PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Arrowhead Report: Weis / Q&A 12/9

Okie_Apparition
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Arrowhead Report: Chiefs staff wishes Weis well at Kansas

By Josh Looney
Posted 2 hours ago

Chiefs coaches comment on Charlie Weis' hiring at Kansas, plus Kyle Orton is ruled doubtful for Sunday

It’s only fitting that Charlie Weis’ return to the heartland comes during the same week Kansas City travels to New York for the first time since 2007. As the new head coach at Kansas, Weis’ office will be located just 50 miles west of Arrowhead Stadium.

Weis’ coaching roots, like many involved in the current Chiefs football administration, connect back to the Jets teams of the late 1990s. It was there that he shared a small office with Todd Haley for three years when the two served as assistant coaches under Bill Parcells.

“I think it’s great for KU,” Haley said of Weis’ hiring. “I think Charlie is a really good coach and having been at Notre Dame as long as he was, I think it’s a really good hire and all of the KU fans should be really fired up.”
Weis reunited with Haley last season as Kansas City’s offensive coordinator before moving on to accept the same position at the University of Florida.

There were rumblings that the pair couldn’t coexist with one another following Weis’ departure, but both parties have adamantly denied those claims. Haley did so again Friday afternoon.

“I think it’s kind of ludicrous that that’s out there really,” Haley said. “Last year he was a big part of what we did and there wasn’t a negative thing that occurred in my opinion and as far as the Florida thing, there was a legitimate family issue there that he was able to really help out.”

Weis’ son, a college freshman, has coaching aspirations and was able to serve as a student assistant alongside his father on the Gators’ coaching staff. That would obviously still be an option with Weis moving into a college head coaching position.

Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel wasn’t surprised by Weis’ decision to take the Kansas job. Crennel knew all along that Weis wanted another chance to be a head coach.

“It’s a good opportunity for Charlie,” Crennel said. “Charlie was a head coach before and he wanted to be a head coach again and had an opportunity to do it, so best of luck to him.

“Charlie is a hard worker and will do a good job if they give him time to get his people in there and his system established. A lot of times in today’s game they won’t give you the time that you need, but if they give him the time he’ll do a good job.”

Chiefs offensive coordinator Bill Muir agrees.

Muir has twice served as a line coach in offenses coordinated by Weis - once with the Jets from 1998-99 and again with the Chiefs in 2010.

“I’m very happy for the University of Kansas because I think that they got an excellent man and an excellent football coach,” Muir said.

Cassel Joining Road Charter

Injured quarterback Matt Cassel has missed the Chiefs past two road games to be by his wife’s side as the couple anticipated the arrival of their second child.

Matt and his wife, Lauren, welcomed Ella into the Cassel family on December 3rd. Ella is the Cassel’s second daughter. Quinn, the couple’s first child, was born in May of 2010.

Though he hasn’t traveled with the team since suffering a season-ending hand injury on November 13th, Cassel has been present at the Chiefs

Training Facility in recent weeks and sat in the coaches’ booth during Kansas City’s home game against Pittsburgh on November 27th.

Cassel is expected to join the Chiefs for travel to Sunday’s game at MetLife Stadium.

“As long as he’s got everything cleared at home, we are trying to have him involved as much as possible,” Haley said. “We had him up in the box two weeks ago and he did a good job up there.”

Orton Doubtful Against Jets

Ricky Stanzi took the majority of snaps behind Chiefs starting quarterback Tyler Palko in portions of practice open to the media this week and it appears likely he’ll serve as the team’s primary backup on Sunday.

Kyle Orton ’s injured right index finger kept him limited throughout the week and he’s officially listed as “doubtful” to play against the Jets.

“He’s gotten better as the week’s gone on and we’ll keep pushing him and go right up to the last minute if we can,” Coach Todd Haley said.

Offensive coordinator Bill Muir indicated that the training staff had yet to clear Orton for play.

“He’s in some stage of rehabilitation and to speak on it more, I wouldn’t be doing so knowledgably,” Muir said. “When (head athletic trainer) Dave Price says he’s good to go, then he’ll be good to go.”

Wallace Gilberry suffered a chest injury in Friday’s practice, but is expected to play on Sunday.

Chiefs Injury Report

DOUBTFUL: QB Kyle Orton (Right Finger)

QUESTIONABLE: LB Jovan Belcher (Shoulder), LB Demorrio Williams (Groin)

PROBABLE: DE Wallace Gilberry (Chest), C Casey Wiegmann (Finger)
Jets Injury Report

DOUBTFUL: Mike DeVito (Knee)

QUESTIONABLE: DL Marcus Dixon (Hip), RB Joe McKnight (Elbow), OL Brandon Moore (Hip)

PROBABLE: OL Vlad Ducasse (Knee), RB Shonn Greene (Rib), LB David Harris (Ankle), WR Jeremy Kerley (Knee), DB Ellis Lankster (Lower Back), OL Nick Mangold (Ankle),LB Calvin Pace (Groin), LS Tanner Purdum (Lower Back), OL Matt Slauson (Knee), DB Eric Smith (Knee), RB LaDainian Tomlinson (Knee), DL Mo Wilkerson (Shoulder)

-------------------------------------

Q&A with Todd Haley 12/9

By PR Staff
Posted 2 hours ago

OPENING REMARKS: “[We] continued our prep for New York. Had a good Friday out there, got to get outside. Again, I thought it was one of our better Friday practices. I felt good about a lot of things we did and now we’ve just got to do a couple of those little clean up things that always occur from this point through Saturday and then we’ll get on a plane and go out there to New York and play the Jets. Biggest game of the year for us and I thought the guys have had a very good week of preparation here to this point so I think they understand the seriousness of the situation.”

Q: The Jets are pretty good at home, do the Jets play any differently at home or do they just feel more comfortable there?

HALEY: “You know I don’t know for sure. They look like they play pretty good wherever they are but I think at home maybe the crowd or whatever gives them a little push over the top whenever they’ve needed it. They are a good team as you can see from where they’ve been here the last few years, they are usually in the mix at the end and it’s most of the same players there.

They are good on offense, very dangerous and they can run it and throw it and defensively they obviously creates a lot of chaos and special teams they are a very well coached group and do a good job. So going on the road, a hostile environment, much like last week and it may be amped up a little more because it is the biggest of big cities and there’s always some distraction and hoopla that goes with that.”

Q: Do you expect to have [Kyle] Orton available?

HALEY: “I list him as doubtful. He’s gotten better as the week’s gone on and we’ll keep pushing him and go right up to the last minute if we can, but put him doubtful on there.”

Q: Will Matt Cassel travel?

HALEY: “Yes. I try to keep up on whose going. Last week he didn’t go because he had a baby so this week though, as long as he’s got everything cleared at home, we are trying to have him involved as much as possible. We had him up in the box two weeks ago and he did a good job up there.”

Q: How do you expect Tom Moore’s daily presence to affect the Jets offensively?

HALEY: “I know this about Coach Moore, you can’t have more experience and it’s hard to have more positive results than he’s had through the years where he’s coached. I know in any capacity him being around, it’s going to be a help and somebody for not only the players, but the coaches to really lean on.”

Q: Everybody wants to know your thoughts about Charlie Weis getting the job at Kansas.

HALEY: “I think it’s great. I think it’s great for KU, I really do. Charlie is a really great coach and having been at Notre Dame for as long as he was and I think it’s really good. And I think all the KU fans will be fired up.”

Q: Can you just clear up when he left how that went down, and are you surprised that he only went to Florida for a year and has come back to this part of the country?

HALEY: “On the first part I think it’s kind of ludicrous that that’s out there really. Charlie and I shared an office for three years that was a 1/30 of the size of this room. Last year he was a big part of what we did and there wasn’t a negative thing that occurred in my opinion and as far as the Florida thing, there was a legitimate family issue there that he was able to really help out. As far as this decision, I’m obviously not a part of Charlie’s decision making process but every situation is different and he gets an opportunity to be the head coach at the University of Kansas, I think that’s tremendous.”

Q: Have you had any communication with him?

HALEY: “Not since he got it. We text periodically throughout the year but I haven’t talked to him since this all went down.”

Q: Do you think he’ll get himself a little blue Jayhawk rascal?

HALEY: “I don’t know, I don’t know about that.”

Q: Since apparently it’s important, can you establish whether or not you are having a team meeting tomorrow night?

HALEY: [Laughter] “I was feeling like maybe giving itineraries to everybody. I almost cancelled the team talk out on the field, I almost did but then I thought better of it.”

Discuss Thrower
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Really? A KC "journalist" asking Haley about what color rascal Weis is gonna get?

Fuck me.

Okie_Apparition
12-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Those Haley-Weis texts could be traded for bullion

BossChief
12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
If Haley "obviously wasn't part of his decision making process" then what does that really mean about their ability to communicate effectively with each other at the time?

If everything was peachy and Weis just out of the blue decided to leave, fuck him. Even for family reasons.

I think that comment alone makes me lean more towards the possibility that the two just couldn't work together.

This may be another strike I have against Haley because till that comment, I was pretty sure CW left almost solely for family reasons.

whoman69
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
If Haley "obviously wasn't part of his decision making process" then what does that really mean about their ability to communicate effectively with each other at the time?

If everything was peachy and Weis just out of the blue decided to leave, **** him. Even for family reasons.

I think that comment alone makes me lean more towards the possibility that the two just couldn't work together.

This may be another strike I have against Haley because till that comment, I was pretty sure CW left almost solely for family reasons.

Read the first part again. It states that Weis left because his son had an op to be a student assistant at Florida. With his father coaching again, he could come with him for the same position. Conspiracy debunked.

stonedstooge
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Haley's surely lying

BossChief
12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Read the first part again. It states that Weis left because his son had an op to be a student assistant at Florida. With his father coaching again, he could come with him for the same position. Conspiracy debunked.

The both have to say the "right thing" in public, otherwise the truth is more apparent.

Haley saying he is obviously not part of the thought process when Weis was looking to move on while in the middle of his first year here tells everyone they had almost no communication at the time.

Let me put it a different way.

Let's say all was peachy and there wasnt a problem between the two.

Then wouldn't Weis talk to Haley about coaching with his son before making that big of a decision?

Of course he would.

whoman69
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
The both have to say the "right thing" in public, otherwise the truth is more apparent.

Haley saying he is obviously not part of the thought process when Weis was looking to move on while in the middle of his first year here tells everyone they had almost no communication at the time.

Then wouldn't Weis talk to Haley about coaching with his son before making that big of a decision?

Of course he would.

Supposition, move to strike.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Supposition, move to strike.

Sustained, counselor.

milkman
12-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Of course he would.

JFC.

He said he wasn't part of the decision making process.

He didn't say that Weis never told him him was considering an offer.

FAX
12-11-2011, 10:25 AM

If everything was peachy and Weis just out of the blue decided to leave, **** him. Even for family reasons.

Just to be clear, the "decision making process" to which Haley is referring (in response to the kinda wacky question) was the "decision making process" involved in Weis' decision to take the KU job.

FAX

Imon Yourside
12-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Weiss took the KU job because it's obviously a great job. ;)