PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting Statistics - Chiefs.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I found all of the following on footballoutsiders. Visit the site if you want an explanation of how they calculate things.

1. Who has the best completion % (% of catches when the ball is thrown to them) - Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston or Pope?

Answer, Pope. 73% completion percentage. I guess they should have looked his way more often. Breaston was 62%, Bowe 57% and Baldwin had a lowly 40%.

2. Power Rushing Defense. That's defined as to whether the O was able to convert runs of 2 yards or less on 3rd and 4th down. KC finished at 62%, which was the league average. I must have nodded off during a lot of games and missed the conversions.

3. In the category of "not a surprise", of all running backs who carried the ball 100 times or more, Thomas Jones finished second to last. There actually was somebody worse than him last year.

4. They ranked KC's DL as 24th in the NFL against the run. In particular, the left side of the defense dragged down the rankings finishing 28th in the league.

Rain Man
01-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I suspect that Pope had the best completion percentage because most of the passes thrown to him were short.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I suspect that Pope had the best completion percentage because most of the passes thrown to him were short.

And the defense didn't care to cover him cause he sucks? Hell when he did make a catch he virtually tackled himself every time.

RockChalk
01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Pope is enjoyable to watch because no matter where on the field he is after a catch, he always signals first down. He also saves drowning children.

Hammock Parties
01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
4. They ranked KC's DL as 24th in the NFL against the run. In particular, the left side of the defense dragged down the rankings finishing 28th in the league.

I don't think this is accurate at all.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Statistics usually are wrong, statistically speaking of course.

bevischief
01-06-2012, 09:18 AM

I agree.

bevischief
01-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson Broken Down

AUTHOR: Patrick Allen | IN: Chiefs | COMMENTS: 52 Comments |
Home » Chiefs » Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson Broken Down

I see that the age old Dorsey/Jackson debate has arisen on Arrowhead Addict once again. It amazes me that this keeps coming up because I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining the situation a few weeks ago when I broke down the play of the defensive line using numbers from Pro Football Focus.

I shall do it one more time.

I am going to try to make this very simple and easy to follow (not my strong suit). To do so, I’m going to make a series of statements about these players based solely on their numbers. I am going to leave my own feelings out of it. I’m just going to show you what the numbers say and let you make up your own minds.

1. Glenn Dorsey is one of the best 3-4 DE’s in the NFL against the run.

His numbers support that. PFF ranks Dorsey second, behind only Ray McDonald of the 49ers in run defense. Dorsey was graded at +16.1 on the year. McDonald was +16.4. Dorsey was fourth in stops with 32. He missed only two tackles.

2. Glenn Dorsey is one of the worst 3-4 DE’s in the NFL against the pass.

Again, the numbers. Dorsey is ranked 29th of 32 3-4 DEs in pass rush. He received a grade of -10.7. He had two pressures, two QB hits, zero sacks and zero batted passes.

3. In order, the number of QB pressures caused by the top 10 overall 3-4 DEs in the NFL: 48, 29, 32, 23, 25, 16, 35, 29, 14, 7.

4. Number of QB pressures for Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson combined: 6

5. In order, the sack totals for the top 10 overall 3-4 DEs in the NFL: 7, 9, 6, 3, 7, 5, 4, 7, 5, 1.

6. Number of sacks for Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson combined: 1

7. Tyson Jackson has developed into a top 10 run defender.

The numbers support this. PFF grades him as the sixth 3-4 DE best run defender in the NFL. His overall grade is +10.0. He recorded 40 stops. He missed only three tackles. He was third in the NFL in stops with 40.

8. Tyson Jackson is near the bottom of 3-4 DEs when it comes to rushing the passer.

Jackson ranks 26th out of 32 in this department with a grade of -5.4. Even at that low mark, he is still twice as good at rushing the passer as Glenn Dorsey. He had four pressures, two QB hits and one sack.

9. Tyson Jackson is the 11th best 3-4 DE in the NFL with an overall grade of +7.3.

10. Glenn Dorsey is the 15th best 3-4 DE in the NFL with an overall grade of +5.2.

11. The overall grades for the top five NFL DEs in the NFL are, in order: +47.5, 33.1, 30.6, 26.6,26.3.

12. After the top five, there is significant drop off. The top five are clearly elite. The 6-10’s grades are as follows: +12.5, 11.6, 11.4, 8.9, 8.7.

13. Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson are not balanced players at their position. They are elite or near elite in stopping the run and very poor at defending the pass and pressuring the QB.

14. Allen Bailey is the most balanced 3-4 DE on the Chiefs.

Bailey finished the season with a grade of +5.1. He graded +1.8 in run defense and a +1.4 in pass rush. He had nine pressures, two batted passes, one sack and one QB hit in 294 snaps. Dorsey and Jackson played just over 600 snaps each.

Those are the facts. If Dorsey and Jackson could become more consistent pass rushers, they both have the skills to join the elite level. If not, they are players that probably can only be on the field for a limited number of snaps. Allen Bailey appears to have a chance to be a balanced player for the team, however he could be blocked by the other two because of their skills stopping the run.

That is as fair as I can look at it. Dorsey and Jackson are what they are. Nothing more and nothing less.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/01/05/glenn-dorsey-tyson-jackson-broken-down/#more-34189

HemiEd
01-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Thomas Jones had a couple decent games with nice runs that skewed the reality.

Three7s
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone think there's a possibility of moving Dorsey to NT and putting Baily at DE for the majority of the snaps? Dorsey's in to stop the run anyway and with Bailey, that's another pass rusher.

bsp4444
01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I think the stats paint a pretty good picture for our current personnel. Having a really good secondary allows us to focus the d-line on the run and get away with it.

Otter
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM

You never could pass up the opportunity to take a cheap shot at midget cousin Passie.

Rain Man
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Anyone think there's a possibility of moving Dorsey to NT and putting Baily at DE for the majority of the snaps? Dorsey's in to stop the run anyway and with Bailey, that's another pass rusher.

It would seem to be reasonable. Dorsey doesn't have nose tackle size, but he may be strong enough to make up for it.

Fire Me Boy!
01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Statistics usually are wrong, statistically speaking of course.

73 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Micjones
01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Seems like anytime Pope catches the ball he's wide open.
That statistic seems to support that.

TheGuardian
01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Dorsey is not a nose in a 30 front. Just like he's not a 3-technique in a 40 front. Truth is, he was never good pass rushing the passer either. Dorsey is what he is. A solid run defender with little pass rush ability. That's what he has always been and always will be. The system won't change that.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I found all of the following on footballoutsiders. Visit the site if you want an explanation of how they calculate things.

Misleading imo

1. Who has the best completion % (% of catches when the ball is thrown to them) - Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston or Pope?

Pope has shorter dink passes for the most part ... much easier to catch.

Answer, Pope. 73% completion percentage. I guess they should have looked his way more often. Breaston was 62%, Bowe 57% and Baldwin had a lowly 40%.

2. Power Rushing Defense. That's defined as to whether the O was able to convert runs of 2 yards or less on 3rd and 4th down. KC finished at 62%, which was the league average. I must have nodded off during a lot of games and missed the conversions.

have no idea how this is true, did it include 2 yrd runs on 3rd and 10?

3. In the category of "not a surprise", of all running backs who carried the ball 100 times or more, Thomas Jones finished second to last. There actually was somebody worse than him last year.

more likely/important stat, inside runs for Chiefs net much less than outside runs regardless of RB.

HemiEd
01-06-2012, 01:06 PM

:facepalm:

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
:facepalm:

It's never going to stop is it?

O.city
01-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Move Dorsey to NT, move Albert to LG, move somebody somewhere.............../CP for years.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
And the defense didn't care to cover him cause he sucks? Hell when he did make a catch he virtually tackled himself every time.

And every time he tackled himself he got called for a penalty.

Joe Seahawk
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Needed to find a football topic to stick this in.. Look at Rookie Corner Brandon Browner destroying 3 cardinals on punt coverage. (the first one probably could have drawn a flag) It is so cool to finally have a physical secondary in Seattle.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/941617/1zlzq7r_jpg_medium.gif

Sofa King
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Needed to find a football topic to stick this in.. Look at Rookie Corner Josh Browner destroying 3 cardinals on punt coverage. (the first one probably could have drawn a flag) It is so cool to finally have a physical secondary in Seattle.

That is awesome.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Needed to find a football topic to stick this in.. Look at Rookie Corner Josh Browner destroying 3 cardinals on punt coverage. (the first one probably could have drawn a flag) It is so cool to finally have a physical secondary in Seattle.

Piscatelli does that every week.

Frosty
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Um... That's Brandon Browner (Oregon State :p ).

He had a pretty nice season, overall.

Three7s
01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
I guess you guys have never heard of Ratliff of the Cowboys.

Joe Seahawk
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Um... That's Brandon Browner (Oregon State :p ).

He had a pretty nice season, overall.

SOB!! How did I do that!:redface:

Three7s
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Move Dorsey to NT, move Albert to LG, move somebody somewhere.............../CP for years.
Yeah, let's put a guy at DE, despite having no ability to rush the passer, while leaving one of the few guys available to rush the passer AND stop the run on the bench. Heaven forbid he not way 360lbs.

Jay Ratliff doesn't even weigh 290 as a NT and he's going to the pro bowl. What's funny is people can't even think of a reason why it POSSIBLY can't work, just arrogant smart ass comments.

TinyEvel
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
73 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

55 percent of the time.

HemiEd
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
It's never going to stop is it?

Nope, not as long as people see the Jared Allen's with a DE after their name, just like Tyson Jackson's DE. They have to get sacks dammit!

HemiEd
01-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Then he wakes up in a cold sweat.

HemiEd
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, let's put a guy at DE, despite having no ability to rush the passer, while leaving one of the few guys available to rush the passer AND stop the run on the bench. Heaven forbid he not way 360lbs.

Jay Ratliff doesn't even weigh 290 as a NT and he's going to the pro bowl. What's funny is people can't even think of a reason why it POSSIBLY can't work, just arrogant smart ass comments.

The point is, these DEs are supposed keep the LBers clean so they can get those sacks.

Three7s
01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
The point is, these DEs are supposed keep the LBers clean so they can get those sacks.
I know that. Obviously, the Chiefs already have those pass rushers in Hali and Houston. I just remember the old days when the Chiefs ran 3-4 and Neil Smith as a DE and DT would rape in the backfield. Not to mention, seeing guys like Ngata on a regular basis. I know Ratliff is one of the few to weigh so little and work out, but with Bailey showing pass rush skills, I thought it would be at least worth a mention.

Frosty
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
SOB!! How did I do that!:redface:

No problem.

Do you remember when he came out (he came out too early, IMO) there was all this talk of him being a 1st rounder and then he ran a slow time at the combine and wasn't even drafted? If he continues to develop, it's like you got a free 1st rounder. :)

beach tribe
01-06-2012, 05:10 PM

That may be the greatest display of Badass I have ever seen on a given play.

Micjones
01-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Holy Habadashery Batman!
That guy went into BEASTMODE.

Joe Seahawk
01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Holy Habadashery Batman!
That guy went into BEASTMODE.

Good Call
http://aggbot.com/Seattle-Seahawks-News/article/15820063