PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Where to get rid of old carpet

cookster50
01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone know where in the KC metro area, preferably close to Lee's Summit, I can get rid of old carpet?

TIA

Bowser
01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
How much? Rent a dumpster?

Chiefnj2
Is there a dead prostitute wrapped in the middle?

WV
Divorce court.

cookster50
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
How much? Rent a dumpster?

Around 1600 square feet. Apparently you can't just toss carpet in the trash anymore and I've been told the dump won't take it.

cookster50
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Is there a dead prostitute wrapped in the middle?

Not yet, do you have one you'd like to donate?

Chiefnj2
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Around 1600 square feet. Apparently you can't just toss carpet in the trash anymore and I've been told the dump won't take it.

Cut it up into smaller sections, place it in contractor grade bags and put it on the curb.

MoreLemonPledge
01-03-2012, 12:11 PM
ASK YOUR MOM, I TOOK CARE OF HER OLD CARPET LAST NIGHT

blaise
01-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Put it on craigslist as "Free carpet on curb. Come and get it." It'll be gone in 3 hours.

bevischief
01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Cut it up into smaller sections, place it in contractor grade bags and put it on the curb.

this.

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Not yet, do you have one you'd like to donate?

Check your PMs.

Bowser
01-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Put it on craigslist as "Free carpet on curb. Come and get it." It'll be gone in 3 hours.

This. Or just put it on the curb with a big sign that says "FREE". Be gone in a day.

Last spring we did some cleaning out/remodeling, and rented a dumpster. They were supposed to pick it up Monday afternoon. Sunday night the thing was full, to the top. Monday morning I go out, and I swear the thing is half full. People will take anything, as long as it is free.

Frazod
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I guess I'm really lucky - the trash guys in my town will take ANYTHING you put out. I've seen an entire unit worth of disgarded carpet put out on numerous occasions. Nothing's ever left.

cookster50
01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
ASK YOUR MOM, I TOOK CARE OF HER OLD CARPET LAST NIGHT

She called and told me about that, sorry to hear about your 2 inch wee wee.

SAUTO
01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
just drive down the road and pitch it out somewhere, those fuckers will do something with it then...

pkane
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
The dump will take it in Lee's Summit. I got rid of all my carpet up there with no problem.

cookster50
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
The dump will take it in Lee's Summit. I got rid of all my carpet up there with no problem.

Excellent, I was told by a friend that is a remodeler that the landfill quit taking carpet. Called them up, sure enough, they take it. I was lied to, just like my mom was lied to by MoreLemonPledge!

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
This. Or just put it on the curb with a big sign that says "FREE". Be gone in a day.

Last spring we did some cleaning out/remodeling, and rented a dumpster. They were supposed to pick it up Monday afternoon. Sunday night the thing was full, to the top. Monday morning I go out, and I swear the thing is half full. People will take anything, as long as it is free.

We live in the central part of our city and have alleys, and people will occasionally dump a couch or something in the alley because they're complete idiots and should die face down in a pool of flaming urine.

Anyway, I came home one time and someone had put a refrigerator in our driveway. Just decided to dump it and make it our problem since they are the type of people who should die face down in a pool of flaming urine. We weren't sure what to do with it, but sure enough, the next day someone else came and took it. Problem solved.

Frazod
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
We live in the central part of our city and have alleys, and people will occasionally dump a couch or something in the alley because they're complete idiots and should die face down in a pool of flaming urine.

Anyway, I came home one time and someone had put a refrigerator in our driveway. Just decided to dump it and make it our problem since they are the type of people who should die face down in a pool of flaming urine. We weren't sure what to do with it, but sure enough, the next day someone else came and took it. Problem solved.

I guess they don't like apricot BMWs. LMAO

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I guess they don't like apricot BMWs. LMAO

One more reason they should die face down in ... well, you know.

We haven't had any dumpers in a long time, perhaps because construction activity is down. Several years back, I came home one time and there was a pickup in our alley and a whole bunch of old televisions in the alley in one of our neighbors' alley area. Something like 8 or 10 televisions, mostly older styles. I jumped out of the car and asked the couple what they were doing, thinking they were in the process of dumping them. Their eyes got wide and they said, "I thought we could get these if they were in the alley."

Now, that neighbor is somewhat elderly and has a really big house that is somewhat packrattish, and it turns out that she was doing a big cleanup. She had all of those TVs in various rooms and had taken them out herself.

Oops.

I apologized and said, "Go for it," and the people loaded them all up and took them.

sedated
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM

it was a drug deal.

blaise
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I guess I'm really lucky - the trash guys in my town will take ANYTHING you put out. I've seen an entire unit worth of disgarded carpet put out on numerous occasions. Nothing's ever left.

Ours will take anything you can put in the bucket, but that's it. They don't even get out of the truck. They just drive up and grab the buckets with a mechanical arm and dump it in the back.

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
it was a drug deal.

Damn freon addicts.

blaise
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I had to do 50 hours community service for illegal dumping when I was like 19.
I was home for college and had gone out drinking one night. My mom wouldn't yell at us if we came home late, she would make us get up at like 7:00 am and do chores and stuff. She told me to go return the bottles and cans to the grocery (this was in NY, and you had to pay a five cent deposit on cans and bottles) So, I went to the grocery, but there was a line and I was hung over so I left. I went to a gravel pit near town where people went to drink. I set the bags down; I figured someone would find them and take them back for the $4 or whatever. The second I set them down a cop pulled up. Then the judge gave me 50 hours community service.
I did the first 40 in a snowstorm and shovelled snow. The last 10 I swept a sidewalk and picked up trash while these old dudes laughed at me and said stuff like, "He's working for the judge."

Caseyguyrr
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
burn it

Okie_Apparition
01-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm sure someone can get high off the tire burning like smoke

TimeForWasp
01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Glue it to the outside of your van. Fold the excess to make floppy ears.

Inspector
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I overheard some folks at work saying that one of the girls here likes to munch on it.

I guess it would need to be shampooed first though.

mlyonsd
01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I was home for college and had gone out drinking one night. My mom wouldn't yell at us if we came home late, she would make us get up at like 7:00 am and do chores and stuff. She told me to go return the bottles and cans to the grocery (this was in NY, and you had to pay a five cent deposit on cans and bottles) So, I went to the grocery, but there was a line and I was hung over so I left. I went to a gravel pit near town where people went to drink. I set the bags down; I figured someone would find them and take them back for the $4 or whatever. The second I set them down a cop pulled up. Then the judge gave me 50 hours community service.
I did the first 40 in a snowstorm and shovelled snow. The last 10 I swept a sidewalk and picked up trash while these old dudes laughed at me and said stuff like, "He's working for the judge."Hooligan.

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I did the first 40 in a snowstorm and shovelled snow. The last 10 I swept a sidewalk and picked up trash while these old dudes laughed at me and said stuff like, "He's working for the judge."

I bet that was a fun thing to tell your mom. Or did you?

tooge
01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
just have her shave it

blaise
01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I bet that was a fun thing to tell your mom. Or did you?

Nope. I never did. He gave me the ticket, I drove back to court from college. The judge let me do the first 40 hours community service over spring break and the last 10 the first week of summer.
One funny thing that happened (though I didn't think so at the time) was the town employees told me to shovel out all the fire hydrants on main street. From the sidewalk to the street, two feet on either side. So, I did like 3. The snow was deep, it took a while. Then, as soon as I was done, they drove past with the plow and shot all the snow from the street up onto the sidewalk and filled all the paths I just made. Then they stopped and laughed at me.
Then they picked me up and we went to lunch.

Frazod
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Ours will take anything you can put in the bucket, but that's it. They don't even get out of the truck. They just drive up and grab the buckets with a mechanical arm and dump it in the back.

I've really been amazed at some of the shit they've taken over the years. Our trash pickup day is Tuesday - people have changed out their carpet over the weekend and left huge rolls of disgarded carpet soaking in the rain, and the trash guys still took it. I don't even want to think about how much one of those must have weighed waterlogged, let alone four or five of them.

Bump
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM

this, if you cut it into 3 or 4 foot sections and tie them up, no way they won't take it

Bump
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
just have her shave it

lol

Al Bundy
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I have heard Longview Lake is good for it.