PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone ever live in Dubai?

1ChiefsDan
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I have an oportunity for a position in Dubai. It would most likely be a 2-3 year conract. My wife and kids would stay in the US.

Anyone have any experience with Dubai? What should I require salary wise? I have been doing some research and it appears it is common for them to include housing, maid service, travel, etc. with ex-pat offers. Government provides healthcare with all jobs.

Cost of living is pretty high, but if I can get the salary I am asking for and all the other benifets above, it would be pretty sweet. Especially if travel is part of the deal so I could come home every few months to see the family.

seclark
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
son's been stationed there 3 times. said it was a lot better than most places in that area. sent me a cool harley t-shirt.
that's all i got.
sec

ILChief
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't leave my wife and kids and live in Dubai for any amount of money, but that's just me. That's just me though and it has nothing to do with Dubai.

kc rush
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I know someone who is there now. I can try to get you in contact if you would like.

Frazod
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
One of my best friends is taking a teaching position there, but he doesn't start until February.

The Franchise
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't leave my wife and kids and live in Dubai for any amount of money, but that's just me. That's just me though and it has nothing to do with Dubai.

He didn't ask you what you would do. He asked if anyone had lived there.

Dartgod
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
One of my best friends is taking a teaching position there, but he doesn't start until February.

My wife's niece is a teacher over there. That's all I have to add. :shrug:

ILChief
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
He didn't ask you what you would do. He asked if anyone had lived there.

thanks

MIAdragon
12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Ive been there a few times, not one of my fav places.

Reerun_KC
12-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I work with alot/shit ton of people in that area on a daily basis.

Will be going to Dubai in the spring for a week or two on business.

I hear its a fantastic awesome place, but really hot.

WV
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
My Aunt works for the Army Corp of Engineers and doesn't mind going to Dubai. It is interesting with being in a position of authority being a women over there though.

NewChief
12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
It's pretty much all that's wrong with the world, but it's supposedly very nice (in large part thanks to the imported slave labor).

Buehler445
12-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I work with alot/shit ton of people in that area on a daily basis.

Will be going to Dubai in the spring for a week or two on business.

I hear its a fantastic awesome place, but really hot.

Hopefully you can stay awake for the trip. :D

Reerun_KC
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Hopefully you can stay awake for the trip. :D
Jerk...

Its a 27 hour transit time.

R8RFAN
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
You better have a helluva stable marriage.. No way I could leave my family...

Good Luck

Bowser
12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
It's pretty much all that's wrong with the world, but it's supposedly very nice (in large part thanks to the imported slave labor).

GO HUG A TREE, HIPPIE!!!1

All I know of Dubai is that it's super rich, super nice, and super expensive. Oh, and that they pay Tiger Woods fucktons of cash to come play in their tournament. I assume this position you're offered will pay YOU fucktons of cash?

Buehler445
12-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Jerk...

Its a 27 hour transit time.
LMAO

Sorry dude. I took my asshole pills today...

boogblaster
12-23-2011, 01:16 PM
do ya like female camels ....

Fritz88
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Read your contract carefully.

1ChiefsDan
12-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I will read the contract carefully (and have it reviewed before signing - have a couple attorneys in the family). I have been researching and know it has a high cost of living, but hope to have that mitigated some with the employment contract. Leaving my family would be the toughest part, but would make sure that travel is part of the deal - either me coming home or them visiting. My wife does payroll for US expats (for a US company) and says 10 weeks on 2 weeks off is pretty standard.

BWillie
12-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Love how if you further your career by doing something ballsy like this you are looked at as why on earth are you leaving your family, but if you are in the military it's all fine and gravy. OP may very well be in the military, but a strong family and video chat should help you get through

1ChiefsDan
12-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Love how if you further your career by doing something ballsy like this you are looked at as why on earth are you leaving your family, but if you are in the military it's all fine and gravy.I had this same discussion with one of my daughters tonight. Kind of sweet that at 14 and freshman in HS that she is still upset that I may not be here to hug all the time (her concern).

Guess I am doing something right.

JD10367
12-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Looks like a cool place to climb a tall building. /EthanHunt

listopencil
12-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I had this same discussion with one of my daughters tonight. Kind of sweet that at 14 and freshman in HS that she is still upset that I may not be here to hug all the time (her concern).

Guess I am doing something right.

Oh man. You have a 14 year old daughter and you are thinking of leaving for 2-3 years? If you do that you'll miss some incredible time that you just can't get back.

Buck
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
You might find some info/pics here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dubai/

Rain Man
12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I just went out and checked the mailbox. I do not live in Dubai.

dmahurin
12-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Never lived there but visited quite a few times when I was in the military. It's very nice. You can go skiing in the mall. Not sure about living expenses, but food and souvenir items were reasonable compared to other middle east countries I visited. I enjoyed visiting but not sure if I would want to live there. It has the typical foot and cheetoh smell of most of the middle east I visited. Cats are everywhere.

hometeam
12-23-2011, 10:13 PM
My ex used to go there with her family every so often. I hear its ballin.

hometeam
12-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Besides, if you dont take the chance to do it, wtf are you living for?

teedubya
12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
I watched a show on Discover last night, that said that Dubai is the least green city in the whole world... everything is built around driving cars as much as possible, as they want people to buy a lot of gas. lol.

It looked like a shitty place to live, IMO.

Buck
12-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I watched a show on Discover last night, that said that Dubai is the least green city in the whole world... everything is built around driving cars as much as possible, as they want people to buy a lot of gas. lol.

It looked like a shitty place to live, IMO.

They don't have sewage lines either. I guess trucks come and suck the shit out of a septic tank and drive it off to dump it somewhere.

teedubya
12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
And it's 120 degrees most of the time, unless you are in the shade... where it's 103.

teedubya
12-23-2011, 10:20 PM
They don't have sewage lines either. I guess trucks come and suck the shit out of a septic tank and drive it off to dump it somewhere.

Nasty... they didn't mention that selling point on the show.

Earth 2050 - Future Energy was teh show...

Buck
12-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Nasty... they didn't mention that selling point on the show.

Earth 2050 - Future Energy was teh show...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ImELRjszEyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AustinChief
12-23-2011, 10:37 PM

They actually do have sewage lines but they have grown so rapidly that the lines couldn't have kept up. As a TEMPORARY solution, each building instead builds septic tanks so that they don't have to wait on the rest of the city infrastructure to catch up. It's actually not a terrible idea to solve the problem instead of watching growth stagnate.

FAR from perfect, but it isn't like crap is piling up in the streets.

I certainly wouldn't take the position unless the pay was REALLY REALLY going to make up for the massive headaches of living that far from family... and as "cosmopolitan" as it has become, it is still the middle east, so be prepared for that aspect of things.

hometeam
12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Found this guy with a whole slew of vids in the related.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shacar7at7

All about living in Dubai

wazu
12-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Besides, if you dont take the chance to do it, wtf are you living for?

Family, maybe?

hometeam
12-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Family, maybe?

Yea I just kind of skimmed the post, missed that he had family.

So there is that consideration.

Caseyguyrr
12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
looks like a badass place from google maps but sadly i havent and probably wont ever have the chance to see it in person