PDA

View Full Version : Science Gluten Free Whole Grain?

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 10:19 PM
My FIL brought some chex that were whole grain and still Gluten free. How does that work?

Silock
12-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Whole grain rice.

aturnis
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Question is, how much did it cost? $6-7 a box?

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Question is, how much did it cost? $6-7 a box?

Knowing my MIL <$1

Simply Red
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
You know - i'm not sure if you have them there, but if you're into this gluten free thing, whether by choice or no choice, Big Lots has a phenomenal selection priced right.

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 10:43 PM
You know - i'm not sure if you have them there, but if you're into this gluten free thing, whether by choice or no choice, Big Lots has a phenomenal selection priced right.

I'm not gluten intolerant.

NewChief
12-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Neither rice or oats have gluten. Lesser known grains without gluten: amaranth, buckwheat, corn, millet, quinoa, sorghum..

Dexter Manley
12-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not gluten intolerant.

It is actually classified as a disease.

If you eat wheat, barley, or rye, the gluten part of the protein screws up your ability to digest.

The greatest caricature of a gluten diseased guy is Shaggy from Scooby Doo, eats a ton and doesn't digest it.

If you are fat, heavy set, or stocky/buff, you don't have it.

If you are thin, and you eat a lot, and fart a lot, and you are still thin, you probably do...

Jack
12-31-2011, 01:14 PM
It is called Celiac disease and gluten causes problems in the lower intestines with absorption of needed nutrients and possible further medical issues.

It is herditary. My wife has it, her son and granddaughter also.

I am the cook in the family and meal preparation without wheat flour is challenging. I found if mixture of brown rice flour, tapioca flour and cornstarch is great for many recipes calling for thickening agent. I have even made some decent cinnamon rolls using this type of "flour".

To give the flour a gluten type stickiness, add small amounts of xantham or guar gums to the mix. Don't add too much or you've just made a new super bounce ball or a mixture that passes for chewing gum.

It needs to be refrigerated as the oils in brown rice can become rancid.

Thankfully both my wife and I are retired so I don't have to worry about it.