PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Longest Game Ever

Buck
12-19-2011, 05:11 AM
They found the game footage of the Christmas 1971 (I think that was the year) game and they are showing it at 6 Eastern on NFL Network on Christmas.

I know that it wasn't a win, but I'm sure some of you will want to watch it anyway.

redsurfer11
12-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Wow. Ed Podolak 350 total yards. Worth watching for all the Hall of Famers in this game.

spanky 52
12-19-2011, 05:42 AM
That was the day I became addicted to the Chief's. That game had it all. Good memories.

Crush
12-19-2011, 06:11 AM
It was also the beginning of the end.

cdcox
12-19-2011, 06:29 AM
As Garo Yepremian's winning FG sailed through the uprights I uttered the imfamous words, "Oh well, there's always next year." True story.

Goldmember
12-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks Buck...I was a young boy and that game really, really hurt. One of the worst playoff losses in Chiefs history. I was depressed for a week.

KC_Lee
12-19-2011, 07:31 AM

In more ways than one. My father was at that game and apparently it became one of the reasons my parents got divorced.

scho63
12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
They found the game footage of the Christmas 1971 (I think that was the year) game and they are showing it at 6 Eastern on NFL Network on Christmas.

I know that it wasn't a win, but I'm sure some of you will want to watch it anyway.

Only if I want to cry again like a little bitch just as I did the first time I watched it at 8 years old
:deevee:

Buck
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Buck...I was a young boy and that game really, really hurt. One of the worst playoff losses in Chiefs history. I was depressed for a week.

Sorry. At least you got to thicken your skin at a very young age.

P.S. I was 9 when the Chargers lost the Super Bowl. I know how bad it feels.

ChiefsCountry
12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Thats a game that changed the NFL. Chiefs win that and more than likely we win our 2 Super Bowl in 6 years, against Dallas no less. Miami might not go on to perfect season the next year and Dallas might not have became America's Team either.

mlyonsd
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure I can bear to watch that game again. I was 10.

Maybe re-living it will purge the bad spirits that Chief football has been inflicted with the last 40 years.

jd1020
12-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Clearly the "worst day ever."

Dartgod
12-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Thing

whoman69
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Is that a Jan Stenerud quote?

Rain Man
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM
In more ways than one. My father was at that game and apparently it became one of the reasons my parents got divorced.

Did your mother become obsessed with Garo Yepremian?

I saw the game in 1971. Not sure if it's too soon to see it again, but maybe it's time. It'd be nice to my childhood team back in action.

2bikemike
12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
That was the day I became addicted to the Chief's. That game had it all. Good memories.

You and me both. I remember we were living in Calif. I was 10 and my father was in the Air Force and we had flown to KC for the holidays. We watched that game at my aunt and uncles house. It is the first game that I truly remember watching. I don't recall any game prior to that. But I know that we watched a lot of football, mostly Rams living outside of LA.

gblowfish
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I was at that game. It ruined Christmas. It was a crappy day in KC.

whoman69
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
That is one of the earliest Chiefs games I remember watching. I had started watching football the year prior as I remember watching the horrible Super Bowl V.

Buck
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm going to watch it because I've heard you guys talk about how great of a game it was.

I've seen the Miami-San Diego Double OT game plenty of times, but I'm only assuming that they show that game more often because they actually had the whole game footage.

I wonder how this game footage got lost in the first place, and I wonder even more how they found it.

Extra Point
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm going to watch it because I've heard you guys talk about how great of a game it was.

I've seen the Miami-San Diego Double OT game plenty of times, but I'm only assuming that they show that game more often because they actually had the whole game footage.

I wonder how this game footage got lost in the first place, and I wonder even more how they found it.

Because Kellen Winslow dragged his lazy feet, and fucked up the footage.

luv
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Thats a game that changed the NFL. Chiefs win that and more than likely we win our 2 Super Bowl in 6 years, against Dallas no less. Miami might not go on to perfect season the next year and Dallas might not have became America's Team either.

Reading some of these posts out loud to dad. Upon reading this one, he agreed up to the point of Dallas not becoming America's Team. He said they were being called that in the 60's.

58kcfan89
12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Every time I hear about this game, I think about the Willie Lanier quote after the game that I read not too long ago.

"I left everything out there on that field. That was what pro football was about, that was the game at its best."

I can't imagine how awful the end of that game must have been to those of you who were watching, but I'm interested to see the game. Having never seen it (being born about 20 years after the fact), I'm interested to see it, but may have to change the channel right before the ending...

Like I said, I wasn't around, but from everything I've read/heard/seen about the game, it seems like this is true. Seems like after this game, all the responsibilities that Stram put on himself got to him and the team never recovered.

Was actually just reading a book that echoed this. Hard to believe what might have happened (or not happened) to the entire league if just 1 game goes another way.

Damn Dolphins.

58kcfan89
12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Reading some of these posts out loud to dad. Upon reading this one, he agreed up to the point of Dallas not becoming America's Team. He said they were being called that in the 60's.

Maybe they were, but the nickname didn't take off until the NFL Films highlight video in 1978, which proclaimed them "America's Team."

cdcox
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
I think I'm going to watch it to see some of the greats again, but turn it off before the last drive of the Dolphins.