PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Franchise Tag Carr, Bowe or Orton?

petegz28
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
So you pretty much have to franchise Carr if you can't get a deal worked out. Otherwise dude leaves to get paid and we get nothing out of it. This was a little shortsighted on Pioli's part.

there is a scenario of signing both Carr and Bowe and franchising Orton but again you have to have Carr signed.

So what would you do?

The Dawg
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
We have so much cap room... there is no reason we can't sign all 3 guys if we really want them back.Though if it comes down to it I say Franchise Bowe and go after Carlos Rogers in FA if for some reason we do lose Carr.

vailpass
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Franchise Orton? LMAO

Chiefnj2
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Orton sucks, why would you even consider tagging him?

Deberg_1990
I'm not convinced yet they even try to resign Orton.

DeezNutz
Orton. Because if Cassel goes down, we need to ensure that we have another overpaid backup to accentuate the problem.

petegz28
Orton sucks, why would you even consider tagging him?

So you can cut Cassel and keep Orton from walking for a long term deal?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
WTF IS GOING ON?

Okie_Apparition
They might want to see what direction the team is headed before committing to what would be pretty much their careers

SPchief
WTF would we franchise Orton? You either sign him or let him walk and take the pick.

DeezNutz
So you can cut Cassel and keep Orton from walking for a long term deal?

ROFL

Skyy God
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Quality Pete thread....

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
ROFL

Face the facts, dude...we are probably not drafting a QB that will be worthy of starting this year. That being the case I'd much rather see Orton than Cassel

SPchief
Shit, forgot to look at who started the thread.

DJ's left nut
Honestly....I kinda like the 'franchise Orton' idea, but you absolutely have to get Bowe and Carr re-signed first.

If you can get those 2 on long-term deals, you have a bunch of cap space still (the first year of those deals won't be onerous). There aren't a lot of FAs that are going to be legitimate difference makers; there rarely is.

You know that Orton's not going to want to come back on a short-term deal and that teams are actually likely to give him a pretty nice little contract. You also know that Cassel has become downright cheap, so much so that he could be a viable backup QB.

So keep Cassel and franchise Orton. All it costs is money and if nothing else, you can deal Orton if need be. It gives us a veteran QB that we can win with for at least one more season while grooming a legitimate QBOTF.

We probably want both Carr and Bowe long-term anyway, so why use the franchise tag on either of them? In this case, the best way to utilize our assets may very well be to get those 2 guys signed and then franchise Orton.

TimeForWasp
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Tag Bowe, there will be enough interest in him to get some good picks for him. Sign Carr and Orton

J Diddy
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm gonna say Bowe is the only one worthy of a tag.

vailpass
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
NFL trivia question: Has any player ever been cut by one team and franchise tagged by another in the same season?

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Pete thread!

http://i51.tinypic.com/33l2et2.jpg

Mr. Laz
Honestly....I kinda like the 'franchise Orton' idea,
Isn't the franchise number for QB's like 18 million dollars per?

that's nuts

Sign Carr
Tag Bowe (possible trade purposes?)
sign Orton as a transition type guy
look for a young QB

if Orton is looking for job security and doesn't want a transitional type deal then you move on.

petegz28
Honestly....I kinda like the 'franchise Orton' idea, but you absolutely have to get Bowe and Carr re-signed first.

If you can get those 2 on long-term deals, you have a bunch of cap space still (the first year of those deals won't be onerous). There aren't a lot of FAs that are going to be legitimate difference makers; there rarely is.

You know that Orton's not going to want to come back on a short-term deal and that teams are actually likely to give him a pretty nice little contract. You also know that Cassel has become downright cheap, so much so that he could be a viable backup QB.

So keep Cassel and franchise Orton. All it costs is money and if nothing else, you can deal Orton if need be. It gives us a veteran QB that we can win with for at least one more season while grooming a legitimate QBOTF.

We probably want both Carr and Bowe long-term anyway, so why use the franchise tag on either of them? In this case, the best way to utilize our assets may very well be to get those 2 guys signed and then franchise Orton.

Yes, you have to sign Bowe and Carr. If that can be done you might as well Franchise Orton, cut Cassel, and see what you can get this year or next in the draft.

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Face the facts, dude...we are probably not drafting a QB that will be worthy of starting this year. That being the case I'd much rather see Orton than Cassel

I agree that this particular pile of shit smells better than the pile that's been stinking up Arrowhead for the past three years, but that still doesn't mean that we franchise the freshest turd.

petegz28
Isn't the franchise number QB's like 18 million dollars per?

that's nuts

Sign Carr
look for a young QB

if Orton is looking for job security and doesn't want a transitional type deal then you move on.

Yeah then you're stuck with Cassel though

BossChief
Please Orton, don't leave.

What ever would we do without you?

JFC

If we sign Orton to a 16 million dollar contract, it better be for 4 years.

Okie_Apparition
01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Brady & Manning make over 25 mil a year, franchise Orton?

Mr. Laz
Yeah then you're stuck with Cassel though
we don't ever have to be stuck with cassel, or anyone else, unless we choose to be.

jd1020
Using up the remaining 30mil in cap space after signing Bowe and Carr on Orton seems like a good fucking idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Tag Bowe, there will be enough interest in him to get some good picks for him. Sign Carr and Orton

If we let do anything other than trade Bowe for Luck/RGIII, Pioli needs to be gutted and then fired.

BossChief
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM

They see me trollin....

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Yes, you have to sign Bowe and Carr. If that can be done you might as well Franchise Orton, cut Cassel, and see what you can get this year or next in the draft.

You don't have to franchise Orton. You can probably sign him for 5 mil a year.

Dante84
01-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Isn't the franchise number for QB's like 18 million dollars per?

that's nuts

Sign Carr
look for a young QB

To who? Cassel? A rookie? A second year guy who hasn't played a snap? I think that would be a pretty foolish move for Pioli to make.

We could franchise Orton and trade him... wait, now I'm just being retarted.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
You don't have to franchise Orton. You can probably sign him for 5 mil a year.

I think we don't get him for anything less than 2 for $20 mil

SPchief
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
They see me trollin....

Nobody here would ever troll to get a reaction out of someone.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Isn't the franchise number QB's like 18 million dollars per?

that's nuts

Sign Carr
look for a young QB

But honestly - who gives a !@#$

It's not my money, it's not yours. No, Orton's worth nowhere near $18 million next season, but who cares? He doesn't become a long-term cap problem that way and he can't bail for the best 5-year deal.

If you get both Bowe and Carr signed long-term, you can then use the franchise tag to keep Orton here for a season. That may honestly be as long as we need him for.

It's certainly unconventional, but with a shitload of cap space and the fact that we're probably not going to use even a fraction of it, why not slap the tag on Orton to make sure we still have a viable NFL starting QB next season when we get Charles back, continue to rebuild the O-line and the defense takes another step towards elite? It's especially attractive if we also draft a QB or make a legitimate long-term commitment to Stanzi.

This team, with Bowe and Carr re-signed and Moeaki, Charles and Berry healthy again (not to mention Siler) can absolutely be a dark-horse to do some serious damage in the AFC next season.

That or you can just slap the tag on Bowe and watch Matt Cassel blow another season apart for us.

Don't look at this from an 'equity' standpoint - of course Orton's not worth that kind of coin. Look at it as what is the best for the Chiefs from both a short and long-term standpoint. Getting Bowe/Carr locked up long-term while ensuring Orton stays here short term is perfect for both the short term and long-term pictures.

Ming the Merciless
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
sign bowe or carr and franchise the other one

fuck orton

I guess if it comes down to it, franchise bowe....I wouldnt want our offense to lose that much firepower

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:13 PM
To who? Cassel? A rookie? A second year guy who hasn't played a snap? I think that would be a pretty foolish move for Pioli to make.

We could franchise Orton and trade him... wait, now I'm just being retarted.

As retarded as it would be to franchise Orton, and I do agree you are getting to that point, it may be one of the only ways to dig us out of the hole we are in. I am not sure what the pay difference would be between keeping Cassel and franchising Orton. If it is anywhere close to the same then WTF? Take the better QB and go on.

milkman
01-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm speechless.

Franchise Orton?

Holy fucking shit.

SPchief
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm speechless.

Franchise Orton?

Holy fucking shit.

Pete says hi.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Get real. No one is giving Orton that kind of money.

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
We literally just found this piece of shit off the trash, and now there are some (serious?) debates about franchising him? No. fucking. thanks.

I don't think there is any chance in hell that Orton sees a contract north of $10M per, and that's being very liberal with the guesstimate. He'll be a 2 for 12 type of guy. Period.

FringeNC
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM

We gave Cassel 3 years, 41 million.

BossChief
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Hahaha

Are your posts written for you?

They sure are entertaining.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:17 PM

No but someone will pay him $20 mil for 4 or 5 and he would probably opt for the longer term contract.

Psyko Tek
01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
SIGN CARR!!!!!
priority one

tag Bowe

need to get a real QB
Orton is the best we have had since Green
so sign him front loaded
cut cassel
let stanzi actually compete and see who we can get in the draft

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
No but someone will pay him $20 mil for 4 or 5 and he would probably opt for the longer term contract.

Why? It's not guaranteed. He'll opt for most up-front cash. And 6 would just about do it, I'm sure.

milkman
01-04-2012, 06:19 PM
This bitch has full blown aids and is on her deathbed, so you don't want to fuck her.

But this bitch has herpes and only recently tested positive for the HIV virus, so she's fuckable.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Fine, that's reasonable.

That's basically "competent backup" money.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
We gave Cassel 3 years, 41 million.

That's because Pioli is a colossal moron.

Cassel was coming off a reasonably decent season. Orton isn't.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Why? It's not guaranteed. He'll opt for most up-front cash. And 6 would just about do it, I'm sure.

If so then great!

DJ's left nut
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Alright - but when we're sitting on another $20 million in cap space next season and starting Matt Cassel because Orton took the best 4 year deal he could find, don't say you weren't warned.

The Chiefs have a chance to be very very good next season. A simply average NFL quarterback could be all that it takes.

I'd absolutely overpay for Orton if it meant getting Cassel gone. And if that overpay is only for a year, even better.

It's not a matter of taking Orton over Bowe or Carr - like I said, this is contingent on getting both of those guys signed longterm - it's a matter of taking Orton over Cassel and being willing to overpay in terms of $$ (money that I'm not ever going to see either way) over a short window to make it happen.

I'm not sure why folks are so up in arms about this. They just see "OHMYGOD ORTON AT $18 MILLION?!?!" and turn their brains off. Who gives a shit about how much cash we throw at a player on a 1-yr deal when it ultimately won't impact this team long-term at all?

TimeForWasp
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I saw somewhere that Shannarat has already mentioned interest in Bowe.

ClevelandBronco
01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
When I think Chiefs franchise, I think Orton.

FringeNC
Alright - but when we're sitting on another $20 million in cap space next season and starting Matt Cassel because Orton took the best 4 year deal he could find, don't say you weren't warned.

The Chiefs have a chance to be very very good next season. A simply average NFL quarterback could be all that it takes.

I'd absolutely overpay for Orton if it meant getting Cassel gone. And if that overpay is only for a year, even better.

It's not a matter of taking Orton over Bowe or Carr - like I said, this is contingent on getting both of those guys signed longterm - it's a matter of taking Orton over Cassel and being willing to overpay in terms of $$ (money that I'm not ever going to see either way) over a short window to make it happen.

I'm not sure why folks are so up in arms about this. They just see "OHMYGOD ORTON AT $18 MILLION?!?!" and turn their brains off. Who gives a shit about how much cash we throw at a player on a 1-yr deal when it ultimately won't impact this team long-term at all?

Don't understand. If we cut Cassel, we can sign Orton and not pay him anymore than Cassel is scheduled to make over the next 3 years. If we give Orton the starter's job, we can have him at a reasonable price. The key is not Orton's price, but flushing the Cassel turd.

Extra Point
If we let do anything other than trade Bowe for Luck/RGIII, Pioli needs to be gutted and then fired.

Deez, I beg to Dilfer.

You can't roll without wheels. Bowe may be an Short Block 350, but he's got a Rock Crusher Transmission. Just need the right linkage for steering, is all.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
After what happened this year with Tyler Fucko, there's no way the Chiefs let a good QB walk out the door.

petegz28
What it comes down to basically is how much are you willing to pay to NOT see Cassel starting next year?

TimeForWasp

When I think Broncos running game I think Tebow.

mcaj22
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
After what happened this year with Tyler ****o, there's no way the Chiefs let a good QB walk out the door.

where was the good QB?

Hootie
Sign bowe and carr and transition Orton (if we don't go after flynn)

DeezNutz
The Chiefs have a chance to be very very good next season. A simply average NFL quarterback could be all that it takes to earn a bye and get bounced in the divisional round at home.

FYP.

KC Chiefs: Livin' the dream.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
where was the good QB?

Kyle Orton, dumbshit. He ain't Peyton Manning but at least he can make all the goddamn throws.

FringeNC
After what happened this year with Tyler ****o, there's no way the Chiefs let a good QB walk out the door.

Orton will make low-mid starters' money. Cassel is paid as a starter. If I were Clark Hunt, I'd want to know why we are paying two guys starter money.

ClevelandBronco
When I think Broncos running game I think Tebow.

You fucking well better.

Hammock Parties
Orton will make low-mid starters' money. Cassel is paid as a starter. If I were Clark Hunt, I'd want to know why we are paying two guys starter money.

Because Pioli fucked a stranger in the ass.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:29 PM
where was the good QB?

I think given a full off-season with the team Orton could be good. Not great but good, especially if we are healthy everywhere else. He moved the ball pretty good in his 3 games. Well at least until Bowe went down at Denver. No, we never punched it in but that I put more on Muir and to an extent the O-line because we weren't punching it in with Cassel either.

Just saying, we are at the point that a stop-gap QB is what we need. I don't want Cassel.

FringeNC
01-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Because Pioli ****ed a stranger in the ass.

What we have paid Cassel is a sunk cost. If Orton is better, cut Cassel. Hell, is Cassel even a decent backup?

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Because we collect backup QBs like they're fucking cartoon figures. Magically, they'll join into one stellar signal caller.

ThunderQBs, roll!

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Kyle Orton, dumbshit. He ain't Peyton Manning but at least he can make all the goddamn throws.

Anyone who couldn't see the complete difference in our passing game with Orton is just plain fucking blind. Not saying Orton is Drew Brees but god damn, he was hitting guys actually in stride, making zippy throws and moved the chains. Cassel does that 1-2 games a year.

Deberg_1990
I guess i dont get why some are so high on Orton? Yes, hes a better pure passer than Cassel. Hes just never won very many games.

DeezNutz
I think given a full off-season with the team Orton could be good. Not great but good, especially if we are healthy everywhere else. He moved the ball pretty good in his 3 games. Well at least until Bowe went down at Denver. No, we never punched it in but that I put more on Muir and to an extent the O-line because we weren't punching it in with Cassel either.

Just saying, we are at the point that a stop-gap QB is what we need. I don't want Cassel.

Bridging the gap to what?

Stanzi! /IA homer

Extra Point

Need some aspirin? SP wants to get a big pick, before taking more than the suggested dose. Pick up Flynn, and see what Cassel does. Cassel will want his guaranteed money, Orton will be a pay-to-play, Stanzi and Flynn will be cutting jokes, albeit working their asses off.

Cassel is Grbac, without the playoff prospect.

Having typed this shit out, I think you're on to something. There ain't no pick out there.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
What we have paid Cassel is a sunk cost. If Orton is better, cut Cassel. Hell, is Cassel even a decent backup?

I'd keep Cassel as a backup but no way the Chiefs are going to spend that kind of money on 2 QB's which neither are the long term answer.

Pasta Little Brioni

:spock: Or they could just keep him. Fuck you guys that want him traded.

FringeNC
I guess i dont get why some are so high on Orton? Yes, hes a better pure passer than Cassel. Hes just never won very many games.

Who is high on Orton? He's an average at best NFL QB. Cassel is the worst in the league.

Hammock Parties

I'd say he's an excellent backup.

He can run the offense and let the running game do the heavy lifting without turning it over. That's a perfect backup.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Bridging the gap to what?

Stanzi! /IA homer

What QB are we going to draft this year that's worth taking a 2-14 season? Granted it may take that to get a good QB in the long run.

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 06:34 PM
What QB are we going to draft this year that's worth taking a 2-14 season? Granted it may take that to get a good QB in the long run.

I'm all for signing a vet QB, and I think we could do a lot worse than Orton. But we can get this done without going insane.

Amnorix
01-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Franchise Orton! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd keep Cassel as a backup but no way the Chiefs are going to spend that kind of money on 2 QB's which neither are the long term answer.

No to Cassel, even as a backup. This team needs an enema.

Dave Lane
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM
If they franchise Orton I'll get a sandwich sign that says Fire Pioli and stand out in front of Arrowhead for a week.

FringeNC
01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm all for signing a vet QB, and I think we could do a lot worse than Orton. But we can get this done without going insane.

Yeah, it's really easy. We cut Cassel, and sign Orton.

petegz28

As I said earlier, if we can then great. But if it comes down to it would you throw out the franchise tag or pay Cassel?

Hammock Parties
Franchise Orton! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Would you rather have Orton or Cassel? Answer truthfully, or the Ravens will bounce the Patriots from the playoffs again.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:40 PM
As I said earlier, if we can then great. But if it comes down to it would you throw out the franchise tag or pay Cassel?

You don't have to use the tag on Orton. It's not even worth discussing.

Cassel makes 5m this year, BTW.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I am not saying it's an odds-on favorite but I'd shit if we signed Orton and the mother fucker took us a game or two deep in the playoffs.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:43 PM
You don't have to use the tag on Orton. It's not even worth discussing.

Cassel makes 5m this year, BTW.

Ok well that's quite a spread. I thought he was due more than that. If that's right then I think he is due around $16 mil for the next 2 years. I think you could get Orton signed for 2 years at $16 mil. Then if he proves himself he either becomes great trade bait, possibly, or at the least has earned the right to a bigger contract with us or someone else if we move on.

The dude does have to basically "re-earn" his stripes as a starter and I don't see anyone signing him to a long term contract as a starter.

BossChief
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
We should offer Orton a reas

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
No to Cassel, even as a backup. This team needs an enema.

I'm with you there but at the right price, Cassel is probably not the worst we could do at backup (see Tyler Palko). I don't think Cassel would stay as a backup though. To much of a chance at lockerroom distractions and such.

scho63
01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
So you pretty much have to franchise Carr if you can't get a deal worked out. Otherwise dude leaves to get paid and we get nothing out of it. This was a little shortsighted on Pioli's part.

there is a scenario of signing both Carr and Bowe and franchising Orton but again you have to have Carr signed.

So what would you do?

ROFL

Call the guys with the butterfly nets and straight jackets to take you away after that crazy comment...

htismaqe
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
We should offer Orton a reas

How much is a reas worth?

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I think you could get Orton signed for 2 years at $16 mil.

ROFL

No one is giving Orton 8 mil per year.

http://sportsfeens.com/nfl-quarterback-salaries/nfl-quarterback-salaries/

Aaron Rodgers made 8 mil this year.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
ROFL

I would think that's due to either a pre-super bowl contract or the way his contract is structured. You know good and damn well Rodgers is going to be making well over $8 mil a year here soon.

When you look at those salaries, $8 mil a year for a starter is not out of the realm for Orton.

Dave Lane
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM

I'd give a reeses pieces

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
ROFL

Tony Romo made $11.2 mil and sorry, some might say I'm on crack but I don't think he is any better than Orton when it comes down to it. I've never understood the man-crush with Romo but I have never thought he was anything better than slightly above average.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Tony Romo made $11.2 mil and sorry, some might say I'm on crack but I don't think he is any better than Orton when it comes down to it. I've never understood the man-crush with Romo but I have never thought he was anything better than slightly above average.

I agree that Romo is shit, but I don't agree with giving Orton 8mil.

Direckshun
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I think we should franchise pete so as to ensure he never leaves us for Arrowhead Pride.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree that Romo is shit, but I don't agree with giving Orton 8mil.

With the mandatory spending and the rookie adjustments, etc., is $8 mil really that much? I personally think Orton is worth $5 at best but given the league and the fact you do have fugtards like Romo making $11 mil I don't think $8 mil is too much of a reach though it is a reach.

FringeNC
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
With the mandatory spending and the rookie adjustments, etc., is $8 mil really that much? I personally think Orton is worth $5 at best but given the league and the fact you do have fugtards like Romo making $11 mil I don't think $8 mil is too much of a reach though it is a reach.

Romo is in a completely different league than Orton. He's a career 97 rating QB.

petegz28
01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Romo is in a completely different league than Orton. He's a career 97 rating QB.

Romo is a douche

go bo
01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
If they franchise Orton I'll get a sandwich sign that says Fire Pioli and stand out in front of Arrowhead for a week.

only a week?

BossChief
01-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Damn phone.

I was gonna say...

We should offer a 3 year deal to Orton that makes sense and if he takes it, great. If not, that's ok.

It means that Cassel is gonna be the starter, but would be on his last legs and would be on a somewhat short leash.

If Cassel were to start and continue to fail, the new HC WILL bench him by midseason.

Thats exciting for us Iowa fans, but it would also be exciting for the whole fan base because even if Stanzi fails (which he could) we would be done with Cassel and we could very likely be on the verge of having a real shot at drafting a quarterback this team and it's fans deserve.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
FYP.

KC Chiefs: Livin' the dream.

So if you don't get to go back door on Scarlett Johansson, you won't even take a hummer from Kristen Wiig?

Aaron Rodgers ain't walking through that door. Tom Brady ain't walking through that door.

The thing about superstar quarterbacks is that you can't just conjure one from air. You have to hunt for them and they don't turn up easily. In the meantime, you try to find a solid quarterback that can you win some games here and there (and no, I don't mean any of this 'don't lose you games' bullshit that Peterson and now Pioli seem to favor).

Kevin Kolb got a $10 signing bonus and a $63 million deal with less of a track record than Orton. Fitzpatrick grabbed himself a $60 million deal. Hell, Hasselback got 3 yrs/$20 million and he's never been any better than Orton, nevermind the fact that he's ancient and can't stay healthy.

Have you seen the state of QBing in this league? Orton will absolutely get something like 4/$40, IMO. You're nuts if you think he's going to have to settle for some deal that guarantees him $6 million. Shit, backup quarterbacks like David Carr were getting $2 million a couple years ago and that was before the new CBA shifted money from the rookie pool to the veterans (and increased required spending).

If we don't have Orton under center next season, the odds are about 3-1 that we have someone far worse. That being the case - who gives a shit about how much he costs next year? Make it happen, get your hummer from a 6 and worry about how you're going to 2-hole a supermodel when that opportunity arises. Nothing about franchising Orton would hurt this franchise long-term and it would help us immensely next season.

If I thought that Pioli would pursue Brees with the money, I'd agree with you. But that money's just gonna sit there dead - why not use it on a guy that makes us better and doesn't hamstring us in any capacity going forward?

DJ's left nut
01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't understand. If we cut Cassel, we can sign Orton and not pay him anymore than Cassel is scheduled to make over the next 3 years. If we give Orton the starter's job, we can have him at a reasonable price. The key is not Orton's price, but flushing the Cassel turd.

Probably not; Cassel is scheduled to make something like $18 million over the next 3 seasons (frontloaded deal); I think Orton will do much better than that given the new CBA and his performance the 2 years prior to this one.

Besides - Orton, of all 3 of the guys we're discussing, is most likely to want to test the market. He's going to be the toughest early sign. That being the case, do you really want to play to the whims of the market, hope he comes back and get stuck with another year of Cassel if he doesn't?

No thanks. Like I said - one year of overpaying is simply inconsequential. I'd just as soon see us throw that money at Orton, ensure that he's staying here and then have a legitimate NFL starting QB for a season while we continue the hunt for the elusive QBOTF.

O.city
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The thought of Luck as a Chief is just too much for me to bear.

Just give up picks and go get him.

Resign Carr, Tag Bowe.

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM
So if you don't get to go back door on Scarlett Johansson, you won't even take a hummer from Kristen Wiig?

Aaron Rodgers ain't walking through that door. Tom Brady ain't walking through that door.

The thing about superstar quarterbacks is that you can't just conjure one from air. You have to hunt for them and they don't turn up easily. In the meantime, you try to find a solid quarterback that can you win some games here and there (and no, I don't mean any of this 'don't lose you games' bullshit that Peterson and now Pioli seem to favor).

Kevin Kolb got a $10 signing bonus and a $63 million deal with less of a track record than Orton. Fitzpatrick grabbed himself a $60 million deal. Hell, Hasselback got 3 yrs/$20 million and he's never been any better than Orton, nevermind the fact that he's ancient and can't stay healthy.

Have you seen the state of QBing in this league? Orton will absolutely get something like 4/$40, IMO. You're nuts if you think he's going to have to settle for some deal that guarantees him $6 million. Shit, backup quarterbacks like David Carr were getting $2 million a couple years ago and that was before the new CBA shifted money from the rookie pool to the veterans (and increased required spending).

If we don't have Orton under center next season, the odds are about 3-1 that we have someone far worse. That being the case - who gives a shit about how much he costs next year? Make it happen, get your hummer from a 6 and worry about how you're going to 2-hole a supermodel when that opportunity arises. Nothing about franchising Orton would hurt this franchise long-term and it would help us immensely next season.

If I thought that Pioli would pursue Brees with the money, I'd agree with you. But that money's just gonna sit there dead - why not use it on a guy that makes us better and doesn't hamstring us in any capacity going forward?

We don't disagree about re-signing Orton, but we disagree significantly in terms of how much it will cost to make this happen. We'll see, I guess.

Quesadilla Joe
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Denver is going to be in the market for a corner. Hopefully you tag Bowe and we snag Carr.

Mr. Plow
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Franchise Orton? LMAO

LMAO

Hammock Parties
01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Kyle "Franchise" Orton

O.city
01-04-2012, 08:08 PM
klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
Thank God for today.. I had a successful surgery! #Blessed��
18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
I love my Support system..moms and my nurse @Codi_RN been taking great care of me

klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
Minor Setback for a Major Comeback as my bro @Stuntman1429 wud say
7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

didn't wanna make a new thread for this but did he get hurt in Denver?

btlook1
01-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Franchise Orton? LMAO

I like Orton but to franchise him would be nuts!!! He's a journeymen QB that has played a few good games this year....nothing more!!!

Reerun_KC
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Franchise Orton?

Pete has gone full GoFraud...

Mr. Plow
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Is Richardson under contract? Do we need to throw him into the franchise tag mix?

DeezNutz
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
I like Orton but to franchise him would be nuts!!! He's a journeymen QB that has played a few good games this year....nothing more!!!

Take out "journeyman" and you've described Cassel before coming to KC.

SAUTO
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
What the fuck is going on around here?

Who gives a fuck about orton? If we can resign him fine.

We absofuckinglutely CANNOT LOSE BOWE OR CARR.

And we shouldn't
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
If the 30% deal means we can't sign carr prior to march 13 and he will be on the market then we have to get bowe done and franchise carr
Posted via Mobile Device

durtyrute
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
If these are my only options, then I would have to franchise Orton. There is no way in fucking hell I'm picking Cassel over him, so that's one. Two I'm not letting Bowe or Carr go. So if I can't sign all three and have to franchise one. Then it's him because I'm locking Bowe and Carr up.

durtyrute
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
Thank God for today.. I had a successful surgery! #Blessed��
18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
I love my Support system..moms and my nurse @Codi_RN been taking great care of me

klewis23 Kendrick Lewis
Minor Setback for a Major Comeback as my bro @Stuntman1429 wud say
7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

didn't wanna make a new thread for this but did he get hurt in Denver?

He was hurt a while back maybe they just put off the surgery.

Mr. Plow
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
If these are my only options, then I would have to franchise Orton. There is no way in fucking hell I'm picking Cassel over him, so that's one. Two I'm not letting Bowe or Carr go. So if I can't sign all three and have to franchise one. Then it's him because I'm locking Bowe and Carr up.

Again, why in the fuck would you franchise Orton? If you can sign him...fine. If you can't, oh well. But if we are in the "franchise Orton" phase of Pioli's plan.....WE ARE FUCKED.

durtyrute
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Again, why in the fuck would you franchise Orton? If you can sign him...fine. If you can't, oh well. But if we are in the "franchise Orton" phase of Pioli's plan.....WE ARE FUCKED.

First thing, I'm locking up Bowe and Carr then if all I can do is franchise Orton then I guess I have to do that because I AM NOT BRINGING CASSEL BACK. If we can just sign all three let's get it done and move on.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2012, 08:49 PM

By very very good I assume that you mean 11-5 and a first round playoff ass kicking as the absolute ceiling.

J Diddy
01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I think it's more probable that we tag First Down Elvis than Orton.

the Talking Can
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
i'm going to pretend this thread didn't happen

SAUTO
01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
i'm going to pretend this thread didn't happen

Best post of the thread
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I think it's more probable that we tag First Down Elvis than Orton.

Stevie was franchised years ago
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie
01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Romo is an elite QB and is light years better than Orton...does anyone even watch Romo play? Honestly?

I don't even think the idiots in dallas watch him play, either.

FringeNC
01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Romo is an elite QB and is light years better than Orton...does anyone even watch Romo play? Honestly?

I don't even think the idiots in dallas watch him play, either.

Yep.

Hootie
01-04-2012, 09:18 PM
That said...we better have Orton here over cassel if those are my choices.

Orton can at least win us a playoff game...baby steps.

Dante84
01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Orton or Cassel .... Its like deciding between wanting the clap or AIDS.

HemiEd
01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Franchise Orton? LMAO

That was to get the thread opened, I guess. Because there has been a thread about this subject for the other two.

Hootie
01-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Orton or Cassel .... Its like deciding between wanting the clap or AIDS.

with Orton being the clap and the clap goes away with a little penicillin

Dante84
01-04-2012, 10:03 PM
with Orton being the clap and the clap goes away with a little penicillin

penis illin'

trndobrd
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Pay Carr. Pay Bowe. Cut Cassel. Pay Orton $4m. Put the franchise tag on Todd Haley's old office couch and set it out by the street.

NJChiefsFan
01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I came in here expecting the Orton suggestion to get murdered and somehow there are actual people supporting it. It makes you understand why people that get beat don't leave their lover. They just don't know any better.

ROYC75
01-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Tag Orton ?

Seriously ?

Why don't we brand Cassel, with a cattle iron, FAILURE!

ROYC75
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Denver is going to be in the market for a corner. Hopefully you tag Bowe and we snag Carr.

We will give you Orton & Cassell for Von Miller. Just a simple 2 for 1 trade. We want Tebow to have some QB competition in camp.

kcbubb
01-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I came in here expecting the Orton suggestion to get murdered and somehow there are actual people supporting it. It makes you understand why people that get beat don't leave their lover. They just don't know any better.

ROFL

kcbubb
01-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Franchise tag for Orton is a joke. I think you argue for the transition tag but I still think that is too much money for Orton.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Carl Peterson had this franchise's fanbase zeroed in like Carlos Hathcock on an NVA officer.

TimeForWasp
01-05-2012, 04:45 AM
:spock: Or they could just keep him. **** you guys that want him traded.

I actually don't want him traded, but don't you get two firsts plus for a franchise guy? I would trade him for that.

Dexter Manley
01-05-2012, 05:09 AM
None, nobody worth it...

Reerun_KC
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
That said...we better have Orton here over cassel if those are my choices.

Orton can at least win us a playoff game...baby steps.

Not sure about that...

Micjones
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Hopefully all three are back next season.
I'd prefer Orton to Cassel.

I know there are mixed opinions on Bowe in Chiefs kingdom, but Baldwin hasn't shown enough for me to believe he'll be a major contributor next year. This is not the time to part with your #1.

Carr is...well...every bit as good as Flowers and deserves a similar contract.

Bowe and Carr are homegrown players so bringing them back sends the right message to stars of the future like Houston, Bailey and Baldwin.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Hopefully all three are back next season.
I'd prefer Orton to Cassel.

I know there are mixed opinions on Bowe in Chiefs kingdom, but Baldwin hasn't shown enough for me to believe he'll be a major contributor next year. This is not the time to part with your #1.

Carr is...well...every bit as good as Flowers and deserves a similar contract.

Bowe and Carr are homegrown players so bringing them back sends the right message to stars of the future like Houston, Bailey and Baldwin.

Good post. Agree with it almost 100%.

boogblaster
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Carr ... and prolly see Casshole till whoever coaches next year cant stand it anymore .. so keep Orton ......

NJChiefsFan
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Carr ... and prolly see Casshole till whoever coaches next year cant stand it anymore .. so keep Orton ......

Its not as simple as that. Orton isn't going to come back to compete if he can get a clear starting job somewhere else.