PDA

View Full Version : Football Raiders interviewing Packers executive Reggie McKenzie for possible GM job?

Deberg_1990
01-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Well this sucks with Big Al gone, will the Raiders finally do things right??

Green Bay Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie met Wednesday with the Raiders to discuss a front-office position, according to multiple media outlets.

Senior executive John Herrera would neither confirm nor deny reports by the Chicago Sun-Times, ESPN and the NFL Network that had McKenzie interviewing with the Raiders.

McKenzie, 48, has worked in the Green Bay personnel department for 19 years, having been promoted to his current post after previously serving as director of pro personnel.

His seven-year career as a linebacker included spending 1985-88 with the Los Angeles Raiders, becoming a starter as a 10th-round draft pick out of Tennessee.

According to NFL rules, McKenzie is available to be interviewed but cannot be hired until the Packers' season is concluded. The Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts are also without general managers and could be interested in talking to McKenzie, who in past years has been interviewed for G.M. positions in Atlanta and Houston.

McKenzie comes with the seal of approval from former Raiders executive Ron Wolf. Wolf told 95.7 The Game that he is not involved in the Raiders' search for a general manager but was asked by owner Mark Davis about potential candidates and recommended McKenzie.

"He's handled every aspect in the personnel office that one can handle," Wolf said of McKenzie.

"He's signed players, cut players, been involved in players with contractual disputes. He's handled things with the union. He understands how the money end of the game works. But most importantly, he's an exceptional judge of talent."

A recent NFL Network report said the Raiders were interested in hiring both McKenzie and Eliot Wolf, the Packers' assistant director of player personnel and the son of Ron Wolf.

Eliot Wolf, 29, has worked in the Packers' personnel department since 2004.

ESPN business analyst and president of the National Football Post Andrew Brandt, a former Packers executive who handled the salary cap and negotiated contracts from 1999 through 2008, said Wolf, like McKenzie, is rooted in the Packers' philosophy of developing young talent and labeled him a "rising star."

Raiders coach Hue Jackson told Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday night that he hoped to have input into roster decisions under a new general manager but noted, "If the chain of command starts with the G.M., when it comes to those decisions, I'm fine with that, too."

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_19676513?source=rss

Rain Man
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
If they hired Reggie, we could secretly hire his twin brother Raleigh, and then Raleigh could go around pretending he was Reggie and cutting guys like Richard Seymour and doing fake negotiations with free agents to make them mad and stuff. I think this could be a good plan.

Sofa King
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
If they hired Reggie, we could secretly hire his twin brother Raleigh, and then Raleigh could go around pretending he was Reggie and cutting guys like Richard Seymour and doing fake negotiations with free agents to make them mad and stuff. I think this could be a good plan.

The plot thickens.

HemiEd
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I wish one of these teams would hurry up and hire Carl Peterson.

htismaqe
01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I wish one of these teams would hurry up and hire Carl Peterson.

He's going to be like EVP in Miami. Lombardi said this morning the deal is all but done.

boogblaster
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Carl knows under the cap ......