PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notebook: Crennel gets Hali’s vote

Tribal Warfare
12-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Chiefs notebook: Crennel gets Hali’s vote (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/21/3332565/chiefs-notebook-crennel-gets-halis.html)

Hali supports Crennel

Outside linebacker Tamba Hali threw his support behind interim head coach Romeo Crennel’s candidacy for the job on a permanent basis.

“He’s very motivating,” Hali said. “He treats us like men. He does expect a lot from us, but he knows what it takes to work this business, and how the body feels, and we’re people, too. We love Romeo. He’s one of those coaches who has been a coach in this league. He has five Super Bowl (championships). With that type of resume, you want someone around who can help us get to the top.

“I think anybody on this team would agree with me, if we can keep Romeo as our head coach here, it would be great. We love what he does, and his game plan. As you can see what happened (against Green Bay), he was able to control the clock along with our quarterback. That’s something we haven’t been able to do for a long time, control the clock. That will win you games.”

Dorsey for PETA

Defensive end Glenn Dorsey has taped some public-service announcements for PETA — People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals — that will appear on television and in print.

“The message is to keep your pets safe during the winter,” said Dorsey, who did the photo shoot at his home. “Don’t leave them outside. Real simple.”

Dorsey has an 11-month-old English male bulldog named Bugsy.

Succop honored

Kicker Ryan Succop was selected the AFC’s special teams player of the week for his performance in the Chiefs’ 19-14 upset of Green Bay. Succop made all four of his field-goal attempts and extended his streak of successful field-goal tries to 21 straight, one shy of the franchise record set by Pete Stoyanovich in 1997-98.

“The best part about it was (the victory) kept us in the race,” said Succop, who owns the NFL’s longest active streak for consecutive field goals made. “It’s a nice award. I’m very honored, but when you think about it, it’s more of a team award. It was the fact we beat Green Bay more than we made four field goals.

“I don’t think about all the records … I just focus on the next kick. Hopefully I can make the next one, and if I’m able to do that, we’ll kick the next one after that. If you start thinking about going after records, it’s easy to lose focus.”

Injury report

Safety Jon McGraw (ankle) and center Casey Wiegmann (lower leg) were limited in practice on Wednesday. McGraw did not play last week against Green Bay. Wiegmann has started 173 consecutive games dating to 2001, the longest active streak by an offensive lineman in the NFL. He has participated in 11,036 snaps in that span.

Oakland listed 16 players on its injury report. Among those who did not practice on Wednesday were running back Darren McFadden (foot), wide receivers Jacoby Ford (foot) and Louis Murphy (groin), defensive tackle John Henderson (knee) and safety Michael Huff (hamstring). Starting running back Michael Bush (shoulder) and backup Taiwan Jones (hamstring) were listed as limited.

Dante84
12-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Looks like the Raiders are banged up.

Also - Seems like Hali called out Cassel too.

Bump
12-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Also - Seems like Hali called out Cassel too.

it almost brings a tear to your eye, I love that man.

12-22-2011, 01:33 AM
God I love this...
“I think anybody on this team would agree with me, if we can keep Romeo as our head coach here, it would be great. We love what he does, and his game plan. As you can see what happened (against Green Bay), he was able to control the clock along with our quarterback. That’s something we haven’t been able to do for a long time, control the clock. That will win you games.”

Hammock Parties
12-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Tamba Hali is a true fan.

BigMeatballDave
12-22-2011, 01:47 AM
PETA? Cut Dorsey...

Chris Meck
12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
To have long term success, you have to have consistency. I think it was time for Haley to go too, but you don't want to have to start completely over again-you waste years of your keystone players' careers.
Romeo makes sense. Stay with the 3-4 now that you've got almost all the pieces in place. Get a QBOTF, keep Orton, hire a good young OC from the same system tree and go to work.

threebag
12-22-2011, 02:00 AM
To have long term success, you have to have consistency. I think it was time for Haley to go too, but you don't want to have to start completely over again-you waste years of your keystone players' careers.
Romeo makes sense. Stay with the 3-4 now that you've got almost all the pieces in place. Get a QBOTF, keep Orton, hire a good young OC from the same system tree as long as its not McDaniels. Remove Cassel from team and go to work.

MMXcalibur
12-22-2011, 02:26 AM
((Crennel + Orton - (Cassel + Haley)) * x)^Defense = Super Bowl

Find x.

rad
12-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I'd like to hear what some of the Offensive players think about RAC

YayMike
12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Good to see that Romeo has the players support, but imagine if we had a REALLY good QB instead of a really average QB to control the clock and you know...score touchdowns instead of FGs.

Baby Lee
12-22-2011, 06:50 AM

Find x.

x= SB^(1/D)/(Cr+Or-Ca-Ha)

Dexter Manley
12-22-2011, 07:07 AM
It is really difficult to underestimate the importance of winning the locker room.

Lonewolf Ed
12-22-2011, 07:16 AM
PETA? Cut Dorsey...

Now, now... he didn't say not to eat your pet, just bring them inside this time of year!

Dartgod
12-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Find x.

There it is!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AIIJNzdmnCg/SRt2csyAHUI/AAAAAAAAAAM/1X4NUU2DcBc/s320/findX.gif

The Iron Chief
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM

The great thing about all these interviews post Haley are there leaves No Doubt that the locker room feeling was worse than anybody could've guessed.

The day after the Haley firing there was one or two that made an attempt to not kick him in the a$$ on the way out but two days later and now a week later its all too obvious.
There are No supportive quotes for Haley at this point no good luck to you comments.

Now the players see no reason to protect a coach they had no more respect for or support a QB that they know is not the one.

The first nice pass that Orton threw to Breaston you could see it in Breastons face..a pass a real pass.
The players know its going to take some nudging and tact to get Pioli to understand Cassel is a BU QB.
I believe there will be many more comments that appear to be throwing Cassel under the bus to come in the weeks ahead.

Crennel - Fans - Player comments - Orton > Piolis Gay marriage to Cassel

Sofa King
12-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Find x.

X is a new drafted 1st round QBOTF, wins, a new OC, D line help, new safety, a dangerous kick/punt returner, healthy ACL injury players, free money for me, and two hookers without the clap.

ReynardMuldrake
12-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Now, now... he didn't say not to eat your pet, just bring them inside this time of year!

I agree with his message, but PETA is a terrible choice of charity. They are more interested in publicity than actually helping animals and themselves kill more pets than most shelters do. PETA is all image, no substance. There are much worthier charities out there IMO, ex. the Humane Society.

KCUnited
12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
No surprise, everyone loves the senior citizen substitute teacher.

Lonewolf Ed
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I agree with his message, but PETA is a terrible choice of charity. They are more interested in publicity than actually helping animals and themselves kill more pets than most shelters do. PETA is all image, no substance. There are much worthier charities out there IMO, ex. the Humane Society.

I agree that PETA is a fraud and full of whacked out weirdos, and I'd never give them a penny!

htismaqe
12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
There are No supportive quotes for Haley at this point no good luck to you comments.

Why would there be? He's no longer part of the team and football is the ultimate "focus on today" sport.

WhiteWhale
12-22-2011, 09:39 AM
[SIZE="5"]

“He’s very motivating,” Hali said. “[b]He treats us like men. He does expect a lot from us, but he knows what it takes to work this business, and how the body feels, and we’re people, too. We love Romeo. He’s one of those coaches who has been a coach in this league. He has five Super Bowl (championships). With that type of resume, you want someone around who can help us get to the top.

This is what the players said about Herm, and the end result was a poorly conditioned team that faded in the 2nd half of every game we played in for 2 full seasons.

trndobrd
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

OK as long as he is not doing one of those ads where the spokespersons are nude. Glenn Dorsey nude is something I can do without seeing.

TheGuardian
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
My man crush on Hali grows.

Hali never says shit like this. So if he's supporting Romeo, then that's good enough for me.

Don't really give a flying fuck what CP says. Remember this board was filled with people who said Hali would never cut it as an outside linebacker and that Glen Dorsey was a bust.

Anyone who supports hiring Cowher or Jeff Fischer needs to go kill themselves in an aids tree fire.

Dexter Manley
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
This is what the players said about Herm, and the end result was a poorly conditioned team that faded in the 2nd half of every game we played in for 2 full seasons.

It is a fascinating balance, the disciplinarian "over doing it" on one side, as Tom Coughlin sometimes is accused, and the Bud Grant style, where the players are trusted more and love the coach as a result, but don't expect a robust effort in the first few preseason games...

Chiefaholic
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Wouldn't want freezer burn

ModSocks
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I hope Dorsey didn't do one of those naked PETA Photo shoots....eeeek

gblowfish
12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Just a note of caution: When the players pick the coach it doesn't always work out. Check the 1986 Chiefs asking for the ouster of John Mackovic and the promotion of Frank Gansz to Head Coach. Mackovic took the team to the playoffs and his reward was to get whacked.

The Franchise
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I've stated in other threads that I can deal with Romeo being our HC.....IF:

1. He hires a capable OC to run the offense.....not McDaniels.
2. He hires a young DC to learn from him.
3. He drafts a QB in the 1st round.
4. He cuts Cassel.

philfree
12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
I've stated in other threads that I can deal with Romeo being our HC.....IF:

1. He hires a capable OC to run the offense.....not McDaniels.
2. He hires a young DC to learn from him.
3. He drafts a QB in the 1st round.
4. He cuts Cassel.

Except #2 isn't that the criteria for any HC we hire?

Marcellus
12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Just a note of caution: When the players pick the coach it doesn't always work out. Check the 1986 Chiefs asking for the ouster of John Mackovic and the promotion of Frank Gansz to Head Coach. Mackovic took the team to the playoffs and his reward was to get whacked.

One of the worst supervisors I ever had work for me had the undying support and love of his employees. Mainly because he coddled them and did nothing to push them in any way and took the blame for all of their mistakes and lack of effort.

I have had 2 scenarios where an under performing but loved supervisor was replaced and the teams they supervised got much, much better.

I understand that you wont get people to perform well for people they cant stand and disrespects them (the Haley/ Pioli relationship is dripping with irony in this).

But don't read too much into undying love either.

Sofa King
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Except #2 isn't that the criteria for any HC we hire?

So are the other 3.

O.city
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
If the players love and support him this much, and continue to play hard and work hard, I don't really see how he gets the axe.

If that occurs and he could bring in a really good OC, which witht he weapons we will have shouldn't be hard to gain some attention, and a young up and coming DC, I would be quite fine with Romeo as HC.

Oh Snap
12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
My man crush on Hali grows.

Hali never says shit like this. So if he's supporting Romeo, then that's good enough for me.

Don't really give a flying **** what CP says. Remember this board was filled with people who said Hali would never cut it as an outside linebacker and that Glen Dorsey was a bust.

Anyone who supports hiring Cowher or Jeff Fischer needs to go kill themselves in an aids tree fire.

Not only that, but the infatuation with relegating Orton to second string and bringing in a ROOKIE to start!

Ive said it before, Orton is a good QB, no he is not Tom Brady, but he is a top 10 QB in this league. he has an above average arm, good accuracy, he can read defenses well, and he has good leadership qualities that you look for in a QB.

The game against the packers shouldn't have even been that close. We were inside the 5 yard line 4 times! Those could have , and should have resulted in TDs. If we had a charles, this offense would be top 10 offense, hell maybe even a top 5.

Last sunday was the first time that I actually felt good about this offense in a long time. Yea yea, one game, I get that. But we haven't seen that type of production from this offense all year. A QB who threw for 300 yards has yet to happen this year, and cassel only managed that twice last year. Orton did it almost effortlessly. Give him and this offense an entire off-season, draft OL and become active in the FA market, and we could have a legit offense next year with the return of Charles and Moeaki.

Im in the Orton crew!

bricks
12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
If the players love and support him this much, and continue to play hard and work hard, I don't really see how he gets the axe.

If that occurs and he could bring in a really good OC, which witht he weapons we will have shouldn't be hard to gain some attention, and a young up and coming DC, I would be quite fine with Romeo as HC.

You're absolutely right.

If the players love him and continue to play hard for him, then there shouldn't be a problem. Im looking at it from that perspective as well.