PDA

View Full Version : Football Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012 ?

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
It will be a dizzying week atop the Chargers power structure, and the possibilities only keep getting more intriguing.

The first order of business for team president Dean Spanos is whether to retain General Manager A.J. Smith.

Spanos is expected to reveal his decision on whether to keep Smith by the middle of next week. It is believed, based on numerous conversations with league sources over the past month, that head coach Norv Turner will be fired regardless of who is the general manager.

Further, should Smith be fired in San Diego, he is expected to have opportunity elsewhere.

People familiar with Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s plans said Monday that Kroenke is waiting for Spanos to make a move on Smith. If Smith is available, league and agent sources strongly indicated that Smith will be hired as Rams’ general manager and bring along Jon Gruden as head coach.

Sources said Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012 and that his current employer, ESPN, is already preparing for his departure.

Spokesmen for ESPN and the Rams declined comment on Monday night.

Smith also declined comment when asked both about his future employment or his association with Gruden.

Sources who spoke Monday did so on the condition they not be identified. Those sources in a position to know Smith’s possible plans would not or could not say what he would do for a head coach if still in San Diego.

League sources have said for weeks that Kroenke plans to clean house after the season, firing both head coach Steve Spagnuolo and General Manager Billy Devaney. League sources also said this week that it is all but certain that Spagnuolo will join Andy Reid’s staff in Philadelphia as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator. Devaney, who was the Chargers Director of Player Personnel from 1990-2000, will not be a candidate in San Diego.

It is well-known in league circles that the relationship between Smith and Gruden is a solid one. The friendship began in the late 1990s when Gruden was head coach of the Oakland Raiders and was introduced to Smith by Smith’s closest friend, Bruce Allen, then the Raiders’ senior executive.

League and agent sources said recently that Smith has expressed his ongoing faith in Turner. However, Smith has also repeatedly said that five years is a “good test” for finding out the direction a head coach can take a team.

Turner is 48-31 in five seasons as head coach, but after back-to-back seasons have resulted in the Chargers missing the playoffs, it is possible Smith could decide he has to move in another direction. Moreover, he could be led in that direction by Spanos.

Even more certain than Turner’s fate is that of defensive coordinator Greg Manusky. Sources have long indicated the team views his hiring as a “mistake,” and the lack of answers in Detroit on Saturday sealed Manusky’s fate.

Turner, for his part, is aware of the likelihood of his being let go. Yet he vowed Monday to go about business as usual even as the Chargers’ season finale at Oakland has no real ramifications.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/26/changes-coming-chargers-brass/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hammock Parties
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Gruden to San Diego, Fisher to KC.

Caseyguyrr
12-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Gruden to San Diego, Turner to KC.

i would kill myself if Norv was hired here

MoreLemonPledge
12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
http://gaygamer.net/images/Chucky.jpg

If I was more motivated, I would photoshop a jersey on him.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2011, 10:44 PM
i would kill myself if Norv was hired here

Sorry, I meant Fisher. LMAO

jd1020
12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Gruden to San Diego, Turner to KC.

Does this mean that Rivers is available?

TimeForWasp
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Does that mean Alaska will have a team?

Okie_Apparition
12-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Mr Luck meet your #1 chance to be an NFL bust. Mr Jon Gruden

Titty Meat
12-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Jon Gruden sucks

RustShack
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
If he keeps Crennel and gets rid of Cassel, I'll be interested.

Rams Fan
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Fucking kidding me.

:facepalm:

Reerun_KC
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Would take Gruden over crennel or Fisher any day.

Fritz88
12-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Anyone who does that will draw my interest.
Posted via Mobile Device

KurtCobain
12-26-2011, 11:42 PM
We should go after him.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
12-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Would take Gruden over crennel or Fisher any day.

Agreed. San Diego is a phenomenal team held back by coaching. He could be downright dangerous with the chargers.

kcxiv
12-26-2011, 11:45 PM
lol, For the Chiefs the whole fucking thing starts off as, get Cassel out of here and get a damned QB that is good, not just average, but good. I dont know how you do it, but you do it. If not, then this team will just be the same old same old.

We been through this shit for 41 years now. It never changes, no qb, no go. Doesnt matter who the fucking coach is.

BossChief
12-26-2011, 11:52 PM

If Romeo is passed over for hc, I doubt he stays on past next year. There was a time earlier in the year where I wouldnt have cared, but the defense has been making strides in play calling and player development and to screw that up would be criminal.

That said, Gruden has shown in the past to be willing to go to a team with an established coordinator and to focus on offense and let the dc do his job.

He would be a good choice as HC because of that.

I like Gruden, but I wonder how the tram would respond to him.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2011, 11:53 PM
If Romeo is passed over for hc, I doubt he stays on past next year. There was a time earlier in the year where I wouldnt have cared, but the defense has been making strides in play calling and player development and to screw that up would be criminal.

That's fine.

He's old as fuck.

Stop acting like he's the golden goose of defensive coordinators. When was the last time he fielded a top 10 defense?

KurtCobain
12-26-2011, 11:57 PM
grudens first acts in kc would to retain cassel, orton, palko, and trade for manning campbell and vince young. Might as well see what jeff garcia is doing too.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoreLemonPledge
12-27-2011, 12:02 AM
grudens first acts in kc would to retain cassel, orton, palko, and trade for manning campbell and vince young. Might as well see what jeff garcia is doing too.
Posted via Mobile Device

"This guy. This guy. Oh boy, this guy right here is a stone cinderblock of try-hard and gumption. This guy knows how to play in the National Football League. This guy."

BossChief
12-27-2011, 12:03 AM
That's fine.

He's old as fuck.

Stop acting like he's the golden goose of defensive coordinators. When was the last time he fielded a top 10 defense?

Romeo is one of the absolute best defensive coordinators in football. To act as if that is an inaccurate statement is not fair.

If Gruden was openly available a month ago, I would have been pimping him since then.

His offenses were always fun to watch and I have no doubt he could coordinate gameplans that could win us playoff games.

Let's face it, if we are gonna try to win without a quarterback....we should be looking at Gruden or Billick and draft Richardson in the first round.

Hammock Parties
12-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Romeo is one of the absolute best defensive coordinators in football. To act as if that is an inaccurate statement is not fair.

To act as if our defense will COLLAPSE INTO RUIN without him is also not fair.

There is enough talent on this defense that if we have to hire another coordinator, we'll be fine.

Simply Red
12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
That's fine.

He's old as ****.

why do you hate Kansas & Missouri??

BossChief
12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Fire up the BBQ

BossChief
12-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Gruden >>>>>>>>>>>> Fisher

MoreLemonPledge
12-27-2011, 12:08 AM
http://blog.compete.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/best-buy.jpg

TimeForWasp
12-27-2011, 12:29 AM
http://trus.imageg.net/images/tru_hdrLogo.gif

Simply Red
12-27-2011, 12:31 AM
http://trus.imageg.net/images/tru_hdrLogo.gif

Why do you hate children and blacks?

</post>
12-27-2011, 12:36 AM
I would be okay with Gruden if for no other reason than I think he drafts a QB. If we get that, I don't care if he flames out and was fired in a year. At least we'd have a QB going forward.

TimeForWasp
12-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Why do you hate children and blacks?

because they are color blind/ colored

JK

BossChief
12-27-2011, 12:50 AM
I would be okay with Gruden if for no other reason than I think he drafts a QB. If we get that, I don't care if he flames out and was fired in a year. At least we'd have a QB going forward.

What makes you think he would draft one?

Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson mean anything to you?

I think it would be a good hire because he has shown to be able to get teams to really big games without great quarterbacks and I have little confidence that we will ever draft one.

HoneyBadger
12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
What about Trent Green?? I hear he might be available.

Boon
12-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Any word from the realtors?

FloridaMan88
12-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Gruden >>>>>>>>>>>> Fisher

Fisher has drafted and developed a franchise QB, Steve McNair as a HC.

Jon Gruden, the alleged offensive genius has not. Gruden is all about bringing in veteran QBs.

Say no to Gruden.

Rams Fan
12-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Jay Gruden>Jon Gruden.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2011, 01:49 AM

I almost posted this thread....but, fwiw....THIS. :toast:

BossChief
12-27-2011, 01:50 AM
6/16

Fuck that below average long term approach.

Gruden won right away, about everywhere he has been.

He would be a PERFECT fit.

Rams Fan
12-27-2011, 01:50 AM
6/16

**** that below average long term approach.

Gruden won right away, about everywhere he has been.

He would be a PERFECT fit.

Too bad he's going to St. Louis ;)

Quesadilla Joe
12-27-2011, 02:24 AM
We should go after him.
Posted via Mobile Device

He won't want to come to KC. Gruden has never had a young franchise QB, he will want to go to a team that has one or is in a position to get one.

kcxiv
12-27-2011, 03:24 AM

HE cant draft whats not there! Barkley staying really fucked things.

Al Bundy
12-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Gruden won't draft and develop a franchise type QB. He peed down his leg when it came to drafting Rodgers or Carnell Williams. He drafted a bust instead of the QB.

Titty Meat
12-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Gruden hasn't been shit since the 2002 super bowl.

jspchief
12-27-2011, 05:16 AM
As other have said, Gruden and young QBs don't mix. Oil and water. He's a bad fit for KC.

Warrior5
12-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Regardless of our QB situation, I don't think Gruden would want to come to KC anyway.

SD and Miami are "sexier" in terms of location, and both teams offer a better situation team-wise, especially SD's QB.

But if Clark could somehow get him, I'd be happy.

Mojo Jojo
12-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Regardless of our QB situation, I don't think Gruden would want to come to KC anyway.

SD and Miami are "sexier" in terms of location, and both teams offer a better situation team-wise, especially SD's QB.

But if Clark could somehow get him, I'd be happy.
I think Pioli is a huge reason why Gruden wouldn't want to come to KC. In fact Pioli will be a limiting factor in finding a new coach.

dannybcaitlyn
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm not sold on Gruden, but I believe we have the perfect receivers to run the west coast offense.

Bane
12-27-2011, 06:59 AM

Sweet,2 steady 8-8 teams in the same division for 16 years.LMAO

Abba-Dabba
12-27-2011, 07:02 AM
No to Chucky

I could live with

HC: Winston Moss
OC: Joe Lombardi
DC: Jim Leavitt

milkman
12-28-2011, 08:26 AM
To act as if our defense will COLLAPSE INTO RUIN without him is also not fair.

There is enough talent on this defense that if we have to hire another coordinator, we'll be fine.

I bet Charger fans were saying the same thing about Ron Rivera.

Extra Point
12-28-2011, 08:35 AM
HC: Chuckie
DC: Crennell (Gregg Williams, if we lose RAC, but I really want to keep RAC)
OC: Saunders
ST: Hoffman
QBC: Zorn
DBC: Thomas
OLC: Muir

</post>
12-28-2011, 08:36 AM
What makes you think he would draft one?

Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson mean anything to you?

I think it would be a good hire because he has shown to be able to get teams to really big games without great quarterbacks and I have little confidence that we will ever draft one.

These days it seems like all he does is blow his load talking about franchise QBs on MNF and during his QB camp on ESPN before the draft. Unless he's a complete moron, I think he's probably had enough interviews and workouts with some of these guys over the the last few QB classes to start with that in the draft. Maybe it's all song and dance but he seems to want to reinvent himself into a QB guru in the new era.

milkman
12-28-2011, 08:37 AM
HC: Chuckie
DC: Crennell (Gregg Williams, if we lose RAC, but I really want to keep RAC)
OC: Saunders
ST: Hoffman
QBC: Zorn
DBC: Thomas
OLC: Muir

What makes you think that Greg Williams is going anywhere?

And the sooner Muir gets the fuck out, the better.

Extra Point
12-28-2011, 08:50 AM

And the sooner Muir gets the **** out, the better.

Good for you. Muir worked well with Chuckie at TB.

BTW, do you keep asking "What's a Dilfer?"

milkman
12-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Good for you. Muir worked well with Chuckie at TB.

BTW, do you keep asking "What's a Dilfer?"

Are you related to Smed?

htismaqe
12-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Even if he was going somewhere, it wouldn't be to KC.

Extra Point
12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Gregg Williams is from Excelsior Springs, MO. There may be a hundred or so thousand reasons for him to come home.

KCBOSS1
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Jon Gruden sucks

Well, let's see.... He basically took two teams to the Super Bowl at the same time. He rode on the heels of Dungy's building Tampa a bit, but built the Raiders when He coached the Bucs against them in the superbowl. How does he suck again?

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Gregg Williams is from Excelsior Springs, MO. There may be a hundred or so thousand reasons for him to come home.

Williams runs a 4-3.

Rausch
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm not sold on Gruden, but I believe we have the perfect receivers to run the west coast offense.

:spock:

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, let's see.... He basically took two teams to the Super Bowl at the same time. He rode on the heels of Dungy's building Tampa a bit, but built the Raiders when He coached the Bucs against them in the superbowl. How does he suck again?

He took 1 ready made team to the super bowl and drafted like shit the whole time. Hadn't won a playoff game since. No thank you.

MahiMike
12-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Let's hope so.