PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Denver castoff Orton standing between Broncos and playoffs

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 06:58 AM
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16617424/denver-castoff-orton-standing-between-broncos-and-playoffs

Too bad the Kansas City Chiefs lost last weekend. Had they won, we'd probably see the Chiefs-Broncos on Sunday night instead of Dallas-New York, and, yes, there's a compelling reason beyond Tim Tebow to tune in.

Would Kyle Orton please step forward?

Talk about a perfect end to an imperfect season. The guy is supposed to be dealt to Miami before the season ... but isn't. So he stays with the Broncos where he's supposed to make them respectable ... but doesn't. Then he's benched and put on waivers, with the Bears supposed to pick him up ... only they don't. Kansas City beats them to Orton and sits him behind Tyler Palko until the Chiefs change coaches.

That's when they change quarterbacks, Orton steps in and -- voila! -- here we are: Orton vs. Tebow ... in Denver, no less, where Orton spent the last two-and-a-half seasons.

Tell me Orton would switch places with anyone this week because he wouldn't. Where Denver determined what happened to him once, he can now determine what happens to the Broncos once and for all.

If they lose, and Oakland beats San Diego, the Raiders win the AFC West. If they lose, and the Raiders lose, the Broncos win the division. But if Denver wins, it doesn't matter what happens in Oakland. The Broncos go to the playoffs.

I can't imagine Orton gives a rip about Oakland, but I guarantee his emotions run higher regarding his former team.

Beating Denver in the season finale would be Orton's way of giving Denver the ol' Rex Ryan. Granted, Kansas City couldn't stop Tebow ... or anyone else for that matter ... when Denver went to Arrowhead Stadium earlier this season. That was over six weeks ago when Tebow completed two passes -- one of which was a 56-yard touchdown -- in the Broncos' 17-10 victory.

But that can happen when you run for 244 yards, which the Broncos did that afternoon, and they're going to have to run for another 244 to hold off Orton and the Chiefs. Granted, Orton's no Len Dawson. But the guy has something to prove, and never underestimate the power of determination.

That's not all. Kansas City has nothing to lose, and neither does Orton. So the Chiefs will be loose, and that counts for something, too. I look for gadget plays, fumble-rooskies, unexpected calls, gambles, you name it, to pull the upset. I imagine Denver will be looking for them, too, because there's one team with a division title at stake, and it's not Kansas City.

The pressure, then, is not on Orton. It's on his former backup, Tebow, to deliver another victory. He's done it again and again this season, with critics starting to pile on after the Broncos were wasted the past two games, including a 40-14 blowout in Buffalo where Tebow was intercepted four times.

But the Broncos aren't designed to overcome turnovers, and they committed seven in the past two games. You can talk all you want about the Denver defense, but all I know is that after Tebow brought Denver within three last week, the Bills scored on their next three possessions.

So the defense isn't what it used to be, and it used to be pretty solid. That means Tebow must dial up more big plays, and good luck against Kansas City. The Chiefs shut down Aaron Rodgers, for crying out loud, and haven't allowed more than 16 points in four of their past five starts.

I know, Tebow and the Broncos' running game shredded them last month. My guess is that Kansas City knows what's coming this time. But that's not all: Now the Chiefs have someone who can exploit the holes in Denver's defense. It wasn't going to happen with Palko; it could with someone familiar with the Broncos.

Meaning it could with Orton.

"This is a game we need and must take," running back Willis McGahee said. "A must-take game. We need to go into that game and play lights-out football."

Somebody does. The Broncos are on their heels and in danger of blowing another playoff shot, just as they did in the final games of 2006, 2008 and 2009. They insist that won't happen again, only look what they're up against. It's not just the Chiefs; it's Kyle Frickin' Orton.

He gave the Broncos two decent years of service, only to have the Broncos abandon him. That means he has something to prove, and he proved it in the Chiefs' 19-14 upset of then-unbeaten Green Bay.

So he can still win. But can he win a big game? There haven't been many on Kansas City's schedule, but this one qualifies ... not because of what it means to the Chiefs but because of what it means to Denver.

Quesadilla Joe
12-28-2011, 07:11 AM
I fully expect Kyle Orton to pass for over 300 yards. I also expect him to fail in the redzone repeatedly and struggle to convert on third down.

Mile High Mania
12-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I hope it's a good game...

BigRock
12-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Beating Denver in the season finale would be Orton's way of giving Denver the ol' Rex Ryan.
He's gonna suck their toes?

Reerun_KC
12-28-2011, 07:37 AM
He's gonna suck their toes?

Dont ruin GoChiefs fantasy....

Reerun_KC
12-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I fully expect Kyle Orton to pass for over 300 yards. I also expect him to fail in the redzone repeatedly and struggle to convert on third down.

He gets 300 passing in this game, it will be an off season of Orton ball washing...