PDA

View Full Version : The next big thing at TE?

htismaqe
12-26-2011, 09:42 AM
The way things are going at the position, I'd like to see us take a flyer at Ladarius Green out of ULL in the 3rd. Of couse, a decent combine might catapult him up and out of reach (I wouldn't want him if we had to go 2nd round pick to get him since he's a TE).

jspchief
12-26-2011, 10:18 AM
The fact that we've gone through the season with guys we have pisses me off. I realize Pope is a steady blocker, but every team in the league seems to have young athletic TEs for depth, and we're rolling out Pope, Odonnell, and Becht?

I don't know much about your guy, but I do think we need to build on the TE spot on this roster.

jd1020
12-26-2011, 11:45 AM
The way things are going at the position, I'd like to see us take a flyer at Ladarius Green out of ULL in the 3rd. Of couse, a decent combine might catapult him up and out of reach (I wouldn't want him if we had to go 2nd round pick to get him since he's a TE).

In the 3rd? WTF?

If we are looking at TE in the 3rd it had better be Fleener. Green shouldn't be drafted before the 5th.

htismaqe
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
In the 3rd? WTF?

If we are looking at TE in the 3rd it had better be Fleener. Green shouldn't be drafted before the 5th.

What?

Fleener is the consensus #1 TE in the draft, he'll be gone LONG before the 3rd.

Green already has a 3rd/4th grade most everywhere, and that's before the Combine. His measurables are superb and he's going to run a 4.6ish 40 which is likely to push him well into the 3rd round.

jd1020
12-26-2011, 08:08 PM
What?

Fleener is the consensus #1 TE in the draft, he'll be gone LONG before the 3rd.

Green already has a 3rd/4th grade most everywhere, and that's before the Combine. His measurables are superb and he's going to run a 4.6ish 40 which is likely to push him well into the 3rd round.

I'd sure love to know where you are getting your "consensus" from.

Allen from Clemson is the #1 TE.

htismaqe
12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I forgot about Allen, he's a Junior.

Still, there are some sites that have Fleener overall #1 at the position.

That being said, that doesn't change that pretty much every site, even the ones that have Allen #1 overall, rate Green as a 3rd/4th prospect. So saying he shouldn't be drafted before the 5th is a little over-the-top.

jd1020
12-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I forgot about Allen, he's a Junior.

Still, there are some sites that have Fleener overall #1 at the position.

That being said, that doesn't change that pretty much every site, even the ones that have Allen #1 overall, rate Green as a 3rd/4th prospect. So saying he shouldn't be drafted before the 5th is a little over-the-top.

I'm going to assume you are only using nfldraftscout as your consensus. They are the only site I know of not using any underclassmen and they have him going in the 3-4 range. If/when the underclassmen declare Green is going to be pushed back.

Green is a one dimensional TE. He's 6'6 230. Ya, he's tall, but he's skinny as hell for his frame.

htismaqe
12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm going to assume you are only using nfldraftscout as your consensus. They are the only site I know of not using any underclassmen and they have him going in the 3-4 range. If/when the underclassmen declare Green is going to be pushed back.

NFL Draft Countdown and several others as well. How many underclassmen are going to push these guys down? I only know of Allen and the kid at Notre Dame, I'm sure I'm missing a couple more. There's several players that different sites have just ahead of him that I think are crazy, like the TE from Northwestern.

Green is a one dimensional TE. He's 6'6 230. Ya, he's tall, but he's skinny as hell for his frame.

He weighed under 200 when he came in. He's put on over 30 pounds since arriving on campus and it's Lafayette LA, not a big school conditioning program. He's a legit 6'6" and also a legit 4.6 guy. His catch radius is ridiculous, kind of like Calvin Johnson's.

The NFL is evolving and for once I'd like to see us be ahead of that. No, he's likely not ever going to be a good inline blocker but that's not why I want him. I will admit, I have a personal affinity for the guy being a closet ULL fan but I think he's also a decent NFL prospect despite being a Ragin Cajun.

If he does get pushed down to the 4th/5th, he'd definitely be worth the pick.

jspchief
12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure why we would want him. We already have a WR that's his size, what's the point?

I want a TE who's blocking ability gets Pope off the field. Receiving ability is secondary.

htismaqe
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure why we would want him. We already have a WR that's his size, what's the point?

I want a TE who's blocking ability gets Pope off the field. Receiving ability is secondary.

First, we don't have any WR his size - he's 6'6", 230 lbs - and he's got room to put more weight on his frame.

He probably has better hands than any WR we have now, too.

the Talking Can
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Orson Charles of Georgia is coming out... a 2nd, maybe 3rd rounder

not much of a blocker but excellent route runner and hands

htismaqe
12-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Orson Charles of Georgia is coming out... a 2nd, maybe 3rd rounder

not much of a blocker but excellent route runner and hands

He's not nearly as tall.

htismaqe
12-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Excellent discussion, BTW. This is the kind of stuff I missed most while I was on hiatus...

O.city
12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing in two TE's. With MO's health concerns.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Orson Charles is a horrible blocker.

Bewbies
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
This is actually a great thread. With NE finding uber success with 2 TE sets, we'll be going that way soon too. Of course we'll ignore the Tom Brady part of that success, but that's what you do when you follow THE PATRIOT WAY.

htismaqe
12-30-2011, 08:20 AM
This is actually a great thread. With NE finding uber success with 2 TE sets, we'll be going that way soon too. Of course we'll ignore the Tom Brady part of that success, but that's what you do when you follow THE PATRIOT WAY.

ROFL

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
The fact that we've gone through the season with guys we have pisses me off. I realize Pope is a steady blocker, but every team in the league seems to have young athletic TEs for depth, and we're rolling out Pope, Odonnell, and Becht?

I don't know much about your guy, but I do think we need to build on the TE spot on this roster.

That list doesn't look nearly as horrid with Moeaki, Pope, and Becht (who gives a shit whether it is Becht or OConnel).

I think we should get a blocker type also. Let's face it, until Cassel is gone, Jamaal Charles drives this offense. Blocking is important to this personnel group. Plus if you get Moeaki and another pass catching TE in the same formation, Cassel won't look at both of them, so what's the point?

However, I think Becht/O'Connel should be replaced with a young guy with some hands. I was really hoping that TE we had on the PS after Gonzo left would pan out. I think his name was Allen. He didn't get much PT in preseason, but he showed really good hands with Croyle. I wouldn't mind picking up a young guy with hands and a little finesse and try to get him going. Blocking can be taught, ala Gonzo.

EDIT: But I agree, Chiefs should be targeting some TE help. But it will be expensive, because everyone will be trying to find the next Gronk.

jspchief
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
First, we don't have any WR his size - he's 6'6", 230 lbs - and he's got room to put more weight on his frame.

He probably has better hands than any WR we have now, too.

Baldwin is 6'4" 230. And if the guy can't block he's gonna be defended like a receiver anyway. We already have Bowe (hopefully), Baldwin, Breaston, and Moeaki. I just don't see where he fits in with the receiving corps we have.

At least not at the expense of a day 2 pick.