PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' Kendrick Lewis Undergoes Shoulder Surgery

aturnis
01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Chiefs' Kendrick Lewis Undergoes Shoulder Surgery (http://mobile.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/5/2684021/kansas-city-chiefs-kendrick-lewis-injury)
by Joel Thorman on Jan 5, 2012 8:01 AM CST

Kendrick Lewis surprised me a little bit when he tweeted last night: "Thank God for today.. I had a successful surgery!"

Surgery? What surgery?

Nick Wright of 610 Sports, who was probably the only one breaking Chiefs news at 1:30 a.m. this morning, reports the surgery is on his shoulder. He suffered the injury last week against the Denver Broncos and had surgery on Wednesday.

Lewis also tweeted out what S Eric Berry did after his injury -- "Minor Setback for a Major Comeback".

We don't know exactly what kind of surgery it was (and even then I'm no doctor) or what the recovery time is like but it is encouraging that this came after the season which means he has plenty of time to recover. The Chiefs will have their offseason workout program later in March and then some OTAs as the spring turns into summer. Before long, it'll be training camp.

aturnis
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Have something to do with his odd and ineffective tackling style this season? I know he was always a liability in run defense, but maybe not as bad as he's been this season?

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Have something to do with his odd and ineffective tackling style this season? I know he was always a liability in run defense, but maybe not as bad as he's been this season?

I'm sure it does. He tackles by putting his shoulder on the runner's knee. Only a matter of time before he gets hurt.

Fritz88
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
He had a decent year.

suds79
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
He had a decent year.

Decent? Man you're tough to please. I thought he really stepped up after Eric went down this year.

Great value given where he was drafted.

talastan
01-05-2012, 10:14 AM
He had a decent year.

He had an excellent year considering he was the only guy covering the field half the time. Sabby Whatshisnamey and McGraw need to be shown the door after this season. We need some legitimate Safety depth.

O.city
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
He had an excellent year considering he was the only guy covering the field half the time. Sabby Whatshisnamey and McGraw need to be shown the door after this season. We need some legitimate Safety depth.

This cracks me up.

We don't need great players for depth. Yeah Sabby and Mcgraw need to be upgraded, but people act like our backups should be all pros.

We lost an all pro safety for the season. Of course there is gonna be a dropoff.

We need solid depth everywhere. If we had safety depth that was on about he level that say Allen bailey is on the dl that would be fine.

Micjones
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Hopefully the kid's recovery goes smoothly.
He had a very impressive sophomore campaign.

DBOSHO
01-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I know he makes mistakes but he might be the steal of that draft. Hes a very impressive player.

Micjones
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
This cracks me up.

We don't need great players for depth. Yeah Sabby and Mcgraw need to be upgraded, but people act like our backups should be all pros.

We lost an all pro safety for the season. Of course there is gonna be a dropoff.

We need solid depth everywhere. If we had safety depth that was on about he level that say Allen bailey is on the dl that would be fine.

We don't need an all-pro backup at the Safety spot, but a Donte Whitner would've been nice.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I think Lewis is a GREAT complimentary player. Of course he's gonna struggle without Berry back there, but WITH Berry, him, Carr, Flowers, and Arenas (and I think Brown has shown flashes too!) we've got a damn good defensive secondary.

Micjones
01-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I think Lewis is a GREAT complimentary player. Of course he's gonna struggle without Berry back there, but WITH Berry, him, Carr, Flowers, and Arenas (and I think Brown has shown flashes too!) we've got a damn good defensive secondary.

Emmitt Thomas needs a raise.

And don't forget about Travis Daniels. He's quietly been a solid member of that secondary as well.

Sofa King
01-05-2012, 10:28 AM
The guy can create turnovers. He's proven that.

That kind of game changer deserves his spot.

DaKCMan AP
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I saw Lewis's tweet this morning and was wondering what it was all about.

lcarus
01-05-2012, 10:30 AM
If Berry is healthy and Lewis is the weakest link in our secondary, we're in damn good shape in that department.

boogblaster
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
he was decent this year .. we need him ......

Deberg_1990
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM

With everyone healthy, thats as good as it gets in the NFL.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
This cracks me up.

Quality depth means you have a backup who isn't necessarily an all-pro, but looks like he has some business being on the field.

Piscitelli is an absolute embarrassment. He always seems to be right around a screw-up on special teams and he's complete garbage in coverage.

Trust me, I get what you're saying. But the Chiefs have ignored depth to the point where guys like Palko and Piscitelli, who have no business being in the league period, are not only serving backup roles, but being forced to start as a result of injury.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Quality depth means you have a backup who isn't necessarily an all-pro, but looks like he has some business being on the field.

Piscitelli is an absolute embarrassment. He always seems to be right around a screw-up on special teams and he's complete garbage in coverage.

Trust me, I get what you're saying. But the Chiefs have ignored depth to the point where guys like Palko and Piscitelli, who have no business being in the league period, are not only serving backup roles, but being forced to start as a result of injury.

Piscy actually played ok this last game. That might have more to do with how bad the Donks' WRs suck though...

penguinz
01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Nothing to worry about. Most likely a repair of a torn cuff.

talastan
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
This cracks me up.

You are correct with the exception that behind Lewis on the depth chart, it wasn't a slight dropoff, it was a bottomless chasm of despair and fail.

Canofbier
01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
You are correct with the exception that behind Lewis on the depth chart, it wasn't a slight dropoff, it was a bottomless chasm of despair and fail.

I dunno, I felt like McGraw was a serviceable backup this season. He's not the most athletic, but he seems to know his way around the field and makes a play here or there.

talastan
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I dunno, I felt like McGraw was a serviceable backup this season. He's not the most athletic, but he seems to know his way around the field and makes a play here or there.

The only issue I had with McGraw this season was that fact that he wasn't on the field frequently. He had some injury bug thingy going this season. I think it has more to do with his age which is why we need to look another direction.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
The only issue I had with McGraw this season was that fact that he wasn't on the field frequently. He had some injury bug thingy going this season. I think it has more to do with his age which is why we need to look another direction.

He came into the league in 2002, he's really not that old.

Ceej
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
So, which group is better? Our secondary or linebacking group?

I guess if Berry comes back to his pre-injury form it'd be the secondary. But, with DJ evolving and Houston/Hali rushing the QB they'd make a great case.

It feels good to have a debate about a talented, well-rounded group.

I'm giddy.

Frosty
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Piscy actually played ok this last game. That might have more to do with how bad the Donks' WRs suck though...

Sabby became less of a liabilty as the season progressed (note - I am not saying he was good or even adequate, just less terrible). I said before the season that Thomas may help Sabby a lot as he never had consistent coaching in the pros before, getting caught up in the Tampa Bay regime change. He was a great safety for us at OS and was a 2nd round pick. I think he has the physical skills to be a good safety; his deficiencies are mental. Good coaching may someday overcome that.

That said, I hope they severely upgrade both backup safety positions.

HemiEd
01-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Slow *CLAP* for Herm Fucking Edwards

O.city
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Lewis is a good solid player.

There are some decent safeties in free agency this year that we should look at.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Lewis is an ascending player. Emmitt Thomas has done a phenomenal job coaching those guys.

whoman69
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM
He came into the league in 2002, he's really not that old.

For a secondary player to be in his 30s in this league is old, especially considering he was never that fast to begin with.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
For a secondary player to be in his 30s in this league is old, especially considering he was never that fast to begin with.

He's never been a full-time starter though so the wear and tear isn't there.

O.city
01-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I like Lewis alot, but I'd also rather have Berry playing FS with someone like Laron Landry or say a Mark Barron playing SS.

Sannyasi
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I like Lewis alot, but I'd also rather have Berry playing FS with someone like Laron Landry or say a Mark Barron playing SS.

I wanted Berry at FS originally as well, but he was a monster run defender last year. I'm okay with him at SS as of right now.

dallaschiefsfan
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Yeah...I'm wondering if we couldn't convert Brown into a hybrid guy for both Safety depth and for dime play. It seems like we could stretch Brown, Daniels and Arenas into more than just the backup (nickel/dime) corners. This all assumes we re-sign Carr, of course.

whoman69
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
He's never been a full-time starter though so the wear and tear isn't there.

Mother nature still takes away some of the speed after 30. He has had quite a bit of playing time going back to his last days in Detroit. I'm sure he was on special teams prior to that.

NJChiefsFan
01-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Yeah in the new cap you need some solid but not amazing guys. People like him and Belcher are the subtle keys to a defense. Forget Landry, spend the money at RT or NT. We have a lot of money, but once it is used on Bowe/Carr/RT or NT or both there won't be a ton left.

O.city
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I wanted Berry at FS originally as well, but he was a monster run defender last year. I'm okay with him at SS as of right now.

He is great at run defense but thats the problem. He's too much of a playmaker and too important to this defense. If he keeps playing like that he'll get banged up pretty quick.

That's why I'd bring in Landry if the price is right. Or draft Barron in the second or third.

tredadda
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM

What's amazing about that secondary is the fact that we got all of it in two drafts.

-King-
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
He is great at run defense but thats the problem. He's too much of a playmaker and too important to this defense. If he keeps playing like that he'll get banged up pretty quick.

That's why I'd bring in Landry if the price is right. Or draft Barron in the second or third.

Nope. Berry is fine for where he's at. He has responsibilities that no other safety gets. He's a GREAT strong safety. I'd love him to just sit back at FS and just be a ball hawk, but that would take away some of his ability. He's a complete player so the coaches put him at a position where he can do everything.

O.city
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Nope. Berry is fine for where he's at. He has responsibilities that no other safety gets. He's a GREAT strong safety. I'd love him to just sit back at FS and just be a ball hawk, but that would take away some of his ability. He's a complete player so the coaches put him at a position where he can do everything.

Yeah he can do everything.

Just be prepared to watch him do everything for about 12 games per year after he gets banged up like Polamaolu

petegz28
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
McGraw is not a terrible player. He is ok for depth. Lewis I thought had a great year all things considered. He got turnovers and played hard. I have no problems with him starting alongside Berry. If we keep up this blitzing style we have been running since the NE game, once Berry gets back and assuming Carr is still on the roster, this secondary is going to terrorize the league. We are looking at one of the best secondaries since Ross\Lewis\Cherry and Hasty\Carter\Collins

-King-
01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah he can do everything.

Just be prepared to watch him do everything for about 12 games per year after he gets banged up like Polamaolu

I doubt that, but I'd be plenty fine if he ends up like Polamalu. You act like having Polamalu for 12 games a year is a bad thing. If putting him in the best position for him and for the team means him playing 12 per year, then I'm alright with it. You can't hamper your team just because you're afraid of someone getting injured. Especially when they haven't shown to be injury prone.

O.city
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I doubt that, but I'd be plenty fine if he ends up like Polamalu. You act like having Polamalu for 12 games a year is a bad thing. If putting him in the best position for him and for the team means him playing 12 per year, then I'm alright with it. You can't hamper your team just because you're afraid of someone getting injured. Especially when they haven't shown to be injury prone.

First off, he is injured right now. I know it was a freak kinda deal.

Have you seen how much different the Steelers are with Polamalu on the field and when he isn't? It's night and day.

I realize Berry is great at what he does. It's just that he is so talented that it is imperitive that he stays healthy for this team to make a serious run.

-King-
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
First off, he is injured right now. I know it was a freak kinda deal.

Have you seen how much different the Steelers are with Polamalu on the field and when he isn't? It's night and day. Berry is injured now. But he isn't injury prone. What happened to him would have happened to ANY player.

And the Steelers would be in a worse position if they told Polamalu to stop playing like he does than they are when he's out with an injury.

Injuries happen. Limiting your team/players because you fear injury is detrimental to your chances of contending.

You do that with Berry, and then you have to stop running Jamaal inside, and then you have to change the playbook so that Moeaki never runs a route in the middle of the field, and a bunch of other things just because you fear that they might get injured. That doesn't help your team at all.

O.city
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Berry is injured now. But he isn't injury prone. What happened to him would have happened to ANY player.

And the Steelers would be in a worse position if they told Polamalu to stop playing like he does than they are when he's out with an injury.

Injuries happen. Limiting your team/players because you fear injury is detrimental to your chances of contending.

You do that with Berry, and then you have to stop running Jamaal inside, and then you have to change the playbook so that Moeaki never runs a route in the middle of the field, and a bunch of other things just because you fear that they might get injured. That doesn't help your team at all.

I get your point.

I'm just saying Berry needs to be on the field ALOT. He is talented enough to play both spots at an All pro level.

Although I will say you don't wanna continue to put your guys in a position where they will be injuried.