, I rarely plan to spend time in the city (because its a dump/shithole filled with kids walking around trying to look dirty/poor but they live off their parent's trust funds and do absolutely nothing but look dirty and drink PBR mixed in with actual homeless people) So I find an area like Manayunk more accessible to watch a sports game for an old washed up guy in his twenties like myself who isnt looking for city adventure anymore.

I only go to Philly if there is a concert I want to check out and/or Sixers/Flyers games. (I hate the Eagles/Phillies)

Pats and Genos suck monkey balls, Dellessandros is the best in the area IMHO.

KCinNY
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Philly???

Been there...the people (all of the people)are depraved, self-loathing assholes.

1ChiefsDan
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Big Charlies Saloon in South Philly is a Chiefs bar.

Phobia
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Big Charlies Saloon in South Philly is a Chiefs bar.

I'm glad you posted this...

Brock
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Big Charlies Saloon in South Philly is a gay bar.

fyp

Simply Red
11-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Philly???

Been there...the people (all of the people)are depraved, self-loathing assholes.

ROFL

wazu
11-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks, all. I'll be sure to wear my Chiefsplanet shirt to Charlie's.

Gonzo
11-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I hear they're famous for some sort of sammich. Might wanna check that out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mojo Jojo
11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
The Mint, Liberty Bell, Liberty Hall...must do's

wazu
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Anybody have an address or phone number for Big Charlie's Saloon? Can't find anything online. Found a twitter account for @bigcharlies that is active which Josh Looney follows, but even it's profile offers no information. (Nor does their Facebook page.) "South Philly" is all the detail available.

wazu
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Okay, found it. By the way, Philadelphia is a great city. Nicest people I've encountered anywhere in my travels. Great restaurants and gotta say "Big Charlie's Saloon" is the best Chiefs bar I've ever been in, anywhere. (And yes, it's still very much open.)

DaKCMan AP
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Okay, found it. By the way, Philadelphia is a great city. Nicest people I've encountered anywhere in my travels. Great restaurants and gotta say "Big Charlie's Saloon" is the best Chiefs bar I've ever been in, anywhere. (And yes, it's still very much open.)

You must not travel much.

-King-
12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Philadelphia is a shitty city. Can't wait to move back to kc in 2 weeks
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
What are the odds that the 17 people you met in Philly were every single nice person in the area? You should have bought a lottery ticket. Did you drink some black and tans?

Bwana
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
By the way, Philadelphia is a great city. Nicest people I've encountered anywhere in my travels.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to get out more.

kc rush
12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Been once and don't care to go again. I thought Constitution Hall, the Liberty Bell and the other things in that area were interesting, but I wasn't a fan of the city. My sister-in-law did her residency there so we spent some time with her.

Between her stories and the stories from a buddy of mine who went to Penn, I don't feel the need to go back.

Bearcat
12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
What are the odds that the 17 people you met in Philly were every single nice person in the area? You should have bought a lottery ticket. Did you drink some black and tans?

I was hoping the first 10 people I met were the only assholes in the area, but by the time I got to 17 straight assholes, I started to think it might be a trend.

chiefqueen
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Went there for a conference 3.5 yrs ago, caught a bad cold there, return flight didn't leave until 12:30 AM b/c our plane was coming from a part of the country experiencing severe weather that night (it was May). Sat next to the only guy on the plane that wanted to work, everybody had their lights off.