PDA

View Full Version : Life What do you know about Myrtle Beach, SC?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
We're thinking about moving there. I loved Charlotte, and Myrtle Beach sounds even better. I miss the Ocean, and Hillbilly Hollywood is shutting down for the next 3 months. What can you tell me about where to live, where to eat, and where to play? Also, what's he culture like? Southern Hospitality like Charlotte was? Anything you can offer is appreciated. TIA.

Chiefnj2
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Jesus belt.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Jesus belt.

Yeah, I'll be moving from the buckle to the 3rd loop.

Bowser
12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
All I know about the place is that there is some excellent golfing there, if that's your kind of thing. Always wanted to visit there.

Chiefnj2
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Lots of Canadians.

Hydrae
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
There, the Oregon coast and the Holy Land are the only places to get myrtlewood. :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Lots of Canadians.

Pouteen FTMFW!!! :Lin:

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I lived there for two and a half years - early 2008 to late 2010. If you're looking at places, I'd really, really recommend Carolina Forest. It's just outside of town on 501, and it's really, really growing.

Food... if you're IN Myrtle Beach, it basically sucks. Chains and buffets, mostly. For good food, excellent fresh seafood, drive 20 minutes south to Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island or another 20 minutes down to Georgetown.

The culture ain't Southern, I can tell you that (having lived in Montgomery, AL). MB is so full of transplants, anything that once was Southern isn't there anymore. Seriously, having lived there for a couple of years, I think I can count on my hands the number of people I met that actually were born there. Now, once you're outside of MB in other parts of SC - even in Conway, Longs, Florence - you can definitely get the Southern experience.

There is definitely some great golf in the area, and a ton of putt-putt and Par 3 courses, too. Most of MB is very touristy, so I would guess most of it you won't be interested in after you've lived there for more than a couple of months.

I lived in a three-bedroom condo on Ocean Boulevard. I could walk out of my condo and see water. And that was awesome. But living in town ain't all fun and games. During tourist season, it blows.

Personally, here's my deal... I loved Myrtle Beach from September to May. But from May to September during tourist season, I seriously did everything I could to not leave my house. I went to work, and I went home. I ordered delivery food. Occasionally, I'd make a very early run to the grocery story (early is better, people are hung over and still asleep).

Anything specific you want to know? I'm glad to help.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Jesus belt.

Not Myrtle Beach. Maybe the rest of SC, but not MB.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I was hoping you'd chime in. I remembered you living there shortly after I left Charlotte. Tourist season sucks, but that's my bread and butter so it's a necessary evil. Glad to know about the culture too, a lot of that goes on here in Branson.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions moving forward, I may just hit you up on Facebook if you're there more than here. I appreciate you buddy.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
What's the crime rate like? Is there parts of town that are best to avoid outright, or is it really not that bad down there?

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I was hoping you'd chime in. I remembered you living there shortly after I left Charlotte. Tourist season sucks, but that's my bread and butter so it's a necessary evil. Glad to know about the culture too, a lot of that goes on here in Branson.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions moving forward, I may just hit you up on Facebook if you're there more than here. I appreciate you buddy.

Either one is fine. I'm here just about as much as I am in Facebook. Either reply to this thread (I'm subscribed to it) or shoot me a PM.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
What's the crime rate like? Is there parts of town that are best to avoid outright, or is it really not that bad down there?

I wouldn't go south of 11th street after dark. Crime is up in the summer, which is to be expected when 14 million tourons hit down in mid-May. The thing to keep in mind if you go looking at crime stats is it's based on the number of residents. Well, that per-capita number is going to get destroyed with the tourist industry, and it'll appear that crime is very high. In reality, it's about the same as any big city during tourist season.

Most of the crime I saw as part of the news industry was related to bad people doing things they shouldn't be doing.

That said, someone stole a bicycle off my enclosed front porch when I was sitting in my living room, and a neighbor scared off someone from ripping off a scooter I took to work when it was really nice out.

FAX
12-13-2011, 03:53 PM
They don't have a football team.

That's pretty good.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't go south of 11th street after dark. Crime is up in the summer, which is to be expected when 14 million tourons hit down in mid-May. The thing to keep in mind if you go looking at crime stats is it's based on the number of residents. Well, that per-capita number is going to get destroyed with the tourist industry, and it'll appear that crime is very high. In reality, it's about the same as any big city during tourist season.

Most of the crime I saw as part of the news industry was related to bad people doing things they shouldn't be doing.

That said, someone stole a bicycle off my enclosed front porch when I was sitting in my living room, and a neighbor scared off someone from ripping off a scooter I took to work when it was really nice out.

So North Myrtle Beach is better? Huh...i thought it was the opposite.

Bearcat
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I've been there on vacation a few times, and got the same vibes Fire Me Boy! described as far as food, tourist hell, etc... it's a pretty generic tourist destination, IMO.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
So North Myrtle Beach is better? Huh...i thought it was the opposite.

No, I'd stay between 11th Street and 80th Street. NMB is pretty rough too, but that is basically MB proper. Tourist area is basically 11th to 29th.

For living, seriously, go to Carolina Forest.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Are there plenty of jobs? IM covered, but I have two people with me.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Not sure about the job market. Sorry.

R8RFAN
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I know alot about it...

Wide ass open in the summer, bumper to bumper traffic.... In the winter, you could die in the Walmart parking lot and lay there until spring....

I lived close to there as a kid

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I know alot about it...

Wide ass open in the summer, bumper to bumper traffic.... In the winter, you could die in the Walmart parking lot and lay there until spring....

I lived close to there as a kid

This is fairly accurate, which is probably why I liked it in the winter and hated it in the summer.

In the summer, you can't hit the early bird dinner at Chili's without waiting in line, let alone normal dinner hours. In the winter, you can go wherever the hell you want without waiting. It was quite nice.

R8RFAN
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't know of any jobs unless you want to work in a restauraunt

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't know of any jobs unless you want to work in a restauraunt

Or Walmart.

HemiEd
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
All I know about the place is that there is some excellent golfing there, if that's your kind of thing. Always wanted to visit there.

Yeah, it is a golfers dream. I used to spend a week there in the spring for a few years.
Saw Iron Butterfly in concert there in 1970. :D

seaofred
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
If you like living in Branson, you'll love it there. It's basically Branson with an ocean.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
If you like living in Branson, you'll love it there. It's basically Branson with an ocean.

There's a good amount of truth to this.

R8RFAN
12-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I used to live in Murrells inlet SC just south of there as a teen, I worked in a seafood restaurant, I would get off of work about 1 am and go home and shower, get Moms car keys and head to Myrtle Beach about 10-15 miles away... In the summer, the city never sleeps...

Party all night, sleep until 4, go to work repeat process...

Fun times

QuikSsurfer
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM

This is pretty accurate, actually.
MB is a very cool spot and within 20 minutes of great food.
Haha definitely not a bible thumping place despite its southern location.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
This is pretty accurate, actually.
MB is a very cool spot and within 20 minutes of great food.
Haha definitely not a bible thumping place despite its southern location.

Not this. Maybe for a visitor, not for a resident.

Rain Man
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I know only of the golden-eyed sand creatures that rise from the beach at night and gnaw off the arms of the living. Oh, and good seafood.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Pretty positive feedback so far. I appreciate it.

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I know only of the golden-eyed sand creatures that rise from the beach at night and gnaw off the arms of the living. Oh, and good seafood.

Seafood in MB is not good. Gotta get out of town for good seafood. Everything in MB is frozen, unless you hit a mom and pop shop (which there aren't very many of).

Rain Man
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Seafood in MB is not good. Gotta get out of town for good seafood. Everything in MB is frozen, unless you hit a mom and pop shop (which there aren't very many of).

Oh. My mistake on the seafood part, then.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
We're thinking about moving there. I loved Charlotte, and Myrtle Beach sounds even better. I miss the Ocean, and Hillbilly Hollywood is shutting down for the next 3 months. What can you tell me about where to live, where to eat, and where to play? Also, what's he culture like? Southern Hospitality like Charlotte was? Anything you can offer is appreciated. TIA.

We've been there four times for vacation. It's a small town with an ocean and a roller coaster pretty much lol. It's awesome. Lots and lots of tourists during the time we go, but that's expected. Gorgeous. The people are friendly, it's a great place, IMO.

WV
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM

They have a Captain Georges though and for a seafood buffett its tough to beat.

Rain Man
12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
We've been there four times for vacation. It's a small town with an ocean and a roller coaster pretty much lol. It's awesome. Lots and lots of tourists during the time we go, but that's expected. Gorgeous. The people are friendly, it's a great place, IMO.

Is the roller coaster actually in the ocean? Because that would be really cool, especially if it went underwater on some of the corkscrews and you had to hold your breath.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Is the roller coaster actually in the ocean? Because that would be really cool, especially if it went underwater on some of the corkscrews and you had to hold your breath.

lol I would never leave if that were the case.

crispystl
12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
The place is pretty cool I moved to Charlotte 3 years ago and we always take a weekend vacation there. I love it. Living there would probably be different though. You could definitely do a lot worse imop.

HonestChieffan
12-13-2011, 09:25 PM
lots a nice boobies in summer

Mosbonian
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Honestly....I liked Charleston alot more than Myrtle Beach if I was picking a place to live for the Winter. More to do, more to see, and to be honest there is a lot of history there if you like that stuff. Plus being there, you are actually halfway between Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach.