PDA

View Full Version : Books My first successful NaNoWriMo

keg in kc
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
(That's National Novel Writing Month, although I suspect that if anybody actually clicks on this thread, they probably know that already)

Just to set the stage a little, as most of you may or may not know, I've had sort of a long (long, long) time as-of-yet-unattempted (much less unfulfilled) fantasy of being a fiction writer. I've talked a lot about it, although I'm better with that now than I was a decade ago. Either way, I've never really had the self-discipline to do it. Because, well, writing involves a lot of work... And I have a reeeeeally short attention span.

So, November 2011. My third attempt at NaNoWriMo. The goal of said month is to write 50k words in 30 days. I've started this task twice before, but fizzled out just above 7k words in 2009 and around 17k words last year. So, needless to say, my odds weren't real great, based on previous efforts. Traditionally when I've tried to write, I've made it about two-and-a-half weeks before I get distracted and begin to spin my wheels. So, to be honest, I actually started the month thinking I would try my damnedest but fully expected to fail yet again.

But I didn't.

Much to my surprise, I'm proud to say that I passed 50,000 words around 6 pm yesterday, November 30th. I continued to write for several hours after that so that I could reach a personal goal of 150 pages (I write in a college-ruled notebook, call me old fashioned...).

I've learned a lot in the last 30 days, not the least of which being that I'm actually capable of doing the work if I put my mind to it. I didn't write every day in November, but I did write 26 of 30 days, and I wrote for 2 or more hours on 21 of those . And I had some pretty significant potential landmines in the last 10 days, those being a Thanksgiving visit from my mom and dad, god love 'em, and then right on the heels of that, a 4-day test of The Old Republic. So I had all kinds of reasons and excuses to fail, but somehow I managed to persevere.

Maybe it won't mean anything in the long term. Maybe my book will just sit on my desk now, half-finished. But maybe I've finally taken that first step, and a few months from now I'll be able to come on here and say "wow, my first draft of my really shitty book is finally done!".

Either way, I'm pretty proud of myself and I'm going to try to use this as a stepping stone into the future.

I'm really tired right now. And my brain is really fried. Hopefully my novel is more skillfully written than this post. :)

Direckshun
12-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I've done it a couple times.

It's an amazing adventure. The trouble is I can't bring myself to read the damn things, and I haven't had a single friend or family member read one.

So I'm like "why did I do that, again?"

keg in kc
12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I did it for two reasons: I have a book in my head that I need to get out, and I wanted to see if I could get myself into a routine.

I have a lot of work left to do. I think my book's about half done. I have the beginning through the end of the first act finished (in terms of a draft, obviously...), I have some of the second act finished, and I have some of the third act finished, basically the end of the book. Now I have to brainstorm and outline to figure out what exactly what the hell is going on in act 2. I have to figure out how people got from point a to point b...

Barrymore50
12-02-2011, 12:25 AM
I was thinking about trying it, but just felt like there would be no way that I could find the time (probably 2+ hours/day to be about to get to 50k) to write--even though I have more free time now than I've had for years. I've had a few novel ideas floating around in my head for years and hope to write them out one day. Finding the time and inspiration (especially when a person runs into the fuzzier areas of the story) is hard.

NewChief
12-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Nice! I got to about 17,000 a couple of years back and haven't done it since (too much other stuff going on in November). I'll probably try again next year. I'm extremely impressed knowing that TOR has also been in the forefront of your mind.

Huffmeister
12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Congrats! I've always had respect for people who can write (novels, plays, music, whatever). I can't even imagine trying come up with 50k words.

So what's your story about? What genre? That's cool if you don't want to share, just curious.

And November seems like a terrible month to have a National Novel Writing Month (second only to December). They should move it to March, April or September.

Macroach
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Just curious - did you write the same story idea each year, or was each year different? I wanted to try this a few years back, but the commitment to write 50,000 words from scratch is intimidating.

Macroach
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
And congratulations - quite an achievement!

(And I am sure you won't receive any sarcastic queries as to the title or theme of the book :)

Rain Man
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Ooh, I'd like to do this, too.

Do they have to all be different words or can you repeat some?

whoman69
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
My novel was started in 1983 and never got past chapter 7.

Reaper16
12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
NaNoWriMo is something I'm probably never going to attempt. Congrats on getting to 50,000.

keg in kc
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
So what's your story about? What genre? That's cool if you don't want to share, just curious.

Just curious - did you write the same story idea each year, or was each year different?It is the same idea from 2009 and 2010, but nothing that I wrote this year was recycled from the past. The whole project underwent a pretty radical transformation beginning in August of this year.

What it is right now is fairly standard Fantasy. The protagonist is a girl in her late teens who wakes up one morning in the middle of the woods. When she makes her way home, she finds everyone gone, including her mother and sister (her father disappeared a decade earlier). So the novel's about what's happening to her. Unsurprisingly there's a much larger story that's gradually unraveled. That's it, in a nutshell.

Nothing groundbreaking...

CosmicPal
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Congrats!!!

I glad to hear you did it. As you may recall, I completed it a couple of years ago when we both attempted it.

I thought about doing it this year, but was short on ideas and time.

keg in kc
12-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I do remember that. That was the psycho ice cream man story wasn't it? You're still showing up on my buddy list. I kept checking to see if you were doing it this year.

keg in kc
12-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Finally got all my stuff transferred from my notebook (the paper kind...) into Word and it ended up being a whopping 57,709 words. I was technically finished on the 29th and didn't even know it. Now it's time to start filling in the holes.

-King-
12-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Damn, how long did it take you to count all the words when it was on notebook?

keg in kc
12-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I didn't count the words in the notebook, beyond the first 20 pages or so, and that was only so I'd have a number to use as an estimated words/page.

Direckshun
12-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Just curious - did you write the same story idea each year, or was each year different? I wanted to try this a few years back, but the commitment to write 50,000 words from scratch is intimidating.

It's not bad if you just break it down to an hour or two a night.

My stories were different each year, but they were largely awful.

blaise
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Congrats. There's one for playwriting but I've never tried it. I should, though. Probably help motivate me.
Good for you, though.

keg in kc
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Congrats. There's one for playwriting but I've never tried it. I should, though. Probably help motivate me.
Good for you, though.Yeah, they do a thing in April called ScriptFrenzy (http://scriptfrenzy.org/). I haven't done that one.

Direckshun's right about the hour or two a day. Came out to 2-3 hours a day for me. I would break it up. I have a hard time focusing for more than an hour or 90 minutes. It really wears down the brain, at least for me, and I start to lose steam.

vailpass
12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Props Keg, keep up the good work.