PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Moonshiners

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I am shamed to admit this....but I am hooked on this show. LMAO

"Tickle" LMAO

notorious
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Who would be stupid enough to have cameras record them doing illegal stuff?

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Have you seen the guys on this show?

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I have watched enough to know its fake. The guys a moonshiner & the head of the local fire department

lewdog
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Glad I am not the only one!!!

I don't get why they have camera's rolling and their face showing, yet the same program is running sting operations for moonshiners in the same area?

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Look I think I hear someone in the woods. Turn the camera lights on

Okie_Apparition
I watched the one episode where wasted on his ass cracked his ribs
Too much info to not get arrested to make it not seem fake

ClevelandBronco

The pot growers and retailers in Colorado that I've seen interviewed openly on whatever network Keith Olbermann is on these days.

WV
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
'Moonshiners' Producer Stands By Show's Accuracy in Face of State's Claim Show Is a Hoax

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/04/moonshiners-shows-real-moonshine-making-says-shows-star-producer/#ixzz1ivgZ4Zqy

The Discovery Channel’s hit reality series “Moonshiners” has millions of fans tuning in each week to watch the adventures of outlaw distillers in rural Virginia and the state liquor authorities who keep tabs on their activities. But the open flouting of state liquor laws by homespun characters with names like Tickle and Popcorn has some viewers – and authorities – questioning the show’s veracity.

“If illegal activity was actually taking place, the Virginia ABC Bureau of Law Enforcement would have taken action,” the state agency that regulates the sale of alcohol in Virginia said in a statement on December 29.

Virginia Authorities Claim Show 'Moonshiners' Doesn't Show Illegal Moonshining
Not so fast, says “Moonshiners” star Tim Smith.

“With the laws in Virginia, and I’m pretty sure around anywhere else, you must be witnessed and physical samples of what you’re producing have to be taken and analyzed,” Smith told BourbonBlog.com in December. “All of this has to be produced in a court of law and then that arresting officer has to testify. How are you going to arrest me for moonshining I did five years ago? Moonshiners take a lot of precautions. Now, I’m jumping the fence. I’ve become retired. What I did yesterday, doesn’t mean I’m going to do it tomorrow.”

The show’s producers also say their documentary is the real deal.

"Magilla Entertainment, the production company behind the hit series 'Moonshiners,' stands behind the docuseries, and feel it accurately portrays the secret life of those who make moonshine and the law enforcement tasked with capturing them," Matt Ostrom, Partner and Executive Producer, Magilla Entertainment, told FOXNews.com.

Smith, who learned the trade from his late father, himself a second-generation moonshiner, believes that the illegal nature of the taboo brew is a large part of its appeal. “That’s what drives everyone into it, I believe,” said Smith. “Whether or not it’s good moonshine or whether or not it’s Tim Smith’s moonshine. It could be John Dalton’s moonshine. Just that myth of being able to get your hands on something, that kind of makes it more valuable. There’s marketing value there just because it is illegal.”

While Smith and hasn’t been busted on “Moonshiners,” he had his first run-in with the law as a kindergartener. “I was about five-years-old when my dad first got raided,” said Smith. “I was running around, trying to hide the moonshine myself, before the agents came into the room where we had the moonshine stored. It was my first raid, in which my dad was arrested in possession of moonshine.”

After practicing the art of moonshining for almost half a century, Smith said he has figured out how to skirt the law.

“There are millions of questions out there that people out there are asking about moonshine, and they’re all true,” explained Smith. “There’s nothing wrong with to ask questions, because there are no wrong questions and I don’t think there’s no right answers. Sometimes, those questions gets mixed up with the answers, and then everyone gets lost – but that’s good. That’s the way the mystery of moonshining is. Nobody knows what’s going on, we just know something is going on.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/04/moonshiners-shows-real-moonshine-making-says-shows-star-producer/#ixzz1ivgNnTyQ

-------------------------------------------------

Makes you wonder if its real or not.

Bugeater
01-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I have watched enough to know its fake. The guys a moonshiner & the head of the local fire department
All of these new "reality" shows are fake. The repo ones, the storage wars, the pickers, the pawn shops...all fake.

LiveSteam
I swear thats the same dumb ass cop that pulled me over in Fordland Missouri. Kept telling me I was running drugs & my Nebraska truck plates were fake. See the bar code on the plate. I'm down here running choo choo's.
Edit a year later. That last part wasn't necessary.

Brock
I have a hard time believing the government makes catching these guys much of a priority.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Awe snap! Tickle and co. 'bout done get busted after the commercial break! :)

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I have a hard time believing the government makes catching these guys much of a priority.

Oh they spend billions fighting stupid ass shit like this. Hey lets send 6 ATF agents into the California mountains to chase pot growers.

Two blocks away from the base of the mountain is a marijuana bar thing. All you need is a DR prescription

Okie_Apparition
Bake sale brownies are not regulated

notorious
All of these new "reality" shows are fake. The repo ones, the storage wars, the pickers, the pawn shops...all fake.

Repo is fake as hell, along with Harcore Pawn.

Storage Wars was real, but they are adding a ton of fake elements to it. It is the most entertaining of them all IMO, but it sure looks to be scripted more lately.

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
South Park

Now thats real TV

Mr_Tomahawk
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Popcorn done take his life?!

LiveSteam
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Popcorn done take his life?!

I think the still blew

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
volunteer fire department

Love the show

Gonzo
01-09-2012, 05:37 AM
All of those "reality shows" are staged bull shit. I won't watch a single one because of the way the ham it up for the cameras.
Oh, and I heard on a local radio show that the moonshiners deal is mostly fake. They don't actually complete the distilling process. The ones that do, have a license to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device

RNR
01-09-2012, 05:49 AM
I have watched one episode of the show. It did not interest me. I have watched Pawn Stars, Deadliest Catch and American pickers and enjoyed them. I moved to North Carolina a while back and Tickle reminds me of several guys I have met down here~

petegz28
01-09-2012, 07:09 AM
So how is it this guy is in TV being filmed breaking the law yet he is not in jail?

burt
01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
So how is it this guy is in TV being filmed breaking the law yet he is not in jail?

because there is NO proof that those jugs and/or stills have anything but water in them.

Dunit35
01-09-2012, 08:34 AM
If that were actually moonshine than discovery would be an accessory to a felony. That's all I need to know about this show. Not sure about other states but in Oklahoma having a still is a felony.

Bane
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Dumbest and fakest show ever.Bullshit tv does a good job of drawing in the idiots with promises of "reality tv".Worst fucking acting jobs ever.

LiveSteam
01-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I like the Motor City Mad Man & his hunting shows. The rest is all unwatchable Botarded TV

Dunit35
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I like the Motor City Mad Man & his hunting shows. The rest is all unwatchable Botarded TV

I caught an episode of cajan pawn stars yesterday. A guy bought an 1800's colt dragoon revolver. Sold it for 6k and it was valued at 12k.

LiveSteam
01-09-2012, 08:51 AM
1st 2nd or 3rd model? J/K
Every gun freak should own a Colt Walker or dragoon at least once.

Dunit35
01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
1st 2nd or 3rd model? J/K
Every gun freak should own a Colt Walker or dragoon at least once.

Damn, didn't know there were different generations to it. My father owns a pepperbox dragoon from the civil war.

Dayze
01-09-2012, 09:36 AM
speaking of fake..
My wife likes to watch the show 'Decoded' by Brad Meztler (she likes his books).

they did a piece on the secrecy surrounding Area 51. The team of 'investigators' drove out to the Desert and got as close as they could to the facility. a sign read 'Deadly force authorized beyond this point" etc. They got out, while remaining on the correct side of the line, and walked up to a small hill. The security team from Area 51, who had been watching from afar in their pickup trucks, began driving down to 'intercept them.

One of the members of the 'investigative team' says "Look, here they come. We gotta get out of here".

next thing you know, there's footage of them driving off/speeding off. ....so uh, did they just leave the camera man behind?

lol. lame.

Dayze
01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Dumbest and fakest show ever.Bullshit tv does a good job of drawing in the idiots with promises of "reality tv".Worst ****ing acting jobs ever.

ever see the show Operation Repo?
holy hell, it's horrible. I stumbled on it after watching an episode of COPS.

it was like the WWF of reality TV. Like, clearly staged bad.

LiveSteam
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Damn, didn't know there were different generations to it. My father owns a pepperbox dragoon from the civil war.

Look like this?
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Allen-Thurber-Dragoon-Pepperbox.cfm?gun_id=100197378

Thats a bad economy price tag. You couldn't touch that for under $2200 six years ago.

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I have watched one episode of the show. It did not interest me. I have watched Pawn Stars, Deadliest Catch and American pickers and enjoyed them. I moved to North Carolina a while back and Tickle reminds me of several guys I have met down here~

He reminds me of a lot of guys I have met everywhere. :D

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I caught an episode of cajan pawn stars yesterday. A guy bought an 1800's colt dragoon revolver. Sold it for 6k and it was valued at 12k.

Did you see the one where the guy brought in matching (sister) sets of 5,000 and 10,000 dollar bills? He offered $575,000 and the guy wouldn't come off of $800,000.

The Roy Orbison first recording?

All of this is a lot more interesting than the endless someone gets murdered in the first minute, then the spend the rest of the show solving it bullshit.

RNR
01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
He reminds me of a lot of guys I have met everywhere. :D

True but the accent, is spot on for the guys I am referring to. It is almost like a different language down here. The drive through is like Christmas for me. I order, they say something I cannot understand, I drive around to the window. The window opens they hand me my food and I open it up wondering what I got, as I know there is a 50/50 chance is not what I ordered~

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
True but the accent, is spot on for the guys I am referring to. It is almost like a different language down here. The drive through is like Christmas for me. I order, they say something I cannot understand, I drive around to the window. The window opens they hand me my food and I open it up wondering what I got, as I know there is a 50/50 chance is not what I ordered~
LMAO I forgot about that, I used to travel I-40 coast to coast on business.

Yeah, I absolutely love those accents. All across from East Texas, through Arkansas all the way to the Atlantic.

My neighbor down at Tablerock has a wife that is from Arkansas, ROFL, I love listening to her talk.

RNR
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
LMAO I forgot about that, I used to travel I-40 coast to coast on business.

Yeah, I absolutely love those accents. All across from East Texas, through Arkansas all the way to the Atlantic.

My neighbor down at Tablerock has a wife that is from Arkansas, ROFL, I love listening to her talk.

If they talk slow I can understand them. Many of them talk very fast and they run their words together, it is very hard to understand them. I kid you not I go out to eat with some of the guys I work with and they will translate the Subway workers for me. There also are people from the backwoods that I simply cannot understand at all. They are friendly but when they speak to me I just have to nod and pretend I understand them~

jdubya
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM

I agree. The "reality" shows are no longer anything but just plain Hollywood crap. As someone else said above, I just can`t see "moonshining" as a high priority for law enforcement anymore. Here in NorCal they don`t even give a crap about the Mex pot cartels that are taking over the national forrests. Would love to have our military train in Shasta-Trinity and Mendocino County with "live" ammo and clean this crap up once and for all.

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
If they talk slow I can understand them. Many of them talk very fast and they run their words together, it is very hard to understand them. I kid you not I go out to eat with some of the guys I work with and they will translate the Subway workers for me. There also are people from the backwoods that I simply cannot understand at all. They are friendly but when they speak to me I just have to nod and pretend I understand them~

ROFL, I hear ya, it is fun though right? I really enjoy the regional accents.

I get a lot of calls from NY, and I have to tell them, I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND YOU, back up, slow down, and start over please. Usually due to the speed like you are referring to.

RNR
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
ROFL, I hear ya, it is fun though right? I really enjoy the regional accents.

I get a lot of calls from NY, and I have to tell them, I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND YOU, back up, slow down, and start over please. Usually due to the speed like you are referring to.

I hang a ton of trash on the guys I know down here. But the truth is they are very friendly and I live close to many cool places to visit. I miss the people back home but I do not miss Kansas at all~

Dunit35
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Look like this?
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Allen-Thurber-Dragoon-Pepperbox.cfm?gun_id=100197378

Thats a bad economy price tag. You couldn't touch that for under $2200 six years ago.

Yep, exactly like it. Passed down from generation to generation.

JohnnyHammersticks
01-25-2013, 01:13 AM

"Tickle" LMAO

If someone would've told me two weeks ago that I'd be into this show, I'd have thought they were nuts, but Moonshiners is like freaking crack. I had it on in the background about a week ago during back-to-back episodes and now somehow I'm a full-blown addict. I'm thinking about naming my first son Jim Tom.

Unsmooth-Moment
01-25-2013, 01:55 AM
It's funny watching Tickle drive around drinking from his beer getting completely shit faced. Show has to be staged, but I do watch it weekly.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-25-2013, 06:47 AM
I've only caught the last couple of episodes as I wasn't expecting it to be signed on for a second season... It's just as good as last season so far!

yay Tickle!

Fish
01-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Fake as hell, but I love it. Is Tickle high all the time, or just drunk?

King_Chief_Fan
01-25-2013, 06:59 AM

"Tickle" LMAO

then you have to like Duck Dynasty...that show is a hoot

LiveSteam
01-25-2013, 08:50 AM
then you have to like Duck Dynasty...that show is a hoot

SI's awesome. Funny show.
I like the gator hunting in Swamp people to.
Bernice from south beach tow, she rocks

CoMoChief
01-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Most of these types of reality shows are just absolute crap.

Dayze
01-25-2013, 09:06 AM
watch Lizaard Lick towing and I think it'll change your mind.

or South Beach Tow

~

King_Chief_Fan
01-25-2013, 09:31 AM
SI's awesome. Funny show.
I like the gator hunting in Swamp people to.
Bernice from south beach tow, she rocks

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdilrhUXxu1rl5w52o1_500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/si%2520robertson%2520quotes&h=282&w=500&sz=41&tbnid=puAJolQSgnZ4JM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=121&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duncle%2Bsi%2Bquotes%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=uncle+si+quotes&usg=__MbKywYjT706z78Y91rDdDuYQ95s=&docid=vmRcAIyhJ4VIQM&sa=X&ei=hqMCUbOjGOW82wXYu4HoCA&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBA&dur=1531

JohnnyHammersticks
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Most of these types of reality shows are just absolute crap.

I agree completely and I never watch them--well, except for Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush. That's why I'm amazed at how hooked Moonshiners has gotten me.

Bwana
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM

All I have ever seen is the previews and I can tell it's staged. How long would those guys be around if it was "real?" The feds wouldn't drop in and haul them off, noooooooo waaaaaaaaaay.

kcxiv
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I think some of this may be real. Tim is a volunteer fight fighter. He also doesn't moonshine anymore on the show. His family has also been busted for that in the past.

It's entertaining though. Tickle and Jim Tom crack me up.

LiveSteam
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
All I have ever seen is the previews and I can tell it's staged. How long would those guys be around if it was "real?" The feds wouldn't drop in and haul them off, noooooooo waaaaaaaaaay.

My guess is less than an episode.

Bwana
01-25-2013, 09:50 AM
My guess is less than an episode.

Exactly :D

Rasputin
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Amish Mafia is realz

Reerun_KC
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
If that were actually moonshine than discovery would be an accessory to a felony. That's all I need to know about this show. Not sure about other states but in Oklahoma having a still is a felony.

Youre not gonna bust my still are you?

JohnnyHammersticks
01-25-2013, 03:11 PM

National Geographic channel had a show--American Weed-- where they followed Colorado marijuana growers, and none of them got busted. I know, because I'm in that business and I know a lot of those people. What they do--and what the tv show aired--was real. Marijuana is still illegal per federal law and growing over 100 plants is an automatic felony. The growers on that show had hundreds and hundreds of plants and they're still business as usual.

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
as if an infrared camera on a helicopter couldn't find a fire in the woods

kcxiv
01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
as if an infrared camera on a helicopter couldn't find a fire in the woods

but where are they and thy would hear a damned helicopter in the night time and hav plenty of time to either turn it off or run for it. They also dont moonshine in the daytime, hence MOONshine. lol

SAUTO
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
I know people that actually do that shit. People still moonshine
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Probably staged but still entertaining. That's really all that matters

Chief_For_Life58
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM

what about amish mafia? thats real right?

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Probably staged but still entertaining. That's really all that matters

Probably ROFL These shows are ridiculous

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
I know people that actually do that shit. People still moonshine
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude, I can get a quart of Moonshine in about 15 mins if I want it...

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 06:10 PM
You might be a redneck if....

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 06:24 PM

I have no idea where to find meth though...

SAUTO
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM

I'm not REAL country. But my old hood buddies laugh at me when I talk anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I have no idea where to find meth though...

Heisenburg....Duh

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not REAL country. But my old hood buddies laugh at me when I talk anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought I was, but have never been near moonshine ROFL

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM

It ain't cheap anymore, a good QT will cost 25-30 bucks

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
It ain't cheap anymore, a good QT will cost 25-30 bucks

I could have used some on Sundays.

Bwana
01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
National Geographic channel had a show--American Weed-- where they followed Colorado marijuana growers, and none of them got busted. I know, because I'm in that business and I know a lot of those people. What they do--and what the tv show aired--was real. Marijuana is still illegal per federal law and growing over 100 plants is an automatic felony. The growers on that show had hundreds and hundreds of plants and they're still business as usual.

Great story, but do you think this is staged, I do.

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I could have used some on Sundays.

I really only drink it when it's made into "Apple Pie"

http://www.moonshineheritage.com/blog/apple-pie-moonshine/

Bwana
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Without question. I have a friend up here that does it. He's not running around the back woods, he does it in his house in small volume.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-25-2013, 06:43 PM

Hmmm. I have had Apple Pie. Maybe I have had Moonshine ROFL

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Hmmm. I have had Apple Pie. Maybe I have had Moonshine ROFL

It can be made with commercial stuff, just not as good to me.

R8RFAN
01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Without question. I have a friend up here that does it. He's not running around the back woods, he does it in his house in small volume.

If you know where to look, it can be found:thumb:

Bwana
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM

I tailgated with Iowanian (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2383) at Arrowhead a few years ago and he brought some along. It was great stuff.

listopencil
01-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Real moonshiners are pretty cool. Good people.

Bwana
01-25-2013, 06:56 PM
If you know where to look, it can be found:thumb:

Indeed it can. :)

listopencil
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM

I prefer butter corn, but I'm from Virginia and I'm a traditionalist. To each his own.

SAUTO
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM

You breathe fire buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnnyHammersticks
01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Great story, but do you think this is staged, I do.

American Weed was "staged" in that they needed to create premises so that there's something to base a show on. Believe me, I'm in a warehouse-sized grow room all day every day, and following me around all day sure wouldn't make for must-see television. Watering plants, pruning plants, trimming buds, fixing ducting, fixing a/c's and swamp coolers, dealing with licensing bureaucrats, etc. Now I'm sure there are some growers who might have a little Jim Tom in them in terms of being so 'out there' that they're interesting, but fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I'm just a pretty normal middle-aged guy that used to be a senior commercial mortgage underwriter who now grows around fifty different strains of the absolute best organic cannabis on earth. Nothing to see here...

SAUTO
01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
American Weed was "staged" in that they needed to create premises so that there's something to base a show on. Believe me, I'm in a warehouse-sized grow room all day every day, and following me around all day sure wouldn't make for must-see television. Watering plants, pruning plants, trimming buds, fixing ducting, fixing a/c's and swamp coolers, dealing with licensing bureaucrats, etc. Now I'm sure there are some growers who might have a little Jim Tom in them in terms of being so 'out there' that they're interesting, but fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I'm just a pretty normal middle-aged guy that used to be a senior commercial mortgage underwriter who now grows around fifty different strains of the absolute best organic cannabis on earth. Nothing to see here...
In. Where do I sign up?

Actually where can I hook up?
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnnyHammersticks
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
In. Where do I sign up?

Actually where can I hook up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, my best connections in mid-MO were at the Kappa Sig house at Mizzou, but that was about 22 years ago, so things may have changed. Starting one year from now, if you're 21, you can drive out here to CO to get some. Jan. 2014 is when the recreational stores are scheduled to open. It'll be like the old days when people drove out here to stock up on Coors. Except that Coors tastes like ass, and my buds taste like orange soda, angel smiles, and sugar cookies.

SAUTO
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, my best connections in mid-MO were at the Kappa Sig house at Mizzou, but that was about 22 years ago, so things may have changed. Starting one year from now, if you're 21, you can drive out here to CO to get some. Jan. 2014 is when the recreational stores are scheduled to open. It'll be like the old days when people drove out here to stock up on Coors. Except that Coors tastes like ass, and my buds taste like orange soda, angel smiles, and sugar cookies.
We have a date lol
Posted via Mobile Device