PDA

View Full Version : Life Because I think there are some reasonable folks here...

Discuss Thrower
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
So the morning before the Packers game, as Discuss Dad and myself are lined up in traffic coming into Arrowhead, my father looks to me and says.

"Son I'm thinking about giving up our tickets, and never coming back entirely or only using our "company's" (read Aunt and Uncle's) seats on the opposite side of the field and several rows back.

The backstory behind this is that Discuss Dad and I have been going to the games since the early 90s. It was Mom's idea really, for some odd reason she wanted to go to Chiefs games despite being a Louisville / San Antonio expat and so they got tickets. My first games I attended where me asleep on her lap as a toddler. My folks split up but Dad and I kept going to the games becoming a fall tradition of a hotel residing on Saturdays and being loud and obnoxious on Sundays. Further backstory I was kind of a little biatch of a kid growing up and I never liked being with Discuss Dad for one reason or another in spite of being the best father one could ever ask for. But that didn't extend to being Chiefs fans though. That was a constant; excluding going to compulsory Mass as a protestant at a Catholic school I've spent more hours inside Arrowhead than in a church -something I feel like isn't common among others. As much as it doesn't feel right for a reasonably grounded individual to say it knowing things, being a fan of the Red and Yellow has been -still is- a major part of my life and the position where I reside as a person.

Yet these last few years Discuss Dad has been resistant to going to games. He's part of the cadre much maligned on this BB -a Season Ticket Holder. The one enabling the crack habit money grubbing of the Hunt family in purchasing field side tickets in the lower bowl (not too far from gblowfish's seats) and paying the criminal price to pay for 3 hours of parking. He complains about anything on the periphery of the games: the so called "parking lot nazis" just trying to do their job, people taking too long at the parking lot gates, the fact he can't cut behind a beer vendor walking to our seats (not that I'm defending the guy, he's being asinine about that one) to the price of drinks in the Founder's Club.

End result is he seems to have made himself miserable about the whole thing, and he definitely isn't excited to be there at the games anymore. Which I think is a shame but I'm not him. But from my perspective I'd rather keep going to the games and continue plopping my out of shape ass in the same location it has been since the mid 1990s. Not because of the location, but because of who we sit by. There's part of a family in front of us; I used to torture the lady in question by kicking the back of her chair when I was still in the "little shit" stage of my life and another family in the same row. Both families were invited to Discuss Dad's wedding two years ago -they're family friends at this point. They're what makes "the experience" for us. If it were purely about watching the game then I'd just as soon stay home.

But I don't want to stay home as long as those people are sitting there with us. At the same time I'm nowhere near able to drop the coin necessary for those seats and I probably won't for the near-to-intermediate future. So, for all of you tl;dr assholes, should I try and convince my Dad not give up the tickets because of how I value the seats or just STFU and go along with his decision because he who hath the gold make the law?

This is a serious thread, so no discus.

The Franchise
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Can't you drop one of the tickets and afford it?

Or just keep the tickets, pay for your half and sell the other ticket?

Phobia
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Just post a short poll with some short answers. I'd need 80 mg of Ritalin to make it through that post.

HemiEd
12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I take it you are not from the hood?

Mr. Laz
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Because I think there are some reasonable folks here...:LOL::LOL:

Okie_Apparition
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I HAVE A PENIS

cdcox
12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd let them go. Wouldn't twist my dad's arm to do something he clearly didn't enjoy. If they are important enough to you, maybe you can make sacrifices to keep one ticket.

If you do give them up, do us all a favor and send a letter the the Chiefs saying it was because they won't draft a franchise QB in the first round. Serious about this.

4th and Long
12-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Just post a short poll with some short answers. I'd need 80 mg of Ritalin to make it through that post.

Ritalin only comes in 5mg, 10mg and 20mg strengths. You must have a RAGING case of A.D.D.
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Ritalin only comes in 5mg, 10mg and 20mg strengths. You must have a RAGING case of A.D.D.
Posted via Mobile Device

What?

Fumblerooski
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd let them go. Wouldn't twist my dad's arm to do something he clearly didn't enjoy. If they are important enough to you, maybe you can make sacrifices to keep one ticket.

If you do give them up, do us all a favor and contact fumblerooskie as he'd be interested in transferring the seats to his name, and then if you and your dad wanted to still go to a game or two per year, you could just buy those games back from him.

FYP

Deberg_1990
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Can someone introduce me to the reasonable folks here?

Ming the Merciless
12-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Can someone introduce me to the reasonable folks here?

good day sir, nice to meet you.

http://www.kindofcreepy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/crazyguy.jpg

Ming the Merciless
12-22-2011, 08:34 PM
you could tell your dad that same story....The chiefs always brought my father and I together as well....Even if we hadn't spoken in a while due to stupid shit or just being busy, a good season or good football, bad football, change , draft...etc... would always bring one of us to call the other.

Maybe you could tell him that it is important and you want to try and kick in some money if you can?