PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto The New Dodge Dart

gblowfish
12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Not your grandma's Dodge Dart....cool!
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/dodge-brings-back-dart-italian-flair-143028811.html

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I wonder if the third engine is the new Pentastar v6? Looks nice from that one picture.

Hydrae
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
So if two of the three engine options are 4 bangers, what is the third option?

Those old slant sixes were bullet-proof and ran forever!

Gonzo
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Man, I had a 1974 dart swinger 2 door coupe. It had the 225 slant-six that I rebuilt and bored .30 over. I put a 2 bbl custom carb on it and threw in some hydraulic lifters. I never got the carb quite right but when it warmed up it ran great. It was a great color too. Maroon with gold metal flake. I blacked out the grill and was just about to put some bucket seats from a 71 charger in it.
So much fricken torque in that thing but alas, I had to sell it when we moved.

I was thinking just the other day that they need to bring it back. Pretty awesome ride. It might do well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Slainte
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

LiveSteam
12-06-2011, 02:23 PM
MOPAR Rules!
& yes my grandma was the proud owner of a red 1971 Dart with a 318

Gonzo
12-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Yep, I had 300k on mine before the rebuild. Honestly, I didn't really have to rebuild it either, I did it as a learning tool.
You should have seen the look on some peoples faces when I'd blow the doors off a guy with a 5 liter mustang or a 318. He'd catch up but not before the end of the 1/4.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 02:31 PM

See my post right above yours. My guess is that it will be the small one of these Pentastar motors. (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html)

Lots of innovations in that motor. Can you imagine how many oil filters end up in the land fill each year? I hadn't thought about it until I read about this motor.

Phobia
12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I was just asking a friend of mine not more than a week ago why don't they bring the dart back? That slant 6 was something else. My uncle still has 7 or 8 of them sitting out in a field.

Gonzo
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I was just asking a friend of mine not more than a week ago why don't they bring the dart back? That slant 6 was something else. My uncle still has 7 or 8 of them sitting out in a field.
I hope they do a fast-back style and call it a Duster.
A former co-worker of mine when I was a mechanic had a slant six in an old pickup. He wanted to drop a 360 in it so he decided to see how "indestructible" they were. He drained all the oil and started it up, then drove it for over an hour. He gunned it several times. The solid lifters were clacking like a bitch but it never blew. He put oil back in it and drove it for another 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Do they still make the Mitsubishi 2.2 turbo. Those motors were the shit in the 80s Laser

FAX
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
My first car was a Dodge Dart. Bought it used off a dealership that was owned by the father of the hottest damn girl I ever laid eyes on. Paid $250 bucks cash. It had a push-button transmission.

Rep to the dude or dudess who can guess what happened to that car.

FAX

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
My first car was a Dodge Dart. Bought it used off a dealership that was owned by the father of the hottest damn girl I ever laid eyes on. Paid $250 bucks cash. It had a push-button transmission.

FAX

Was it a 63 or 64?

LiveSteam
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM

FAX

You restored it

FAX
Was it a 63 or 64?

No idea.

FAX

FAX
You restored it

Wrong!!!

FAX

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM

FAX

You sold it to some fellers who were starting a television show. But them fellers decided that maybe the Charger was a better fit for their target demographic so they left your Dart on the bottom of a riverbed after a failed jump attempt.

FAX
You sold it to some fellers who were starting a television show. But them fellers decided that maybe the Charger was a better fit for their target demographic so they left your Dart on the bottom of a riverbed after a failed jump attempt.

ROFL

Close.

But, Wrong!!!

FAX

Phobia
Wrong!!!

FAX

Aliens?

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
ROFL

Close.

But, Wrong!!!

FAX

You sold it to some ladies who were starting a television show. But them ladies decided that maybe the Charger was a better fit for their target demographic so they left your Dart on the bottom of a riverbed after a failed jump attempt.

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
You traded it even up for a guitar?

Frosty
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM

FAX

You pushed the wrong button while driving down the road?

FAX
12-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Wrong!!

Wrong!!

Wrong!!!

You guys will never guess, I guess.

FAX

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Was it the guys or the riverbed that was wrong about my guess?

FAX
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Was it the guys or the riverbed that was wrong about my guess?

Looking for hints?

Okay ... it involved a girl, illegal activity, and a water feature. That's all you're going to get.

FAX

asdf
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
The third engine according to this article will be a larger 2.4l 4cyl - too bad they won't be bringing over the 2.0 TD from the Giulietta. Also too bad they are only offering it as a sedan here, the Alfa hatch looks pretty good...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/dodge-dart-a-familiar-name-returns-from-an-unlikely-place/

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Looking for hints?

Okay ... it involved a girl, illegal activity, and a water feature. That's all you're going to get.

FAX

You and the girl, ran it off into a lake, running from the law chasing you for buying a lid?

Frosty
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing this thing is basically a rebadged Fiat Bravo.

http://www.fiat.com/FIAT_COM/uploads/1006/1074099149/20101126/K-viz_1.jpg

I'm thinking the Alfa talk is because it sounds more exciting than a Fiat.

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Looking for hints?

FAX

You're really old right.... so, bootlegging with your parents and your pa making your mom squirt just as you got busted by the feds?

FAX
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
You and the girl, ran it off into a lake, running from the law chasing you for buying a lid?

You're getting warm.

But, Wrong!!!

FAX

FAX
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
You're really old right.... so, bootlegging with your parents and your pa making your mom squirt just as you got busted by the feds?

Not me ... I'm in my prime.

And, Wrong!!!

FAX

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
You're getting warm.

But, Wrong!!!

FAX

River and 1/4 lb.?

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
So your mother wasn't the water feature?

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing this thing is basically a rebadged Fiat Bravo.

http://www.fiat.com/FIAT_COM/uploads/1006/1074099149/20101126/K-viz_1.jpg

I'm thinking the Alfa talk is because it sounds more exciting than a Fiat.

That was the rumor when Obama gave Chrysler to Fiat. That would make sense and the timing is actually a little later than the projections at that time.

FAX
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
So your mother wasn't the water feature?

My poor mother, rest her soul, never knew the truth about what happened to that Dodge Dart.

FAX

Phobia
12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
My poor mother, rest her soul, never knew the truth about what happened to that Dodge Dart.

FAX

I'll probably join her before anybody else knows either. If she wasn't involved I've lost interest.

Stewie
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
My second car was a Dodge Demon. It didn't have the 340, but the slant six. It was this exact color with the black top.

http://www.allcarcentral.com/MoPar_Fall_Fling_Woodley_Park_2009/1972_Dodge_Demon_Rick_Feibusch_Photo_2009.jpg

They talked about reviving the Demon about four years ago but it died on the vine when Chrysler had so many issues. This was the new Demon:

http://www.scenicreflections.com/ithumbs/Ermac_-_Dodge_Demon_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

Bugeater
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I loved the Demon. I heard that they had to drop the name because the religious nuts were having a hissyfit over it. No idea if that's true, it sounds kind of urban legend-ish.

Groves
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM

She might very well know at this point.

Extra Point
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Shitty pic! Is there a set of pics that show what it really looks like, @ 20 ft?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/dodge-dart-a-familiar-name-returns-from-an-unlikely-place/

Thanks, asdf. You gave us proof that Fiat and MOPAR have no business, being in business together.

FAX
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I'll probably join her before anybody else knows either. If she wasn't involved I've lost interest.

Well, my Dodge Dart adventures may hold no interest to you, Mr. Phobia, but there have been book offers and a musical is in the works. The working title is, "Le Darte D'Amour De Catastrophe Extrêmes". We're talking with Dhani Harrison for the lead.

So there.

FAX

Extra Point
My second car was a Dodge Demon. It didn't have the 340, but the slant six. It was this exact color with the black top.

http://www.allcarcentral.com/MoPar_Fall_Fling_Woodley_Park_2009/1972_Dodge_Demon_Rick_Feibusch_Photo_2009.jpg

They talked about reviving the Demon about four years ago but it died on the vine when Chrysler had so many issues. This was the new Demon:

http://www.scenicreflections.com/ithumbs/Ermac_-_Dodge_Demon_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

Heh. Once, then, no more, over a speed bump.

Extra Point
I do miss my 65 Polara Custom 880. A lot!

HemiEd
12-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I loved the Demon. I heard that they had to drop the name because the religious nuts were having a hissyfit over it. No idea if that's true, it sounds kind of urban legend-ish.

I had never heard that, but wouldn't be surprised and it would make sense with what happened.

To start with the Demon=Duster, then once it was discontinued, the Dart = Duster.

Extra Point
Well, my Dodge Dart adventures may hold no interest to you, Mr. Phobia, but there have been book offers and a musical is in the works. The working title is, "Le Darte D'Amour De Catastrophe Extrêmes". We're talking with Dhani Harrison for the lead.

So there.

FAX

AWESOME! George taught him a lot.

Stewie
Shitty pic! Is there a set of pics that show what it really looks like, @ 20 ft?

Thanks, asdf. You gave us proof that Fiat and MOPAR have no business, being in business together.

That is LAME!

Extra Point
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
That is LAME!

Hope you don't own a FIAT.

Stewie
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Heh. Once, then, no more, over a speed bump.

That was how the designers and engineers envisioned it. It never would have been built like that. Once management and bean-counters got involved it would have looked like this:

http://img1.ranker.com/list_img/2403/301325/full/30-ugliest-cars-of-the-past-50-years-automobile-model.jpg?version=1304036722000

Mr. Wizard
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
FAX was involved in a love triangle and the Chappaquiddick incident. His girlfriend, Mary Jo Kopechne, whose body was discovered underwater inside a dodge dart which was registered to one.... FAX and U.S. Senator Edward M. ("Ted") Kennedy. After the discovery, Kennedy gave a statement to police saying that during the previous night Kopechne was his passenger when he took a wrong turn and accidentally drove his car off a bridge into the water. FAX was also interviewed and stated, "if coach would have put me in the game we would have won state."
After pleading guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury, Kennedy received a suspended sentence for two months in jail. FAX was banished to a life sentence of posting on Chiefsplanet.

He comes up with some crazy sh-t sometimes.

Extra Point
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
FAX was involved in a love triangle and the Chappaquiddick incident. His girlfriend, Mary Jo Kopechne, whose body was discovered underwater inside a dodge dart which was registered to one.... FAX and U.S. Senator Edward M. ("Ted") Kennedy. After the discovery, Kennedy gave a statement to police saying that during the previous night Kopechne was his passenger when he took a wrong turn and accidentally drove his car off a bridge into the water. FAX was also interviewed and stated, "if coach would have put me in the game we would have won state."
After pleading guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury, Kennedy received a suspended sentence for two months in jail. FAX was banished to a life sentence of posting on Chiefsplanet.

He comes up with some crazy sh-t sometimes.

Any organic mind bender, synthesized with an alcohol, at elevated temperature, can be toxic. (Just sayin'.)

Sfeihc
12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Can't wait for the NAIAS to see this bad boy up close! Looks awesome!

Hydrae
12-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I do miss my 65 Polara Custom 880. A lot!

Man, those things had a front yard sized hood! :)

Gonzo
12-06-2011, 07:01 PM

They did the same thing with the firebird. The original name was Pontiac Banshee.
Posted via Mobile Device

kpic
12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Do they still make the Mitsubishi 2.2 turbo. Those motors were the shit in the 80s Laser

The 2.2 4cyl. (K car family etc.) was a homegrown Chrysler product.

The 2.6 4cyl.(Chrysler Conquest, Mits. Starion and as far as I can recall a small dodge p-up?) was Mitsubishi.

Otter
12-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Cool headlight.

Sofa King
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
http://www.ohmagif.com/gif/0811/car-crash-and-spin.gif

I'm guessing Fax's adventure ended like this.