PDA

View Full Version : Science Mammoths May Be Roaming the World In Five Years

Hammock Parties
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
My mouth awaits mammoth steak!

http://gizmodo.com/5864908/mammoths-may-be-roaming-the-world-in-five-years

Scientists have been trying to clone woolly mammoths for years, but now they're really close. So close that in five years you may see herds of this gigantic beast—one of the favorite extinct prehistoric animals of the all-time.
Scientists from Japan's Kinki University and the Sakha Republic's mammoth museum have discovered well preserved marrow in a thigh bone discovered in Siberia, buried under the permafrost. The marrow is in such good condition that its cells' DNA could be used to replace the nuclei of elephant egg cells. This will allow scientist to create mammoth embryos.

The team wants to plant these embryos inside the wombs of elephant mothers so they can grow until birth. Although bigger than elephants, both animals are similar enough for this to work. This is a similar technique used in current cloning processes. The key is that the DNA has to be intact in order for this process to work. This discovery is their chance to achieve their objective.

Bring'em on

Some may say that we should leave woolly mammoths rest in peace, that we shouldn't play with nature. However, some theories say it were humans who actually drove the woolly mammoth to extinction. Shouldn't we get it back? I say yes!

Every kid in this world, myself included, would love to see these beasts roaming the tundra once again, along with bisons. In fact, I think we should bring more species exterminated by humans back to life. We can start with dodos. As long as we don't bring a group of T-Rex back, we will fine.

Buck
12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I read about this earlier.

It's pretty fucked up if you ask me.

Graystoke
12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I want a Mammoth Bath Rug
And..ya..Yum!

BigRichard
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I read about this earlier.

It's pretty ****ed up if you ask me.

I think it is pretty awsome myself. Science is an amazing thing.

bevischief
Mammoth burgers.

-King-
Is there a point to doing this though other than doing it?
Posted via Mobile Device

cabletech94
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Omega;8172697]My mouth awaits mammoth steak!

kinda ghey! NTTAWWT.LMAO

Hammock Parties
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

To see Mammoths, you dumb shit.

Buck
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that those fucking things are either going to

A) Introduce some kind of disease that is going to kill us all
B) Die almost immediately from some kind of disease that they aren't immune to

NJChiefsFan
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I think it is pretty awsome myself. Science is an amazing thing.

Michael Crichton is watching and saying, keep an eye out when you create that T-Rex.

Hydrae
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that those ****ing things are either going to

A) Introduce some kind of disease that is going to kill us all
B) Die almost immediately from some kind of disease that they aren't immune to

If they are incubated in a modern elephant they should get their immunities from the "mother" which should protect them pretty well. And I doubt they will develop some disease on their own. You are worrying for nothing, IMO.

gblowfish
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Mammoth burgers.

Fred Flintstone approves of this post.

redsurfer11
12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
We can start with dodos

There is no Dodo DNA left. O.k. dodo.

Buck
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Why cant they just use the Mammoth DNA to replace the nuclei of a Human Egg so that we can have a race of Mammoth/Human Hybrids?

Tribal Warfare
12-05-2011, 04:35 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o6fka74ZnpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Just stay away from the giants.

-King-
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Why?

If they're making them just to see them, then that's pretty fucking retarded.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Just stay away from the giants.

rep

vailpass
12-05-2011, 05:00 PM

LMAO

jd1020
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Now that we don't have to worry about animals going extinct, my living room would look good with a tiger, polar bear, and panda.

FAX
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
A wise man once said, "Life will find a way."

Perhaps this is just one of those ways ...

Or, perhaps it is a crazy freaking idea concocted by a bunch of insane Jap scientists who live too close to their busted nuclear reactor and have nothing better to do than try to destroy the entire human race by introducing hordes of giant freaking woolly monsters into our midst.

FAX

vailpass
12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
GODZIRRA IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!

teedubya
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Fred Flintstone approves of this post.

You stole my shitty joke I was about to tell. heh

Brock
12-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Is there a point to doing this though other than doing it?]

Do you have a problem with scientific discovery?

KC_Connection
12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Jurassic Park taught us that this won't end well.

chefsos
12-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Hair Club for Pachyderms

jd1020
Jurassic Park taught us that this won't end well.

Mammoths were, and are trying to be bred with, herbivores. This is far from a Jurassic Park scenario.

FAX
Hmmmm ...

Or, maybe this is an insidious Jap plan to produce thousands of Mammoths and set those bastards loose on the Chink mainland. Chinks worship Mammoths, so Chinks won't kill Mammoths. That means that Mammoths will reproduce right in front of Chinks and eventually trample Chinks until Chinks are gone. Then, Japs will blow a whistle (having implanted some kind of whistle receiver in the Mammoths' brain stems) and the Mammoths will collapse and the Japs move in to where the Chinks were so they can get the hell away from their cursed island. Maybe that.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Hmmmm ...

Or, maybe this is an insidious Jap plan to produce thousands of Mammoths and set those bastards loose on the Chink mainland. Chinks worship Mammoths, so Chinks won't kill Mammoths. That means that Mammoths will reproduce right in front of Chinks and eventually trample Chinks until Chinks are gone. Then, Japs will blow a whistle (having implanted some kind of whistle receiver in the Mammoths' brain stems) and the Mammoths will collapse and the Japs move in to where the Chinks were so they can get the hell away from their cursed island. Maybe that.

FAX

Then the Mammoth turns into a Mecha-Robot thus protecting the Japanese people to prevent invasion. Then other countries decide to engineer other primeval creatures in massive size to put it to god thus creating turmoil amongst the giant being in which every 5 to 6 years World Wars are fought between the creatures for dominace of such countries that they were engineered to conquer.

DaFace
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe I don't understand how this stuff works, but doesn't cloning result in identical creatures? In other words, wouldn't this result in a bunch of males or females, but not one of each? Seems like they'be able to create one, but not have a set of reproducing mammoths running around.

(Or maybe this process is different somehow?)

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't know man. They could kill other species and dominate it into extinction. What if the mammoths wipe out elephants? What about using its resources for food? How fast would they take over a Rain forest and do more damage than humans are doing? Those big ass animals would need the space to roam and we're running out of room just with global population. How do they migrate? Are we to expect a stampede and have to evacuate my home so I can be safe? What if they're destructive animals and destroy healthy habitats that were preserved by humans?

jd1020
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know man. They could kill other species and dominate it into extinction. What if the mammoths wipe out elephants? What about using its resources for food? How fast would they take over a Rain forest and do more damage than humans are doing? Those big ass animals would need the space to roam and we're running out of room just with global population. How do they migrate? Are we to expect a stampede and have to evacuate my home so I can be safe? What if they're destructive animals and destroy healthy habitats that were preserved by humans?

Mammoths in a rain forest? Really?

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Mammoths in a rain forest? Really?

ever think about the lush green food they'd want to eat? a rain forest. Hell theres a rain forest in Washington state.

RealSNR
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Mammoths were, and are trying to be bred with, herbivores. This is far from a Jurassic Park scenario.Don't you see the danger, jd1020, inherent in what you're doing here? Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ever think about the lush green food they'd want to eat? a rain forest. Hell theres a rain forest in Washington state.

Ever think about how far away a rain forest is from a Mammoths habitat?

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Ever think about how far away a rain forest is from a Mammoths habitat?

and they wipe out all food in their habitat and roam for more and wipe out that habitat and roam for more and......

RealSNR
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I think it is pretty awsome myself. Science is an amazing thing.What's so great about discovery? It's a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world.

RealSNR
12-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Maybe I don't understand how this stuff works, but doesn't cloning result in identical creatures? In other words, wouldn't this result in a bunch of males or females, but not one of each? Seems like they'be able to create one, but not have a set of reproducing mammoths running around.

(Or maybe this process is different somehow?)If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territories, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, ah, well, there it is.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
and they wipe out all food in their habitat and roam for more and wipe out that habitat and roam for more and......

Ya. Mammoths are going to spread like cockroaches. RIIIIIIGHT.....

jd1020
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Don't you see the danger, jd1020, inherent in what you're doing here? Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun.

We'll all be long dead before shit gets serious.

RealSNR
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Do you have a problem with scientific discovery?Don't give me the whole "save the condors" argument.

No. Hold on. This isn't some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or, or the building of a dam. Mammoths had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction

whoman69
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I suppose as long as they don't clone raptors and can keep them on the island...

Brock
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
No. Hold on. This isn't some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or, or the building of a dam. Mammoths had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction

Well, nature doesn't always get the last word. I don't know what you mean by "save the condors".

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Ya. Mammoths are going to spread like cockroaches. RIIIIIIGHT.....

how would any of us really know? animals already do that type of nature. Keep moving for food. with the world at 10 billion people and at 20 billion in thirty years with barely enough food on the planet to feed that amount of people where would mammoths fit and get their resources while sustaining human resources? The world isn't big enough for these monsters.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
how would any of us really know? animals already do that type of nature. Keep moving for food. with the world at 10 billion people and at 20 billion in thirty years with barely enough food on the planet to feed that amount of people where would mammoths fit and get their resources while sustaining human resources? The world isn't big enough for these monsters.

You do know one of the leading theories on their extinction is warm weather right?

Brock

LMAO

Backwards Masking
Posted via Mobile Device

not any more or less than using billions in taxpayer dollars to build and dissassemble miliary planes and ships for the sake of proving we can do it. I guess this keeps the scientists busy as opposed to the miliarty, but that's the only difference. That and the mammoths would draw in more tourists and families and bring in a greater profit.

Bugeater
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
and then we kill the fucking things. :shrug:

evenfall
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM

(Or maybe this process is different somehow?)

with Dolly, they were able to take the cloned sheep's genetic material and somehow fertilize and unfertilized egg with it. Dolly was fertile but only lived a few years, she had a lot of joint problems and some kind of lung disease if I recall.

Wyatt Earp
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/coneal_81/128861907930931078.jpg

RealSNR
12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, nature doesn't always get the last word. I don't know what you mean by "save the condors".Condors! Condors are on the verge of extinction. If I was to create a flock of condors on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say.

evenfall

We'll drive around on flying electric motocycles smoking cigars and shooting elephant guns at these things. The future is awesome.

RealSNR
Damn it. The only person who would think these jokes of mine are funny is offline.

Brock
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Condors! Condors are on the verge of extinction. If I was to create a flock of condors on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say.

I see what you did thar.

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
You do know one of the leading theories on their extinction is warm weather right?

its not exactly tropical weather in Washington. Seattle is in the thick of a rainforest. Now you point out warm weather, if the planet does have global warming how would these animals survive in 50 years as it gets warmer? Put them on Antarctica? Make them eat ice cubes?

evenfall
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
its not exactly tropical weather in Washington. Seattle is in the thick of a rainforest. Now you point out warm weather, if the planet does have global warming how would these animals survive in 50 years as it gets warmer? Put them on Antarctica? Make them eat ice cubes?

I don't think anyone is talking about breeding 4 million of them, they are talking about growing them in a zoo for scientific purposes.

Brock

What are you thinking, they're just going to make a herd of them and turn them loose somewhere?

chefsos
Damn it. The only person who would think these jokes of mine are funny is offline.I was laughing the whole time, but didn't want to post something and give it away.

FAX
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
All I know is that Japs with Mammoths is bad for Chinks.

FAX

Wyatt Earp
12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Damn it. The only person who would think these jokes of mine are funny is offline.

No sir that is false. I think those jokes are funny. I'm actually reading Jurassic Park again and the movie fails to do it justice.

Johnny Vegas
I'm being extremely loose on this topic as I'm not real serious. I'm just entertaining ideas and making this a constructive debate.

jd1020
What are you thinking, they're just going to make a herd of them and turn them loose somewhere?

The first one is going to look like wood and come with wheels. It will be a gift to the US and detonate soon after.

-King-
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't think anyone is talking about breeding 4 million of them, they are talking about growing them in a zoo for scientific purposes.

And those purposes are....?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
12-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock: for real?

Johnny Vegas
12-05-2011, 06:33 PM

well we'd have to. PETA would be advocating such a move and bring in lawsuits. just a messy, messy situation.

evenfall
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

To replicate your mother in a laboratory setting! Bazinga!

-King-
12-05-2011, 06:40 PM
:spock: for real?

Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

The opportunity to study a living, breathing animal that's been extinct for around 10 thousand years. That shouldn't need any further explanation.

FAX
12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
The thing is that every time the Japs clone something, something always goes wrong. I mean, what do you do with a Mammoth with three balls?

You walk him and pitch to the Saber Tooth!!!

ROFL

FAX

Ebolapox
12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Why cant they just use the Mammoth DNA to replace the nuclei of a Human Egg so that we can have a race of Mammoth/Human Hybrids?

clearly buck knows almost nothing about biology.

FAX
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey!!!

What do you call two Mammoths on a bicycle?

Optimistic!

ROFL

FAX

Rain Man
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Condors! Condors are on the verge of extinction. If I was to create a flock of condors on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say.

I thought Johnny Cash killed all of the condors. Must've missed a couple.

Bugeater
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
clearly buck knows almost nothing about biology.
Oh, so it won't work? That's a bummer because I bet one of those things could solve our NT problem.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Can't wait for some company to request semen. I'll be rich!

Rain Man
12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Wasn't it determined that they went extinct primarily due to human hunting? If so, are we bringing them back just so we can kill them again, or is this a belated apology?

Caseyguyrr
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
hell yes

chefsos
12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Wasn't it determined that they went extinct primarily due to human hunting? If so, are we bringing them back just so we can kill them again, or is this a belated apology?A little score-settling.

Rain Man
12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Mammoths are cool, but I want to see a sabertooth tiger or perhaps one of those giant sloth bears. Give me something that's not just an elephant with a winter coat.

listopencil
12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Wasn't it determined that they went extinct primarily due to human hunting? If so, are we bringing them back just so we can kill them again, or is this a belated apology?

I'm getting kind of hungry now.

DTLB58

Exactly, Where are they going to roam freely where they aren't eventually going to collide with mankind?

Here comes the real Jurassic Park next. Watch out!

DaFace
Mammoths are cool, but I want to see a sabertooth tiger or perhaps one of those giant sloth bears. Give me something that's not just an elephant with a winter coat.

Yeah, but it's a BIG elephant with a winter coat!

chefsos
12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but it's a BIG elephant with a winter coat!
Sure it isn't just an oversize coat?

Marcellus
12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Haven't they been claiming this for many years now?

GloryDayz
12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Hair Club for Pachyderms

LMAO

Bwana
12-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Bring it!!

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/files/2010/09/rs_freighttrain_200912-a.jpg

Rain Man
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
It'd be kind of cool if they brought back pterodactyls or pteranodons or some other big flying thing that eats humans, and they were a protected species. You'd be walking down the street and someone would yell "Pteranodon!" and everybody would scatter and roll under parked cars as a big shadow swooped low, picking off the slow and the hard of hearing.

evenfall
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Snuffy31.jpg

The mammoth resurrection project: Threat, or MENACE!?

Goldmember
12-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Sure it isn't just an oversize coat?

I think the ones they are cloning are the cheap, car coat species

Goldmember
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
It'd be kind of cool if they brought back pterodactyls or pteranodons or some other big flying thing that eats humans, and they were a protected species. You'd be walking down the street and someone would yell "Pteranodon!" and everybody would scatter and roll under parked cars as a big shadow swooped low, picking off the slow and the hard of hearing.

I just got a woody thinking of Raquel Welch

Okie_Apparition
12-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Most be good for impotence
ground up dried hairy elephant balls

TimeForWasp
12-05-2011, 11:03 PM
This would be a mammoth accomplishment.

Tribal Warfare
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Snuffy31.jpg

The mammoth resurrection project: Threat, or MENACE!?

The assassin Snuffleupagus

FAX
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I can understand the Japs' fascination with Mammoths. But, couldn't they start with something smaller like Geisha girls, for example?

If the world has to be overrun, I'd rather it be overrun by Geisha girls, to be honest.

FAX

ThaVirus
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I do and don't have a problem with this.......

ThaVirus
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM

.. And I was laughing the whole time. Caught it immediately. I just wonder, did you have to rewatch the movie to get the words exactly right, or know them off the top of your head?

Rasputin
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
GODZIRRA IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYgF0OatDNk?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYgF0OatDNk?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>