PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bring Peyton Manning To KC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
This argument of mine has bubbled up in a few threads by now. It hits a nerve every time, so let's focus my inane ramblings on Manning in one thread so I'm not derailing every other thread I post in.

The Chiefs need several things, far as I'm concerned, but all of them are attainable in your average offseason.

Aside from these things, I believe the Chiefs can compete for a Super Bowl the next two years, AT LEAST.

We are shy one really good to elite QB.

I am of the opinion that we should go the Montana route and bring in future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning from the Colts once they dump him for Luck or RG3. Assuming, of course, that his neck checks out.

I know it's a huge gamble, but he is commanding such a huge payday this year that only a couple QB-starved teams could even consider bidding for him.

We are one of those teams, and we have the most capspace of anybody we'd be competing against.

We also are by far the most Super Bowl ready team of any team considering him, so we could offer the most compensation to the Colts for him in the form of draft picks and still be in good shape to compete for a title.

Peyton Manning makes our coaching search easier. Offensive coordinators will line up by the dozens to work with Peyton, which I suppose doesn't matter because Peyton's the OC anyway. We can keep Crennel in the short term at least, as well.

I would trade our first this year and a conditional next year to make Peyton a Chief on Day One of free agency.

Something conditional in 2013 like this:

1st pick if: we win the Super Bowl
2nd: we win a playoff game
3rd: we win our division/make it to the playoffs
4th: he plays at least 12 games and doesn't end the season on IR

I know you can probably get Peyton for less. The Bad Guy in another thread suggested you could land him for a 2nd.

You could. But not on Day One of free agency.

I want him in immediately to build rapport with the receivers, and to serve as an amazing recruit for other offensive free agents.

I have guys like RB Jason Snelling, C Chris Myers, TE David Nelson, WR Anthony Gonzalez... all targeted this offseason. They would love to play with Manning.

Let the TRAIN OF PAIN commence, all offseason.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks to everybody for clearing up the Manning cap situation. It's now clear that trading for Manning is either nigh impossible or damn near clinical. But it's very likely he will be cut, and in that event, I still believe we should pursue him.

Buehler445
12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
In before the explosion.

Dexter Manley
12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello, Colts, what'ya want for Peyton.

colts - Peyton is not for sale. He isn't healthy now. And if and when he gets healthy, he will play for Indy and just Indy and only Indy

Reerun_KC
12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
:facepalm:

Pushead2
12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Joe Montana Part II

milkman
If Manning is still with the Colts when the draft rolls around, then they aren't trading him.

Direckshun
In before the explosion.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zsTRxXvQY0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bewbies
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
He is owed $28,000,000 5 days before the next league year begins. If he is available it will be because he was cut, not because someone traded for him.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
If Manning is still with the Colts when the draft rolls around, then they aren't trading him.

Free agency starts well before the draft.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
He is owed $28,000,000 5 days before the next league year begins. If he is available it will be because he was cut, not because someone traded for him.

So you can wait that long.

Or you can bring his ass in ASAP.

milkman
12-28-2011, 09:44 AM

And that matters because?

-King-
12-28-2011, 09:45 AM

He'll be cut before free agency if he's going to be cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Direckshit

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
And that matters because?

I was wondering the same thing about your initial post.

How, exactly, was it a response to my OP?

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
He'll be cut before free agency if he's going to be cut.

And?

Then we bring him in.

Bewbies
12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
So you can wait that long.

Or you can bring his ass in ASAP.

The guy will not be traded. The only way he will be available is if Indy cuts him to avoid paying him $28,000,000.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:49 AM
The guy will not be traded. The only way he will be available is if Indy cuts him to avoid paying him $28,000,000.

What's the cut deadline? Is it before free agency?

-King-
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Cut deadline?
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Cut deadline?
Posted via Mobile Device

The date by which the Colts could avoid forking over the salary by cutting Manning.

milkman
12-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I was wondering the same thing about your initial post.

How, exactly, was it a response to my OP?

If the Chiefs traded fr him before the end of the league year in March, then they would be on the hook for that 28 mil bonus, and all that cap space that the Chiefs have to sign free agents vanishes,

If they wait until after the new league year, then the Colts aren't going to trade him, because they invested that 28 mil.

He either gets cut and signed in free agency, or he remains a Colt.

Those are the only options.

milkman
12-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Free agency begins at the start of the new league year.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
If the Chiefs traded fr him before the end of the league year in March, then they would be on the hook for that 28 mil bonus, and all that cap space that the Chiefs have to sign free agents vanishes,

If they wait until after the new league year, then the Colts aren't going to trade him, because they invested that 28 mil.

Excellent.

I really like our chances if we decide to stick our nose in.

TimeForWasp
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Planning for Manning.

BigRichard
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/funny-gifs-haha-good-one.gif

Fritz88
12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I am all for Manning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun

LMAO LMAO LMAO

</post>

I'm not in favor of the Manning route, but it would be hilarious to see us land Manning for nothing while the raiders gave up two high picks for Carson Palmer.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 09:59 AM
What's not to like about the Manning route?

GUYS, WE HAVE A DEFENSE AND A RUN GAME.

Manning has routinely won 12 games a year without BOTH.

He can give us at LEAST two productive years, assuming he's healthy.

TimeForWasp
12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Exactly ROFL

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Where else are you getting your QB?

The draft? Not happening, unless you think Tannehill, the only QB we have a remotely close shot at, is a franchise guy.

Free agency? There are no franchise guys in free agency.

Name me a single option OTHER THAN Manning you'd prefer.

If you say Kyle Orton, under the mistake assumption we'll lose enough games in the next two years to get an elite QB prospect in the draft, you're high on goofballs.

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Because he chokes?

Hammock Parties
I would assume other teams are gonna line up to get Manning if he's available.

Teams who might be interested:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Redskins
Vikings
Cardinals
Seahawks

Wouldn't Manning rather go to Arizona or Minnesota and play in a dome, than in KC?

I actually think Arizona would be quite attractive for Manning with Fitzgerald there.

Molitoth
I would love to see Manning here.
Joe Montana worked out, Manning could work out even better.

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Redskins
Vikings
Cardinals
Seahawks

Wouldn't Manning rather go to Arizona or Minnesota and play in a dome, than in KC?

I actually think Arizona would be quite attractive for Manning with Fitzgerald there.

Manning will go to a contender.

Hammock Parties

The thought of an offense with Manning AND Charles is pretty intriguing.

:doh!:

Direckshun
Because he chokes?

He's won a Super Bowl.

We've got a run game that he didn't have, and a defense that he didn't have, for every year he was a Colt except the year they won the Super Bowl.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Any team is a contender with Peyton Manning.

I think he would make the Cardinals a contender for sure. Their defense is decent.

Direckshun

Amen.

Exception of the Jets, we're the best contender on that list with Manning.

Titty Meat
He's won a Super Bowl.

We've got a run game that he didn't have, and a defense that he didn't have, for every year he was a Colt except the year they won the Super Bowl.

He's still choked more often than not and being 35 years old with a questionable injury doesn't help. Signing Manning would be an excuse not to draft a QB which this team needs to do.

Coogs
Just curious if anyone knows what the beginning dates are for being able to sign free agents in 2012, and for being able to make trades? Is one before the other, or is it the same day?

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
The thought of an offense with Manning AND Charles is pretty intriguing.

:doh!:

It's better than intriguing.

It's wood-inducing.

Micjones
I'd take a healthy Manning. He'd make this team a favorite in the AFC overnight.

milkman

The fact that this neck issue isn't a new injury, that it is a recurring one.

He's one hit away from the end of his career.

There's also the fact that he's 35 years old, and the core of this team has a 7-8 window, while Manning only offers you roughly a 3 year window.

What do you do to back him up and prepare for the future, or for the potential of that career ending injury?

Titty Meat
Any team is a contender with Peyton Manning.

I think he would make the Cardinals a contender for sure. Their defense is decent.

Yeah but the Chiefs defense is elite and the offense is miles better.

Coogs
12-28-2011, 10:05 AM

You do realize we are heading in to year 4 with Pioli. Christ, at least Carl's 5 year plan nearly worked. How many years is Pioli's plan going to need to get off the ground?

TimeForWasp
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm all for it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252096&highlight=planning+for+manning

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah but the Chiefs defense is elite

LMAO

People need to get this idea out of their heads.

We're 20th in points and 15th in yards.

Would we be better with Berry? Sure. We could be potentially a top 10 defense.

You can't sit there and say we are elite until we actually reach that status, though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
It would be beyond moronic to trade for someone who is A) overpaid and B) going to be cut.

If you want to bring him in, it's a defensible move. Short-sighted, of course, but defensible. But trading picks for him is foolish.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
If Manning can still play, would it be possible to sign him and draft a QB?

Is that a pipe dream? Because that would be perfect.

Molitoth
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Manning will end up going to a team that he WANTS to play for. Lets just hope that is the Chiefs.

Lzen
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Redskins
Vikings
Cardinals
Seahawks

Some of those teams on your list may not really need a QB. As for Arizona, I think Manning may prefer the combo of Bowe, Breaston, and Baldwin to Fitz. That and the Chiefs team overall is better.

Molitoth
12-28-2011, 10:11 AM

I think that is what most people want.

I'd love Manning as a Chief, but that doesn't mean I also want to ignore the issue long term. Manning is a stop-gap for 1-3 years in drafting and developing our own QB.

Titty Meat
LMAO

You can't sit there and say we are elite until we actually reach that status, though.

Have you not watched this defense play the last few months?

Chiefnj2
Give him 30 mil so Clark doesn't want to spend on guys like Bowe and Carr.

Give the Colts this years first and next years first for him.

Bring in a puppet OC that can work with him.

Change the entire offense so Manning is comfortable and bring in the FA's he wants and he is comfortable with.

Then, when the nerve in his neck flares up in his first preseason game and he doesn't play another down, KC can go 0-16, have a system that doesn't fit, players that don't fit, and we can give the Colts our 2013 number 1 pick in the draft. Brilliant!!!!

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Manning has an enormous ego, though.

He no doubt thinks he can make any offense elite. The Cardinals are fine on defense.

Throw him in a dome, instant contender.

Lzen
12-28-2011, 10:13 AM
IF Manning is healthy enough to play up to his previous level, I have no problem with this. In the meanwhile, the Chiefs should continue to draft QBs in the hopes of finding one for the future. This year's crop doesn't look that good for the Chiefs considering their position. Unless, of course, a guy like Tannehill turns out to be a good NFL prospect.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Have you not watched this defense play the last few months?

Sure. Did you watch them struggle to pressure Carson Palmer last week?

This D is not elite yet.

They might be next year. But they have not arrived.

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Sure. Did you watch them struggle to pressure Carson Palmer last week?

This D is not elite yet.

They might be next year. But they have not arrived.

The team they held to 13 points in regulation right?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Manning is the prototypical Daniel Snyder move.

tredadda
This argument of mine has bubbled up in a few threads by now. It hits a nerve every time, so let's focus my inane ramblings on Manning in one thread so I'm not derailing every other thread I post in.

The Chiefs need several things, far as I'm concerned, but all of them are attainable in your average offseason.

Aside from these things, I believe the Chiefs can compete for a Super Bowl the next two years, AT LEAST.

We are shy one really good to elite QB.

I am of the opinion that we should go the Montana route and bring in future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning from the Colts once they dump him for Luck or RG3. Assuming, of course, that his neck checks out.

I know it's a huge gamble, but he is commanding such a huge payday this year that only a couple QB-starved teams could even consider bidding for him.

We are one of those teams, and we have the most capspace of anybody we'd be competing against.

We also are by far the most Super Bowl ready team of any team considering him, so we could offer the most compensation to the Colts for him in the form of draft picks and still be in good shape to compete for a title.

Peyton Manning makes our coaching search easier. Offensive coordinators will line up by the dozens to work with Peyton, which I suppose doesn't matter because Peyton's the OC anyway. We can keep Crennel in the short term at least, as well.

I would trade our first this year and a conditional next year to make Peyton a Chief on Day One of free agency.

Something conditional in 2013 like this:

1st pick if: we win the Super Bowl
2nd: we win a playoff game
3rd: we win our division/make it to the playoffs
4th: he plays at least 12 games and doesn't end the season on IR

I know you can probably get Peyton for less. The Bad Guy in another thread suggested you could land him for a 2nd.

You could. But not on Day One of free agency.

I want him in immediately to build rapport with the receivers, and to serve as an amazing recruit for other offensive free agents.

I have guys like RB Jason Snelling, C Chris Myers, TE David Nelson, WR Anthony Gonzalez... all targeted this offseason. They would love to play with Manning.

Let the TRAIN OF PAIN commence, all offseason.

40+ straight years of Chiefs history says this won't work. I would have no issues with bringing in Manning IF

1. We address the QB situation long term this year in the draft whether that is by trading up for Luck or RGIII or drafting the top Tier II QB available.

2. He is cut as I won't give up a first rounder and a conditional pick (which could be a 1st according to your scenario) for a 36 year old QB coming off neck surgery.

To jeopardize our long term success for a couple years of Peyton is utterly foolish, but it sounds very Chief-ish. I do not want to make one SB run followed by years of failure or mediocrity. I would rather have more long term success and Peyton does not provide that. Peyton is like heroine. He is good for a short term quick "high", but ultimately he is not good for you long term.

Lzen
It would be beyond moronic to trade for someone who is A) overpaid and B) going to be cut.

If you want to bring him in, it's a defensible move. Short-sighted, of course, but defensible. But trading picks for him is foolish.

Good points but I have to question a couple things beyond the obvious Berry one. First, how much better would this defense be with better backup safeties if a starter gets injured again? Second, how much of those yards given up were due to the defense getting tired because the offense couldn't get first downs? With good QB play, that second issue would not be an issue anymore.

</post>
12-28-2011, 10:16 AM

If we still draft a QB and Manning is healthy then be all means. I'd love to see us pistol whip the AFC west for the next two years and have our guy step in right after.

On the flip side, I don't want to see us go for broke on Manning, not draft a QB, have him break his neck, and be at square one next April. Even if he's still all pro we have maybe 2-3 years. I'd just rather have a 15 year window with our own QB.

tredadda
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
LMAO

With as epic-ly bad as our offense has been, those numbers are a little skewed. The Ravens defense of 2000 it is not, but with an even decent offense, our defensive numbers would be better.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
The team they held to 13 points in regulation right?

An elite D would have beat the shit out of the Raiders.

Titty Meat
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM

The defense did a great fucking job. We win that game you'd be sucking their dicks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Good points but I have to question a couple things beyond the obvious Berry one. First, how much better would this defense be with better backup safeties if a starter gets injured again? Second, how much of those yards given up were due to the defense getting tired because the offense couldn't get first downs? With good QB play, that second issue would not be an issue anymore.

1) I don't think that the fatigue issue is all that big of a one. Fatigue usually manifests itself in the front seven getting destroyed on running plays, not a safety forgetting to cover a WR over the top after the defense had been on the field for three plays in the last 15 (real life) minutes of the game.

2) Depends on which safety gets injured. Kendrick Lewis, last week aside, has never been anything more than a mediocre starter. There are a ton of backup safeties who could step in and play at near 90% of his level, and perhaps some backups who are better. Lewis would be a tremendous backup, but, IMO, while not a liability in the secondary, he's just a guy. Berry is irreplaceable. When Polamalu was injured two years ago, defensive metrics figured he saved Pitt almost 7 points per game. Berry wasn't at that level yet, but I'd bet his absence cost us in the 4-5 range.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 10:22 AM
The defense did a great fucking job. We win that game you'd be sucking their dicks.

The defense was great, I agree.

But they are not elite yet.

We are probably not going to be truly elite until we find a nose tackle.

Lzen
12-28-2011, 10:25 AM

We held them to about 300 yards, 13 points, and just 13 first downs. And that was with an extra period.

Lzen
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
1) I don't think that the fatigue issue is all that big of a one. Fatigue usually manifests itself in the front seven getting destroyed on running plays, not a safety forgetting to cover a WR over the top after the defense had been on the field for three plays in the last 15 (real life) minutes of the game.

2) Depends on which safety gets injured. Kendrick Lewis, last week aside, has never been anything more than a mediocre starter. There are a ton of backup safeties who could step in and play at near 90% of his level, and perhaps some backups who are better. Lewis would be a tremendous backup, but, IMO, while not a liability in the secondary, he's just a guy. Berry is irreplaceable. When Polamalu was injured two years ago, defensive metrics figured he saved Pitt almost 7 points per game. Berry wasn't at that level yet, but I'd bet his absence cost us in the 4-5 range.

Agree about Berry.
Disagree with your KL analysis.

The Bad Guy
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Berry's absence definitely cost the game last week and the game against Denver.

bevischief
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Exactly.

boogblaster
12-28-2011, 10:30 AM
like to see it .. but it wont happen ......

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Who gives a shit about elite defenses?

Its not needed to win SBs.

Elite QBs are.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
The fact that this neck issue isn't a new injury, that it is a recurring one.

He's one hit away from the end of his career.

There's also the fact that he's 35 years old, and the core of this team has a 7-8 window, while Manning only offers you roughly a 3 year window.

What do you do to back him up and prepare for the future, or for the potential of that career ending injury?

I sign David Carr, is what I do. I also like Ricky Stanzi.

I'm also not opposed, assuming we don't have to use any of our picks to acquire Manning, to use either our first rounder this year or in 2012 on a QBotF.

You want Tannehill? I want Manning?

Why not get both. Tannehill will be dirt cheap in the middle of the first, and we'll probably have traded down once anyway.

Coogs
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Give him 30 mil so Clark doesn't want to spend on guys like Bowe and Carr.

Give the Colts this years first and next years first for him.

Bring in a puppet OC that can work with him.

Change the entire offense so Manning is comfortable and bring in the FA's he wants and he is comfortable with.

Then, when the nerve in his neck flares up in his first preseason game and he doesn't play another down, KC can go 0-16, have a system that doesn't fit, players that don't fit, and we can give the Colts our 2013 number 1 pick in the draft. Brilliant!!!!

You didn't read the OP did you?

Lzen
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Berry's absence definitely cost the game last week and the game against Denver.

I think KC should have won against Denver. They were too slow to recognize that inserting Houston was a much better option than Studabaker. That and Cassel's suckiness.

bevischief
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I doubt that Pioli and Manning could stand to be on the same team.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Who gives a shit about elite defenses?

Its not needed to win SBs.

Elite QBs are.

The 85 bears and the 2000 Ravens approve of this message.

BoneKrusher
12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
But they are not elite yet.

We are probably not going to be truly elite until we find a nose tackle.

and getting Berry back will help.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:35 AM

It would be possible, yep.

Every year as GM, Pioli has picked one area of our team to emphasize over the offseason above the others.

2009, it was the defensive line/passrushers.

2010, offensive line.

2011, wide receivers.

There's no reason he can't attempt to make this team a contender for the upcoming year by hauling in Manning and drafting someone like Tannehill after trading down in the first.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
If we pick 12th just draft Tannehill there, don't fuck around and potentially have someone leapfrog you.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM

The thing is, Daniel Snyder moves are okay at a certain time, for instance if you've been Bill Polian up to that point where you only need a couple more pieces.

FloridaMan88
12-28-2011, 10:38 AM
The amount of money and draft picks that would be needed to get Manning would be better utilized in trading up to get Andrew Luck.

The Chiefs need to make the drafting of a franchise QB the primary focus this offseason, not acquiring a veteran stop-gap. That is all Manning would be at this point... a veteran stop-gap.

BigMeatballDave
I wouldn't trade a warm beer for Manning. If they want to sign him after he's cut, fine.

Pioli isn't going to draft a QB so we may as well go this route.

milkman
I sign David Carr, is what I do. I also like Ricky Stanzi.

I'm also not opposed, assuming we don't have to use any of our picks to acquire Manning, to use either our first rounder this year or in 2012 on a QBotF.

You want Tannehill? I want Manning?

Why not get both. Tannehill will be dirt cheap in the middle of the first, and we'll probably have traded down once anyway.

Give Matt Cassel a stronger arm, and you'd have David Carr.

Buehler445
12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
If we pick 12th just draft Tannehill there, don't fuck around and potentially have someone leapfrog you.

This. If you're after Tannehill. Anything other than a QB, you can talk about it. If your QB is there, take him.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
If we pick 12th just draft Tannehill there, don't **** around and potentially have someone leapfrog you.

I think that's fair.

I just thought the Christian Ponder move sucked, and I think Tannehill at 12 is the same.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Give Matt Cassel a stronger arm, and you'd have David Carr.

Sounds like a great backup QB.

milkman

The 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens weren't nearly as handicapped by the rules that defenses today are.

BigMeatballDave

Hey, join us in today's NFL, wont you?

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't trade a warm beer for Manning. If they want to sign him after he's cut, fine.

Pioli isn't going to draft a QB so we may as well go this route.

and by warm beer I mean Schlitz.

milkman
Sounds like a great backup QB.

And should you lose your starter to a career ending injury, you're once again stuck with mediocrity at QB.

BoneKrusher
The amount of money and draft picks that would be needed to get Manning would be better utilized in trading up to get Andrew Luck.

Yep.
this makes the most sense to me.

Three7s
12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
If we pick 12th just draft Tannehill there, don't **** around and potentially have someone leapfrog you.
I've seen some highlights of Tannehill and it does look like he has all the tools. I just wonder about his experience and the system he played in.

Sofa King
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM

I would love to see this happen. Hell, I'd probably buy a Manning Jersey.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
The 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens weren't nearly as handicapped by the rules that defenses today are.

All the more reason an average quarterback and an elite defense could work.

-King-
12-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Yep.
this makes the most sense to me.

Manning is not going to be traded. If he's playing for another team next year, it's because he got cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
The other thing about the '85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens is the fact that those elite defenses only won the 1 SB each.

Meanwhile, even before the rules handicapped defense, elite QBs were winning multiple SBs.

-King-

Sigh.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
And should you lose your starter to a career ending injury, you're once again stuck with mediocrity at QB.

That's the risk you take.

Nothing prevents us from chasing a franchise QB in 2013.

Three7s
What about the 02 Bucs?

Tytanium

One thing that has blown my mind about Peyton Manning is that without a run game, without a halfway decent defense, without a head coach that's worth a shit, and receivers that shatter limbs in a stiff breeze he, BY HIMSELF, is worth 12 wins and a playoff berth EVERY SEASON. Think about that for a minute.

I would only be worried about his neck at this point. He'll go wherever he'll get fat payday, and any team craving a QB will pay him. The Hunts have done it before, and they can do it again.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Really?

Wouldn't an average quarterback be made better because the rules are in place to help him excel?

Wouldn't an above average defense do a better job of eliminating those defensive handicaps?

Chiefnj2
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Archie Manning laughs at the thought of his son playing in KC.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Really?

Wouldn't an average quarterback be made better because the rules are in place to help him excel?

Wouldn't an above average defense do a better job of eliminating those defensive handicaps?

The rules are set up NOT so that every QB is better an equal amount.

They are set up so that QBs are better an exponential amount based on their talent.

Matt Cassel, thanks to the new rules, goes from 15 to 19, let's say.

Drew Brees goes from 25 to 45.

J Diddy
What about the 02 Bucs?

That's not recent enough. It needs to include Mannings, Brady or Rothlisberger to be recent enough.

Hammock Parties
Archie Manning laughs at the thought of his son playing in KC.

If that's the case, you'd have to think the only place Manning would go is New York.

But, uh, Manning played in fucking Indiana so, there's that.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
What about the 02 Bucs?

There were no elite QBs in the league other than Favre. Manning and Brady were still unknown.

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
The trading period starts after the date he's scheduled to get the $28M.

He'll be cut, or he'll be a Colt.

jAZ
12-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Why can't the Chiefs (or any team) and the Colts jointly negotiate a deal with Peyton that extends his contract a few days allowing them to trade him before the balloon paytment is due? That lets Peyton pre-negotiate his contract, pickhis team, and avoid being stuck with the Colts and Luck/RG3.

bricks
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
He is a real question mark at this point.

Im sure a handful of other teams would want him, but I think that if they play the waiting game its a lose-lose situation for other teams. If the Colts don't pickup his 28 million dollar option, then that'll say a lot about Mannings health. Who is going to pickup Manning if the Colts don't sign him?

If Peyton is healthy, Im sure the Colts will pickup his 28 million dollar option and will keep him.

It's all about his health, but even a clean bill of health doesn't guarantee anything for other teams.

I think the best way to acquire him is through a trade. And even that is risky. If you could workout conditional draft picks for him, then would fair. And it would also be the most reasonable solution to this scenario.

Demonpenz
12-28-2011, 10:57 AM
They don't need to bring in manning, Arrowhead wasn't even blacked out this year, Just keep Orton, get some O-lineman through the draft, shore up the Defensive line, then get some buzz around Berry and Charles coming back.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
There were no elite QBs in the league other than Favre. Manning and Brady were still unknown.

What exactly is your definition of elite because Manning was considered elite in his second season? Which would have been 1999, his first 4000 yard season.

and Brady had already won his first superbowl

tredadda
12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
That's the risk you take.

Nothing prevents us from chasing a franchise QB in 2013.

What's stopping us from doing it this year?

Chiefnj2
I somehow doubt Manning agrees that the Chiefs are 1 QB shy of being a Super Bowl caliber team.

ChiefsCountry
Peyton is going to either:
http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4caf3c0c7f8b9a7c36650200-400-300/jerry-jones.jpg
or
http://www.mothertrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/South_Beach_Neon_Nightlife.jpg

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Tony Romo has had an excellent year, Jerry is not going to go after Manning.

I agree Miami could be a possibility, and their D is actually better than KC's.

ModSocks
12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Peyton is going to either:
http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4caf3c0c7f8b9a7c36650200-400-300/jerry-jones.jpg
or
http://www.mothertrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/South_Beach_Neon_Nightlife.jpg

Lol. Yeah right.

Dallas...sure...

Miami....No Fucking Way.

FloridaMan88
12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
That's not recent enough. It needs to include Mannings, Brady or Rothlisberger to be recent enough.

That was 10 years ago... since then every Super Bowl winner has been led by a big name, franchise-caliber QB.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Miami....No Fucking Way.

Why not?

They have good pieces on offense and a very good D.

Warm weather climate is perfect for Manning, and he gets a chance to beat Brady twice a year.

With the state of NE's D, Manning could make the Dolphins dangerous.

ModSocks
12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Why not?

They have good pieces on offense and a very good D.

Warm weather climate is perfect for Manning, and he gets a chance to beat Brady twice a year.

With the state of NE's D, Manning could make the Dolphins dangerous.

Are you serious?

They don't have good pieces on offense, their front office and Coaching is a ****ing mess. He'd have 1 WR, and that one WR is a freaking headcase. Reggie Bush isn't that great and has a long injury history. They are the 3rd best team in that division.

you honestly think Peyton want's to deal the with Pats twice a year just to make the playoffs?

The Only thing attractive about Miami is the weather (debatable, Humidity sucks) and the latin women.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Miami....No ****ing Way.

Miami has an OL in place, Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall. Their owner loves superstars and Miami is well Miami. Miami might be the best fit for Peyton in all honesty.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
That was 10 years ago... since then every Super Bowl winner has been led by a big name, franchise-caliber QB.02-03 season ?

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
They don't have good pieces on offense,

Brandon Marshall, Davone Bess, Anthony Fasano and Reggie Bush are more than enough for a guy like Peyton Manning.

And quite frankly, with Manning throwing the ball, Brian Fucking Hartline might be productive.

Davone Bess would easily be more productive than Austin Collie in the slot with Manning at QB.

Reerun_KC
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Are you serious?

They don't have good pieces on offense, their front office and Coaching is a ****ing mess. He'd have 1 WR, and that one WR is a freaking headcase. Reggie Bush isn't that great and has a long injury history. They are the 3rd best team in that division.

you honestly think Peyton want's to deal the with Pats twice a year just to make the playoffs?

The Only thing attractive about Miami is the weather (debatable, Humidity sucks) and the latin women.

Sounds like the Chiefs...

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2011, 11:11 AM
What exactly is your definition of elite because Manning was considered elite in his second season? Which would have been 1999, his first 4000 yard season.

and Brady had already won his first superbowl

Manning hadn't won shit at that point, and Brady looked like a fluke having missed the playoffs.

ModSocks
12-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Miami has an OL in place, Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall. Their owner loves superstars and Miami is well Miami. Miami might be the best fit for Peyton in all honesty.

Their Front Office is one of the worst in the league. You think Manning would play for that? You're smoking crack. Brandon Marshall is a ****ing nut job. Reggie Bush is so Over rated.

Their are far better options than Miami.

Peyton Will not go to Miami and I'll bet my signature on it.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Manning hadn't won shit at that point, and Brady looked like a fluke having missed the playoffs.

So then a superbowl doesn't make someone elite?

In that case eli manning, drew brees, and aaron rogers aren't elite?

If that's the case what does make someone elite?

Okie_Apparition
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Peyton to the Jets
Sanchize to the Chiefs
Sanchez/Stanzi/Foles Charles/Richardson

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Common fucking knowledge. One SB win does not make a QB Elite. Rodgers showed greatness during his 1st yr as starter.

Peyton did also, but he also showed an ability to ckoke.
I'm still not certain Eli is an elite QB. Very inconsistent.

Brady came out of nowhere. The Pats didn't make the playoffs the following season
Hence, fluke.

Fat Elvis
12-28-2011, 11:24 AM

CP football experts, you moran.

FloridaMan88
12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
02-03 season ?

8 going on 9 years.

The point is you can only name TWO recent examples of teams that won a Super Bowl with an average, game manager QB and a great defense, the '02 Bucs and the '00 Ravens.

The rest of the recent Super Bowl winners have been led by a franchise-caliber QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
What dumb fucks never mention:

Many people consider the 1985 Bears to be the greatest team of all time, with the greatest defense of all time. What people forget is that the 1986 Bears had a better defense, setting NFL records for fewest points allowed. What they didn’t have was the same level of consistent play from the quarterback position as these other teams did. In spite of one of the most impressively talented units of all time on either side of the ball, they were essentially a one-hit wonder.

The Philadelphia Eagles of the Buddy Ryan era had some of the most dominant defenders of any era. Guys like Reggie White, Jerome Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Brown), Clyde Simmons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Simmons), Seth Joyner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Joyner), Eric Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Allen), Wes Hopkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Hopkins), and Andre Waters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Waters). They led the NFL in both passing and rushing yardage allowed in 1991, the first team to do that in 16 years, and they missed the playoffs. In fact, that team did not win a single playoff game.

From my Franchise QB Treatise of 2009.

vailpass
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
"I would trade our first this year and a conditional next year to make Peyton a Chief on Day One of free agency."

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

You're going to get Peyton Manning for less than Carson Palmer after Indy pays him that $$$$$?

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Their Front Office is one of the worst in the league. You think Manning would play for that? You're smoking crack. Brandon Marshall is a ****ing nut job. Reggie Bush is so Over rated.

Their are far better options than Miami.

Peyton Will not go to Miami and I'll bet my signature on it.

I wouldn't make judgement on their front office until they hire a head coach. Miami is not that much different than Kansas City roster wise.

milkman
12-28-2011, 11:32 AM
What dumb ****s never mention:

Many people consider the 1985 Bears to be the greatest team of all time, with the greatest defense of all time. What people forget is that the 1986 Bears had a better defense, setting NFL records for fewest points allowed. What they didn’t have was the same level of consistent play from the quarterback position as these other teams did. In spite of one of the most impressively talented units of all time on either side of the ball, they were essentially a one-hit wonder.

The Philadelphia Eagles of the Buddy Ryan era had some of the most dominant defenders of any era. Guys like Reggie White, Jerome Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Brown), Clyde Simmons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Simmons), Seth Joyner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Joyner), Eric Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Allen), Wes Hopkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Hopkins), and Andre Waters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Waters). They led the NFL in both passing and rushing yardage allowed in 1991, the first team to do that in 16 years, and they missed the playoffs. In fact, that team did not win a single playoff game.

From my Franchise QB Treatise of 2009.

I bet if they had the greatest defense ever and the greatest O-Line ever, they would have won a SB.

QBs are just window dressing./true fan

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I forgot how fucking stupid Motherfucker was. I'm glad he refreshed me.

Okie_Apparition
12-28-2011, 11:36 AM
The Jets are a dome team now
He'll share New York with brother Eli
He gets to play Brady twice a year -Goodell just JIHP

Chiefnj2
12-28-2011, 11:36 AM
The Jets are a dome team now

?

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I forgot how ****ing stupid Mother****er was. I'm glad he refreshed me.

That hurts my feelings. I've always held you in the highest regard.

Today is a sad day.

J Diddy
12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Common ****ing knowledge. One SB win does not make a QB Elite. Rodgers showed greatness during his 1st yr as starter.

Peyton did also, but he also showed an ability to ckoke.
I'm still not certain Eli is an elite QB. Very inconsistent.

Brady came out of nowhere. The Pats didn't make the playoffs the following season
Hence, fluke.

So did Eli show that same greatness?

Seems to me common knowledge is what is accepted to reinforce someone's position.

FloridaMan88
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
02-03 season ?

8 going on 9 years ago.

The point is you can only name TWO recent examples of Super Bowl winning teams that were led by a dominant defense and an average, game-manager at QB ('02 Bucs and '00 Ravens).

That should tell you that the best path to winning the Super Bowl in today's NFL is on the shoulders of a franchise-caliber QB.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
KC has a better chance of bringing in Hasselback for 2 years.

Bump
12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
everybody would JIMP constantly if Manning came to KC. Don't lie now.

Chiefaholic
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
A healthy Manning with the Killer B's and a healthy Moeaki and Charles would be deadly. Unfortunately, his neck wouldn't last a season behind our O-Line.

bevischief
12-28-2011, 12:04 PM
A healthy Manning with the Killer B's and a healthy Moeaki and Charles would be deadly. Unfortunately, his neck wouldn't last a season behind our O-Line.

That's why they clone him...

Coogs
12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

The same O-line that has not given up a sack the last 2 weeks? Not saying the O-line could not use some overhauling, but if nothing else the last 2 weeks has shown that Cassel is not Orton. And furthermore, Orton is not Manning.

Rasputin
12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
For every two years Chiefs take a retread QB adds up to fail instead of what we could do with a rookie QB for a long lasting road to a happy destiny.

-King-
12-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Manning would make this line look great. Only reason people thought the Colts line was so good us because of Mannings line audibles and defensive play recognition. He steps up to the line and tells his linemen exactly who to block. You don't have to have a world class line if you have a qb that can audible like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

LMAO

Do you have any idea how fast Manning gets the ball out?

I'm guessing the complaints about our line would DISAPPEAR with Manning under center, provided Richardson was replaced.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Our line isn't that horrible people, geez Kyle Fucking Orton has proved that it was mainly Cassel's worthless ass was the problem.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
And, FYI, the Colts had one of the worst right tackles in football starting for them in 2010 (Ryan Diem), a fairly shitty Charlie Johnson at left tackle and Manning still threw for 4,700 yards. The Colts were 4th in points and 1st in passing.

O.city
12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
LMAO

Do you have any idea how fast Manning gets the ball out?

I'm guessing the complaints about our line would DISAPPEAR with Manning under center, provided Richardson was replaced.

This.

Bring in Manning if he is cut, don't give up any picks. Resign Bowe and Carr. Bring in Soliai, Grubbs, and Landry.

Draft Richardson in the first or Tannehill if he is there, Montee Ball in the second if you go Tannehill in the first, or Potter in the second to play RT. They just go BPA and get depth the rest of the way.

Would be a very productive offseason and I would think would put is in a very good spot for next year.

Add the 3 injuries coming back healthy and wow.

Bane
12-28-2011, 12:44 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/20py494.jpg

vailpass
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I love you guys but this thread is good for a few (hundred) laughs.

tredadda
12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
This.

Bring in Manning if he is cut, don't give up any picks. Resign Bowe and Carr. Bring in Soliai, Grubbs, and Landry.

Draft Richardson in the first or Tannehill if he is there, Montee Ball in the second if you go Tannehill in the first, or Potter in the second to play RT. They just go BPA and get depth the rest of the way.

Would be a very productive offseason and I would think would put is in a very good spot for next year.

Add the 3 injuries coming back healthy and wow.

I could live with that because we have our QBOTF with Tannehill who can sit for a couple of years plus we address our biggest weaknesses.

bricks
12-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Fantasy Football Breaking News

Peyton Manning: Colts can't trade Peyton Manning?
Peyton Manning - QB - IND - Dec. 28 - 1:22 pm et
ESPN business analyst Andrew Brandt reports that Peyton Manning's $28 million option bonus is due on March 8, five days before the free agency and trading period opens on March 13.
Brandt concludes that trading Manning will not be an option for the Colts. Brandt is one of the most tuned-in analysts around when it comes to situations like this, but he doesn't take into consideration the possibility that Manning could agree to delay the bonus. Of course, Manning could refuse to postpone the payment and force the Colts' hand if he doesn't want to "keep the seat warm" for Andrew Luck. We'll know whether Indianapolis even has a chance to draft Luck after this weekend's slate of games. Dec. 28 - 1:22 pm et
Source: Andrew Brandt on Twitter

bricks
12-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Rex Ryan says Jets will not pursue Peyton Manning in the offseason
BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan sang Peyton Manning’s praises yet again, but left no doubt that the Jets would not pursue the future Hall of Famer if he becomes available this offseason.

“There’s no way that we’re looking to replace Mark Sanchez,” Ryan said on ESPN radio on Monday. “There’s no doubt… If they were both out there and you were starting a draft, I would take…. Would you take Peyton Manning? Yeah, I’d take Peyton Manning over anybody. I’m not saying that….. I’m not telling that lie. Of course, I would take him. But right now, when you’re looking at our football team and our franchise, obviously we feel great about our quarterback situation. Is he going to get better, he absolutely is. Is he perfect? Not by any stretch of the imagination right now. …. But we think he has the ability to be special."

"Peyton Manning.... I’ve said from Day One that I think he’s the best quarterback in the National Football League," Ryan added. "I even put him over Tom Brady. So, of course, I recognize that Peyton Manning is an unbelievable quarterback. Do I think it’s even a consideration for us? No, I don’t.”

Ryan called a Pro Football talk report that people in the Jets organization have lost confidence in Sanchez as the long-term answer at quarterback “not true.”

“I've said repeatedly, 'This is my guy,'" Ryan said.

Earlier in the day, Ryan also threw his support behind offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who has been criticized the past two days for his pass-heavy gameplan in the loss to the Giants on Saturday.

Two days after the Jets lost control of their playoff fate, Rex Ryan expressed his confidence in maligned offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and struggling quarterback Mark Sanchez.

"I have a huge amount of confidence in both guys," Rex Ryan said on Monday. "There’s no doubt. I’ve stated it over and over my feelings about Mark Sanchez. I’ve said it before. No quarterback’s going to look great when that’s all you do… you fall behind. It wasn’t Mark’s best day by any stretch of the imagination, but we know he’s done it. And he’s been doing it. We have great confidence in him and I have great confidence in him. As far as Brian Schottenheimer is concerned, shoot, we’ll just keep working side-by-side, shoulder-to-shoulder and we’re trying to find a way to beat Miami. I have confidence in him. I have confidence in all our coaches. We have to find a way to get it done.”

Ryan praised the Jets' turnaround in red zone offense this season (they're ranked in the Top 5 for the better part of the season). Gang Green ranks 27th in total offense.

“Statistically, that’s what it’s going to be what it’s going to be,” Ryan said. “When you look at the wins… I think that’s a huge thing when you evaluate coaches. Look at the teams that are winning. That’s the biggest thing…. If you’re evaluating Brian, the season, No. 1 is not over….. In the offseason we emphacized that red-zone offense and I think we’ve done a great job there. I can say this: I don’t know if anybody works as hard as Brian Schottenheimer. And really everybody on our offensive staff…. They work about as hard as anybody. Sometimes the results are there, numbers-wise. Sometimes, they’re not.”

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Sanchez is actually progressing nicely relative to his first two seasons.

24 TD this year.

You won't hear that from the haters, though.

-King-
12-28-2011, 02:25 PM

24 TD this year.

And....Matt Cassel had 27TDs last year...

Sanchez sucks this year. He can post all the TDs he wants, but still doesn't change a fact that he has regressed. His completion % is worse than Tyler Palko's.

doomy3
12-28-2011, 02:27 PM

24 TD this year.

LOL, no. He has been terrible.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

24 TD this year.

They were talking about Sanchez on NBC SportsTalk last night on Versus. The one guy said that Sanchez would have been better off in Denver or Kansas City compared to New York. He said Sanchez handles New York too well ie off the field and would really excel better in a smaller market. Thought that was intresting.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2011, 03:07 PM
And....Matt Cassel had 27TDs last year...

Sanchez sucks this year. He can post all the TDs he wants, but still doesn't change a fact that he has regressed. His completion % is worse than Tyler Palko's.

The difference is that Sanchez has shown improvement every year.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Sanchez sucks this year film doesn't lie.

htismaqe
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM

24 TD this year.

His yards per attempt has dropped every year, he's at 6.4 now and on his way down.

They've done a very good job of trying to protect him because he just flat isn't very good.

The Bad Guy
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM

24 TD this year.

Watch his fucking games sometime.

Chiefnj2
Watch his ****ing games sometime.

Other than the Chiefs of course.

The Bad Guy

He's shown zero improvement this year.

He's regressed as the season went on. He's taken some terrible sacks and made some god awful decisions with the football.

You're just being a fucking troll.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7396032&s=espn

Good listen

hometeam
12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Bringing in Manning is another way to prolong mediocrity. Just like keeping Cassel, or signing Orton and NOT drafting a QB.

Plus, Manning wouldnt sign with this clusterfuck of a team anyway.

HMc
12-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I think that's fair.

I just thought the Christian Ponder move sucked, and I think Tannehill at 12 is the same.

Where do you get these ideas that the team is going to get amazing value by trading down to the 16th (or whatever) from the 12th (or whatever)? We'd get an extra 4th or something that might get as a Div II kicker that doesn't make it to the end of training camp.

And why does no ever acknowledge (besides Hamas in this thread) that by doing so, you've also just purchased extra risk that someone will take your guy at 13, 14 or 15?

If you want Tannehill, and you've got the 12th and 44th picks, then just pick him at 12 if you don't think he'll be there at 44.

tredadda
12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
everybody would JIMP constantly if Manning came to KC. Don't lie now.

JI your P? That's nasty. And many people would love Manning, but not if he costs us one and possibly two firsts, nor if it kept us from drafting a franchise QB.

hometeam
12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
JI your P? That's nasty. And many people would love Manning, but not if he costs us one and possibly two firsts, nor if it kept us from drafting a franchise QB.

This is exactly it in simple terms.

BigMeatballDave
12-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Plus, Manning wouldnt sign with this clusterfuck of a team anyway.

How is this team a clusterfuck?

Good D.

Good receivers.

Hopefully Jc and Moeaki come back the same. I'm only in favor of acquiring Manning as a free agent. I'm not interested in giving up picks for him.

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-28-2011, 09:26 PM

He cant be traded my god the 28mill is due 5 days before the league year starts. Manning is not gonna push the day back (if the colts have the number 1 pick after sunday they will go luck) Manning will be cut on march 9 or have 28million that day.

Dexter Manley
12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Page 12...

I know folks here are desperate to upgrade the QB position, but being desperate never helped anyone...

bricks
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Bringing in Manning is another way to prolong mediocrity. Just like keeping Cassel, or signing Orton and NOT drafting a QB.

Plus, Manning wouldnt sign with this cluster**** of a team anyway.

What are you talking about?

How does bringing in Manning prolong mediocrity?

You do realize that Peyton Manning is one of the best QB's in the league. Right? And that he is light years better than Cassel and Orton.

You do realize that he is the face of Indy, and that Indy is so shit without him. And with him, they won division titles, a superbowl and were playoff contenders every year.

If he can make a shit team like Indy a playoff contender every year than how can he prolong mediocrity on an already mediocre team like the Chiefs? If anything, this Chiefs team with Manning is an instant superbowl contender.

Plus, how do you know that Manning would not sign with Chiefs?

tredadda
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
What are you talking about?

How does bringing in Manning prolong mediocrity?

You do realize that Peyton Manning is one of the best QB's in the league. Right? And that he is light years better than Cassel and Orton.

You do realize that he is the face of Indy, and that Indy is so shit without him. And with him, they won division titles, a superbowl and were playoff contenders every year.

If he can make a shit team like Indy a playoff contender every year than how can he prolong mediocrity on an already mediocre team like the Chiefs? If anything, this Chiefs team with Manning is an instant superbowl contender.

Plus, how do you know that Manning would not sign with Chiefs?

Because he continues the trend KC has followed to a "T" for over 40 years. Who do we have in the wings when a 35 year old Peyton calls it quits? He becomes another in a long line of either back up or end of the road QBs this team has brought in to hopefully make a quick run at a title instead of building for the long haul. If this were a 25 year old Peyton I would be all over it. Sadly it is not. It is the 35 year old variety who is coming off of neck surgery that kept him out for a year. There is no guarantee he will even be half the player he was pre-surgery.

Direckshun
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Because he continues the trend KC has followed to a "T" for over 40 years. Who do we have in the wings when a 35 year old Peyton calls it quits?

Ricky Stanzi, and the draft pick we spend this year on QB.

In my world, at least.

whoman69
12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Where do you get these ideas that the team is going to get amazing value by trading down to the 16th (or whatever) from the 12th (or whatever)? We'd get an extra 4th or something that might get as a Div II kicker that doesn't make it to the end of training camp.

And why does no ever acknowledge (besides Hamas in this thread) that by doing so, you've also just purchased extra risk that someone will take your guy at 13, 14 or 15?

If you want Tannehill, and you've got the 12th and 44th picks, then just pick him at 12 if you don't think he'll be there at 44.

Yeah, that makes sense. Pick a 2nd round talent in the first round.

tredadda
12-28-2011, 11:20 PM

What if that 2nd round talent is snagged up in the 2nd round before our pick comes up? Do we settle for lesser talent because that is where they should be drafted? You take the player that will best help your team win regardless of where he is "projected". I would rather have a 2nd round QB in the first if he will help this team over a 1st round rated o-lineman who does not benefit this team as much.

hometeam
12-28-2011, 11:22 PM
How is this team a cluster****?

Good D.

Good receivers.

Hopefully Jc and Moeaki come back the same. I'm only in favor of acquiring Manning as a free agent. I'm not interested in giving up picks for him.

I was refering to the front office.

As for prolonging mediocrity I dont believe plugging in an ailing aging peyton manning does anything but give us more of the same.

bricks
12-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Because he continues the trend KC has followed to a "T" for over 40 years. Who do we have in the wings when a 35 year old Peyton calls it quits? He becomes another in a long line of either back up or end of the road QBs this team has brought in to hopefully make a quick run at a title instead of building for the long haul. If this were a 25 year old Peyton I would be all over it. Sadly it is not. It is the 35 year old variety who is coming off of neck surgery that kept him out for a year. There is no guarantee he will even be half the player he was pre-surgery.

Yeah but if they did get him, he would easily be the best quarterback this franchise has had since Lenny Dawson. Yeah I understand KC has pretty much patched up the QB position many times. And a lot of teams have great starters at QB, and if there starters go down, they're pretty much screwed. Lots of teams are in that situation. However, this is pro sports and risks are a part of the business. Sometimes, I think you have to take a chance. If he is healthy, you know what you're getting and he would be the perfect compliment to this team. And this is the only year throughout his NFL career where he has got injured. For the most part, Peyton is one of the most durable players throughout the NFL. And he hardly gets touched every time he is under center. If anything, that decreases his chance of getting injured. He is the perfect stopgap solution. It don't get any better than Peyton Manning. He could play another 2-3 years. i don't think his injury will slow him down too much. This guy is the smartest, most talented, and passionate QB I have ever seen. And thats all the Chiefs need. Thats enough time to have your stopgap and address the QB position through the draft at the same time.

I can see that the majority of this fanbase wants to draft/develop and have their own QB for the next 15 years. Could that dream be realistically fulfilled this off-season? Not unless they give a TON to get Andrew Luck in a trade. But I don't see that happening.

And the Luck pick becomes even more valuable especially if RGIII doesn't declare. If Indy gets the #1 pick, which they probably will, they're going to want another successor next to Peyton. And I believe they will cling onto their pick. It just has too much value. Especially knowing that Luck could be their QB for the next 15 years. What most Chiefs fans want is well out of their range. At least this year. So, I think we have to be a little more realistic in terms of our options on how we can address the QB position.

12-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Yeah but if they did get him, he would easily be the best quarterback this franchise has had since Lenny Dawson. Yeah I understand KC has pretty much patched up the QB position many times. And a lot of teams have great starters at QB, and if there starters go down, they're pretty much screwed. Lots of teams are in that situation. However, this is pro sports and risks are a part of the business. Sometimes, I think you have to take a chance. If he is healthy, you know what you're getting and he would be the perfect compliment to this team. And this is the only year throughout his NFL career where he has got injured. For the most part, Peyton is one of the most durable players throughout the NFL. And he hardly gets touched every time he is under center. If anything, that decreases his chance of getting injured. He is the perfect stopgap solution. It don't get any better than Peyton Manning. He could play another 2-3 years. i don't think his injury will slow him down too much. This guy is the smartest, most talented, and passionate QB I have ever seen. And thats all the Chiefs need. Thats enough time to have your stopgap and address the QB position through the draft at the same time.

I can see that the majority of this fanbase wants to draft/develop and have their own QB for the next 15 years. Could that dream be realistically fulfilled this off-season? Not unless they give a TON to get Andrew Luck in a trade. But I don't see that happening.

And the Luck pick becomes even more valuable especially if RGIII doesn't declare. If Indy gets the #1 pick, which they probably will, they're going to want another successor next to Peyton. And I believe they will cling onto their pick. It just has too much value. Especially knowing that Luck could be their QB for the next 15 years. What most Chiefs fans want is well out of their range. At least this year. So, I think we have to be a little more realistic in terms of our options on how we can address the QB position.

You do realize why he has been relatively injury free throughout his career up until now right?

Pasta Little Brioni
12-29-2011, 08:05 AM

It makes perfect sense. If you believe he can develop into an elite QB, you take him. If they don't believe that, they may as well pass altogether or also you run the risk of him getting sniped.

King_Chief_Fan
12-29-2011, 09:51 AM
so...where is Cassel going? What do you all know that I don't know about Cassel's future?

I know we all think his career should be done here, but will it really happen?

Hammock Parties
12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
so...where is Cassel going? What do you all know that I don't know about Cassel's future?

I know we all think his career should be done here, but will it really happen?

Why would they pay him 5m to be a backup with Orton in town?

King_Chief_Fan
12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Why would they pay him 5m to be a backup with Orton in town?

Orton proved last Sunday why he is no longer a Donkey and why he should not be a Chief. He will be gone

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
StL will have the pick and without Luck in the mix letting Manning go makes no sense at all.

Hammock Parties
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Orton proved last Sunday why he is no longer a Donkey and why he should not be a Chief. He will be gone

Overreact much? It was his 2nd start.

There's no reason to get rid of the guy. We're going to need a stopgap.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
STL would be stupid not to pick up Luck...

Bradford is a huge bust already...

Reerun_KC
12-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Overreact much? It was his 2nd start.

There's no reason to get rid of the guy. We're going to need a stopgap.

This should be premium WPI material Clay...

You are on a roll lately....

crazycoffey
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
So if a coach who won a SB with another team can't win with a new team, why do we think a QB would be different?

Dexter Manley
12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
So if a coach who won a SB with another team can't win with a new team, why do we think a QB would be different?

I have three rings with three different QBs...

'cause whether it was Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, or Mark Rypien, the other 44 players dressed for the game didn't matter at all...

crazycoffey
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I am made of vinegar and water, and love dirty pussy

fyp

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
What makes you think Pioli is ready to give up on cassel? His Ego won't let him cut cassel

Dexter Manley
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
fyp

and you call others "douches..."

:shake:

Chiefnj2
His Ego won't let him cut cassel

Link?

crazycoffey
What makes you think Pioli is ready to give up on cassel? His Ego won't let him cut cassel

shut up fatty

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Link?

Don't need a link you will see the start of 2012 season.

Chiefnj2
12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Don't need a link you will see the start of 2012 season.

Just like we'll see Haley get an extension?

crazycoffey
and you call others "douches..."

:shake:

I'm not in the mood for riddles, and your and idiot

ShowtimeSBMVP
Just like we'll see Haley get an extension?

You will see in about 2 years the wrong person was fired.

Chiefnj2
12-29-2011, 10:28 AM
You will see in about 2 years the wrong person was fired.

The right person was fired. The only question was whether it should have been 1 more person in addition to Haley.

Pioli might have a huge ego that stands in the way of team development or he might not, I don't think there is proof that he does. To the contrary:

1. He's let draft picks go, see 2009 draft.
2. He didn't force Haley to keep Gailey for the season.
3. He's brought in and let the coach release numerous free agents.
4. He brought in Kyle Orton. At a time the team was all but mathematically eliminated, he brought in a QB that he had to know was just as good as Cassel. He knew there would be comparisons made immediately between the two. He knew there was a good chance it could create a controversy.
5. He fired his head coach midseason. That's an admission he didn't pick the right man for the job.

Reerun_KC
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
The right person was fired. The only question was whether it should have been 1 more person in addition to Haley.

This!

Pioli should of been fired with him..

Hammock Parties
12-29-2011, 10:36 AM

It may not be Pioli's decision.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

3. Miur, Zorn, and Cassel.

You need to admit Cassel was a HUGE part of the problem. Orton has played 2 games and
passed for 300 yards both times.

Chiefnj2
12-29-2011, 10:39 AM
3. Miur, Zorn, and Cassel.

You need to admit Cassel was a HUGE part of the problem. Orton has played 2 games and
passed for 300 yards both times.

Cassel is a big problem. But in hind-site the 3 main options appeared to be Cassel, Sanchez or Freeman. None of the 3 have shown they are franchise QBs.

Hootie
12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
IF Manning is healthy enough to play up to his previous level, I have no problem with this.

Well no fucking shit?

He's only a top 3 QB of all time. Glad you're on board.

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
STL would be stupid not to pick up Luck...

Bradford is a huge bust already...

That would be a huge mistake.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Cassel is a big problem. But in hind-site the 3 main options appeared to be Cassel, Sanchez or Freeman. None of the 3 have shown they are franchise QBs.

I don't give a shit about any of that.

When we had arguments about the offensive issues, you blamed Haley and I blamed Cassel.

Since both have been removed, the offense improved. However, RZ play selection is still horrible.

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't give a shit about any of that.

When we had arguments about the offensive issues, you blamed Haley and I blamed Cassel.

Since both have been removed, the offense improved. However, RZ play selection is still horrible.

You know the players have to execute too, right?

Okie_Apparition
12-29-2011, 11:32 AM
There's got to be only a very small number of teams that
1) Wants & needs Manning
2) Can make his 28 mil a season salary work for 2-4 years
3) That Manning will be willing to go to

ShowtimeSBMVP
12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
There's got to be only a very small number of teams that
1) Wants & needs Manning
2) Can make his 28 mil a season salary work for 2-4 years
3) That Manning will be willing to go to

StL will have the pick and without Luck in the mix letting Manning go makes no sense at all.

Okie_Apparition
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
In a league desperate for QBs & a new HC & possible new GM in STL. I draft Luck for a third the price of Bradford. Somebody will come calling, too many jobs on the line that a QB could sooth the itch to replace them

edit: I wonder if Bradford would pass a physical by April. Being the #1 pick, you'd have Luck already locked up by draft day

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
You know the players have to execute too, right?

Duh. Its mostly execution, but its up to the OC to show some fucking creativity. Ask anyone here how play selection has been lately.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
That would be a huge mistake.Why?

The Franchise
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
In a league desperate for QBs & a new HC & possible new GM in STL. I draft Luck for a third the price of Bradford. Somebody will come calling, too many jobs on the line that a QB could sooth the itch to replace them

edit: I wonder if Bradford would pass a physical by April. Being the #1 pick, you'd have Luck already locked up by draft day

Trading Bradford would be a HUGE salary cap hit for the Rams.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Bradford would have to restructure his contract.

The Franchise
12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Bradford would have to restructure his contract.

Good luck with that.

bricks
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Now wouldn't it be interesting if Stl got the #1 pick instead of Indy?

If Indy gets it, I think they can keep both Mannning and Luck. The situation for Indy just seems right. Where we have one well established veteran QB mentoring/grooming a young up and comer.

If Stl gets the #1 pick, the situation becomes more controversial. I can't see them keeping both Bradford and Luck. It wouldn't make sense to have a whole boatload of money tied up into two young QBs and have them compete against each other. They're either gonna have to trade the #1 pick, or get rid of Bradford. One or the other.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Good luck with that.

LOL No kidding. I suppose it would depend on how much Bradford wants out of StL.

The Franchise
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Now wouldn't it be interesting if Stl got the #1 pick instead of Indy?

If Indy gets it, I think they can keep both Mannning and Luck. The situation for Indy just seems right. Where we have one well established veteran QB mentoring/grooming a young up and comer.

If Stl gets the #1 pick, the situation becomes more controversial. I can't see them keeping both Bradford and Luck. It wouldn't make sense to have a whole boatload of money tied up into two young QBs and have them compete against each other. They're either gonna have to trade the #1 pick, or get rid of Bradford. One or the other.

If the Rams get the #1 pick.....I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade it to the highest bidder. Cleveland, Washington or Miami would all be willing to give up a large number of picks for Luck.

ChiefsCountry
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Depends on who the Rams hire, if its AJ Smith and Gruden then Bradford is out the door.

whoman69
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
The better scenario is for the Chiefs is if Indy gets the #1 pick. It makes the scenario that Manning leaves more likely, putting one more QB in the mix. If the Colts don't get the #1 they go for RG3 which takes him off the board. The Rams are looking at Blackmon if they don't have the #1. That's one less team looking QB. I don't think the Vikings are looking at QB either since they have 2 young interesting QBs. If we want RG3 we need to trade into Jax spot with perhaps Cassel as bait.

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Duh. Its mostly execution, but its up to the OC to show some ****ing creativity. Ask anyone here how play selection has been lately.

I don't need to ask a soul. I've watched the games. I wondered why in the green bay game we didn't run much in the red zone---until we did. People bitch when they pass and the player drops the ball, then people bitch when we run it and the opposing teams in the backfield to take the hand off.

You want to blame it on the coaches that's fine, blame it on the lack of preparation in the short field. When it's 1st and 10 from the one you should be able to run it in. Especially when given 4 tries.

Speaking of which, what creativity would you like to see? A fucking flea flicker from the 2?

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Why?

Trading a 1st overall selection pick in 2 years would be stupid. Something so idiotic only a chiefs fan would think of.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Trading a 1st overall selection pick in 2 years would be stupid. Something so idiotic only a chiefs fan would think of.

Its not stupid if they think Luck is the next Rodgers/Manning.

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Its not stupid if they think Luck is the next Rodgers/Manning.

I'm pretty sure they thought the same thing about Bradford or they'd have went a different direction.

That being said they'll shop the shit out of that first pick if they get it. QB they've invested in and it got them nfl offensive rookie of the year last year. His stats are similar to eli mannings.

To blow the opportunity to get a couple of first round draft picks among other picks to fill their cupboards by drafting a qb 2 years after they spent the 1 overall pick would be catastrophic.

The Franchise
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM
If the Rams can't find someone to trade down with (which I seriously doubt)....the Rams will select Kalil.

HemiEd
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Yep, and to be totally objective, with what information Pioli had to work with at the time, Cassel probably looked like the least likely to fail. Maybe not the biggest upside, but possibly the highest floor.

ChiefsCountry
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Rams are going to have a new front office and coaching staff, they will not be tied to Sam Bradford if they get the #1 pick.

HemiEd
12-29-2011, 01:45 PM
The better scenario is for the Chiefs is if Indy gets the #1 pick. It makes the scenario that Manning leaves more likely, putting one more QB in the mix. If the Colts don't get the #1 they go for RG3 which takes him off the board. The Rams are looking at Blackmon if they don't have the #1. That's one less team looking QB. I don't think the Vikings are looking at QB either since they have 2 young interesting QBs. If we want RG3 we need to trade into Jax spot with perhaps Cassel as bait.

Do you really think anyone is interested in trading for Cassel?

The Franchise
12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Rams are going to have a new front office and coaching staff, they will not be tied to Sam Bradford if they get the #1 pick.

So they trade Bradford and then completely fuck over their cap situation?

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM

They won't have a new owner and they won't have a new salary cap.

These fantasy ideas are the result of years of mind numbing conditioning that Madden's franchise mode has layed upon the delusional.

Peyton isn't going to be traded. Rams aren't getting rid of Bradford. We can't trade Cassel for a 1st round draft pick and package the 2 to get Luck.

JFC, go to the store and buy a 6 pack of reality.

talastan
12-29-2011, 01:54 PM

ROFL

Rep!! :thumb:

Dexter Manley
12-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Sometimes, it just seems EVERYONE is a friggin illiterate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazycoffey
12-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Sometimes, it just seems EVERYONE is a friggin illiterate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what did he not read?

Chiefnj2
12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
So they trade Bradford and then completely **** over their cap situation?

How is their cap situation screwed over?

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 02:45 PM
The Rams can move Bradford if he agrees to it and a restructure.

Its not rocket science.

BigMeatballDave
12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
How is their cap situation screwed over?

They still owe Bradford a Brink's truck full of cash.

Chiefnj2
12-29-2011, 02:54 PM

I read that there would be less than 2 million difference for the 2012 season if he was traded or on the roster.

Marcellus
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Depends on how you look at it. They have already given him over $30MM of his guaranteed $ including over $17MM before this season.

http://oudaily.com/news/2010/aug/07/sam-bradfords-contract-takes-some-figuring/

J Diddy
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
what did he not read?
No he's right. I have reading problems. Big ones. It's not that I can't read it's the words get jumbled. Takes me a little bit longer to translate.

For instance, when I read your post it came up, "read what he did not?"

Doctors call it the Yodanitis. It's okay though I'm using the force to fix it.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
adbrandt Andrew Brandt
Correct. RT @ JofreyRice re: P. Manning, is it either pay him 28M by 3/8 or release him to FA? In that case trade not possible?

adbrandt Andrew Brandt @
@ richeisen CBA prohibits renegotiations after last game of season until new League Year (3/13).

chiefzilla1501
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Even in the highly unlikely scenario that the Rams move Bradford, the top candidate by a mile for him is the Browns.

Simplicity
01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
So how bout this Brandon Weden? He's a senior correct? and if he is, is anyone sold on him?

crazycoffey
01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
So how bout this Brandon Weden? He's a senior correct? and if he is, is anyone sold on him?

He's 28 years old and I'm not seeing him as very accurate....

evolve27
01-02-2012, 09:47 PM

No thanks.