PDA

View Full Version : News Tired of the Credit Card/Insurance Junk mail? - Here is how to end it

bevischief
12-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Takes less than a minute. Secure site. Just enter your information and done...

5 year block electronically or you can sign and mail in a form and get your permanent lifetime ban if you would like

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

Sofa King
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
You signed up and this works?

I'm pretty ****ing sick of Chase sending me shit every few days. Discover as well.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I get the most junk mail from credit card companies i'm a customer of.

The Franchise
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I get the most junk mail from credit card companies i'm a customer of.

This.

loochy
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
It's got to be legit because it is linked from the Federal Trade Commission's website.

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer/partners_buttons.shtm

R8RFAN
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
If you freeze your credit they can't access it to see if you are worthy of their credit card.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
If you freeze your credit they can't access it to see if you are worthy of their credit card.

I don't think they care.

R8RFAN
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't think they care.

One thing good about the bad economy is I get very little junk mail now.

Bob Dole
12-01-2011, 01:50 PM
It's more entertaining to remove any identifying info and bar codes, save it up, then mail back other junk mail in their prepaid envelopes.

bevischief
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I signed up.

bevischief
12-01-2011, 02:06 PM
It's more entertaining to remove any identifying info and bar codes, save it up, then mail back other junk mail in their prepaid envelopes.

I have a friend that him and his kids did that on the weekends.

R8RFAN
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
too time consuming, Shredder sits beside door and I never even open it....

listopencil
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

I wonder if it would cost them more if I slipped a flat piece of metal into the envelope to add weight?

listopencil
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe even some cheap fishing weights.

Extra Point
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Think of the money saved in doing this, to the USPS and to the offerers!

If they want to know about my credit-worthiness, they can contact my bank, with whom I've done but a smattering of business, over the last 26 years.

Thanks for playing.

chiefzilla1501
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
This is stupid. Junk mail/telemarketing are inconvenient for you, but they are necessary for a company to do business. Do you know how much marketing costs have gone up for companies because they have to wade through all kinds of red tape just to get the permission to contact a prospect? I have gone through the process and it's ridiculously painful and complicated.

Because you are mildly inconvenienced, we have significantly increased the cost of doing business for these businesses. Is it worth it?

Rain Man
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
As a reminder, it is still your civic duty to complete any market research surveys that come to you in the mail.

Dayze
12-02-2011, 10:03 AM

LMAO

that's a helluva an idea. I need to do that.

loochy
12-02-2011, 10:18 AM
This is stupid. Junk mail/telemarketing are inconvenient for you, but they are necessary for a company to do business. Do you know how much marketing costs have gone up for companies because they have to wade through all kinds of red tape just to get the permission to contact a prospect? I have gone through the process and it's ridiculously painful and complicated.

Because you are mildly inconvenienced, we have significantly increased the cost of doing business for these businesses. Is it worth it?

Yes.

If I want your stupid ass credit card I know where to sign up.

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
It works... did it a few years ago, and now I only get junk mail for the credit card and bank I use. Unfortunately, mortgage insurance offers aren't covered, but those stopped a couple of months after buying the house.

Eh, I used to get offers from Chase all the time... seemed like it was at least once per week. There was no opt-out URL, and every time I called, I gave up after being on hold for 10-20+ minutes. If it wasn't for Chase and other companies I've had similar experiences with, I might agree with you... make it easy for me to opt out, and I could spend a few minutes a month opting out of junk mail instead of signing up for something like this that says no to everything. And if I'm not going to use your product anyway, why does it matter? You save a tree, I save the risk of identity theft (if it's a credit card offer) and the hassle of getting snail mail... win-win.

vailpass
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
As a reminder, it is still your civic duty to complete any market research surveys that come to you in the mail.

LMAO

loochy
12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't even understand why they send out these mails. Does anyone even read them, let alone sign up for them?

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM

this

It's the adult version of the adolescent rebel in me

vailpass
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't even understand why they send out these mails. Does anyone even read them, let alone sign up for them?

Oh yes. They don't spend the money on the mailings without numbers that make it worthwhile to do so.

loochy
12-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Oh yes. They don't spend the money on the mailings without numbers that make it worthwhile to do so.

Then my next question is WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!

vailpass
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Then my next question is WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!

I don't know. One of my dad's buddies owns a target and fullfillment business that does exactly what is being discussed in this thread. Dad calls him the "junk mailionaire".

Bump
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
whatever happened to the good old days of taping the postage paid return envelope onto a box of rocks?

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
whatever happened to the good old days of taping the postage paid return envelope onto a box of rocks?

what ever happened to the good old days of reading the thread before you post?

vailpass
12-02-2011, 11:01 AM

LMAO

teedubya
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
These credit card companies send out the "prepaid" envelopes for you to send in your applications... they ONLY get charged when you mail it back.

SOOOOO.... add a bunch of heavy shit into the envelope and mail them back to them. That's what I do.

Bump
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

ya, it's about getting junk mail from credit card companies. Back in the day, we'd tape the return envelope to a box of rocks and ship it. They probably paid $30 on that, get it? I understand that your post is about preventing the junk mail altogether, but it's more fun to get actual revenge. Understand? Was that hard?

vailpass
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
These credit card companies send out the "prepaid" envelopes for you to send in your applications... they ONLY get charged when you mail it back.

SOOOOO.... add a bunch of heavy shit into the envelope and mail them back to them. That's what I do.

That'll show 'em!!

chiefzilla1501
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
It works... did it a few years ago, and now I only get junk mail for the credit card and bank I use. Unfortunately, mortgage insurance offers aren't covered, but those stopped a couple of months after buying the house.

Eh, I used to get offers from Chase all the time... seemed like it was at least once per week. There was no opt-out URL, and every time I called, I gave up after being on hold for 10-20+ minutes. If it wasn't for Chase and other companies I've had similar experiences with, I might agree with you... make it easy for me to opt out, and I could spend a few minutes a month opting out of junk mail instead of signing up for something like this that says no to everything. And if I'm not going to use your product anyway, why does it matter? You save a tree, I save the risk of identity theft (if it's a credit card offer) and the hassle of getting snail mail... win-win.

I keep hearing you all say the word "chase" whether you realize it or not that shows that the marketing is working. In financial services, the #1 important thing is the ability to rattle the company's name off te top of your head.

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM

this

It's the adult version of the adolescent rebel in me

ya, it's about getting junk mail from credit card companies. Back in the day, we'd tape the return envelope to a box of rocks and ship it. They probably paid $30 on that, get it? I understand that your post is about preventing the junk mail altogether, but it's more fun to get actual revenge. Understand? Was that hard?

My post was about preventing junk mail?

Besides the rocks in your head, what's the difference between your idea of mailing rocks to them in their prepaid envelopes and Dole's idea that I agreed with and admitted to doing too (mailing junk paper to them)? Get it? Is it that hard to understand? It was about revenge too, get it dipshit?

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

you should read the posts in the thread before you say you know what they say.

(a test to see if you are reading them)

Bump
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Besides the rocks in your head, what's the difference between your idea of mailing rocks to them in their prepaid envelopes and Dole's idea that I agreed with and admitted to doing too (mailing junk paper to them)? Get it? Is it that hard to understand? It was about revenge too, get it dipshit?

wow dude, you are seriously pissed off right now.

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM

I repeated your words of "get it" and "is it that hard to understand" and you think that makes me pissed off? you can not piss me off, I just like poking the stick at you when you didn't read my posts then commented that you knew what I was saying....

Bump
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I repeated your words of "get it" and "is it that hard to understand" and you think that makes me pissed off? you can not piss me off, I just like poking the stick at you when you didn't read my posts then commented that you knew what I was saying....

well I didn't click your link, so i really have no idea what you are so offended about and yes, you are mad bro.

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
well I didn't click your link, so i really have no idea what you are so offended about and yes, you are mad bro.

what link?

and on second thought, I am mad. At your avatar....

Bump
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
what link?

and on second thought, I am mad. At your avatar....

fuck, on the OP dude. I didn't even read your post come to think of it.

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I keep hearing you all say the word "chase" whether you realize it or not that shows that the marketing is working. In financial services, the #1 important thing is the ability to rattle the company's name off te top of your head.

I'd think the #1 important thing would be for someone to pay for their product, which I never have and probably never will. I'm sure sending massive amounts of junk mail and putting their name on everything works for them, or else they wouldn't do it. But, I don't just know their name for the junk mail I've received. I know it from reading about how they accepted an application that someone tore into 4 pieces, taped back together, and mailed back... and from people who have mentioned them in regards to identity theft, people taking those applications out of their mailboxes, etc.

Great way to get your name out there, indeed...

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Rocks are heavier.

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
fuck, on the OP dude. I didn't even read your post come to think of it.

you're kidding, I thought you were making good counterpoints like you did....

NOT

teedubya
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
That'll show 'em!!

Works for me. Every time they send me junk mail it costs them around $7-$10 bucks. heh. Fuck the banks, fiat money and credit scams in the NECK!!

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Rocks are heavier.

So are my balls, but neither are actually going to get mailed to the credit card company once the mail man realizes what they are. Stuff the envelope with some random paper and the mailman takes it and the company pays for it, if everyone did it, the junk mail would slow down, I really believe it....

Bump
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM

NOT

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/5j9AZ.gif

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
So are my balls, but neither are actually going to get mailed to the credit card company once the mail man realizes what they are. Stuff the envelope with some random paper and the mailman takes it and the company pays for it, if everyone did it, the junk mail would slow down, I really believe it....

Eh, the idea has been around for years and it hasn't slowed them down... I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of deal with the USPS to help handle the cost of being sent junk. Hell, the 25 cents or whatever it costs them is probably offset by not sending me anything in the first place, since I'm on the opt-out list. They rely on an already very small percentage of people responding to that crap... sending them junk is equivalent to them sending one more envelope to one more person who would just throw it away. Sure, if everyone did it.... just like if everyone didn't show up to Chiefs games or if everyone stopped watching tv/commercials. Good luck with that? :shrug:

loochy
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM

NOT
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0sP6SI6sO74/TgYlT6adkBI/AAAAAAAAAj4/q7NGJ_XCJKA/s400/borat-not-jb.jpg

R8RFAN
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Hey Doper, quit posting while Stoned

crazycoffey
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Eh, the idea has been around for years and it hasn't slowed them down... I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of deal with the USPS to help handle the cost of being sent junk. Hell, the 25 cents or whatever it costs them is probably offset by not sending me anything in the first place, since I'm on the opt-out list. They rely on an already very small percentage of people responding to that crap... sending them junk is equivalent to them sending one more envelope to one more person who would just throw it away. Sure, if everyone did it.... just like if everyone didn't show up to Chiefs games or if everyone stopped watching tv/commercials. Good luck with that? :shrug:

oh, I'm not naive enough to not recognize these points. "obvious" is a word that comes to mind right now....

Bump
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey Doper, quit posting while Stoned

NO

vailpass
12-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Works for me. Every time they send me junk mail it costs them around $7-$10 bucks. heh. **** the banks, fiat money and credit scams in the NECK!!

That is kind of funny. I like Bob Dole's sending back other companies junk mail idea too.

Bump
12-02-2011, 12:43 PM
l

R8RFAN
12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
l

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ElT694CwrEI/TPMrRUshjpI/AAAAAAAAABs/oXyUlizqct4/s1600/cheech-chong1.jpg

Bump
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ElT694CwrEI/TPMrRUshjpI/AAAAAAAAABs/oXyUlizqct4/s1600/cheech-chong1.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/weed3.jpg