PDA

View Full Version : Football AFC West - Week 15

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Ok, so ... here we are, week 15. I'm as stunned as anyone at how things have progressed and I really believe this is the 'make or break' week for the team that ultimately wins the division title.

(Yes, I realize that winning the division title may not mean much when the playoffs arrive, but let's discuss anyway)

records overall / division / conference

Broncos 8-5 / 3-2 / 6-3 vs Patriots (10-3) in Denver
Raiders 7-6 / 2-2 / 5-5 vs Lions (8-5) in Oakland
Chargers 6-7 / 2-3 / 5-5 vs Ravens (10-3) in San Diego
Chiefs 5-8 / 2-2 / 3-7 vs Packers (13-0) in Kansas City

So, oddly enough... all AFCW teams host teams with winning records and realistically, they could all walk away with losses.

And, I haven't looked at the Vegas odds, but the road teams are likely favored in every game this week. A win by any team (especially Den, Oak, SD) can really change the face of this race with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season.

I'm hoping for the best, obviously... but it's going to take a great effort for Denver to beat New England, and it's more on what the defense can do to stop/contain Brady/Gronk/Welker. Denver *should* be able to move the ball and score on the NE defense, but they can't get into a shootout.

I just don't see how Green Bay loses this week, unless they rest everyone - sorry, not intended to be a cyber kick to the jewels, just reality.

I also don't see how the Chargers will beat the Ravens.

That leaves the Lions traveling to the Black Hole. The Lions have issues and can be exploited, but with a bad 2 game skid... can the Raiders regroup enough to win?

Again, it's a huge week... all are at home and all are facing tough challenges. A win by any team really could make this interesting.

jd1020
12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
The Steelers or Ravens will gang rape whatever team wins the West.

hometeam
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Might as well chalk up a loss for Both Denver and KC.

Pats arent going to be held to 7 points so Tebow can run around like a madman in the 4th quarter and beat them in OT.

KC.. well we know about KC.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Ravens swept the Steelers, so barring a collapse - they should win that divisions, meaning the Steelers as the 5 seed would travel to the AFCW winner (4 seed). At least that is how the recent scenarios have shaped up.

And, I'm not disagree with your thought on that one... but, I would love to see PITT @ Denver... just to see 'what if'.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Might as well chalk up a loss for Both Denver and KC.

Pats arent going to be held to 7 points so Tebow can run around like a madman in the 4th quarter and beat them in OT.

KC.. well we know about KC.

Agreed, but much like games vs OAK and MIN during this last stretch, I think Denver's offense can and will have success.. NE's defense isn't elite by any stretch of the imagination. Now, I don't think they can win an all out shoot out, but they can put up 24+ points without question.

Patriots Defense...
#32 overall
#32 vs pass
#13 vs rush
#14 scoring

jd1020
12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Ravens swept the Steelers, so barring a collapse - they should win that divisions, meaning the Steelers as the 5 seed would travel to the AFCW winner (4 seed). At least that is how the recent scenarios have shaped up.

And, I'm not disagree with your thought on that one... but, I would love to see PITT @ Denver... just to see 'what if'.

Meh. The Steelers don't need a Ravens collapse to win their division. They are both 10-3.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Meh. The Steelers don't need a Ravens collapse to win their division. They are both 10-3.

Well (Ravens swept PIT), so if they both close out with the same record, the Steelers are the wildcard.

PITT - @ SF / vs Rams / @ CLE
BAL - @ SD / vs CLE / @ CIN

Worst case... 2-1 for both? I don't see either team losing more than 1 game and would be shocked if BAL didn't go 3-0.

BigMeatballDave
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
The Lions get Suh back.

They should 'stomp' the Raiders...

jd1020
12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Well (Ravens swept PIT), so if they both close out with the same record, the Steelers are the wildcard.

PITT - @ SF / vs Rams / @ CLE
BAL - @ SD / vs CLE / @ CIN

Worst case... 2-1 for both? I don't see either team losing more than 1 game and would be shocked if BAL didn't go 3-0.

I could see BAL dropping to SD or CIN.

I don't trust their offense. SD would probably win a shootout and CIN could stonewall BAL's offense. Both games are away games as well.

JD10367
12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Agreed, but much like games vs OAK and MIN during this last stretch, I think Denver's offense can and will have success.. NE's defense isn't elite by any stretch of the imagination. Now, I don't think they can win an all out shoot out, but they can put up 24+ points without question.

Patriots Defense...
#32 overall
#32 vs pass
#13 vs rush
#14 scoring

The Broncos and Chiefs face the same problem this week: league's two most powerful Os and two weakest Ds. Much like the Chiefs will probably lose 44-20, the Broncos will probably lose 34-24. Unless the Pack or Pats shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers.

Hydrae
12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
The Broncos and Chiefs face the same problem this week: league's two most powerful Os and two weakest Ds. Much like the Chiefs will probably lose 44-20, the Broncos will probably lose 34-24. Unless the Pack or Pats shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers.

ROFL

You think the Chiefs will score 20???

ROFL

KC-TBB
12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
we should just mail in our regrets that we will not be able to attend this weeks game.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Possibly... we'll see what happens. The Redskins gave the Patriots a scare last week. If Denver can find a way to contain Gronk and Welker, the Patriots can be defeated. They're a tough team, without question... but, they're not dominating in all phases.

NE's defense is nothing like the Bears... or the Jets, for that matter.

jd1020
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Week 15 is going to be the week that number 15 gets exposed... again.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Week 15 is going to be the week that number 15 gets exposed... again.

Possibly, we'll see... I've never said they're winning only because of Tebow.

I think he's definitely had his challenges and has room to improve. There's no lacking of leadership though and the team is fully bought in. If the defense plays the way they've been playing, and the ground game keeps it up... they should be fine. Tebow has improved quite a bit in the passing game. They just need to get rolling earlier and I expect them to do so this week.

KC Dan
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Donkeys 30
Patsies 24

Count it!

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Donkeys 30
Patsies 24

Count it!

Can you imagine the media convulsion if that were to happen? It is hard to imagine that they could find more ways to cover the guy, but they would. It would be insane... As if it isn't already.

CaliforniaChief
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
The Chiefs will start Stanzi and be much more competitive, but will still lose easily.

The Chargers are going to win in Baltimore.

The Raiders are going to lose to the Lions. And there may be more personal fouls in this game than in Men's Central Prison in L.A.

The Broncos are going to lose to the Patriots. Like the Chiefs, the Broncos will hold the Pats down early, but they'll get it cranking and cruise, IMO.

I still think San Diego's going to win this division.

Rain Man
12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
This season is killing me.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
The Chiefs will start Stanzi and be much more competitive, but will still lose easily.

The Chargers are going to win in Baltimore.

The Raiders are going to lose to the Lions. And there may be more personal fouls in this game than in Men's Central Prison in L.A.

The Broncos are going to lose to the Patriots. Like the Chiefs, the Broncos will hold the Pats down early, but they'll get it cranking and cruise, IMO.

I still think San Diego's going to win this division.

I just don't see the Ravens losing to SD, all AFCW teams likely lose. SD may not have enough to rally back this season.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
:facepalm: SI Cover Jinx ... yeah, they pick this week right before the Patriots come to town to put Tebow on the cover. Wonderful.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x223/Babycarob/Misc%20gifs%20and%20imagines/no-darth_vader.jpg

okcchief
12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Every team in the division loses this week.

Amnorix
12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
:facepalm: SI Cover Jinx ... yeah, they pick this week right before the Patriots come to town to put Tebow on the cover. Wonderful.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x223/Babycarob/Misc%20gifs%20and%20imagines/no-darth_vader.jpg

ROFL

Amnorix
12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Agreed, but much like games vs OAK and MIN during this last stretch, I think Denver's offense can and will have success.. NE's defense flat out sucks. Now, I don't think they can win an all out shoot out, but they can put up 24+ points without question.

FYP.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
All right, Amnorix... what do you see happening.

We know the history of NE in Denver... what they're doing now and how Denver is playing. Overall, what do you see happening?

SenselessChiefsFan
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I am surprised at how the season has gone, but back in the offseason, I expected Denver to be much better with Fox. I expected they would be better than Oakland.

I just expected them to be third, and the Raiders to be fourth.

I actually love how the season is turning out. The Chiefs have rid themselves of Haley, and are going into the draft with a great pick and an opportunity to really improve the team. The Broncos are winning with Tebow, so they will probably keep him. The Chargers look like they are making a late season push to keep Turner, and the Raiders traded away what hope they had for Carson Palmer. And, what is more entertaining is that they actually played well for a couple games....just enough to give them hope....only to come crashing down to earth.

Now, as for this weekend. I would be more surprised if the Raiders beat Detroit than if Denver beats the Pats.

I think that Denver has a real chance with that defense. I also expect the Broncos to pound the ball at the Pats. I don't think they win, but they might.

The Chargers are playing for more than the Ravens. And, thanks to the Chiefs, they have a good offensive lineman protecting Rivers. No coincidence that Gaither goes to SD and they start playing much better. Will be a hard fought game, but I think the Chargers can win.

That leaves the Chiefs. The Chiefs have a new coach, and new hope. I imagine they will come out fired up and give the Pack the best game that they can..... and I expect the game to be close through a quarter and a half.

Then, I expect the Pack to throttle them. I think the score will look better than the game. I am saying 45-24.

Sofa King
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Every team in the division loses this week.

Yup.

Ugly Duck
12-15-2011, 08:08 PM
What the "experts" say..... of the 14 "experts" on CBS & SI & USA Today:

0 picked KC over the Pack
1 picked the Broncos over the Pats
2 picked the Bolts over the Ravens
3 picked the Raiders over the Lions

A grim consensus....

Mile High Mania
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Either way, I'm just hoping for some good games... well, at least one really good game.

Rasputin
12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
If the Chiefs, Faiders, Donkos & that other team in the west all lose, are the Chiefs still mathematically eliminated from playoffs?

Hammock Parties
12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
The good news is that John Fox has never had two winning seasons in a row.

Enjoy your losing season next year!

Mile High Mania
12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
The good news is that John Fox has never had two winning seasons in a row.

Enjoy your losing season next year!

Interesting... you know how many ways I can twist the Chiefs' history, projecting doom and gloom for you and your great grandkids? Granted, you would have to find someone to breed with, but that is highly unlikely.

whoman69
12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Interesting... you know how many ways I can twist the Chiefs' history, projecting doom and gloom for you and your great grandkids? Granted, you would have to find someone to breed with, but that is highly unlikely.

That is highly unlikely, but doesn't mean he can't use google.

Mile High Mania
12-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Crazy - I haven't been watching the games, but it looks like KC may be able to hold on and win - congrats to you guys.