PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Jonathan Martin or Dontari Poe

Sam Hall
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I want RG3 just like everybody else. I've even started several threads about him. However, reality has really set in lately. RG3 won't be available when we pick and Pioli probably wouldn't draft him anyway. It looks like we will pick an OT or NT in the first round. It will probably depend on who they think will be available in the second round.

bricks
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
With the 12th pick in the NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select......

Jonathan Martin, OT. University Of Stanford

Urc Burry
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Dont like the value where we are picking. I would take Trent if he falls...i would trade down to late first for either Poe or Burfict also

Brock
01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Neither.

jd1020
01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I want RG3 just like everybody else. I've even started several threads about him. However, reality has really set in lately. RG3 won't be available when we pick and Pioli probably wouldn't draft him anyway. It looks like we will pick an OT or NT in the first round. It will probably depend on who they think will be available in the second round.

Well if its between who they think will be available in the second round, they are definitely going to pick Martin in the first.

Sam Hall
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Jonathan Martin in the first round and Alameda Ta'amu in the second round.

MoreLemonPledge
01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
What if we sign Matt Flynn and then trade him for Andrew Luck and the Colts first round pick next year?

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2012, 08:45 PM
We'll have to see what's available in FA first then work from there.

Sam Hall
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
What if we sign Matt Flynn and then trade him for Andrew Luck and the Colts first round pick next year?

LMAO

KCrockaholic
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Good question, but because Martin is more polished, I'd go with him. I like Poe, but we already have a Powe on our team and he never got any playing time.

I'd put Martin at RT.

Barry Richardson is one of the worst tackles I've ever seen play. He is a complete waste of space.

Reerun_KC
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Neither.

This...

Best QB avialable... Tired of drafting for mediocrity...

Bowser
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
This...

But then we would end up with a mediocre QB, seeing that Luck and RGIII will be gone at 11. And get the fuck out with that Tannehill shit.

suds79
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
But then we would end up with a mediocre QB, seeing that Luck and RGIII will be gone at 11. And get the **** out with that Tannehill shit.

Honestly though we have no idea how good some of these guys are going to turn out. So who knows what Tennehill will be.

I'm not saying I'm endorsing it. I'm still deciding. But I wouldn't kill the Chiefs if they did such a move.

It's either that or draft some other position (OT, NT) that we need but in the end really doesn't matter because it's a QB league.

Sucks for the season to be over and already not all that excited for the draft.

Sam Hall
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Linebacker and running back seem to be the only other options (besides OT and NT). I love Trent Richardson, but you'd have to be concerned about Charles' health, and I hope they're not.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Trent Richardson. A lot of guys say he won't fall. There are a lot of scenarios where he could fall to us.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
This...

Reaching is oodles of fun! Yay!

suds79
01-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Trent Richardson. A lot of guys say he won't fall. There are a lot of scenarios where he could fall to us.

There's nothing not to like about Trent Richardson. He's awesome.

I just can't get past how easy it is though to draft RBs in the mid to late rounds and based on the fact that their peak years in the NFL are so short.

Do we want to spend that high of a draft pick for 4 years of greatness tops?

beer bacon
01-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Just say no to drafting an OT in the first round.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Honestly though we have no idea how good some of these guys are going to turn out. So who knows what Tennehill will be.

I'm not saying I'm endorsing it. I'm still deciding. But I wouldn't kill the Chiefs if they did such a move.

It's either that or draft some other position (OT, NT) that we need but in the end really doesn't matter because it's a QB league.

Don't forget ILB, RB, or G.

Point is, of our positional needs, only 3(outside of QB) are of justifiable value at the pick.

If it's not a QB(and unless we trade up, it better not be), it should probably be RB, ILB, or NT. Unless or course we can trade down. I could see this being an option if someone needs and OT or WR.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Linebacker and running back seem to be the only other options (besides OT and NT). I love Trent Richardson, but you'd have to be concerned about Charles' health, and I hope they're not.

I don't have to be concerned about Charles health at all. Having those two in the backfield would be fan fucking tastic. As long as they are both here, it ensures that we don't run one or the other into the ground and get good production out of both for years to come. Not to mention we'd finally have a short yardage back, which, to this point hasn't seemed like a concern of Pioli's.

Valiant
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Fuck that.. Only QB's with two syllable are ever worth a damn.. Mann-ing, Bra-dy, Rape-burg-er..shit...

Only QB's with cool last names are worth a damn.. Manning, Brady, Rodgers.. yeah...

Direckshun
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
There are three NTs that are worth our second rounder.

I'd rank them:

1. Dontari Poe, Memphis

2. Josh Chapman, Alabama

3. Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

jd1020
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM

I'd rank them:

1. Dontari Poe, Memphis

2. Josh Chapman, Alabama

A 300lb Chapman really fits Crennel's D better than Ta'amu...

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

I'd rank them:

1. Dontari Poe, Memphis

2. Josh Chapman, Alabama

I actually really like Josh Chapman and don't quite understand why he doesn't get more love. Everyone talks Ta'amu and Poe. Josh plays in the SEC first off, which is a huge plus for him, second watch his tape. His stats aren't all world, but he moves laterally very well, sheds block well, holds double teams and can even penetrate the line. I don't recall seeing him push the pocket, but I also don't watch the guy exclusively.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Agreed. It seems a lot of these guys get their hype from the same place as many hyped up players. "Potential" based off of size.

jd1020
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Agreed.

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

aturnis
01-01-2012, 10:56 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Guy plays bigger than his size. Like I said, he does everything you want him to do well from what I've seen. I don't care about Ta'amu's size, I haven't seen him play much, and didn't focus on him in their bowl game, but his video I've found is pretty lackluster especially given his competition.

Direckshun
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM

He's a good 310, and weight ain't everything anyway.

You want someone to occupy blockers, Chapman is your guy.

He's also got a good floor. He's a sure thing. Poe and Ta'amu could be downright disasters.

jd1020
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Guy plays bigger than his size. Like I said, he does everything you want him to do well from what I've seen. I don't care about Ta'amu's size, I haven't seen him play much, and didn't focus on him in their bowl game, but his video I've found is pretty lackluster especially given his competition.

Both Poe and Ta'amu are far better options than Chapman.

Chapman the smallest of the 3? Check
Chapman with the least amount of tackles? Check
Chapman with the least amount of sacks? Check

Direckshun
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I actually really like Josh Chapman and don't quite understand why he doesn't get more love. Everyone talks Ta'amu and Poe. Josh plays in the SEC first off, which is a huge plus for him, second watch his tape. His stats aren't all world, but he moves laterally very well, sheds block well, holds double teams and can even penetrate the line. I don't recall seeing him push the pocket, but I also don't watch the guy exclusively.

He may be more of a one-gap than a two-gap, though. I don't know, it's hard for me to scout the difference between them.

I'd take Chapman over Ta'amu, though. I like Ta'amu, I just think he's a better 4-3 nose tackle rather than a two-gap 3-4 nose tackle.

Poe I'd take over both. He's got so much upside and is the prototypical nose in our defense.

Direckshun
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Nice job. You know nothing.

jd1020
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Nice job. You know nothing.

Says the person clamoring for a small NT in the 2nd with a consensus 3rd round grade.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Competition. Who is on the other side of the football? Who did Ta'amu get sacks against this year? 1 against Hawaii, .5 Colorado and 2 Washington State. Not impressed.

Given where we can get Chapman in comparison to Poe and Ta'amu, I'll take it. Chapman with Gordon and Powe gives us a healthy middle D.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Says the person clamoring for a small NT in the 2nd with a consensus 3rd round grade.

Gave him a second round grade actually. Didn't mention anything about taking him there.

aturnis
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
How far do you think the fact that Matt Reynolds will be 26yrs old by the start of the 2012 season causes him to drop?

Direckshun
01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
How far do you think the fact that Matt Reynolds will be 26yrs old by the start of the 2012 season causes him to drop?

Not far.

He's pretty talented, and teams that need a tackle need a tackle.

Direckshun
01-02-2012, 12:52 AM

I'm telling you right now, tackles and sacks mean jack and shit for a two-gap NT.

Tackles for loss are the only conceivable stat you could look at on paper to judge a NT, especially a two-gap.

Ta'amu has a pretty shitty anchor for someone you'd expect to be the heart of your DL. I'd take him in the 3rd and be very happy with it, but it'd be a reach high in the 2nd.

Chapman anchors very well, and absorbs blockers very well. He also comes with a damn near zero chance of busting.

Poe I really love. I fear Poe could float into the 1st. If he makes it to our pick, we must select him. Although there's a very real chance he could bust.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Tackles for loss are the only conceivable stat you could look at on paper to judge a NT, especially a two-gap.

Chapman with the lowest tackles for a loss? Check.

Chapman is an undersized NT who gets no push. Just what we need... what we already have.

Bewbies
01-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Chapman with the lowest tackles for a loss? Check.

Chapman is an undersized NT who gets no push. Just what we need... what we already have.

I'm not picking a NT unless they weigh 500 pounds and have 25 sacks and 50 tackles for loss either.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm not picking a NT unless they weigh 500 pounds and have 25 sacks and 50 tackles for loss either.

Ya, because that's what I'm saying...

Chapman is clearly the 3rd best option in this draft at NT and shouldn't even be considered before the 3rd, after Ta'amu and Poe are gone.

okiedokieokoye
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Jonathan Martin. Because I already know a dude named Jonathan Martin. It's destiny.

Bewbies
01-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Chapman is clearly the 3rd best option in this draft at NT and shouldn't even be considered before the 3rd, after Ta'amu and Poe are gone.

I'm sure all 32 franchises would completely agree with this fact.

aturnis
01-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Nobodies talking about taking NT with our #1 here. I agree though. 500lbs 25sacks and 50 tackles sounds pretty good.

aturnis
01-02-2012, 01:42 AM

Nobodies saying to take him before them. If you believe a guy to be better than other believe him to be, let them take the guys you don't want and pick your guy up at good value. Take him in the 3rd and forget about the other two. That is, if you were set on Chapman.

I don't have a problem with Poe perse, but don't quite understand all the hype around Ta'amu is all. He does seem athletic and moves well side to side, but he doesn't seem to anchor overly well and looks like he takes plays off from time to time.

Also didn't stop Baylors offense one bit. Terrance Ganaway ran for 200 yards and five touchdowns. RG3 ran for over 100 and so did another guy. Baylor went for 482yds. and 8TD's on the ground.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Nobodies saying to take him before them.

Actually, thats exactly what Direckshun is saying.

aturnis
01-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Actually, thats exactly what Direckshun is saying.

No, he's said he likes him more. Period. Thinks he's better. HE'D take him before Ta'amu, but he never said he'd take him in the 1st or 2nd round. You're assuming he'd draft Ta'amu at all. He can have Chapman rated as a 2nd round talent ahead of Ta'amu, and realize that the rest of the league values him as a mid third and still pick him with our 3rd rounder while watching someone else take Ta'amu ahead of Chapman.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 01:55 AM

I'd rank them:

1. Dontari Poe, Memphis

2. Josh Chapman, Alabama

2nd round pick specified. Chapman before Ta'amu, but not only ranked before him... excessive space bar before him.

aturnis
01-02-2012, 02:11 AM
[/B]

2nd round pick specified. Chapman before Ta'amu, but not only ranked before him... excessive space bar before him.

I'm telling you that the round specific grade a team gives to a player is not the whole story when it comes to where they will pick that player.

A good GM will do evaluations or "market analysis" and "put their ear to the ground" and try their best to know pretty well where a player is expected to be picked, within 1/2-1/3 of a round. Aside from the occasional WTF pick, and reach ala the Raiders, I'm sure they're pretty damned accurate too.

If the rest of the league is lukewarm to a player that you have a 2nd round grade on, there is no reason to pick him in the second if you firmly believe you can get him in the third.

It's a gamble, it really is, but every single team does it each and every year. Chiefs did it this year with Stanzi. They thought about taking him in the fourth, but thought that if they could jump ahead of Buffalo in the 5th, he'd be theirs. It was a gamble, and they lost initially as possible trades fell through, then the Buffalo pick came and went and what do you know, Stanzi was still on the board. The draft room was said to be ecstatic when Buffalo passed on Stanzi.

The team wanted him, and gambled with where they took him in hopes of getting best possible value for all of their picks. I'd say they've done quite a remarkable job of doing that these last two drafts wouldn't you? They have gotten at the very least, good value out of all of their picks in the last two drafts. The only points to argue being McCluster and Arenas's value and the misses of Bannon and probably Gabe Miller. Possibly Moeaki if you want to write him off to injuries already. They didn't get near the production out of this years draft class, but it was a weaker draft as a whole. Probably why they feel this draft class needs more time to develop.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm telling you that the round specific grade a team gives to a player is not the whole story when it comes to where they will pick that player.

A good GM will do evaluations or "market analysis" and "put their ear to the ground" and try know pretty well exactly where a player is expected to be picked, within 1/2 of a round.

If the rest of the league is lukewarm to a player that you have a 2nd round grade on, there is no reason to pick him in the second if you firmly believe you can get him in the third.

It's a gamble, it really is, but every single team does it each and every year. Chiefs did it this year with Stanzi. They thought about taking him in the fourth, but thought that if they could jump ahead of Buffalo in the 5th, he'd be theirs. It was a gamble, and they lost initially as possible trades fell through, then the Buffalo pick came and went and what do you know, Stanzi was still on the board. The draft room was said to be ecstatic when Buffalo passed on Stanzi.

The team wanted him, and gambled with where they took him in hopes of getting best possible value for all of their picks. I'd say they've done quite a remarkable job of doing that these last two drafts wouldn't you? They have gotten at the very least, good value out of all of their picks in the last two drafts. The only points to argue being McCluster and Arenas's value and the misses of Bannon and probably Gabe Miller. Possibly Moeaki if you want to write him off to injuries already. They didn't get near the production out of this years draft class, but it was a weaker draft as a whole. Probably why they feel this draft class needs more time to develop.

What does any of this have to do with Direckshun saying what you said no one was saying?

I wouldn't be looking at Chapman at all really. He's too small and lacks push.

Poe
Ta'amu
Soliai

or

wtf?????

aturnis
01-02-2012, 02:15 AM
What does any of this have to do with Direckshun saying what you said no one was saying?

Just b/c Direckshun put a 2nd round grade on Chapman doesn't mean he'd pick him there, or even that he'll be picked ahead of Ta'amu. It's a personal ranking.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Just b/c Direckshun put a 2nd round grade on Chapman doesn't mean he'd pick him there, or even that he'll be picked ahead of Ta'amu. It's a personal ranking.

What the flying ****?

He didn't just put a 2nd round grade on him. He stated who was worth our 2nd round pick and then ranked the NT's.

Meaning... If Poe was off the board he would take Chapman over Ta'amu IN THE SECOND ROUND.

aturnis
01-02-2012, 02:16 AM

I wouldn't be looking at Chapman at all really. He's too small and lacks push.

Poe
Ta'amu
Soliai

or

wtf?????

Not every successful NT in the league weighs 350.

jd1020
01-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Not every successful NT in the league weighs 350.

Name the ones that weren't that succeeded for Romeo Crennel.

I can name the ones that did.

Ted Washington and Shaun Rogers. Wilfork only spent a season under Crennel and it was his rookie season. He started 6 games and racked up 27 tackles and 2 sacks... Way more production than Edwards and Gregg.

Guess what all these guys have in common?

aturnis
01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
I don't care. I'm just telling you that looking at Chapman, he does everything well. He doesn't have great pass rush moves, but has a good bullrush. Sheds blocks very easily, moves along the line well, and hold his ground very well.

Also, I've seen Ta'amu pushed backward and to the ground plenty. I've also seen him get up field with a little bit of success against inferior competiton. He didn't do jack in the bowl game against Baylor either. I don't necessarily care what your stats are telling you. I'm basing things off of what I see. Feel free to watch games or video from the net.

Also, a NT who disrupts in the passing game doesn't seem to be high on Romeos list, otherwise he'd have played Gordon and Powe more, and Gregg less.

I don't think this defense has a HUGE problem at NT. Our goal is to stop the run up the middle and let our d-backs and OLB deal with the pass. It has worked pretty damned well for us this season too. This defenses biggest problem all year was the offense and their propensity to give the opponent a short field, especially early on in the season. I believe the Bills average starting field position was in KC territory. Outside of that, the offenses inability to stay on the field was a big problem for the defense.

I also, am not convinced this team is nearly as concerned about NT as we fans. We have no idea what they think of Powe. For all we know, they like him and just think he is one of the guys who could benefit from sitting for a year. He did play well in the preseason and for the majority of the snaps he played in his one active game.

All that said, I would love for us to get Soliai and be done with it. Soliai, Gordon and Powe would be my preference, but we're talking draft here, not FA.

milkshock
01-02-2012, 05:23 AM
I would certainly go offense mainly because I have little confidence in Crennel galvanising the offense. The D will clearly hold its end of the bargain up under Crennel, but we have scored what - 19,13 and 7 in his 3 games in charge. Poor production without doubt.

I would go Richardson (if he fell to us), Martin, Tannehill in that order.

htismaqe
01-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Name the ones that weren't that succeeded for Romeo Crennel.

I can name the ones that did.

Ted Washington and Shaun Rogers. Wilfork only spent a season under Crennel and it was his rookie season. He started 6 games and racked up 27 tackles and 2 sacks... Way more production than Edwards and Gregg.

Guess what all these guys have in common?

I think it's safe to say that Wilfork's success has pretty much nothing to do with Romeo Crennel.