PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ryan Mallet?

jcroft
12-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm not advocating this approach (at this point) because I don't really know much about Mallet, but I'm curious what people here think of him. It seems pretty unlikely that we'll get one of the top couple QB prospects in the 2012 draft at this point, and I know most folks here (like myself) would prefer a young QB to a retread.

* What kind of QB is Mallet (I don't really follow college FB)? Would he work with a Norv, Muir, Zorn, or McDaniels system (because I think, realistically, these are our OC candidates)?

* What would he cost us? He was a high third round pick last year, as I recall. Is his value still similar to that?

* How would he compare to a Tannehill or other QBs we could realistically draft in 2012?

* How does he compare to what's already on our roster (Stanzi)?

At this point, I'm on board with a plan that includes hiring Romeo and one of the above OCs, signing Orton to a one or two year contract, and getting a young guy we believe in lined up behind him. Is Mallet someone we should be looking at to be that guy?

I ask because I sincerely don't know.

notorious
12-25-2011, 06:48 PM
No.

milkman
12-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I think as we move forward in the NFL, the only way to defend the passing game that has so many rules advantages is to get after the passer.

With that in mind, I think the best QBs will be the ones who understand the importance of the pocket, but also have the ability to escape pressure when necessary.

Ryan Mallet is a statue.

So, no.

chefsos
12-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I always thought that NE drafted Mallett with the intention of grooming him to be Brady's replacement. If they were to trade him because they don't see him as the guy, why would we think he is?

notorious
12-25-2011, 06:54 PM
He reminds me of Derek Anderson with a powdered nose.

Bob Dole
12-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Ryan Mallet is a statue.

His footwork improved significantly his last year at Arkansas, but yeah...he's still not very mobile. He's also an idiot. New England was the best place for him to go in the draft, because they aren't going to put up with his antics.

(And perhaps they've finally drilled it into his head that he's a white kid from Texarkana...not a black kid from Detroit.)

splatbass
12-25-2011, 06:55 PM
If you want an objective answer to your questions this isn't the place. If you want anyone other than Luck, RGIII, or as a last resort Tannehill all you will get is criticism. You'll also likely be told that you want mediocrity.

milkman
12-25-2011, 06:58 PM
If you want an objective answer to your questions this isn't the place. If you want anyone other than Luck, RGIII, or as a last resort Tannehill all you will get is criticism. You'll also likely be told that you want mediocrity.

The primary reason for that is the fact that we've tried to do it this way over and over, and over, and over, and over, and.......

Well, you get the picture.

One of these days, this might actually work.

But the fact remains, your best chance to find the right guy is in the draft, not by trading for or signing someone else's castoffs.

jcroft
12-25-2011, 07:03 PM

I've been here since 2001. I know what this place is like.

But, so far, I've gotten great answers, and you all have pretty much explained to me why this is a bad idea. So, I got exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, y'all!

notorious
12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
He has an amazing ability to throw interceptions during a "clutch" moment. LMAO

jcroft
12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
The primary reason for that is the fact that we've tried to do it this way over and over, and over, and over, and over, and.......

But the fact remains, your best chance to find the right guy is in the draft, not by trading for or signing someone else's castoffs.

For the record, I would LOVE to get Luck or RGIII, I just don't see it as a realistic possibility. Whle we're at it, I'd love to get Cowher or Gruden, too, but I just prefer to talk about what we realistically can do, given our front office, rather than pipe dreams that will never happen.

So yeah, totally agree that the best chance to find the right guy is in the draft. But at this point, I just don't see us realistically taking a first-round QB this year. I hope I'm wrong.

splatbass
12-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Because that worked so well with Steve Fuller, Todd Blackledge, and Pete Beathard?

The best offenses we have had in Chiefs history were with castoff QBs. Dawson (two SBs, 3 AFL Championships), Montana (took us to the AFC Championship) and Green (#2 offense behind Manning's Colts). The biggest failures? First round draft picks.

notorious
12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Because that worked so well with Steve Fuller, Todd Blackledge, and Pete Beathard?

The best offenses we have had in Chiefs history were with castoff QBs. Dawson (two SBs, 3 AFL Championships), Montana (took us to the AFC Championship) and Green (#2 offense behind Manning's Colts). The biggest failures? First round draft picks.

Sigh.

Time for someone to dig up the "1st Round Superbowl Winning QB" stats again.

jcroft
12-25-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm too young to speak for the Dawson years, but as good as the offenses were under Montana and Green, there was always a sinking feeling of "oh shit, we better win now, our window is closing" with those guys. I think people just want to feel like we could build something that will last.

I do think the best chance to get your guy through the draft, but if there's a young guy (like a Mallet) being unused in the league who fits what you're looking for (sounds like Mallet doesn't), then that could work for me, too. I just want to find someone young who could be our guy for many years, and I don't see us getting him in this year's draft (at least not in the first round).

Bugeater
12-25-2011, 07:19 PM
OH JESUS FUCK NO WHY DO YOU WANT MEDIOCRITY

splatbass
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
OH JESUS **** NO WHY DO YOU WANT MEDIOCRITY

:D And there you go. :thumb:

TimeForWasp
12-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm starting to think we should draft a stud OT if we can't get a top Qb in the first round. Move Albert to the other side or to guard. Try to move up and get a QB in the second round. Would also be nice to get a power back in the third or a NT.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm starting to think we should draft a stud OT if we can't get a top Qb in the first round. Move Albert to the other side or to guard. Try to move up and get a QB in the second round. Would also be nice to get a power back in the third or a NT.

I'm starting to think we're screwed for at least a couple years unless a miracle happens.

jlscorpio
12-25-2011, 07:55 PM
as an avid Ark fan who saw 90% of Mallett's games in college...no. The best he'll ever be is Bledsoe 2.0. Now the guy that replaced him at Ark this year...Tyler Wilson...that's a different story. If we don't draft a QB this year, he should be going right behind Barkley in next year's draft.

milkman
12-25-2011, 07:57 PM

The fact that it worked one time, with the only franchise QB that was young enough to build around in an era when there were far fewer starting positions available that there are today doesn't mean it will work today.

You can say that it worked with Montana, if the SB isn't your goal.

Trent Green was a product of one of the best O-Lines ever and Priest Holmes, but I never had faith in him if we needed a play against a playoff calibre defense, anad in fact thought "Shades of Trent Green" when Orton threw that pick in the end zone yesterday.

From where I sit, Dawson is the only one that actually worked.

Dante84
12-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Mallet's ceiling is Joe Flacco.

Dante84
12-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Mallet's ceiling is Joe Flacco.

So, no.

jjchieffan
12-25-2011, 08:32 PM

I would have been happy with San Diego's castoff(Brees) or Atlanta's castoff(Schaub) It's not like all quarterbacks from other teams are destined to fail. As much as I want to see KC draft and develop their own quarterback, I'm not against picking up another teams young QB. I'm not saying Mallet is the right guy, but just because a guy has been on another team doesn't mean he can't be our guy.

splatbass
12-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I would have been happy with San Diego's castoff(Brees) or Atlanta's castoff(Schaub) It's not like all quarterbacks from other teams are destined to fail. As much as I want to see KC draft and develop their own quarterback, I'm not against picking up another teams young QB. I'm not saying Mallet is the right guy, but just because a guy has been on another team doesn't mean he can't be our guy.

Bret Favre was also an Atlanta castoff. Sometimes you can get a SB quality QB from another team.

FloridaMan88
12-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Bret Favre was also an Atlanta castoff. Sometimes you can get a SB quality QB from another team.

Based on history, especially recent history the chances are better than you'll find a franchise-caliber QB in the first round of the draft than trading for another team's back-up QB who has shown flashes of potential.

Dante84
12-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Shit. If I am looking for a QB to replicate, I'm looking for someone in the model of Rodgers.

As previously stated, the future QB has to be able to move to succeed. Pocket presence and escapability are more important than ever before. Not stupid, like Thigpen, but awesome, like Rodgers.

So if you guys can find that, please tell Pioli for me.

milkman
12-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Not saying it never works.

However, While Schaub has been good, this is the first season his team has made it to the playoffs after how many years?

We really still don't know what Schaub is.

Is he going to be a guy that performs in the pressure of the playoffs?

Brees is clearly the one that you can point to recently, and I'll give you Farve as a recent one as well.

But the chances are still far better in the draft than they are with another team's backup.

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2011, 09:07 PM
How the draft is shaping up, I am hoping St. Louis gets Andrew Luck and we can get Bradford from the Rams.

jjchieffan
12-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Not saying it never works.

However, While Schaub has been good, this is the first season his team has made it to the playoffs after how many years?

We really still don't know what Schaub is.

Is he going to be a guy that performs in the pressure of the playoffs?

Brees is clearly the one that you can point to recently, and I'll give you Farve as a recent one as well.

But the chances are still far better in the draft than they are with another team's backup.

I'm not arguing that the chances aren't better, but if we can't get Luck or RGIII, then what other option do we have? Palko and Cassel have got to go. I hope like hell that Stanzi is our Manzi, but we still need a veteran QB. Orton( a castoff himself) is a possiblity as a stopgap, if we re-sign him. But that's not even guaranteed. Hell, I don't know if there is a suitable backup that will be available, but given our options if we can't get Luck or RGIII, someone elses castoff may be our best option next

Rams Fan
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
How the draft is shaping up, I am hoping St. Louis gets Andrew Luck and we can get Bradford from the Rams.

Fuck that.

Titty Meat
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
OH JESUS **** NO WHY DO YOU WANT MEDIOCRITY

WUTS EVERYONES TAKE ON SIGNING ZAC LEE?

MoreLemonPledge
12-25-2011, 09:58 PM
HEY TODD REESING IS JUST SELLING INSURANCE NOW REMEMBER THE ORANGE BOWL LETS GET HIM

ChiefsCountry
12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
**** that.

What would be wrong with that. You would be getting our first round pick out of that.

Dave Lane
12-25-2011, 10:58 PM
He has an amazing ability to throw interceptions during a "clutch" moment. LMAO

So he's clutch.

Thig Lyfe
12-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Trade Cassel for Mallet straight up.

RealSNR
12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Rs26L.jpg

chiefmeteorologist
12-26-2011, 05:09 AM
as an avid Ark fan who saw 90% of Mallett's games in college...no. The best he'll ever be is Bledsoe 2.0. Now the guy that replaced him at Ark this year...Tyler Wilson...that's a different story. If we don't draft a QB this year, he should be going right behind Barkley in next year's draft.

As another Razorback fan I agree with you on this. If the Chiefs have a chance at Tyler Wilson next year it would be a great pickup. Mallett has a cannon of an arm...but he did get himself into trouble during pressure situations (throwing questionable passes in crunch time). With that said, I still think he could be a solid starter in the NFL.

Now Tyler Wilson...he is mobile, great arm, (better than Mallett between the ears) and he put up some great numbers this year at ARK with a horrible OLine. He got hammered repeatability this year.

I would take Mallett, but would rather have Wilson next year if given the option.

Dexter Manley
12-26-2011, 06:08 AM
WUTS EVERYONES TAKE ON SIGNING ZAC LEE?

He's one TOUGH QB!!!!!!!!!

Dexter Manley
12-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Trade Cassel for Mallet straight up.

Bill B laughs loudly...

"How about Cassel and your First for Mallett?"

LOL!!!

Bob Dole
12-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Unfortunately (for your hopes), Chiefs fans do not run the Rams organization, so they aren't going to give up on their drafted QB this quickly just to draft another one.

NaptownChief
12-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I thought Mallet threw the best looking ball in last years draft. This might have already been mentioned but the reason he fell so far in the draft is due to off the field issues. I was told by an industry insider that the rumors of drugs wasn't just rumors. Very talented kid but clearly not very smart if he was screwing around with drugs in advance of the biggest job interview process of his life. (could have just been weed, I don't know the specifics but regardless of the type it proves he is Ryan Leaf/Jamarcus Russell type of stupid)

htismaqe
12-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I thought Mallet threw the best looking ball in last years draft. This might have already been mentioned but the reason he fell so far in the draft is due to off the field issues. I was told by an industry insider that the rumors of drugs wasn't just rumors. Very talented kid but clearly not very smart if he was screwing around with drugs in advance of the biggest job interview process of his life. (could have just been weed, I don't know the specifics but regardless of the type it proves he is Ryan Leaf/Jamarcus Russell type of stupid)

It wasn't just weed according to a lot of people.

tredadda
12-26-2011, 09:41 AM
For the record, I would LOVE to get Luck or RGIII, I just don't see it as a realistic possibility. Whle we're at it, I'd love to get Cowher or Gruden, too, but I just prefer to talk about what we realistically can do, given our front office, rather than pipe dreams that will never happen.

So yeah, totally agree that the best chance to find the right guy is in the draft. But at this point, I just don't see us realistically taking a first-round QB this year. I hope I'm wrong.

1. We won't get Luck or RGIII because Pioli won't give up the picks necessary to get them.

2. We won't get Cowher or Gruden because Pioli won't give up the power necessary to bring them in.

Notice a theme developing?

el borracho
12-26-2011, 09:47 AM
this all seems a bit familiar:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=250662&highlight=ryan+mallet

Bob Dole
12-26-2011, 09:56 AM

It's not just weed and all of this is not new. He's been an idiot since high school.

Okie_Apparition
04-19-2012, 09:00 PM
RUUT ROWE

Patriots | Willing to listen to offers for backup QBs
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:12:55 -0700

New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio indicated the team would be willing to listen to offers from other teams for QBs Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1sXsjeVF2

O.city
04-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Wish we would have just drafted him last year.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-19-2012, 09:15 PM
RUUT ROWE

Patriots | Willing to listen to offers for backup QBs
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:12:55 -0700

New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio indicated the team would be willing to listen to offers from other teams for QBs Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1sXsjeVF2

Give them Castle back.

I was pissed every time we passed up on Mallett in the draft...

Okie_Apparition
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
11=1250
27(680)+31(600)=1280
Mallet #74('10) Cassel #35('09)+Vrabel's unused razor

Discuss Thrower
04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
What would it take for Mallet? Anything more than a 3rd rounder? And trading for undrafted Hoyer would be asinine.

Bump
04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Nah, Tom Brady obviously isn't a good mentor. Cassel and Matt Moore aren't exactly studs.

Sorter
04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=710070-patriots---ryan-mallett-was-top-rated-qb

Chief Roundup
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I didn't want Mallet last year and still don't. I watched him a lot and he makes total dumbass decisions.

Ebolapox
04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Nah, Tom Brady obviously isn't a good mentor. Cassel and Matt Moore aren't exactly studs.

matt moore was never a patriot.

Frankie
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Give them Castle back.

1- (According to Pioli) Cassel is a Pro bowl QB.

2- We established his minimum value at a 2nd round draft choice when we traded for him.

3- Mallett is a lowly 3rd rounder.

Not a fair trade. But,...., OK,... let's do it as a favor back to Belicheck.

RealSNR
04-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Give them Cassel, Pioli, and Romeo for Belichick. It's like we're practically giving them a backup QB for free! How can they possibly refuse that offer?

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Arrowhead Pride ‏@ArrowheadPride

Schefter: "Even Brian Daboll ... recognized that [Ryan] Mallett could have won the starting job with the Chiefs..."

notorious
02-21-2013, 09:03 AM
New England just needs to die a horrible death.

AndChiefs
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Schefter: "Even Brian Daboll ... recognized that [Ryan] Mallett could have won the starting job with the Chiefs..."

Yeah but look at the competition for said starting job. I might've had a shot.

RealSNR
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM

No he couldn't.

Cassel was Pioli's boy toy. Nobody was beating him out of that starter's spot except for maybe Tom fucking Brady.

O.city
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
From what I've heard from people who were in the org last year, pretty much everyone knew Cassel wasn't good, save for Pioli. He really was his boy pet.

htismaqe
02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Give them Castle back.

So are you just into all things Razorback or what?

Ryan Mallett is horrible.

htismaqe
02-21-2013, 10:33 AM
It's not just weed and all of this is not new. He's been an idiot since high school.

Exactly. It was much, much more than just toking some reefer.

Plus, I don't care how great his arm is, his feet are like concrete fucking blocks. He has absolutely zero mobility.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
New England just needs to die a horrible death.

lolololmao.....this. Or, at least disappear from all things KC.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShowtimeSBMVP
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

On the heels of Tom Brady's extension, Mr. @RapSheet reported the #Patriots are "expected to entertain" offers for Ryan Mallett.

O.city
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Maybe thats why the 9ers released what they did. Maybe they had some info Mallett was about to come available and knew whoever was into Smith was into Mallett as well?

BossChief
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
I'd rather have Mallett than Alex Smith...but I don't really want either.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-25-2013, 05:50 PM

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
They want atleast a 2 for Mallett. Ugh.

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:01 PM

Actually, I'd rather have Alex Smith.

I really don't want anybody with cinder blocks for feet.

chiefforlife
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to "entertain offers" for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady's contract extension.
The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett's rookie deal runs out in 2015. "I think it means he's gonna be traded," Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April's draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

Hootie
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Well I'd rather him than Alex Smith because of $$$ and the fact it may still mean we take Geno #1....

But another Patriots backup? That's worse than another 49ers backup lol

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
That would be funny if the first thing Fuckstick Lombardi did was pull a Scooter and trade for Mallett.

Hootie
So Mallet gets traded and Cassel returns to New England!

mcaj22
yea but this guy has a cannon and potential.

probably more potential than Foles. But the problem is giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy who has no NFL sample size but preseason games is pretty much a huge "no fucking chance"

But I would take this guy over Alex Smith in a second

O.city
02-25-2013, 06:07 PM
I'd take Foles and/or Mallett over Smith. Easily.

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Well I'd rather him than Alex Smith because of $$$ and the fact it may still mean we take Geno #1....

But another Patriots backup? That's worse than another 49ers backup lol

He's younger with more "potential" than Smith. If they bring him in, much like Foles, they'll look at him like a draft pick and treat him as such.

I actually think there's a better chance of taking Geno if we get AS than if we get someone like Mallett.

JD10367
Why the fuck would anyone want Mallett over Alex Smith?

Alex Smith: a 28-year-old QB who last year had 13 TD and 5 INT and a 104 QB rating.

Mallett: a 24-year-old whose career stats are... 1 for 4 for 25 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, and a 5.2 QB rating.

Any team that would give up anything more than a 5th-round pick for Mallett is on crack. Any team that thinks Mallett would come in and be their starter is on cheap crack.

htismaqe
I can't believe anybody would want Mallett.

He's basically Mike Glennon only slower and less mobile.

With Tyler Bray's baggage.

Hootie
02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
ok I change my mind

no Mallett. I didn't realize he was a statue.

gohogs14
02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
I can't believe anybody would want Mallett.

He's basically Mike Glennon only slower and less mobile.

He was a lot better than glennon in college though.

He has a ton of potential but i wouldn't want to trade for him as a starter until he proves something first

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
He was a lot better than glennon in college though.

He has a ton of potential but i wouldn't want to trade for him as a starter until he proves something first

Lots of guys were good under Petrino. I don't think any of them have been good in the pros.

gohogs14
02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Lots of guys were good under Petrino. I don't think any of them have been good in the pros.

None of them had his talent...but yeah i think his ceiling would be a jay cutler type. Make an impossible throw one play and a dumb turnover the next. I don't think his mobility is as bad as it is portrayed, hes not fast but he moves in the pocket well. But who knows since he's only thrown 4 passes so far

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Fuck him in the ass already?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
02-25-2013, 06:56 PM

No issues since he's been in the NFL.

gohogs14
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Or in college for that matter, except for a public intox

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Doesn't mean he doesn't have baggage. It just means that Bill has kept him in check.

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Or in college for that matter, except for a public intox

ROFL

gohogs14
02-25-2013, 07:03 PM
ROFL

I mean, i dont see him ever being a guy like jamarcus russell. He's a douche but roethelisberger, vick, and plenty of other QBs have done worse. No idea how gabbert and locker went ahead of him

Pasta Little Brioni
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Why???????

htismaqe
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I mean, i dont see him ever being a guy like jamarcus russell. He's a douche but roethelisberger, vick, and plenty of other QBs have done worse. No idea how gabbert and locker went ahead of him

Because he had serious character concerns, his feet suck, and outside of having a live arm, he doesn't offer much.

HotCarl
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
This one ranks right above keeping Cassel

gohogs14
02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
This is a long but deep article about him that was posted recently

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/2011-nfl-combine-bad-scene-mallett-was-it-fair

Setsuna
02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Bray is better than Mallet.

Frankie
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
From what I've heard from people who were in the org last year, pretty much everyone knew Cassel wasn't good, save for *****. He really was his boy pet.

Tamba Hali begs to differ. ;)

So are you just into all things Razorback or what?

Ryan Mallett is horrible.

Not horrible. But not what I'd want for the Chiefs. I was a bit on his badwagon until the combine. Then he really dropped for me.

Actually, I'd rather have Alex Smith.

I really don't want anybody with cinder blocks for feet.

This.