PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gary Gibbs

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Nate Bukaty @nate_bukaty
I was told last night by a pretty good source that Crennel will name Gary Gibbs his Defensive Coordinator. #Chiefs

petegz28
01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
:popcorn:

Bane
Cool.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254747&page=4

58-4ever
Boomer!! Sooner!!

58-4ever
01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Mark Mangino for OC!! jk jk

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/8/2691357/kansas-city-chiefs-romeo-crennel-gary-gibbs

Chiefs Next Defensive Coordinator May Already Be In KC
by Joel Thorman on Jan 8, 2012 9:08 AM CST

0 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT
The Kansas City Chiefs put a statement on their website last night indicating there had not yet been any official announcement on the status of the next head coach. They likely felt compelled to do that because ESPN has reported that the Chiefs are planning to keep Romeo Crennel as the full-time head coach.

That news was to be expected as Crennel seemed to be the favorite the entire time. And if Crennel is indeed hired as the full-time guy, then that means the Chiefs have an opening at defensive coordinator. That was Crennel's position before becoming the interim coach and presumably he will fill the position.

Who will fill that position? Nate Bukaty of 810 WHB was told "by a pretty good source" that the defensive coordinator position will likely be filled by Gary Gibbs, currently the Chiefs linebackers coach.

This isn't official -- Crennel doesn't even officially have the head coaching job yet -- but it does make a lot of sense. One of the reasons I wanted to keep Romeo on board is because he's been doing some good work with the defense so retaining some continuity there by naming Gibbs the defensive coordinator would make sense.

Gibbs was the defensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints and a linebackers coach with the Dallas Cowboys before joining the Chiefs in 2009. He spent a lot of years coaching college football, too.

dannybcaitlyn
01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Let's hope he's improved since then.

cabletech94
01-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Nate Bukaty @nate_bukaty
I was told last night by a pretty good source that Crennel will name Gary Gibbs his Defensive Coordinator. #Chiefs

thanks for the info and link, boats and ho's!!!

The Bad Guy
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Doesn't really matter. He's the DC in name only. Romeo is going to continue to call the defense.

dannybcaitlyn
01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Doesn't really matter. He's the DC in name only. Romeo is going to continue to call the defense.

I hope that is the case. Defense played really well down the stretch. I just wish he wouldn't have went conservative on that play where Oakland burnt us deep in overtime. Carson had all day. Keep the defense aggressive dammit.

Titty Meat
01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Shitty staff. Come on Scott make this the trifecta and announce Muir is coming back as the OC.

Extra Point
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Shitty staff. Come on Scott make this the trifecta and announce Muir is coming back as the OC.

AW SHADDUP! /Bugs Bunny

The Bad Guy
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess I don't see the big negative about Gibbs staying and being a defacto DC. He's done great work with the LBs, Romeo still calls the defense. Yeah he sucked with the Saints. So does Gregg Williams and people talk about him like he's unreal (sorry Mo).

Difference is Brees has been at another level the last 3 years and covered the deficiencies on defense.

chiefzilla1501
01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm fine with this. Smart hire--knows the defense, knows the players, will get along well with Romeo.

Titty Meat
01-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I guess I don't see the big negative about Gibbs staying and being a defacto DC. He's done great work with the LBs, Romeo still calls the defense. Yeah he sucked with the Saints. So does Gregg Williams and people talk about him like he's unreal (sorry Mo).

Difference is Brees has been at another level the last 3 years and covered the deficiencies on defense.

I just think there were better options out there and it looks like we're just settling for a bunch of blah. They were good the year they won the super bowl making plays I think you can say Williams was an upgrade. Do we know for sure Romeo will call the plays? Part of his downfall in Cleveland was he let someone else run the defense.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I just think there were better options out there and it looks like we're just settling for a bunch of blah. They were good the year they won the super bowl making plays I think you can say Williams was an upgrade. Do we know for sure Romeo will call the plays? Part of his downfall in Cleveland was he let someone else run the defense.

He said in an interview a few weeks ago that he wouldn't make the mistake again and that he'd call his defense when he got another HC job.

He was an upgrade strictly because they took the ball away, but having a ball-hawk safety like Sharper will help in that regard.

I don't know too many defensive guys who are going to come in here just to be named the d coordinator to do the prep work during the week but not call the plays on Sunday.

Gibbs is fine. Our linebackers have shown the most improvement under his watch than just about every position group on the team.

DTLB58
01-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Couldn't have said it better. :thumb:

Titty Meat
01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
He said in an interview a few weeks ago that he wouldn't make the mistake again and that he'd call his defense when he got another HC job.

He was an upgrade strictly because they took the ball away, but having a ball-hawk safety like Sharper will help in that regard.

I don't know too many defensive guys who are going to come in here just to be named the d coordinator to do the prep work during the week but not call the plays on Sunday.

Gibbs is fine. Our linebackers have shown the most improvement under his watch than just about every position group on the team.

If this is true than you're right the hiring doesn't matter much but to me the staff overall is a bunch of blah.

dannybcaitlyn
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Im glad to be keeping it in house, on the defense . That way Tamba, DJ and Houston can continue beasting in this system.

dannybcaitlyn
01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
If this is true than you're right the hiring doesn't matter much but to me the staff overall is a bunch of blah.

With the defensive staff we have, this should be the least of your worries. The offensive side is the greatest concern.

burt
01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
With the defensive staff we have, this should be the least of your worries. The offensive side is the greatest concern.

slow down there pal......you are way outposting your track record!

dannybcaitlyn
01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
slow down there pal......you are way outposting your track record!

Lol. My New Years resolution is to hit 1000 post by the end of 2012. I have a lot of work to do.

BossChief
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
I would rather have waited and seen if Mike Nolan shakes loose because his version of the 2gap 3-4 is a tad more aggressive and he is even a tree guy.

That said, he was about the only guy I saw as an upgrade over a move like this.

The defense needed continuity more than anything.

Now, all we need to do is go out and get a guy we can hand the offense to.

That hire is gonna be HUGE.

Hopefully, he is a guy that specializes in quarterbacks and has experience calling the plays successfully.

Obviously, Tom Clements is my guy for that role.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Say alot about pioli wouldn't let haley call plays.......

SAUTO
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
What the fuck is that ^ guy talking about
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm glad to see Gibbs get the promotion, the linebackers were the biggest strength of the entire team. It's all about getting a proper QB now and it's superbowl time.

Rausch
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm much more comfortable with a puppet DC under Romeo than a puppet OC under haley.

And yes, I agree, better than bad does not equal good.

That said it appeared that we overachieved under Romeo and underachieved with Haley...

Fritz88
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I can't see how Romeo is going to handle the HC duties + calling the defense. I expect a major shit storm next season unless our offense steps up.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Say alot about pioli wouldn't let haley call plays.......

That's complete and utter bullshit.

Haley called the plays in 2009 and Haley is the one who fired Gailey.

Haley was allowed to hire a yes man OC like Muir and call a majority of plays this year.

Pioli had nothing to do with telling Haley whether or not he could call plays.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
People make such a huge deal about a HC calling plays, but a lot of coaches in the NFL do it and it's not a death sentence.

It's about having coaches you trust on the other side of the ball.

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
IMO its a good move. Gary Gibbs has always been a great defensive mind.

philfree
01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
People make such a huge deal about a HC calling plays, but a lot of coaches in the NFL do it and it's not a death sentence.

It's about having coaches you trust on the other side of the ball.

Haley is the only guy to make a big deal out of it. It's funny how he brainwashed so many fans in such a short time that the HC calling the plays was a deal.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Say alot about pioli wouldn't let haley call plays.......you're so full of shit

Haley made his own mess

Mr. Laz
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Haley is the only guy to make a big deal out of it. It's funny how he brainwashed so many fans in such a short time that the HC calling the plays was a deal.

it IS a big deal when the HC sucks at it

Rausch
01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
it IS a big deal when the HC sucks at it

He didn't just suck at calling plays he sucked at field position, challenges, when to/not to go for it on 4th down, and the ability to adjust in-game.

In short, he was a ****ing terrible HC...

O.city
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Not worried about the defense.

Just need a great OC mind.

Pretty much every good team in the NFL, has the head coach calling the O or the D.

T-post Tom
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Jack Harry is reporting that Gary Gibbs has a spinal tumor and KU will finish 37th in the Big 12 Men's BB conference.

DTLB58
01-08-2012, 12:23 PM

10-4

WhiteWhale
01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Gibbs is a terrible DC.

We better hope that Romeo is doing the heavy lifting.

wazu
01-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I wondered if there was somebody on the existing staff that might be worth promoting. Just don't believe Romeo did it all by himself. Hopefully Gibbs is better than we thought, and has just dealt with sub-par talent in his previous stops.