PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Famous Dave's

MTG#10
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Just found out we have a Famous Dave's in Springfield now. Are they any good? It cant be any worse than Rib Crib, Buckingham, or Whole Hog can it? The only good BBQ Ive found around here is Crosstown and even its not on par with Arthur Bryant's (the BBQ I measure all others against). I'm tired of having to drive all the way to KC for amazing BBQ.

Demonpenz
12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Jazzed up mcribb

CHENZ A!
I thought it was pretty awful the one time that I ate there.

rageeumr
I thought a couple of their sauces were ok. Meat was meh.

gblowfish
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I think they're better than most of the chain BBQ places. They have a variety of sauces, which is nice, but it's kind of like Chili's meets BBQ. Not up to snuff with the most famous KC BBQ places, but not bad if that's all you have in your town.

Brock
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
It's mid-tier. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a couple of indy places in Spfld that were a lot better though.

BourbonMan
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I think they're better than most of the chain BBQ places. They have a variety of sauces, which is nice, but it's kind of like Chili's meets BBQ. Not up to snuff with the most famous KC BBQ places, but not bad if that's all you have in your town.

Agree and the Lunch is better than the Dinner...IMO

Donger
12-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I once ate at one in the middle of Minnesota. Since I fully expected to get food poisoning from it, and did not, I considered it to be a successful meal.

Bwana
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
I hit the one in Billings about once a month, but it's primarily for their great selection of beer. The food is ok.

Molitoth
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Not good imo.

In St. Joe, I'd much rather go to Rib-Crib, Whiskey Creek, or Bandanas.

In Kansas City there are numerous BBQ I'd rather eat.

kc rush
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
They gave out sauce at a Chiefs game a few years ago. It didn't taste much different than ketchup, so I've never bothered to go to the restaurant.

NewChief
12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Whole Hog is much, much better BBQ. Famous Dave's has other stuff that is pretty decent though.

Assuming that you're talking about the Arkansas based Whole Hof that is.

gblowfish
12-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Here's how I describe it on my webpage about KC BBQ:

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

FAMOUS DAVE'S BBQ: Address is 1320 Village West Parkway in KCK just down the street from the Kansas Speedway. I have to admit, I was a little prejudiced about this place going in. How could Dave Anderson, a Native American Guy from Minnesota, know jack about world class BBQ, and then have the stones to open a restaurant in the mother of all BBQ towns and hope to compete? Apparently, Dave sees himself as the BBQ Kung Fu Master, traveling the world to learn the secrets of true BBQ bliss. On his web site he elaborates on his BBQ travels:
"Growing up in Chicago, Dave's passion for ribs began as a young boy when his dad would bring ribs home from work. His dad worked with construction workers,who often returned from their lunch break with the best tasting slow-smoked spare ribs from street corner vendors who used 55 gallon smokers filled with charcoal and smoldering green hickory wood.They were the legendary ribs just like the champion pitmasters used to smoke in the deep South. Striving to make the best barbeque anyone had ever tasted, Dave spent more than 25 years crisscrossing the country trying the best (and worst) barbeque available from every barbeque joint he could find. His trips to these most famous bastions of barbeque were like "pilgrimages" to the most "hallowed shrines" of barbeque! Kansas City is known for some of the greatest Bar-B-Que in the world and as a place where Dave spent a lot of time learning about Bar-B-Que. That's why the Kansas City style of Bar-B-Que played a role in Dave's development of his secret Bar-B-Que recipes."
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. Dave's is kind of a weird kaleidoscope of influences and borrowings from other establishments. The vibe is "Lutherans meet Methodist AME in Fargo for a BBQ Cookout." Dave's restaurant decor reminded me of the old Bodine's BBQ at Bannister Mall. It's a little like Fuddrucker's as the food comes in a basket. It's a little like Chili's because there's eye candy crap all over the walls, there's a 30 minute wait to be seated, you get water soaked mushy corn on the cob with your meal and you're served by a perky 20-something theme uniformed wait staff. The bottom line is the BBQ. It was very good, surprisingly good for a chain restaurant. Here's the pluses and minuses: The brisket was excellent, tender and cut into bite sized rectangular cubes. The beans were hot when served (which is a biggie with me) but the portion was small; only about five spoonfuls. Fries were wedge cut and average, not even close to the quality of Bryant's or LC's. The pork ribs were very good. Meaty, flavorful and not fatty. The worst thing about the ribs is Dave's menu calls them "St. Louis Style" which is a serious slap in the face to any true KC BBQ lover. Everyone knows St. Louis don't know jack Sh*t about BBQ. Need proof? Just sample some Maull's BBQ sauce, the "St. Louis King of BBQ Sauces." It sucks like a Hoover. In fact, it's so bad Maull's makes a "KC Style" BBQ Sauce. Case Closed. One of the things I liked best about Dave's was a sauce sampler pack on the table. There were six different sauces, covering a wide spectrum of BBQ styles. There was a jalapeno "make you sweat hot " tomato based sauce called "Devil's Spit"; a "Texas Pit" sauce which was more like the KC traditional style sauce, a Georgia Mustard sauce, and a couple of sweeter milder sauce blends. It reminded me of going to IHOP and having six different pancake syrups on the table. All the sauces were good, and the Georgia Mustard sauce was interesting. You don't usually see mustard based sauces in KC, but it's the sauce style in the Carolinas and the southeastern states. Beer was too expensive. They charged four bucks a bottle for Leinenkugel (Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, eh?). Dinner for two was right around $40, which is pretty high, right up there with Smokestack and Gates. The wait staff was very good, and you get a "wet nap" to wipe up with after the meal, which comes in handy when sucking on BBQ ribs. All in all, a better than average BBQ experience, but not quite among the city's "Elite" BBQ.

Consistent1
12-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I eat at one here in Illinois every once in awhile. Really not a bad place, and doesn't cost a ton.

burt
12-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Here's how I describe it on my webpage about KC BBQ:

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

FAMOUS DAVE'S BBQ: Address is 1320 Village West Parkway in KCK just down the street from the Kansas Speedway. I have to admit, I was a little prejudiced about this place going in. How could Dave Anderson, a Native American Guy from Minnesota, know jack about world class BBQ, and then have the stones to open a restaurant in the mother of all BBQ towns and hope to compete? Apparently, Dave sees himself as the BBQ Kung Fu Master, traveling the world to learn the secrets of true BBQ bliss. On his web site he elaborates on his BBQ travels:
"Growing up in Chicago, Dave's passion for ribs began as a young boy when his dad would bring ribs home from work. His dad worked with construction workers,who often returned from their lunch break with the best tasting slow-smoked spare ribs from street corner vendors who used 55 gallon smokers filled with charcoal and smoldering green hickory wood.They were the legendary ribs just like the champion pitmasters used to smoke in the deep South. Striving to make the best barbeque anyone had ever tasted, Dave spent more than 25 years crisscrossing the country trying the best (and worst) barbeque available from every barbeque joint he could find. His trips to these most famous bastions of barbeque were like "pilgrimages" to the most "hallowed shrines" of barbeque! Kansas City is known for some of the greatest Bar-B-Que in the world and as a place where Dave spent a lot of time learning about Bar-B-Que. That's why the Kansas City style of Bar-B-Que played a role in Dave's development of his secret Bar-B-Que recipes."
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. Dave's is kind of a weird kaleidoscope of influences and borrowings from other establishments. The vibe is "Lutherans meet Methodist AME in Fargo for a BBQ Cookout." Dave's restaurant decor reminded me of the old Bodine's BBQ at Bannister Mall. It's a little like Fuddrucker's as the food comes in a basket. It's a little like Chili's because there's eye candy crap all over the walls, there's a 30 minute wait to be seated, you get water soaked mushy corn on the cob with your meal and you're served by a perky 20-something theme uniformed wait staff. The bottom line is the BBQ. It was very good, surprisingly good for a chain restaurant. Here's the pluses and minuses: The brisket was excellent, tender and cut into bite sized rectangular cubes. The beans were hot when served (which is a biggie with me) but the portion was small; only about five spoonfuls. Fries were wedge cut and average, not even close to the quality of Bryant's or LC's. The pork ribs were very good. Meaty, flavorful and not fatty. The worst thing about the ribs is Dave's menu calls them "St. Louis Style" which is a serious slap in the face to any true KC BBQ lover. Everyone knows St. Louis don't know jack Sh*t about BBQ. Need proof? Just sample some Maull's BBQ sauce, the "St. Louis King of BBQ Sauces." It sucks like a Hoover. In fact, it's so bad Maull's makes a "KC Style" BBQ Sauce. Case Closed. One of the things I liked best about Dave's was a sauce sampler pack on the table. There were six different sauces, covering a wide spectrum of BBQ styles. There was a jalapeno "make you sweat hot " tomato based sauce called "Devil's Spit"; a "Texas Pit" sauce which was more like the KC traditional style sauce, a Georgia Mustard sauce, and a couple of sweeter milder sauce blends. It reminded me of going to IHOP and having six different pancake syrups on the table. All the sauces were good, and the Georgia Mustard sauce was interesting. You don't usually see mustard based sauces in KC, but it's the sauce style in the Carolinas and the southeastern states. Beer was too expensive. They charged four bucks a bottle for Leinenkugel (Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, eh?). Dinner for two was right around $40, which is pretty high, right up there with Smokestack and Gates. The wait staff was very good, and you get a "wet nap" to wipe up with after the meal, which comes in handy when sucking on BBQ ribs. All in all, a better than average BBQ experience, but not quite among the city's "Elite" BBQ.

Love ya. Good thoughts. Try paragraphs.

memyselfI
12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Sure, they are the Sizzler of BBQ.

Reaper16
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Jesus. No. What is wrong with you?

Mr. Kotter
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Famous Dave's is decent BBQ, as far as the chain stores go. Not great....but better than at least some of the KC joints, including Gates IMHO. Being a chain though, much of it depends on management and ownership. The ones in the upper midwest do pretty well, though. Not an "A," but definitely in the "B+" range on most visits I've had over the years.

St. Louis style ribs, burnt ends, beans, onion rings, were among the things I've enjoyed. And a variety of sauces--some good, some 'eh.

Fishpicker
12-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Their green beans are good. That's about it.

burt
12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
They don't suck.

They are kinda like a Tex Mex chain compaired to a good mexican restaurant.

I'll eat it, but would prefer good mexican.

Bearcat
12-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Jesus. No. What is wrong with you?

This. (LMAO)

Frosty
12-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I went to the one outside of Portland and thought it was awful and overpriced.

Extra Point
12-14-2011, 05:51 PM
It'll eat, but the brisket really is sub-par, at Famous Dave's.

DaFace
12-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Compared to KC stuff, it's nothing to be excited about, but it's good food.

MTG#10
12-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Not good imo.

In St. Joe, I'd much rather go to Rib-Crib, Whiskey Creek, or Bandanas.

In Kansas City there are numerous BBQ I'd rather eat.
Oh God bandanas and rib crib in Springfield are awful. I asked for burnt ends at bandanas and the guy didn't know what I was talking about.

Bump
12-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I went to the one in the legends. Crap compared to the real KC BBQ joints. It's a chain and chains only care about the bottom line.

Predarat
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
It is what is is, decent, but good for a chain BBQ place. Nowhere near real KC BBQ. The Sauce is pretty much canned stuff. Some of the sides are good, Green Beans, Potato Salad, potato chip type fries. Banana Pudding is good but overpriced.

MTG#10
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Whole Hog is much, much better BBQ. Famous Dave's has other stuff that is pretty decent though.

Assuming that you're talking about the Arkansas based Whole Hof that is.
Whole Hog Cafe in Springfield is terrible. I've been there twice and both times my ends were cold and tasted like they were a couple days old.

Bump
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
and these types of places reuse product. So if a brisket doesn't sell that day, they will refrigerate and sell tomorrow.

O.city
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Go try Rib Shack on E. Chestnut expressway. I used to work close to it when i went to school at MSU. It's awesome.

MTG#10
12-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Go try Rib Shack on E. Chestnut expressway. I used to work close to it when i went to school at MSU. It's awesome.
Haven't tried that one yet but will soon. I've also heard good things about Pappy's but haven't had a chance to try them yet either.

Fish
12-14-2011, 06:03 PM
They make this jalapeno bacon, which is truly awesome. But that's about all that has really impressed me about the place.

O.city
12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Haven't tried that one yet but will soon. I've also heard good things about Pappy's but haven't had a chance to try them yet either.

They have a sandwhich that is awesome. The ribs are pretty good too. Can't remember the name of hte sandwhich tho. It has pulled pork and onion rings. It's pretty damn good.

O.city
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM
The sandwhich also has hot links. Forgot about that.

seclark
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
gives me the shits, so it'll work in a pinch.
of course, hindsight is 50/50.
sec

Donger
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Compared to KC stuff, it's nothing to be excited about, but it's good food.

Would you please remind me of the BBQ joint you found in our fair town that is passable?

O.city
12-14-2011, 06:15 PM
In KC?

Not sure if serious?

Baby Lee
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I concur with mid-tier. I enjoyed what I ate, and the meats and sauces were competent, even tasty.

The one thing of substance I'd add is, if you get a salad with your meal make sure to request it on the side. The first time I went there, they plopped the salad in the middle of the plate with the meat and fries surrounding it, making the salad all hot and soggy [I'm a big salad guy, so much so I've day dreamed of steakhouses offering a meal where you get like 2 ounces of steak, 1/2 a baked potato and a huge ass salad instead of the other way around, so that was particularly irking].

MTG#10
12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
In KC?

Not sure if serious?

They live in Denver I believe

Predarat
12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I concur with mid-tier. I enjoyed what I ate, and the meats and sauces were competent, even tasty.

The one thing of substance I'd add is, if you get a salad with your meal make sure to request it on the side. The first time I went there, they plopped the salad in the middle of the plate with the meat and fries surrounding it, making the salad all hot and soggy [I'm a big salad guy, so much so I've day dreamed of steakhouses offering a meal where you get like 2 ounces of steak, 1/2 a baked potato and a huge ass salad instead of the other way around, so that was particularly irking].

I rarely send things back to the kitchen or anything but that might push me over the edge. No seperate plate for the salad? That is unacceptable.

NewChief
12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Whole Hog Cafe in Springfield is terrible. I've been there twice and both times my ends were cold and tasted like they were a couple days old.

Weird that they even have burnt ends. None of the ones around here serve them.

O.city
12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh yeah MTG, I just had Burnt ends at Arthur Bryants for lunch today.

HemiEd
12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
It'll eat, but the brisket really is sub-par, at Famous Dave's.

Must be a big difference in the locations.
Recently we dined at the Addison Illinois location and the brisket was nothing short of amazing.
I like my Q dry, no sauce, so that might be the difference also.
The macaroni dish and green beans were equally as good.

DMAC
12-14-2011, 06:38 PM

St. Georges is fairly ok for Springfield.

I have always found Crosstown to be pretty tasteless.

DaFace
12-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Would you please remind me of the BBQ joint you found in our fair town that is passable?

There was a hole in the wall up in Thornton near me that was pretty good, but it unfortunately closed down. If you ever get downtown, Boney's at 16th and Champa is pretty tasty, but they cater to the business crowd, so you have to during the day or on Saturday for the most part.

Donger
12-14-2011, 07:13 PM
There was a hole in the wall up in Thornton near me that was pretty good, but it unfortunately closed down. If you ever get downtown, Boney's at 16th and Champa is pretty tasty.

Bummer. No, I don't get downtown very often. Mostly south.

WV
12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I love the Devils Spit sauce!

Jenson71
12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
but better than at least some of the KC joints, including Gates IMHO

??