PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Sub woofer question

L.A. Chieffan
12-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I have a Sony Sub woofer with the four regular speaker wires coming out and Im trying to hook it into a new Yamaha receiver that I just got but the receiver only has the one RCA sub input. I know theres RCA adapters but will that work?

Baby Lee
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Not more info.

RCA outputs for LFE [low frequency effects, ie subwoofer] are not amplified. They send a signal to a sub that it expects to have its own amp.

Usually, a sub with speaker wires is piggybacking off the main speakers, wiring inline with them and taking over bass duties and pulling power from the same place was the main speakers [usually the receiver/amp].

loochy
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a Sony Sub woofer with the four regular speaker wires coming out and Im trying to hook it into a new Yamaha receiver that I just got but the receiver only has the one RCA sub input. I know theres RCA adapters but will that work?

What model is the receiver?

L.A. Chieffan
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
What model is the receiver?

Htr3060

L.A. Chieffan
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Not more info.

RCA outputs for LFE [low frequency effects, ie subwoofer] are not amplified. They send a signal to a sub that it expects to have its own amp.

Usually, a sub with speaker wires is piggybacking off the main speakers, wiring inline with them and taking over bass duties and pulling power from the same place was the main speakers [usually the receiver/amp].

Im going to try wiring RCA plugs and then using a pigtail to connect, I just hope it doesn't mess up the receiver

notorious
12-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Im going to try wiring RCA plugs and then using a pigtail to connect, I just hope it doesn't mess up the receiver

STOP!

Does your subwoofer have a wall outlet plug?

Some subwoofer modules contain the amp for the surround speakers. If you pigtail an output off an amplifier into a sub low-voltage out (RCA) than you could burn up your sub output on the receiver.

Some very cheap surround setups have a built in amp in the receiver that supplies power to the sub. They are fairly rare, though. Most subs enclosures will have some kind of built in power that supplies power to the sub and sometimes F/R speakers. Be careful.

WV
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Here's a burrito woofer?

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/u9ujo.gif?w=170&h=127

notorious
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Not more info.

You already covered it.

Just make sure that you are using the input and not output of the subwoofer or you might let out the magic smoke from your sub output.

notorious
12-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Sony could have some funky ohm ratings on the receiver/speaker combo that the sub went to originally. If there is no rca input on the sub, you need to use your R/L outputs from your receiver and run some wire to the sub.

If you use the Sub Output from the Yamaha, the output voltage will probably be way too low for the Sony Sub to reach any sort of acceptable volume.

notorious
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
If the sony sub sucks, check out this site for a decent bang for your buck sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=powered+sub&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=powered+sub