PDA

View Full Version : Life Model Rockets

crispystl
12-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Anyone into this? I got my 4 year old one for Christmas and he (we) freaking loved it. I hadn't launched one since I was a kid.

Ming the Merciless
12-25-2011, 08:48 PM
nice,

I know its not the same thing but my 3 year old nephew loves this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_koG_T0H08xs/ShblfWSzHiI/AAAAAAAAAH0/z9su2FpbJPg/s320/Stomp+1.png

"stomp rocket"

I plan on working him up to some model rockets too, but for now he loves the stomp rockets..

God of Thunder
12-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I used to do them all the time when I was younger! I loved them so much. I built one of the kits and made it all "personalized"......one evening, I launched in a "little too late" with an E engine......never found the thing. Kind of want another just thinking about it.

crispystl
12-25-2011, 08:54 PM
nice,

I know its not the same thing but my 3 year old nephew loves this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_koG_T0H08xs/ShblfWSzHiI/AAAAAAAAAH0/z9su2FpbJPg/s320/Stomp+1.png

"stomp rocket"

I plan on working him up to some model rockets too, but for now he loves the stomp rockets..

Nice. Man my in laws could not fathom what we were talking about when I said I got him a rocket. They were like a water rocket? I was like no a real one that launches with a black powder engine they though I was fucking crazy . He loooved it. Dad's get little boys the best gifts because we were one at one time.

crispystl
12-25-2011, 08:56 PM
I used to do them all the time when I was younger! I loved them so much. I built one of the kits and made it all "personalized"......one evening, I launched in a "little too late" with an E engine......never found the thing. Kind of want another just thinking about it.

Shit man look them up on e-bay. I got the entire launch set and rocket for under 30.00 and the engines were 8 bucks I think.

God of Thunder
12-25-2011, 08:57 PM
doing it now

crispystl
12-25-2011, 08:59 PM
doing it now

I loved them when I was a kid and my son and I had had so much fun today I was looking at more earlier. It was seriously one of my fondest moments in life. Nothing like passing the torch to your little boy.

Discuss Thrower
12-25-2011, 09:19 PM
A screaming comes across the sky....

listopencil
12-25-2011, 09:20 PM
We did this with our kids in Scouts. Fun stuff. Somewhere on CP is a MS Paint version of an incident from my youth involving a model rocket engine.

Ming the Merciless
12-25-2011, 09:25 PM
You probly saw it but get your kid "October Sky"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qHyWE7s_lGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
12-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Heh, LiveSteam bought one of those for my son for Christmas a few years back. I figured the best place to launch it would be at the school playground across the street...bad idea. It landed on the roof of the school the second time we launched it. Never recovered it.

crispystl
12-25-2011, 09:31 PM
You probly saw it but get your kid "October Sky"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qHyWE7s_lGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yeah man I love that movie.

crispystl
12-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Heh, LiveSteam bought one of those for my son for Christmas a few years back. I figured the best place to launch it would be at the school playground across the street...bad idea. It landed on the roof of the school the second time we launched it. Never recovered it.

You need something like a field. We lost a ton of them as kids. Mostly hung in trees.

LiveSteam
12-25-2011, 09:52 PM

I thought you launched & lost it in your grand dads corn filed

Bugeater
12-25-2011, 09:59 PM
LMAO Oh shit, you are right, it got lost in the corn. I forgot all about that.

What the hell am I thinking of then? I distinctly remember one going on to the roof of the school one time.

crispystl
12-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Oh shit, you are right, it got lost in the corn. I forgot all about that.

What the hell am I thinking of then? I distinctly remember one going on to the roof of the school one time.

Fucking Stoners lmao

Bugeater
12-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Nah, just getting old and can't remember shit. I may have bought a second one after the corn field incident.

LiveSteam
12-25-2011, 10:09 PM
LMAO Oh shit, you are right, it got lost in the corn. I forgot all about that.

R-U you doing a drive-by tonight? Im game

Bugeater
12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
R-U you doing a drive-by tonight? Im game
Nah, got lazy. I'll get with ya tomorrow.

MoreLemonPledge
12-25-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_rocketeer2_7.jpg

Bob Dole
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
It's fun to try to launch a raw egg on one and try to recover it unbroken.
Posted via Mobile Device

Graystoke
12-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Without a doubt good fun!
We always stock up when Hobby Lobby has 50% off. We end up breaking them and then saving the parts to make Franken-Rockets.

The thing is the engines are so expensive we started making our own. The first time they were bad, but we got better and better.

Its real funny because we live on a lake. So we set up a Kayak Rocket Rescue team. Half the fun is finding them either in trees or the numerous wildflower fields.

We don't use electric start. I just bought some dynamite fuse at a gun show. It is way faster and more predictable.

crispystl
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Without a doubt good fun!
We always stock up when Hobby Lobby has 50% off. We end up breaking them and then saving the parts to make Franken-Rockets.

The thing is the engines are so expensive we started making our own. The first time they were bad, but we got better and better.

Its real funny because we live on a lake. So we set up a Kayak Rocket Rescue team. Half the fun is finding them either in trees or the numerous wildflower fields.

We don't use electric start. I just bought some dynamite fuse at a gun show. It is way faster and more predictable.

What do you make the engines out of? Black powder?

Denny
12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
If you're gonna do it, do it right...
vL1eXdVjN74

C-Mac
12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
This thread reminded me of one of my all time favorite videos.

oqt3y19N9AI

LiveSteam
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4xgXFOTNrVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Graystoke
12-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Yes it is a hard grain black powder. I have to admit when I say we make them, that means I go to my buddies house with beer, we use all his toolings and chemicals and we make them there, and usually a shitload. I understand the principles of packing the delay charge and ejection charge etc...but his tools make them Pro.

The only modification we have to do is on the rockets themselves is to change the motor mounts.

Here is a good site that explains.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/model-rocket-engine.asp

Holladay
12-28-2011, 03:50 PM
C-Mac....I spit coke all over the monitor:) I haven't giggled like that in a while.

Holladay
12-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Speakiing of favorite vids, I have this posted on my desktop. Whenever Im having a bad day, watch this and realized the days' not so bad.

It keeps within the theme of this thread.....kinda

Prolly NSFW

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/1195/

vailpass
12-28-2011, 03:53 PM
We do rocketry for my two youngest son's cub scout troops. The boys dig it no end.
Estes is the bestes!

Donger
12-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I used to fire rockets all the time, and have been thinking about starting again. My daughter is fascinated with space stuff.

After losing a bunch of rockets to trees and such, we used to take the un-used engines and set them off in the trees near Indigenous Persons' Creek to see who would get hit. Rather painful experience. As was hitting CO2 canisters with golf clubs.

vailpass
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I used to fire rockets all the time, and have been thinking about starting again. My daughter is fascinated with space stuff.

After losing a bunch of rockets to trees and such, we used to take the un-used engines and set them off in the trees near Indigenous Persons' Creek to see who would get hit. Rather painful experience. As was hitting CO2 canisters with golf clubs.

LMAO Indigenous Persons
You have one of those in Colorado? We have Indian Creek, Indian Creek Country Club, etc. in Marion, IA

Donger
12-28-2011, 04:25 PM
LMAO Indigenous Persons
You have one of those in Colorado? We have Indian Creek, Indian Creek Country Club, etc. in Marion, IA

No, I was being politically correct. I don't want to offend anyone.

vailpass
12-28-2011, 04:31 PM
No, I was being politically correct. I don't want to offend anyone.

How very good of you citizen. I grok you well.
My wife is 1/16 injun. She's a green eyed, blonde haired squaw that loves her firewater. I have special dispensation.

Donger
12-28-2011, 04:52 PM
How very good of you citizen. I grok you well.
My wife is 1/16 injun. She's a green eyed, blonde haired squaw that loves her firewater. I have special dispensation.

May I suggest her Indigenous Person's name?

If so, Stands With a Fifth

vailpass
12-28-2011, 04:53 PM
May I suggest her Indigenous Person's name?

If so, Stands With a Fifth

LMAO

Thanks for not saying Runs with Hatchet Wound

WV
12-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I've always thought they were neat, but not sure where I'd set them off. I'll have to check into it.