PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel won’t be shaking things up in his audition for the Chiefs’ head coaching job

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Crennel won’t be shaking things up in his audition for the Chiefs’ head coaching job (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/13/3318699/crennel-wont-be-shaking-things.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Romeo Crennel had a taste of his old life Tuesday, slipping back into the prestigious but occasionally uncomfortable role of an NFL head coach.

A day after being appointed the Chiefs’ interim head coach — stepping into the position after Todd Haley was fired Monday — Crennel began his day in his familiar meeting with defensive coaches. He had to leave that session early to stop in at another meeting, then another, followed by an 11 a.m. conference call with Kansas City reporters.

This is what life will be like for Crennel for at least three more weeks and possibly beyond.

“The biggest change is the time requirement and the other things that you have to spread yourself into,” Crennel said.

How he handles the hectic pace will be one of his first major tests in what will be a brief audition to have the “interim” label removed and begin the 2012 season as the Chiefs’ permanent leader. It won’t be easy for Crennel, 64, who is the league’s second-eldest head coach behind the New York Giants’ 65-year-old Tom Coughlin. Crennel underwent a hip-replacement procedure in 2009 after being fired as Cleveland’s head coach and then joined the Chiefs as defensive coordinator a year later.

Still, he said Tuesday that he hopes to be considered for the permanent job, demanding as it would be.

“I would like to be a head coach again and show that I can get it done,” said Crennel, who was 24-40 in four seasons with the Browns. “I know how to get it done, and I think the experience from the first time will make me better the next time around.”

He said that, if he weren’t interested in being the Chiefs’ head coach, he wouldn’t have accepted the offer from general manager Scott Pioli and chairman Clark Hunt to lead the Chiefs.

Crennel isn’t making things easy on himself, saying Tuesday that he’ll continue coordinating the Chiefs’ defense, including making all defensive play calls. Offensive coordinator Bill Muir and all other assistants will remain in their roles, Crennel said, in an effort to minimize the late-season changes that players must absorb. Crennel added that he’ll possess veto power on offensive play calls, if he thinks the Chiefs should run something different from what Muir and quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, who assists Muir in designing offensive game plans, have opted for.

“I think the best way for us to have a chance to be the most successful at the moment is not to create too many distractions,” Crennel said. “Me being named the head coach, that’s a distraction. I don’t want to have a distraction on offense, distraction on defense and a distraction on the whole team. …

“I know that, going forward, if I had a job going forward, then I might do something different. But right now, in this short season, I’m going to continue to call the defense.”

Players expressed surprise in the hours after Haley was fired following a 37-10 loss at the New York Jets. It was the Chiefs’ eighth loss this season and, a week after a victory at Chicago, punctuated the team’s inconsistent nature.

Crennel said he’ll have to get a handle on that, as well as somehow help to invigorate a stagnant offense that has scored two touchdowns in the last four games. That might involve a shake-up at quarterback. Tyler Palko has been erratic and inaccurate in his four starts, three of which were Chiefs losses, and Crennel didn’t rule out playing Ricky Stanzi, a rookie, or taking a look at recently acquired veteran Kyle Orton, if he’s healthy.

Orton suffered a finger injury in his only play against the Bears. He was inactive against the Jets.

Crennel said he’ll observe all three passers before making a decision on who gives the Chiefs the best chance to move the ball. Even after he decides, he might keep it to himself to avoid giving the undefeated Green Bay Packers any insight on the Chiefs’ plans.

“Green Bay right now, they don’t know much about me or what my choice might be offensively,” he said. “So I’m not going to try to give them an advantage at the moment.”

For now, Crennel said, he’ll lean on veteran assistant coaches, such as linebackers coach Gary Gibbs and secondary coach Emmitt Thomas, both of whom have also been head coaches. Thomas was Atlanta’s interim coach in 2007 after Bobby Petrino stepped down after 13 games.

Crennel admitted there will be no shortage of responsibilities in these final three weeks. But he said it was worth it to accept the Chiefs’ taxing — but potentially rewarding — assignment, for several reasons.

“I felt I should do it for the organization, as well as for myself,” he said.

Performing well in an interim capacity after the firing of head coach Todd Haley could lead to bigger things for Romeo Crennel. A few interim head coaches through the years, and how their stints turned out:

•Marty Schottenheimer, Browns: Succeeded Sam Rutligliano in ’84, and rest is history. Won at franchise-record .634 clip in KC.

•Marv Levy, Bills: Buffalo was 2-7 when he took over in 1986 but went on to win four straight AFC crowns under Levy.

•Jeff Fisher, Oilers/Titans: Elevated when Jack Pardee was canned in ’94. Boasts 146-120 mark, Super Bowl appearance.

•Leslie Frazier, Vikings: Succeeded Brad Childress for final six games of 2010, going 3-3. Vikings are 2-11 this season.

•Jason Garrett, Cowboys: Led Dallas to 5-3 mark in last half of 2010 after Wade Phillips was fired. Team is 7-6 in 2011.

•Mike Singletary, 49ers: Followed Mike Nolan, going 5-4 in 2008. But 13-18 showing in 2009-10 led to his ouster.

ChiefBlitz
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
holy shit thats long

jlscorpio
12-14-2011, 01:38 AM
his only shot at getting this job is for him to start Stanzi all 3 games, and the kid goes Tommy Terrific on the league, including the undefeated, undisputed World Champs rolling into town this week. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication, Romeo. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Having Romeo around will kill two birds with one stone.

1.) Taking over for Hailey
2.) Rooney Rule.

Not a bad play.

Dexter Manley
12-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Romeo should be judged on the merits of his candidacy, not on any racial BS from trolls here...

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Romeo should be judged on the merits of his candidacy, not on any racial BS from trolls here...

Whoa! Simma down nah....That's a strong accusation there lil buddy. You better rent a frame of reference before running off at the mouth like that. How is what I said racist Mr. Sharpton?

Thanks in advance!

Dexter Manley
12-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Whoa! Simma down nah....That's a strong accusation there lil buddy. You better rent a frame of reference before running off at the mouth like that. How is what I said racist Mr. Sharpton?

Thanks in advance!

You didn't spell Haley right... troll.

Bane
12-14-2011, 06:34 AM
No fucks given so far.

bevischief
12-14-2011, 06:38 AM
noob fight

Dexter Manley
12-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey, Geraldo, watch out for the...

chair.

FAX
12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Mods!@!!!!

Somebody is stealing my schtick!!!

FAX

ReynardMuldrake
12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Crennel won’t be shaking things up in his audition for the Chiefs’ head coaching job (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/13/3318699/crennel-wont-be-shaking-things.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Crennel said he’ll have to get a handle on that, as well as somehow help to invigorate a stagnant offense that has scored two touchdowns in the last four games. That might involve a shake-up at quarterback. Tyler Palko has been erratic and inaccurate in his four starts, three of which were Chiefs losses, and Crennel didn’t rule out playing Ricky Stanzi, a rookie, or taking a look at recently acquired veteran Kyle Orton, if he’s healthy.

:spock:

J Diddy
12-14-2011, 07:26 AM

WTF are you talking about? I don't see how anything he said could be construed as racist. The rooney rule requires us to interview black candidate. By interviewing RC that is out of the way. That isn't racist, that's a fact.

Dexter Manley
12-14-2011, 07:30 AM
WTF are you talking about? I don't see how anything he said could be construed as racist. The rooney rule requires us to interview black candidate. By interviewing RC that is out of the way. That isn't racist, that's a fact.

Racial BS doesn't have to be racist.

It was a smartass comment from a troll who tried to paint the situation that Romeo's opportunity here to lead the Chiefs is just getting by Rooney Rule.

Romeo is the head coach of the Chiefs now.

Period.

There is a game this weekend.

Don't like it?

Apply to be a guest on The Geraldo Show...

KCBOSS1
12-14-2011, 08:03 AM

If you have to point something out like that, you probably missed it. If you're that anal, touchy and presumptious, you're never going to survive on here...... Actually, on second thought, you should fit right end. Never mind, continue....

KCBOSS1
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Um we sucked... If he doesn't shake things up pretty seriously, he's done before he starts trying to become the head coach. If I were him, I would fire Muir immediately immediately and put Zorn in charge. (I did spell Muir right didn't I? Don't want anyone to think this is a racial comment)

LOCOChief
12-14-2011, 08:11 AM

It was a smartass comment from a troll who tried to paint the situation that Romeo's opportunity here to lead the Chiefs is just getting by Rooney Rule.

ESPN and NFL network said the same thing. Sometimes I think people are just a little too sensitive.

J Diddy
12-14-2011, 08:14 AM

Period.

Don't like it?

No that's not what he said. He said Romeo will take care of the Rooney rule. Which it does. Anything you derive from that is your interpretation of an implied meaning. Just because you think he meant something by it doesn't necessarily mean it is so.

As far as the Geraldo reference, what does that have to do with anything? Furthermore, I don't need a newb guarding the borders of Chiefsplanet for me. Especially a delusional one.

I suggest some pepto there Chachi

crazycoffey
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Period.

Don't like it?

Do you realize, two weeks does not rule out your own troll status?

LOCOChief
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't need a newb guarding the borders of Chiefsplanet for me. Especially a delusional one.

I suggest some pepto there Chachi

I'm pretty sure bobbie is a mult

KCBOSS1
12-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I suggest some pepto there Chachi[/quote]

Chachi...... I haven't heard that name in a long time. I can't wait to use it.
LMAO

crazycoffey
12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure bobbie is a mult

nah, it's just dane on his wife's account....

BoneKrusher
12-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Um we sucked... If he doesn't shake things up pretty seriously, he's done before he starts trying to become the head coach.

i agree.

i never thought Haley was Head Coach material but if he had been our QB's would have sent him packing.

it's time to see if Stanzi has It.

Turn the Page Romeo.

htismaqe
12-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Um we sucked... If he doesn't shake things up pretty seriously, he's done before he starts trying to become the head coach. If I were him, I would fire Muir immediately immediately and put Zorn in charge. (I did spell Muir right didn't I? Don't want anyone to think this is a racial comment)

Most interim head coaches DON'T shake things up. That's because they're always hired from within.

There's a reason 90% of them fail.

loochy
12-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Period.

Don't like it?

No, I'm pretty sure that he would be the interem coach no matter what color he is. It's just a convenience that the Rooney Rule thing is out of the way now.

It looks like you have short man syndrome that is applied to race instead of height.

loochy
12-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, we've read that he wants to become the full time head coach. If that is so, of course he won't shake things up. He'll just ask Pioli what he should do.

Dexter Manley
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Do you realize, two weeks does not rule out your own troll status?

Nah, I got booted twice before, so I am not new...

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Failey my bad.

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
ESPN and NFL network said the same thing. Sometimes I think people are just a little too sensitive.

Thank you Sir. Since when has stating facts been considered racist

:banghead:

notorious
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
My worst case scenario is Crennel going 2-1 or beating GB. He might just get the HC job if that happens.

In other words, not only did we lose our HC, but we are going to lose our DC now.

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Wow! Boobie looks like you need to remove your foot from your mouth.

idiot.

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:11 AM
My worst case scenario is Crennel going 2-1 or beating GB. He might just get the HC job if that happens.

In other words, not only did we lose our HC, but we are going to lose our DC now.

Retain Crennel at DC and bring in Mike O'Brien at OC.

notorious
12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Retain Crennel at DC and bring in Mike O'Brien at OC.

Easier said than done. Crennel has his teeth in the HC job now, either he gets the job or he leaves town.

Lose-Lose.

We can turn it into a win if we get a DC that makes very aggressive calls.

Donger
12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm pretty sure Crennel is a Zionist Jew who launched the attack on the USS Liberty.

But, I could be wrong.

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Easier said than done. Crennel has his teeth in the HC job now, either he gets the job or he leaves town.

Lose-Lose.

We can turn it into a win if we get a DC that makes very aggressive calls.

Rob Ryan maybe looking for a job...ya never know.

notorious
12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Rob Ryan maybe looking for a job...ya never know.

Yikes, I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

Ryan has caught a lot of shit because his head coach has went full retard this season.

TEX
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Having Romeo around will kill two birds with one stone.

1.) Taking over for Hailey
2.) Rooney Rule.

Not a bad play.

This

Vick Catcher
12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Yikes, I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

Ryan has caught a lot of shit because his head coach has went full retard this season.

It's the curse of Dallas. Tons of talent but their idiots. Jerruh loves Garrett too much so he would 86 Ryan before getting rid of his golden child.

LOCOChief
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
LMAOI'm pretty sure Crennel is a Zionist Jew who launched the attack on the USS Liberty.

But, I could be wrong.

notorious
12-14-2011, 09:24 AM
It's the curse of Dallas. Tons of talent but their idiots. Jerruh loves Garrett too much so he would 86 Ryan before getting rid of his golden child.

He might grow out of it. If Garrett learned to pound the ball a little more instead of throwing while up by two scores in the 4th he might win a few more games.

Icing your own kicker doesn't help, either.

It's the basics of football, but Garrett must only be on chapter 2 of "Head Coaching for Dumbies".