PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs That was the most embarrassing defensive possession in the history of football

Sam Hall
12-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't care how long you live or how much football you watch. I also don't care if it's high school, college or pro football. You will never see another defense accumulate 81 penalty yards in one possession.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Monday Night Meltdown. 1998 Chiefs

milkman
12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, it doesn't help that the officials called 2 bullshit PI calls, and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the head coach.

In nearly 50 years of watching football, I have never seen that before.

lewdog
12-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Well at least they looked upset about it....maybe the players still care?

Shag
Embarrassing for the refs, yes. Not so much for the defense...

Sam Hall
The penalty on Haley is part of the embarrassment. I also understand a few bad calls. However, you gotta stop the bleeding before it gets out of control.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Not really. They made a few nice stops and were bent over by the refs in the process.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Well, it doesn't help that the officials called 2 bullshit PI calls, and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the head coach.

Yea, I don't even know how teams play defense anymore. I really don't.

Frankie
12-11-2011, 02:30 PM

You beat me to this answer. I know the Jets are a NY team but refs usually help them out in close games not in hopeless blowouts. those calls were totally a slap in the Chiefs face. They almost hurt as much as the rest of the game put together.

kysirsoze
12-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't see what Haley did. How bad was it? Cause if they were really terrible calls, and we're this far out of the game, I'm OK with him getting flagged. It's like a manager getting tossed in a baseball game in defense of his players. If done right it can be a gesture of leadership.

Sam Hall
At some point, you have to stop blaming the refs and prevent the Jets from scoring a touchdown.

Al Bundy
Holy fuck.. the Chiefs are outsucking the Buccaneers and the Buccaneers have 6 turnovers...

Frankie
My stream was sputtering during the Haley penalty. Can someone tell me what happened?

notorious
12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
My stream was sputtering during the Haley penalty. Can someone tell me what happened?

They didn't say or show anything.

On the play that he got penalized, we blitzed a LB up the middle that got tackled, yet the officials called two defenisve holding calls.

That might have pissed Haley off a little.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
The bullshit PIs happened because of Haley having a meltdown on the sideline. IMO, he's directly responsible for all three of those penalties.

Shag
12-11-2011, 02:34 PM
At some point, you have to stop blaming the refs and prevent the Jets from scoring a touchdown.

A phantom PI call that puts the ball on the 1? Yup, gotta make that stop...

Sam Hall
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
A phantom PI call that puts the ball on the 1? Yup, gotta make that stop...

Like I said, you gotta stop the bleeding before it gets out of control.

Shag
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM

:facepalm:

milkman
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Good to know you're a fucking moron.

Sam Hall
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM
:facepalm:

That's basically what everyone was thinking during that drive.

kysirsoze
12-11-2011, 02:40 PM
The bullshit PIs happened because of Haley having a meltdown on the sideline. IMO, he's directly responsible for all three of those penalties.

So prefessional refs made bad calls to spite an angry coach? How is that logical? I doubt that reasoning would hold up when the referee's performance is reviewed.

Sam Hall
Good to know you're a ****ing moron.

I like to think beyond one play.

FAX

Amen to that.

Those were two of the worst calls I've ever seen. The refs had it in for us. Haley must have pissed them off.

That call against Lewis was unbelievable.

FAX

Frankie
12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
...if they were really terrible calls, and we're this far out of the game, I'm OK with him getting flagged. It's like a manager getting tossed in a baseball game in defense of his players. If done right it can be a gesture of leadership.

My thoughts exactly.

milkman
12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I like to think beyond one play.

So, they get the ball at the one yard line on bullshit calls, and you think that is where you can stop the bleeding?

That's what you call thinking?

That's what I call moronic.

Fucking moron.

FloridaMan88
12-11-2011, 02:47 PM

You still think the Chiefs looked "motivated" (as you credited to Haley)?

LMAOLMAOLMAO

Are you going to run from your dumbass statement now you little BITCH?

Sam Hall
12-11-2011, 02:48 PM
So, they get the ball at the one yard line on bullshit calls, and you think that is where you can stop the bleeding?

That's what you call thinking?

That's what I call moronic.

****ing moron.

We're talking about a 90-yard drive. At some point, you have to man up, overcome the obstacles and make a big play. If you're Todd Haley, you have to control your emotions. The head coach can usually say anything and not get an unsportsmanlike penalty. He must have gone ballistic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2011, 02:56 PM
So prefessional refs made bad calls to spite an angry coach? How is that logical? I doubt that reasoning would hold up when the referee's performance is reviewed.

I didn't realize that penalty calls worked in a syllogistic fashion.

Al Bundy
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Bucs might have outsucked the Chiefs today... 7 turnovers with I believe 7 penalties as well.

Lonewolf Ed
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
We're talking about a 90-yard drive. At some point, you have to man up, overcome the obstacles and make a big play. If you're Todd Haley, you have to control your emotions. The head coach can usually say anything and not get an unsportsmanlike penalty. He must have gone ballistic.

I am thinking he may have used five or more f words and derivitives thereof in the same sentence and got the flag thrown. Still, it certainly seemed once he lost his cool, not that he is known for keeping it, the team went with him.

trndobrd
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Sure. Kind of a 'wearing a skirt like that, she was asking for it' reasoning.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Sure. Kind of a 'wearing a skirt like that, she was asking for it' reasoning.

Moron makes moronic analogy.

trndobrd
12-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Moron makes moronic analogy.

Had a moronic statement to start with.

aturnis
12-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I really didn't mind it. A lot of bad calls, and other than that, at that point, it's hard to overcome the frustration. Wish they would have started committing blatantly obvious intentional penalties just to make a point. That was bullshit on the refs part.

aturnis
12-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Duh. How stupid is that?

Dave Lane
12-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I didn't realize that penalty calls worked in a syllogistic fashion.

His reaction that got him flagged was in reaction to the penalties.

DeezNutz
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Whether or not the refs were responding, subconsciously or not, to Haley's meltdown is up for debate. What isn't up for debate is that the rest of the team, notably McClain, followed the HC's lead.

It wasn't to the level of '98 MNF, but the overall reaction of the team on this drive was an embarrassing reflection on the state of the organization.

Rain Man
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
As mentioned earlier, this would have been more embarrassing if the calls were legitimate. They were not legitimate calls. The refs completely lost control of this game, and whatever Haley said to them got under their skin. It's pretty obvious.

And I have never, ever, ever seen a penalty called against a team's sideline. And it happened to our team twice in one game? We shouldn't be embarrassed. The officials and the league should be embarrassed.

Chiefaholic
12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I'll tell you where the problem is... The pussification of the NFL. Defensive players are SCARED to sack a QB or knock the ball loose from a WR because they'll get FINED for playing defense! Referees are terrified that a star player might get hurt and hurt TV ratings, so they'll throw a flag for virtually anything that resembles a "dirty hit" on players that drive up TV ratings.

I LOVE to watch football, but I admit that's it's not near as fun to watch that it was 15-20 years ago. THEN players were allowed to sack your QB without fear of a $25K fine. Safties were allowed to punish a WR who dared to catch a ball in their area of the field. If a LB was close to the QB when he released the ball, he was allowed to hit him to let him know what was coming on the next pass attempt, thus get into his head and force him to throw the ball when he's pressured next time.

The Haley haters need to get the F*** off your soap box and realize our current team strength IS defense and the refs won't allow us to play the only option for us to win a game. I don't give a rats ass if Haley is fired this offseason if the next coach doesn't tear down the few strengths we do have. But, Haley getting fired up on the sideline because of some weak ass flags thrown on the field is exactly what needed done. Would you rather he pull a "Herm Edwards" and stand with his arms crossed telling our guys "it's OK!" . F*** that crap!!!

Bugeater
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll tell you where the problem is... The pussification of the NFL. Defensive players are SCARED to sack a QB or knock the ball loose from a WR because they'll get FINED for playing defense! Referees are terrified that a star player might get hurt and hurt TV ratings, so they'll throw a flag for virtually anything that resembles a "dirty hit" on players that drive up TV ratings.

I LOVE to watch football, but I admit that's it's not near as fun to watch that it was 15-20 years ago. THEN players were allowed to sack your QB without fear of a $25K fine. Safties were allowed to punish a WR who dared to catch a ball in their area of the field. If a LB was close to the QB when he released the ball, he was allowed to hit him to let him know what was coming on the next pass attempt, thus get into his head and force him to throw the ball when he's pressured next time.

The Haley haters need to get the F*** off your soap box and realize our current team strength IS defense and the refs won't allow us to play the only option for us to win a game. I don't give a rats ass if Haley is fired this offseason if the next coach doesn't tear down the few strengths we do have. But, Haley getting fired up on the sideline because of some weak ass flags thrown on the field is exactly what needed done. Would you rather he pull a "Herm Edwards" and stand with his arms crossed telling our guys "it's OK!" . F*** that crap!!!
Do you play fantasy football? If so, you're part of the problem.

Rain Man
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM

It points out that more than ever, you win in this league by having a star player that opponents and officials are afraid to cross. And that player has to be a quarterback.

Frankie
12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
As mentioned earlier, this would have been more embarrassing if the calls were legitimate. They were not legitimate calls. The refs completely lost control of this game, and whatever Haley said to them got under their skin. It's pretty obvious.

And I have never, ever, ever seen a penalty called against a team's sideline. And it happened to our team twice in one game? We shouldn't be embarrassed. The officials and the league should be embarrassed.

THIS!

and this:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8190918#post8190918

BigMeatballDave
12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
The bullshit PIs happened because of Haley having a meltdown on the sideline. IMO, he's directly responsible for all three of those penalties.I never saw him having a meltdown. I'm not saying it didnt happen, I just didnt see it. Link?

Chiefaholic
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Do you play fantasy football? If so, you're part of the problem.

NOPE... Do you enjoy watching flag football? If so, YOU'RE part of the problem.

BigMeatballDave
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
People who hate Todd cannot possibly look at this subjectively.

Pitt Gorilla
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure a defense can have a "possession." Wouldn't that be a series?

DeezNutz
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I never saw him having a meltdown. I'm not saying it didnt happen, I just didnt see it. Link?

www.hewasflaggedforunsportsmanlikeconduct.com

And I don't care about whether or not the calls were "correct." No matter the validity of the calls, a HC must continue to try to assert a certain level of composure. With Haley, this was certainly not the case today.

Brock
12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
People who hate Todd cannot possibly look at this subjectively.

More likely than those people who swing from his bruised and battered nutsack.

Brock
12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
His reaction that got him flagged was in reaction to the penalties.

2nd down at NYJ8 6:41 Penalty: Roughing Passer on Kansas City (Jovan Belcher) 15 yards.
1st down at NYJ23 6:36 Penalty: Holding on Kansas City (Cory Greenwood) 5 yards.
>>>>>>>>1st down at NYJ28 6:36 Penalty: Unsports. Conduct on Kansas City 15 yards.
1st down at NYJ43 6:31 Shonn Greene rush to the right for 4 yards to the NYJ47. Tackled by Tyson Jackson and Demorrio Williams.
2nd down at NYJ47 5:48 Shonn Greene rush to the left for 3 yards to the 50. Tackled by Derrick Johnson.
3rd down at 50 5:04 Penalty: Pass Interference on Kansas City (Brandon Flowers) 16 yards.
1st down at KC34 4:54 Penalty: Pass Interference on Kansas City (Kendrick Lewis) 30 yards.

Demonpenz
12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
coaches berate the officials far too much. Any other sports they would be kicked out.

PunkinDrublic
12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
That was the most unprofessional I've seen an officiating crew. I don't care how much a coach is pissing you off you still need to keep your objectivity when officiating a game. You don't need to need to taint the game because a coach hurt your feelings. They need to be fined big time.

Chiefaholic
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
The loss didn't bother me near as much as the officiating literally taking them the vast majority of the way to the touchdown. W/o the refs help, no way possible for the Jets to score on that series.

WhiteWhale
12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Whether or not the refs were responding, subconsciously or not, to Haley's meltdown is up for debate. What isn't up for debate is that the rest of the team, notably McClain, followed the HC's lead.

It wasn't to the level of '98 MNF, but the overall reaction of the team on this drive was an embarrassing reflection on the state of the organization.

Most important thing.

The team totally lost their composure AFTER Haley lost his.

This is the lowest point of his tenure and I have a hard time imagining him being retained at this point.

stonedstooge
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
They showed Haley right after he was penalized and he didn't look pissed off at all

InChiefsHeaven
12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
That drive was the epitome of "when it rains it pours".

CoMoChief
12-11-2011, 08:25 PM
is there like a monday night meltdown "highlight" video? It's been a long time since I've seen that.

Frankie
12-11-2011, 10:36 PM
That was the most unprofessional I've seen an officiating crew. I don't care how much a coach is pissing you off you still need to keep your objectivity when officiating a game. You don't need to need to taint the game because a coach hurt your feelings. They need to be fined big time.

AMEN. That's why, even though that drive had nothing to do with our loss, it hurts so much.

Fat Elvis
12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Monday Night Meltdown. 1998 Chiefs

This. What made it even worse for me was the fact it was the very last game my father and I watched together. He passed away later that night. I hate that game.