PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How does Teicher still have a job? (KC Star Chat)

dallaschiefsfan
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
If the most obvious need is not obvious to him, then he will not ever do his job right and ask the right questions. From the transcript:

Question: What are your list of priorities of need for the team right now player-wise?

Teicher: Upgrading the offensive and defensive lines should be a priority. They need another pass rusher. They could use an upgrade at quarterback but those guys are hard to find.

Question: Do you see the Chiefs trying to move up and take RG3? Would that be a good move?

Teicher: To make a move to get him, the Chiefs might have to give up a lot. Then you're gambling the future on one guy. That's not something successful teams ever do. So if he falls to them, it's a good move. If not, they'll still have the ability to get a good player.

:banghead:

gblowfish
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
He's not near as clueless as Karen Kornacki.
She should be doing PR for the Girl Scouts and get out of major league sports.

mcaj22
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
upgrading the defensive line?

havent we been trying to do that the last 5 years with half our first round picks lol?

ugh

WhiteWhale
12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
You're gambling the future with one guy regardless now. Like it or not (and I do NOT) success in the NFL (thanks to fantasy football, Roger Goddell, and Bill Polian) hinges on the QB position.

Whoever is behind center... that's your gamble.

I'll reiterate this...

If KC drafts RGIII and he and Charles play all season we will lead the NFL in rushing and make the playoffs.

dallaschiefsfan
12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
I like Kent Babb ok...and Mellinger seems to be growing on me. But Teicher is horrible. He's the Herm Edwards of the Kansas City Star.

Dave Lane
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
He's a true fan.

Dayze
12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
he's a stuttering buffoon.

heaven forbit we 'hinge' our future on one guy. that's too risky, and Clark might not win all his home games.

WhiteWhale
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
he's a stuttering buffoon.

heaven forbit we 'hinge' our future on one guy. that's too risky, and Clark might not win all his home games.

Exactly.

Why would we want to try something that has worked for several teams when we could do what has not worked so well for us?

It really is common sense. Don't be bold and take a risk with a huge payoff. Play it safe and stick with the status quo. Teicher is smart.

Bob Dole
12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Then you're gambling the future on one guy. That's not something successful teams ever do.

The Saints won the whole thing 10 years after trading their entire draft for Ricky Williams.

Of course, neither the coach nor Ricky were still there. Bob Dole would trade away an entire draft class if it meant we'd have a championship 10 years from now.

DaveNull
12-13-2011, 01:41 PM
If a qb can't get more than two seconds in the pocket before getting rocked, it's going to be hard for anybody to be successful.

Rasputin
12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
upgrading the defensive line?

havent we been trying to do that the last 5 years with half our first round picks lol?

ugh

What's Ryan hamburger Simms doing these days?

Dayze
12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
If a qb can't get more than two seconds in the pocket before getting rocked, it's going to be hard for anybody to be successful.

a good QB can make up for deficencies on the line.
it doesn't work the other way around.

edit : look at the sack numbers from Brady the year before his season ending injury; then the year with Cassel.

look at Indy's line with Manning, and without.

and, good QBs overcome sacks. Hell, Rodgers is one of the most sacked qbs in the league.

average QBs will play average with a good O-line, and terrible with an average line.

dallaschiefsfan
12-13-2011, 01:44 PM

If a scrub has the best line and has all day in the pocket most weeks, he's still going to get hammered by the best teams in the NFL during the playoffs. PERIOD.

Championships...not just wins.

Molitoth
12-13-2011, 01:46 PM

If the lineman trust and respect that the QB is actually worth a sh*t to get the ball out of his hands accurately and get some first downs, they may be motivated to block a little better. I wouldn't block for Cassel or Palko either.

suds79
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
This doesn't surprise me.

I've seen enough chats & thoughts from Teicher to realize he just doesn't understand how big QB is for an NFL team.

I'd like to hear him explain a situation where a team should draft a QB in the first. He just doesn't believe in it. Got to get those Guards & Nose Tackles, etc. You know. The real playmakers. ;)

Rasputin
12-13-2011, 01:48 PM

It's amazing how much success Tom Brady & Peyton Manning have found success running the offense out of the shot gun.

Manning didn't have an O line his first year yet the team got better after his first year and he survived up till this last year.

I swear this fan base or just general fans don't have the gonads, balls, guts, testicular structure to give a rookie QB a chance.

Infidel Goat
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
He's a true fan.

He's actually a Raiders fan. He admitted it years ago on the old KC Star board.

Molitoth
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
It's amazing how much success Tom Brady & Peyton Manning have found success running the offense out of the shot gun.

More proof that QB's who are accurate passers can do what they want. Franchises like the Chiefs have to run Play-action trickery in order to attempt the ball downfield because we send out a bag of sh*t behind the center.

Munson
12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
The Saints won the whole thing 10 years after trading their entire draft for Ricky Williams.

Of course, neither the coach nor Ricky were still there. Bob Dole would trade away an entire draft class if it meant we'd have a championship 10 years from now.

Well, we wasted an entire draft class(2009) with shitty decision making. That's close enough in my book. So that means we'll have our SB victory by 2019.LMAO

suds79
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Don't get me wrong. These guys are GREAT. But It's the spread. It's a QB friendly system. Easy to put up big numbers.

Been in college for a long time now. And it's been in the NFL for a few years now.

Never been an easier time to play QB in the NFL with the introduction of the spread IMO. Well, that and the rule changes.

WhiteWhale
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Manning didn't have an O line his first year yet the team got better after his first year and he survived up till this last year.

I swear this fan base or just general fans don't have the gonads, balls, guts, testicular structure to give a rookie QB a chance.

I dunno.

Why don't we give this fanbase a chance with a rookie QB and actually see what happens?

We sure as hell aren't patient with other teams' back up QB's and undrafted scrubs. We shouldn't be patient with that. It's bullshit.

WhiteWhale
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Don't get me wrong. These guys are GREAT. But It's the spread. It's a QB friendly system. Easy to put up big numbers.

Been in college for a long time now. And it's been in the NFL for a few years now.

Never been an easier time to play QB in the NFL with the introduction of the spread IMO. Well, that and the rule changes.

A few years?

It's been around 10 years now. It's a big part of their success. It's not exactly the same spread offense you see in college though.

suds79
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
A few years?

It's been around 10 years now. It's a big part of their success. It's not exactly the same spread offense you see in college though.

Fine. I'm not going to argue on the timeline and exactly how it was run. Wasn't really my point.

My main point was that he was saying "It's amazing what these guys do out of shotgun all the time." My point was that no it's not as much. It's a QB friendly system.

Dayze
12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
A few years?

exaclty. a true spread has lineman splits way wider than usual. just becuause it's 4+ wide, doesn't necessarily equate to 'spread'. it's the route combinations as a whole in the 4+ wide that give the openings for wrs etc. And thus, a QB can recognize where those holes are going to be pre-snap.
or, at a minimum, he can eliminate a 1/4 or 1/2 of of the routes/field field based on what the defense is showing.

WhiteWhale
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Fine. I'm not going to argue on the timeline and exactly how it was run. Wasn't really my point.

My main point was that he was saying "It's amazing what these guys do out of shotgun all the time." My point was that no it's not as much. It's a QB friendly system.

They're a huge part of it, as is the QB.

The patriots actually ran MORE shotgun/spread stuff when Cassel was playing than they did with Brady.. and he still got sacked twice as much on fewer attempts. Cassel looked better than he should have, but you can obviously still see a chasm in their abilities.

I would love to see us run more shotgun spread type stuff. I've been advocating such a thing since 2007 when we scrapped the Coryell offense.

htismaqe
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Just listen to 810 and 610.

Teicher still has a job because the average fan actually AGREES with him.

We just need to fix the offensive and defensive lines and we'll be fine.