PDA

View Full Version : Life I will be Arizona bound in a couple of weeks

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Going out to Flagstaff and Phoenix to look for work (my preference would be Flag). I don't find anything I will be KC bound where I have some life support.

Got me a few months of bills and living expenses saved up so I said to hell with everything it's time to hit the reset button. Turned a 3 week notice in late last week. I know it's foolish (especially with today's job market) but, it's time to make some serious changes in my life. And the only way I know to do it is to just f#cking do it and force the issue. I guess that is just what it takes with some people...

Phobia
12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Good for you, James. That's awesome.

Rain Man
12-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Recreating yourself is fun. There's nothing more exhilarating than landing in a new city with no ties, no reputation, and no obligations. You can become whatever you want.

I really should have been a con artist in the 1880s.

HemiEd
12-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Wow, that is a great thing to do, good luck out there! Flagstaff is a very good choice. :thumb:

I had a cousin do that very same thing a few years ago, to Vegas. He ended up in Phoenix as a truck driver.

Bane
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Good times.Good luck!

mlyonsd
12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
That is awesome. Something like this takes nads.

Frazod
12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
You should come north. Chicago's lovely this time of year. :D

FAX
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Flagstaff is nice. I would pick there, were I you Mr. Raiderhader.

FAX

vailpass
12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
What kind of work are you looking for?

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Good luck!

I'm in Florida right now visiting my son.

I'd like to move here but I'm not thrilled about the job situation. I have a good one now.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 03:55 PM
You should come north. Chicago's lovely this time of year. :D

The weather doesn't bother me in the least. You're liberal buddies up there wanting to restrict my gun rights does.

Thus one reason I have chosen AZ out of several different possibilities; one of if not the most gun friendly states in the nation.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
The weather doesn't bother me in the least. You're liberal buddies up there wanting to restrict my gun rights does.

Thus one reason I have chosen AZ out of several different possibilities; one of if not the most gun friendly states in the nation.

make no mistake, everyone has a gun or three here....

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/arizona.htm

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Flagstaff is nice. I would pick there, were I you Mr. Raiderhader.

FAX

That is my preference, but I realize there is more opportunities to be found in the larger metro area of Phoenix. So that is a plan B.

Brock
12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Are you basing this move on the job market being better somewhere else, specifically Arizona? I don't know if it is, but did you research it?

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
What kind of work are you looking for?

I imagine I will stick with bartending at first because that will be the easiest work for me to find. Ideally I would like to get on with a liquor distributor as a rep. I can put to use my knowledge and experience in the bar business and not live the bartender's lifestyle. That's a young man's game, and I'm getting to old for it.

But I'm one to keep my options open.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Good luck!

I'm in Florida right now visiting my son.

I'd like to move here but I'm not thrilled about the job situation. I have a good one now.

Florida was one destination on my list but, at the moment anyway, I've decided west is the best place for me.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I imagine I will stick with bartending at first because that will be the easiest work for me to find. Ideally I would like to get on with a liquor distributor as a rep. I can put to use my knowledge and experience in the bar business and not live the bartender's lifestyle. That's a young man's game, and I'm getting to old for it.

Flag definitely has the bars and of course there is lots of everything in Phoenix.

Have you ever considered Prescott? If not I recommend you look into it. fantastic quality of living, Whiskey Row would be a good place for you to catch on so you can work/make contacts while you pursue the liquor distributor line.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Are you basing this move on the job market being better somewhere else, specifically Arizona? I don't know if it is, but did you research it?

I've been looking at several different states for the past several months and job market trends has been part of the search. Frankly what I've found is the job market sucks just about every where right now. I've heard some people say that 'Zona is growing, but found nothing online to really back that up. So I'm basing my choice based on the other factors that are of issue to me (for instance my family will most likely be back out in the southwest in the next couple of years).

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Flag definitely has the bars and of course there is lots of everything in Phoenix.

Have you ever considered Prescott? If not I recommend you look into it. fantastic quality of living, Whiskey Row would be a good place for you to catch on so you can work/make contacts while you pursue the liquor distributor line.

Looked into it and from what I read it is a lot like Austin, TX. Kinda artsy, weird and proud of it. Not really my kind of culture.

But feel free to correct me if my impression is wrong.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
The economy in Poenix was based in large part on the paper tiger of the housing boom. So the housing industry which includes realtors, mortgage people, construction (electric, plumbing, framing, etc. etc.) are all in the toilet.

OTOH there are plenty of other avenues to pursue. AS it has always been in America there is opportunity to thrive if you want to work for it.
You might go on LinkedIn and go to groups like Arizona Professional Networkers, LinkedTogether Phoenix/Scottsdale, Maricopa Human Capital Collaborative, Phoenix Professionals and let people know you are coming to AZ and seeking connections in the liquor distribution business, that you would also like to know about solid bar tending jobs.

There are lots of high-end resorts and restaurants as well as busy bars where you could make a start here.

MIAdragon
12-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Vegas? I have a friend who bartends there and makes around 150K. Good luck where ever you end up.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Looked into it and from what I read it is a lot like Austin, TX. Kinda artsy, weird and proud of it. Not really my kind of culture.

But feel free to correct me if my impression is wrong.

My father in law lives in Austin, we go there a couple times a year and I love it.
Prescott is nothing like Austin, nothing is quite like Austin. You sure you aren't thinking of Sedona?

What I like you may hate, of course, but if you get a chance to pass through on your way from Phoenix up to Flag you might take a look.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
The economy in Poenix was based in large part on the paper tiger of the housing boom. So the housing industry which includes realtors, mortgage people, construction (electric, plumbing, framing, etc. etc.) are all in the toilet.

OTOH there are plenty of other avenues to pursue. AS it has always been in America there is opportunity to thrive if you want to work for it.
You might go on LinkedIn and go to groups like Arizona Professional Networkers, LinkedTogether Phoenix/Scottsdale, Maricopa Human Capital Collaborative, Phoenix Professionals and let people know you are coming to AZ and seeking connections in the liquor distribution business, that you would also like to know about solid bar tending jobs.

There are lots of high-end resorts and restaurants as well as busy bars where you could make a start here.

See now that is the kind of info I knew I would get here. I'll look into that, thanks.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
My father in law lives in Austin, we go there a couple times a year and I love it.
Prescott is nothing like Austin, nothing is quite like Austin. You sure you aren't thinking of Sedona?

What I like you may hate, of course, but if you get a chance to pass through on your way from Phoenix up to Flag you might take a look.

I realize there isn't anything quite like Austin. Probably a bad example. Santa Fe, NM would probably be a better comparison. But if I'm wrong I have no problem checking it out.

Frazod
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Uh, they're not "my" liberal buddies. :harumph:

And if you think it's bad here, try New York City. Holy fuck. One of my friends who visited earlier in the month from there has decided to buy a pistol (I took him to the range and ruined him). Pistol permit is $400, and the application process can take up to nine months (they send everything, including fingerprints) to the FBI. Any weapon purchased must be taken to the police department for inspection, and the permit must be renewed every three years, at $400 a pop.

And, of course, if you want to get a rifle, that's a separate permit.

I shit you not.

Up here, you just have to get a FOID card. Costs about $15 and is good for five years. There are probably more stringent restrictions in the City of Chicago itself, but I'm sure they aren't like New York.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Vegas? I have a friend who bartends there and makes around 150K. Good luck where ever you end up.

I know there is a ton of money to make out there in that field, but not really my type of environment.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Uh, they're not "my" liberal buddies. :harumph:

And if you think it's bad here, try New York City. Holy ****. One of my friends who visited earlier in the month from there has decided to buy a pistol (I took him to the range and ruined him). Pistol permit is $400, and the application process can take up to nine months (they send everything, including fingerprints) to the FBI. Any weapon purchased must be taken to the police department for inspection, and the permit must be renewed every three years, at $400 a pop.

And, of course, if you want to get a rifle, that's a separate permit.

I shit you not.

Up here, you just have to get a FOID card. Costs about $15 and is good for five years. There are probably more stringent restrictions in the City of Chicago itself, but I'm sure they aren't like New York.

Arizona all you have to do is buy a gun and ammo. And you can carry concealed or open.

I will be seen walking through the grocery store with a gun on my hip. Doubt me.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I know there is a ton of money to make out there in that field, but not really my type of environment.

Much better to live in Flag and visit Vegas than the other way around. Flag is beautiful year 'round. You'll have to put up with college pussy waling around in some parts of town but the occasional drunken native americans panhandling off you for a butweiser and yumbo yack more than make up for it.

Frazod
12-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Arizona all you have to do is buy a gun and ammo. And you can carry concealed or open.

I will be seen walking through the grocery store with a gun on my hip. Doubt me.

Yeah, that's definitely better.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Much better to live in Flag and visit Vegas than the other way around. Flag is beautiful year 'round. You'll have to put up with college pussy waling around in some parts of town but the occasional drunken native americans panhandling off you for a butweiser and yumbo yack more than make up for it.

LMAO

vailpass
12-27-2011, 04:48 PM
LMAO

My wife went to NAU. If I had my choice of anywhere to live in AZ (i.e. could talk my wife into moving away from her relatives) I'd go Flag or Prescott no doubt.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
My wife went to NAU. If I had my choice of anywhere to live in AZ (i.e. could talk my wife into moving away from her relatives) I'd go Flag or Prescott no doubt.

From everything I've read about it, and the pictures I've seen of the area, it is my type of country. And of everyone I've talked to about this that knows anything of the area I have yet to hear a negative word about it.

vailpass
12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Alliance Beverage Distributing Co
1115 N 47th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85043
(602) 760-5500

From the Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce Directory:

Distributors - Beer, Wine & Liquor

Northland Beverage
3825 E. Huntington Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Phone: 928-526-6401
Fax: 928-526-8536

Mother Road Brewing Company
7 S. Mikes Pike
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Phone: 928-774-9139

Mother Road Brewing Company is a craft brewery located in Flagstaff, Arizona. We will sell our beer in bottles and kegs to the public through the brewery, at your favorite bars and restaurants, and at convenience and grocery stores.

Golden Eagle Distributors
1850 E. Butler
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Phone: 928-779-3634
Fax: 928-779-4417

Fred Nackard Wholesale Beverage Co.
5660 East Penstock Avenue
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Phone: 928-526-2229
Fax: 928-522-2171
Send Email

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Alliance actually has some rep positions available in the Phoenix area. Not sure if my sales experience is enough for them. One way to find out I suppose......

JoeyChuckles
12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Beware, we only get 1 or 2 Chiefs games here in Phx every year.

That and the gun thing, but I guess that is a positive for you.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Beware, we only get 1 or 2 Chiefs games here in Phx every year.

That and the gun thing, but I guess that is a positive for you.

Sunday ticket.

Big positive.

Simply Red
12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Going out to Flagstaff and Phoenix to look for work (my preference would be Flag). I don't find anything I will be KC bound where I have some life support.

Got me a few months of bills and living expenses saved up so I said to hell with everything it's time to hit the reset button. Turned a 3 week notice in late last week. I know it's foolish (especially with today's job market) but, it's time to make some serious changes in my life. And the only way I know to do it is to just f#cking do it and force the issue. I guess that is just what it takes with some people...

let me know if you ever seek Atlanta, also, you should try to contact Endelt, though I think I heard he moved to San Diego or something, didn't you used to be tight w/ him?

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 10:28 PM
let me know if you ever seek Atlanta, also, you should try to contact Endelt, though I think I heard he moved to San Diego or something, didn't you used to be tight w/ him?

Last I heard that was were his bitch ass had landed. Probably just as well, he'd most likely just get me into too much trouble.

I do need to try and get in touch with him though, been too long.

luv
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Wherever you wind up, best of luck. I have a little over a year, and then I'm hopefully moving somewhere. Will be done with school this February, I have obtained a certification, and I will have nearly two years of legal experience under my belt by that point. I have no idea where I'm going yet. I love KC, know people, and there's a huge market for paralegals. However, I'm learning that I'm not exactly a fan of winter, so someplace in the south sounds great. Tallahassee appeals to me, as well.

Simply Red
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Last I heard that was were his bitch ass had landed. Probably just as well, he'd most likely just get me into too much trouble.

I do need to try and get in touch with him though, been too long.

ok, well regarding Atlanta, I'm sure you hate it, like most all people, there, provided you're in KC, but anyhow, If Az doesn't work out, I will help you to my fullest capacity - if you wanna point here, next. Standing offer. and that's to any poster not named shyguyms.

Good luck.

Raiderhater
12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
ok, well regarding Atlanta, I'm sure you hate it, like most all people, there, provided you're in KC, but anyhow, If Az doesn't work out, I will help you to my fullest capacity - if you wanna point here, next. Standing offer. and that's to any poster not named shyguyms.

Good luck.

LOL! I spent a couple of nights in Atlanta when I was down there for a trade show. Not nearly enough time to decide if I like, hate or am just plain indifferent to the place. :shrug:

Raiderhater
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I hate packing.

durtyrute
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM

That's really cool. Don't listen to the negative bullshit, either from your own head or from others. You can do it!

luv
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I hate packing.

How long are you staying?

EDIT: Doh! Never mind. Reread the OP.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey I live in Flagstaff!! STAY IN KC!!!!!

luv
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Afraid of someone better looking than you moving to town?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Afraid of someone better looking than you moving to town?

I was doing him a favor ;)

Raiderhater
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
That's really cool. Don't listen to the negative bullshit, either from your own head or from others. You can do it!

Haven't really heard anything negative from people (though I can see on their faces they are thinking it).

Raiderhater
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM

No shit? Sweet, a Planeteer to hook up with out there. If I were in KC I would stay there, but I'm in Texas, and doing everything I can to get the f#ck out.

Raiderhater
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I was doing him a favor ;)

Ha!

Raiderhater
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I have arrived.

lewdog
01-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I have arrived.

So where are you living? I am looking to relocate to Arizona when I finish school.

JoeyChuckles
01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
So where are you living? I am looking to relocate to Arizona when I finish school.

No.

Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it.

Seriously, I would recommend against the AZ at all cost.

lewdog
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
No.

Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it.

Seriously, I would recommend against the AZ at all cost.

Oh yea, why is that?

I just have had a lifetime full of winter and want to live in a big city for a while.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 12:58 AM

Ramada Inn at the moment.

lewdog
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Ramada Inn at the moment.

haha I meant what city?

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
haha I meant what city?

Flagstaff at the moment.

Imon Yourside
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I've been to flagstaff once, passed through a blizzard there. Was that unusual?

lewdog
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I've been to flagstaff once, passed through a blizzard there. Was that unusual?

No, Flagstaff has winters like most of the country.

Which is why I don't want to live there....so over ever having a winter again.

chief52
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Flagstaff has a winter. Low of 18 there tonight.

Phobia
01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Hope it all works out well for you, J. Let me know if you need to crash here for a while.

Bob Dole
01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Who the fuck is Bob Dole going to drink with in Tyler in June, now?

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Hope it all works out well for you, J. Let me know if you need to crash here for a while.

I hope so too. Been here one day now and absolutely love it.

However if I don't find work by the end of the week I may be taking you up on your offer. Just because I quit my job doesn't mean the bills stop coming in. I'll have to get some place where I have some life support pretty quick.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Who the **** is Bob Dole going to drink with in Tyler in June, now?

Raiderhader is pretty sure that if Bob Dole gives raiderhader an advance notice raiderhader will be able to hook the good senator up with someone. Raiderhader cannot however garuntee the sex of said individual.

Phobia
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I hope so too. Been here one day now and absolutely love it.

However if I don't find work by the end of the week I may be taking you up on your offer. Just because I quit my job doesn't mean the bills stop coming in. I'll have to get some place where I have some life support pretty quick.

LMK soon. Have a friend opening a bar in OP soon plus pretty tight with half a dozen bar owners in the LS area.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
LMK soon. Have a friend opening a bar in OP soon plus pretty tight with half a dozen bar owners in the LS area.

I'll have a pretty god idea by the end of the week. Your number still the same?

Phobia
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Yup

RJ
01-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I did this once. Ended up in Albuquerque. At the time I knew one person in all of New Mexico. I found a bad job, then got a better job and then got a better, better job. Met my (now) wife, have a beautiful daughter, bought a house.....all over about a 10 year period.

Not saying radical change is for everyone but it worked for me. It was what I needed at the time and for the most part has worked out best for all concerned.

Best of luck, Raiderhader.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Cool deal.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I did this once. Ended up in Albuquerque. At the time I knew one person in all of New Mexico. I found a bad job, then got a better job and then got a better, better job. Met my (now) wife, have a beautiful daughter, bought a house.....all over about a 10 year period.

Not saying radical change is for everyone but it worked for me. It was what I needed at the time and for the most part has worked out best for all concerned.

Best of luck, Raiderhader.

Well I'm someone who is in need of a radical change wether it is here or finally back home in KC.

It is good to hear from someone else who has done this. While it is something I needed to do I still realize just how insane it is to just up and quit a job with out something to go to. I'm really either really brave or really stupid. Haven't decided which yet but figufe it is probably a little of both.

RJ
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Well I'm someone who is in need of a radical change wether it is here or finally back home in KC.

It is good to hear from someone else who has done this. While it is something I needed to do I still realize just how insane it is to just up and quit a job with out something to go to. I'm really either really brave or really stupid. Haven't decided which yet but figufe it is probably a little of both.

A little of both is probably what you need to pull it off.

If you land a job you'll do fine. There can be a real benefit in being an out-of-towner in the workplace. People like new perspectives and new ideas and business owners get tired of hiring their competitor's ex-employees. You just need to get a little lucky and knock on the right door. And if it doesn't work out there, there's always the next stop. You seem like a sharp guy and that's half the battle.

RJ
01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
On a side note, about 4 months ago I hired the guy who first hired me in New Mexico. He was the best person for the job but it also didn't hurt that if he hadn't hired me I'd have never met my wife, had my daughter, bought my home, etc., etc.....If he hadn't give me a chance 15 years ago I don't know what I'd be doing now.

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
A little of both is probably what you need to pull it off.

If you land a job you'll do fine. There can be a real benefit in being an out-of-towner in the workplace. People like new perspectives and new ideas and business owners get tired of hiring their competitor's ex-employees. You just need to get a little lucky and knock on the right door. And if it doesn't work out there, there's always the next stop. You seem like a sharp guy and that's half the battle.

I've gotten a couple of leads from bartender in town where I stopped to ask about work. One was a dead end (already filled the position), the other I'm checking out tomorrow.

I do appreciate the story. While I don't have to have it seeing as how I have already started down this path with out it, it is nice now that I'm already down that path and wondering just what the hell i have gotten myself into. I'll make it one way or the other, but it is nice to have some encouragement from someone who has been there done that.

Frazod
01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
What did you do with all stuff, Jamie?

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
What did you do with all stuff, Jamie?

It's at mom and dad's until I have a place. I thank God for my parents. Super cool people who not only raised me to be the person I am today, but were also more supportive of decision than I expected them to be.

Frazod
01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
It's at mom and dad's until I have a place. I thank God for my parents. Super cool people who not only raised me to be the person I am today, but were also more supportive of decision than I expected them to be.

You're lucky to have them. :thumb:

Raiderhater
01-17-2012, 10:32 PM
You're lucky to have them. :thumb:

You don't need to tell me.

luv
01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Who the **** is Bob Dole going to drink with in Tyler in June, now?

Because we all know it is all about the Senator. ;)

Phobia
01-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Your mom & pops are good folks.

Bob Dole
01-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Because we all know it is all about the Senator. ;)

Good to see you're finally grasping the basics.

Rain Man
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
On a side note, about 4 months ago I hired the guy who first hired me in New Mexico. He was the best person for the job but it also didn't hurt that if he hadn't hired me I'd have never met my wife, had my daughter, bought my home, etc., etc.....If he hadn't give me a chance 15 years ago I don't know what I'd be doing now.

That's pretty cool. It must be nice to have the opportunity to return the favor.

Hydrae
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow, I wish I had seen this a couple weeks ago when you first posted it. I left Flagstaff 12 years ago (actually left working at Nackard Beverage!) to move to Austin. Beautiful place but not the best place to live, IMO. The jobs are almost entirely service industry due to the Grand Canyon tourists while prices are high (to soak those tourists). Couple that with the number of Cali transplants that have driven up housing costs and it is just a hard place to survive and get ahead. If you stay there, check for housing in the north and east parts of town, away from where I-17 comes in to town as that is where all the tourists are at.

Flag was the first place I saw the bumper sticker reading "If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?" Many locals feel this way! ROFL