PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Where Are You On McDonald's McRib?

gblowfish
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Are you addicted to them like crack, or do you refuse to eat them because they're basically the soylent green of pork?

There's over 70 ingredients in a McRib, more than 35 of those are in the bun alone. No ribs in a McRib, but lots of mystery pork meat, like you'd find in a really cheap hot dog.

Do you love McRib or avoid them like Anthrax?

http://i43.tinypic.com/n4xzro.jpg

Bane
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Fuck'em.

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Someone posted actual nutrition information with pictures on here a while back, maybe last year. No thanks.

gblowfish
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
It has over half the daily dosage of sodium and almost as many calories as a big mac.

McDonalds' McRib and its cult-like following are back. Thank goodness the "disconcerting" sandwich is only returning for a limited time only, says Meredith Melnick at TIME. Because if you knew about all the unpronounceable ingredients packed into the McRib, you might think twice about wolfing down the sauce-drenched pork concoction. Think you can stomach what's inside? Read on:

How many ingredients are there?
At face value, the sandwich contains just pork, onions, and pickle slices slathered in barbecue sauce and laid out on a bun. But the truth is, there are roughly 70 ingredients. The bun alone contains 34, says TIME's Melnick. In addition to chemicals like ammonium sulfate and polysorbate 80, the most egregious may be azodicarbonamide — "a flour-bleaching agent most commonly used in the manufactur[ing] of foamed plastics like gym mats and the soles of shoes." According to McDonald's own ingredient list, the bun also includes calcium sulfate and ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, among other chemicals.

Ooof. What's the meat made of?
Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together.

Is it really that bad for you?
Well, it's certainly not good for you. Though "slightly trimmer than the Big Mac," which contains 540 calories and 29 grams of fat, says Christina Rexrode at USA Today, the McRib, first introduced in 1982, still packs in 500 calories and 26 grams of fat. And despite its name, one thing you won't find inside a McRib is bones. The absence of any detectable "rib" is what gives the unnutritious mush its "quirky sense of humor," says Marta Fearon, McDonald's U.S. marketing director.

WV
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I try to only eat mechanically separated meat products....so the McRib is a must!!

J/K...hell no to that monstrosity.

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
It has over half the daily dosage of sodium and more calories than a big mac.

What sodium dosage are you using?

As far as I know, everything most fast food joints sell, is loaded with sodium, and has been for quite some time.

Fish
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Recently nearly everyone I know posted these nutritional stats on the McRib, and made it out like it's an antifreeze sandwich that should kill 8/10 people that eat it. Even saying it included the same substance as what is found in Yoga mats.

Mehh... I eat them every once in a while.

You could find equally nasty ingredients in just about any fast food item...

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach,

How is this even legal?

gblowfish
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
It has 890 mg of sodium.
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-mcdonalds-mcrib-sandwich-i53939

Predarat
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I used to love it, I get one or two when they are in seasons. McDonalds in general has fallen off my radar. Every now and then I get a taste for it but when I go there it reminds me why I do not frequent it. Also probably the crap that is in the McRib probably is not much different then what is in a BigMac or other McDs burgers.

gblowfish
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I can't understand why McD's would sell this in KC, where people know what BBQ is supposed to taste like. If I want a pork sandwich, I'll go to OK Joe's or Zarda's.

WhiteWhale
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
America... you're fat.

BigMeatballDave
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
It was good 25 yrs ago.

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.gagful.com/uploads/2011_11/1320397225_No_thanks_gag.jpg

durtyrute
never had one and don't intend to

KC_Lee
The McRib is an unholy abomination and an affront to the Lord. The zombie apocalypse will be caused by the McRib.

cabletech94
dog shit?

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I love them but I only eat one or two each time they come back because I know how evil they are.

Predarat
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
It was good 25 yrs ago.

I really do think they tasted better years ago. Maybe its that my tastes have changed or maybe its because i know more about what they are made of.

pr_capone
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I had one and threw up. Never again.

And I'm fat... it's not like I am hugely picky.

Predarat
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Another thing is alot of the packaged Hot Dogs and other things you buy at grocery stores are composed of the same/similar shit the McRib is. My gosh just thiniking about the stuff I used to eat on a regular basis makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Reaper16
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Fuck no.

bevischief
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Hell no.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I dare anyone to do a google image search of raw mcrib and then eat another one. :Lin:

Frosty
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
McRib Ingredients

McRib Patty: Boneless pork (Pork, water, salt, dextrose, citric acid, BHA, TBHQ).

McRib Bun: Flour (wheat flour bleached and enriched with thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, iron, folic acid, malted barley flour), water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil). Contains 2 percent or less of dextrose, fumaric acid, calcium sulphate, salt, acetic acid, soy flour, monocalcium phosphate, ammonium sulphate, cornstarch, fungal protease, natural culture, ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid, azodicarbomide, mono- and diglycerides, propionic acid, phosphoric acid, corn flour, calcium peroxide, calcium propionate, dicetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides.

McRib Sauce: Water, high fructose corn syrup, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, molasses, natural smoke flavor, modified food starch, salt, sugar, soybean oil, spices, onion*, mustard flour, garlic *, xanthan gum, caramel color, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural flavor (vegetable source), corn oil. *Dehydrated

Pickle Slices: Cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, alum, natural flavorings (vegetable source), polysorbate 80, turmeric (color).
Slivered Onions

Allergens: Wheat, Soybean Food Sensitivities: Gluten

Most of the "70 ingredients" are in the bun and sauce. I've never had one and probably never will because I can't eat wheat. However, I wouldn't have a problem eating the patty. It's basically the same ingredients as a sausage patty.

EDIT: The sauce looks fairly harmless.

The Franchise
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwxs94yPnt1qz9pvc.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
This thread is making me hungry. Soon as I get done jacking off the next boar in line Ima gonna go to town for a McRib.

Royal Fanatic
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
What the fuck happened to the Chiefsplanet I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest eating experience of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to eat a McRib with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this!

What a bunch of pussies.

Edit: Except for Hog Farmer.

ChiefFripp
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Eating McRibs and watching Kay Parker movies have the same effect. They get the job done but I feel dirty and ashamed afterward.

Kylo Ren
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Are you addicted to them like crack, or do you refuse to eat them because they're basically the soylent green of pork?

There's over 70 ingredients in a McRib, more than 35 of those are in the bun alone. No ribs in a McRib, but lots of mystery pork meat, like you'd find in a really cheap hot dog.

Do you love McRib or avoid them like Anthrax?

http://i43.tinypic.com/n4xzro.jpg

The McRib is the Ron Paul of fast food sandwiches...... It has a fanatically loyal fan base who will defend it to the death, but it's really just a unhealthy, crappy sandwich.

-King-
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I've never had one.

Royal Fanatic
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Eating McRibs and watching Kay Parker movies have the same effect. They get the job done but I feel dirty and ashamed afterward.

Kay Parker was hawt back in the day.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I've never had one.

welcome to America. How long are you staying?

sedated
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I haven’t eaten one in quite a while, but I really doubt there is much in there that you won’t find in any fast food place, or even some chain restaurants (especially places like Applebee’s).

Every time I’m hammered at 2am I want one, but usually have a frozen pizza rather than trying to find a ride to a fast food place.

ChiefFripp
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Kay Parker was hawt back in the day.

That's about the same era the processed all the meat that would EVER be used for a McRib.

Kerberos
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
How is this even legal?

As long as they aren't throwing in helpings of Mr. Ed or Barbaro then I guess all bets are off.

sedated
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
The McRib is the Ron Paul of fast food sandwiches...... It has a fanatically loyal fan base who will defend it to the death, but it's really just a unhealthy, crappy sandwich.

Its pretty smart advertising. If it was on the menu all the time, I doubt people would ever eat it.

mlyonsd
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I've never had one but let's not do something silly and tarnish the perfectly good hot dog's name.

Frosty
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
welcome to America. How long are you staying?

Eh, I never had one either, even back when I ate wheat. I tended to avoid McD's like the plague because my blood pressure went through the roof every time I went there (because they would piss me off, not because of the "food"). Burger King was my poison of choice (mmm.... Italian chicken sandwiches).

Nzoner
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I've never had one but let's not do something silly and tarnish the perfectly good hot dog's name.

This.

FAX
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I've never had one. Usually, when I find myself with a craving for tripe, I hit myself three times in the eyebrows with a shovel. It's better for you.

FAX

Cheater5
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
That sh!te is pig-vomit-with-cigarette-butts bad. Horrible aberration of a sandwich.

No kidding; I'd rather eat an MRE.

tooge
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
just as soon have one jammed up my ass than eat one

Dayze
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I honestly don't think I've ever eaten one. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

Graystoke
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I bet the Hardees Roast Beast has more ingredients.

Saulbadguy
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't like the sauce they put on it.

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I really do think they tasted better years ago. Maybe its that my tastes have changed or maybe its because i know more about what they are made of.

Maybe 25 years ago they weren't made out of pig guts and seared pork stomachs?

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
As long as they aren't throwing in helpings of Mr. Ed or Barbaro then I guess all bets are off.

ROFL, but if Michelle Obama really cares about our health, she should quit giving it up, until this crap is illegal. :D

FAX
01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I bet one of the ingredients is Beaver Ass. Maybe two ingredients.

FAX

The Dawg?
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Gross.

QuikSsurfer
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't eat at that shithole... I've never had one

Predarat
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
ROFL, but if Michelle Obama really cares about our health, she should quit giving it up, until this crap is illegal. :D

I'm so tired of her trying to control what everyone else eats and drinks. Plus that diet shit she wants everyone to drink is not any/much better then regualar soda. 4 more years of the Obamas and the only thing we will be able to drink is gubbment regulated water.

Fish
01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
It's funny how many shun this one sandwich as if it's guaranteed death, when the rest of the food is just as bad...

How about some other interesting ingredients in McDonalds food?

McDonald's

The egg's reputation is recovering, but scrambled eggs as a part of McDonald's breakfast include much more than egg. Their pasteurized whole eggs have sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid, and monosodium phosphate (all added to preserve color), and nisin, a preservative. To top it off, the eggs are prepared with liquid margarine: liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils (trans fats), salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil (trans fat), soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, and beta carotene (color). Though not all bad, these added chemicals may be the reason why homemade scrambled eggs taste so much better than McDonald's.

For coffee drinkers, it would seem fairly safe to just grab a quick cup of coffee at McDonald's on the way to work. But many health conscious people would object to it also including this list of ingredients: sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate, Di-Acetyl Tartrate Ester of Monoglyceride, sodium stearoyl lactylate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium citrate, and carrageenan. Do health nuts still drink coffee?

Salads can usually be counted on to be a "what you see is what you get" item. But McDonald's adds some interesting ingredients. The salads with grilled chicken also have liquid margarine.

Several salads have either cilantro lime glaze, or orange glaze added. Along with many of McDonald's sauces, both the cilantro lime glaze and the orange glaze contain propylene glycol alginate. While propylene glycol is considered "GRAS" for human consumption, it is not legal for use in cat food because the safety hasn't been proven yet [10]. Propylene glycol is also used "As the killing and preserving agent in pitfall traps, usually used to capture ground beetles" [10].

The chili lime tortilla strips that are included in the southwest salads have several ingredients used to hide MSG. They also contain two ingredients that advertise the presence of MSG: disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate.

The chicken has sodium phosphates (of an unspecified variety). It could be trisodium phosphate (a cleanser), monosodium phosphate (a laxative), or disodium hydrogen phosphate [11]. Why would McDonald's add sodium phosphates (a foaming agent), and dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent in their crispy chicken breast fillets? It isn't dishwasher detergent.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1izql9C7J

Mmmmm... next time you're munching on a McD's salad, remember that it has ingredients that aren't even allowed in cat food, and are regarded as generally safe for consumption.. Generally safe...

Taco Bell

Taco Bell's website didn't have much emphasis on health. Under the nutrition guide, at the bottom was a link to Keep it Balanced, a token nod to health. It had no serious information on how to really eat healthy. They recommend foods like pizza and tacos (no surprise) because they may include ingredients from several food groups at once. Including several food groups does not necessarily mean it's a healthy food.

The seasoned beef, carne asada steak, spicy shredded chicken, and even the rice all include autolyzed yeast extract (hidden MSG). Disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate are flavor enhancers used in synergy with MSG [7,8]. Therefore, menu items with disodium inosinate and/or disodium guanylate also contain MSG. This includes the avocado ranch dressing, southwest chicken, citrus salsa, creamy jalapeno sauce, creamy lime sauce, lime seasoned red strips, pepper jack sauce, and seasoned rice.

According to Wikipedia, dimethylpolysiloxane is optically clear, and is generally considered to be inert, non-toxic, and non-flammable. It is used in silicone caulk, adhesives, and as an anti-foaming agent [6]. Appetizingly enough, it's also included in Taco Bell's rice.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1izrypibw

Mmmm.... Taco Bell caulk....

Wendy's

At Wendy's, there are several tempting salads. The mandarin chicken salad seems healthy at first glance. It has diced chicken, mandarin oranges, almonds, crispy noodles, your choice of dressings, and five different varieties of lettuce. Then reality takes a bite when you check the ingredients list. The almonds are roasted and salted. The crispy noodles are not whole grain. The mandarin orange segments are not freshly peeled oranges; most likely canned. The diced chicken has added autolyzed yeast extract (MSG), disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sodium phosphates (soap?), salt, more salt, sugar, modified cornstarch (sic)[1], and the universal umbrella ingredient list: spices, natural flavors, and artificial flavors.

In the ingredients lists for the salad dressings, one surprise was titanium dioxide in the Low Fat Honey Mustard Dressing and the Reduced Fat Creamy Ranch Dressing. It's a very versatile chemical. It can be used to manufacture paint, sunscreen, semiconductors, and food coloring [2].

Wendy's Southwest Taco Salad is a salad with Wendy's chili. Once again, the chili has hidden MSG: autolyzed yeast extract, spices, artificial flavors, natural flavorings, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate (MSG give-aways). It's puzzling to try to understand why their chili would need to include an anti-caking agent such as silicon dioxide (also known as sand, or glass powder).

See if you can spot the sunscreen, MSG, and soap in this Wendy's ingredient:

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1izsNOZSl

Subway

If a sandwich is advertised as healthy, one would expect that the bread would be whole grain. Not so with Subway's wheat bread. While it does have some whole wheat flour, it's the third ingredient, listed just before high fructose corn syrup [4]. None of Subway's breads are whole grain. Ammonium sulfate (a fertilizer) is also added. Unfinished sandwiches may be composted. The bread also contains azodicarbonamide. From Wikipedia,

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation [5].

Most of the meats at Subway contain MSG and/or sodium nitrite.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1izsiJZht

Chief Roundup
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
McDonalds is on the lower side of quality no matter the food product.

FAX
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
All that aside, Mr. KC Fish, our main concern should be Beaver Ass.

FAX

kysirsoze
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5Oa8tJzWgLU/R_HGNNG4EII/AAAAAAAAAJ0/2_PQiNEpvcU/s1600/008-mcrib-filetcu-sq.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-10-05-Screenshot20101005atOct.57.10.27AM.png

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/resize/281/216/85/2010/10/12/12/6k/sb/pogucab6w4xfv3.jpg?imageId=19895281

Dayze
serious question; why do so many commercials for McD's feature black customers?
I'm not being racist, but seriously...are they trying to market their product to black customers more than others?

Just seems odd to me.

Fish
All that aside, Mr. KC Fish, our main concern should be Beaver Ass.

FAX

Sadly, Beaver Ass would be about the only natural ingredient....

FAX
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Sadly, Beaver Ass would be about the only natural ingredient....

Oh, my God in Heaven!! They, no doubt, use Synthetic Beaver Ass, Mr. KC Fish. Synthetic Beaver Ass!!!

FAX

HemiEd
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm so tired of her trying to control what everyone else eats and drinks. Plus that diet shit she wants everyone to drink is not any/much better then regualar soda. 4 more years of the Obamas and the only thing we will be able to drink is gubbment regulated water.

In gray bottles, and her ass is big enough she has swallowed her share of Big Macs. :D

Fish
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh, my God in Heaven!! They, no doubt, use Synthetic Beaver Ass, Mr. KC Fish. Synthetic Beaver Ass!!!

FAX

Synthetic Beaver Ass isn't as easy as you'd think sir. We've only just recently managed to synthesize Mouse Ass: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/08/biologists-grow-replacement-sphincters-in-mice/1

And as you'd expect, that's a long ways from Beaver Ass...

chasedude
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
serious question; why do so many commercials for McD's feature black customers?
I'm not being racist, but seriously...are they trying to market their product to black customers more than others?

Just seems odd to me.

I've always wondered that. The commercials always have some kind of hiphop/rap/R&B beat to them.

Dayze
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I've always wondered that. The commercials always have some kind of hiphop/rap/R&B beat to them.

yeah..that too. :hmmm:

tooge
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Ok, so its pretty clear that these things are totally gross. So, who the hell eats them? Why the big "hey, the mcrib is back" campaign? Seriously. Some one has to be eating a shit ton of them or they wouldn't be brought back. So which one of you is it?

Dayze
01-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Ok, so its pretty clear that these things are totally gross. So, who the hell eats them? Why the big "hey, the mcrib is back" campaign? Seriously. Some one has to be eating a shit ton of them or they wouldn't be brought back. So which one of you is it?

hint: their name rhymes with "Spitlock".

chasedude
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
My Grandmother swears to them! I find them disgusting. If I want some BBQ I'm heading to a grill or something, not McD's

Fish
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvn94jzor91r7ui8go1_400.gif

Munson
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I haven't had one since I last worked at McD's as a teenager around 1999. I remember them being pretty good. I don't really have the urge to eat one again. I'll stick with good ol' fashioned cheeseburgers.

Frosty
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
So fast food is made from processed ingredients? :hmmm:

I'm shocked!

Also, there is nothing wrong with some Beaver ass. :harumph: Google "Sara Jean Underwood".

dmahurin
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
I remember liking them as a kid so I got one when it came back this time ( against my better judgement.). I only made it through 2 bites before I offered the patty to my dog. Even he refused to eat it. Worst thing I can remember eating in a long time.

Dayze
01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
to answer the original question 'Where are you on the McRib'? Probably on the toilet if I ate one.

Fish
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I remember liking them as a kid so I got one when it came back this time ( against my better judgement.). I only made it through 2 bites before I offered the patty to my dog. Even he refused to eat it. Worst thing I can remember eating in a long time.

LMAO... was your dog worried about the azodicarbonamide?

Al Bundy
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
You ask where am I on the McRib?
My answer. Sitting on the toilet for an hour if I eat one.

Kylo Ren
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Its pretty smart advertising. If it was on the menu all the time, I doubt people would ever eat it. Actually, McRibs are racist and anti-semitic.

The Rick
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Nutrition info is easy to find. Here you go:

McRib
=================
Calories: 500
Calories from Fat: 240

Total Fat: 26g
Saturated Fat: 10g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 70mg
Sodium: 980mg
Carbohydrates: 44g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 22g

And for comparison's sake, here's nutritional info for a Big Mac:

Big Mac
=================
Calories: 540
Calories from Fat: 260

Total Fat: 29g
Trans Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 75mg
Sodium: 1040mg
Carbohydrates: 45g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 25g

To me, the Big Mac looks slightly "worse" to eat than a McRib. :shrug:

sedated
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I guess I don’t have the problem with the ingredients that a lot of people seem to have. I mean, entire pigs are used as food in many cultures where they appreciate and use the whole carcass. It may not be what we are used to in America, but its still edible. I’d be a lot more concerned if they were using sawdust or rodents or something. And as said before, most of the chemicals are in the bread, so that’s likely common in more places than just the McDonald’s McRib.

Bearcat
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I had a few in high school, and would do it out of convenience when I was traveling a lot, but I've pretty much quit eating all fast food... not due to any news reports or even health, but because I can make it myself. McDonald's breakfast mcmuffins were the last to go, since it was so convenient, but I think the homemade kind with some tabasco sauce or salsa is much better.

I thought they were pretty good when I was in high school, compared to all the other junk I ate. These days, I might opt to go hungry.

mlyonsd
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
I eat at McD's probably 5 times a year for convenience. I'm not sure why I'd pick something like a McRib when a good old fashioned quarter pounder is available.

Kerberos
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I eat at McD's probably 5 times a year for convenience. I'm not sure why I'd pick something like a McRib when a good old fashioned quarter pounder is available.

Two words: Dollar Menu

You can get a McDouble for $1

Two patties with 1 slice of cheese between them on a bun. (w/pickles, onions and ketsup)

One of the best deals around IMHO.

I can't eat there much but when I do I get McDoubles and/or Spicy McChicken's ....Both are $1 each.

Stewie
01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
McRib Bun: Flour (wheat flour bleached and enriched with thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, iron, folic acid, malted barley flour), water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil). Contains 2 percent or less of dextrose, fumaric acid, calcium sulphate, salt, acetic acid, soy flour, monocalcium phosphate, ammonium sulphate, cornstarch, fungal protease, natural culture, ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid, azodicarbomide, mono- and diglycerides, propionic acid, phosphoric acid, corn flour, calcium peroxide, calcium propionate, dicetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides.Grab that store-bought loaf of bread in your kitchen and compare ingredients. I bet it looks like this (and this is 100% whole wheat):

http://healthycrush.com/wp-content/uploads/wonder-bread-ingredients.png

mlyonsd
01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Two words: Dollar Menu

You can get a McDouble for $1

Two patties with 1 slice of cheese between them on a bun. (w/pickles, onions and ketsup)

One of the best deals around IMHO.

I can't eat there much but when I do I get McDoubles and/or Spicy McChicken's ....Both are $1 each.This too.

Spott
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5Oa8tJzWgLU/R_HGNNG4EII/AAAAAAAAAJ0/2_PQiNEpvcU/s1600/008-mcrib-filetcu-sq.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-10-05-Screenshot20101005atOct.57.10.27AM.png

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/resize/281/216/85/2010/10/12/12/6k/sb/pogucab6w4xfv3.jpg?imageId=19895281

Somebody posted some pics like this a year or two ago showing how they were made. I haven't eaten one since.

Fish
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Grab that store-bought loaf of bread in your kitchen and compare ingredients. I bet it looks like this (and this is 100% whole wheat):

OHH SHIT WE CAN'T EAT ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9863/22000076.jpg

Potassium Bromate? Do you know what that is?

Death! Delicious Strawberry flavored death!!

BIG_DADDY
01-09-2012, 04:40 PM
I encourage everyone I can't stand to eat those bad boys.

sedated
01-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I encourage everyone I can't stand to eat those bad boys.

If you were given a choice between a McRib and anything on Olive Garden's menu, what would you choose?

ModSocks
01-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Meh.

I never understood the hype around the McRib. Tastes like any other fake, cheap imitation sandwich to me.

BIG_DADDY
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
If you were given a choice between a McRib and anything on Olive Garden's menu, what would you choose?

LMAO Olive Garden hands down. It may not be very good but at least you know what you're eating.

Abba-Dabba
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Hmm, McDonalds or the McDonalds of Italian food(if you can all it italian that is).

I'm taking McDonalds every time.

Only thing I will eat from Olive Garden is the soup, salad and breadsticks. All the rest is Ragu

Abba-Dabba
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
LMAO Olive Garden hands down. It may not be very good but at least you know what you're eating.

Uh, no you don't.

WV
01-09-2012, 05:11 PM

McDonalds and the only thing I can say I like at McDonalds is the fries. Olive Garden is highly overrated.

Bump
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I would never eat that crap again

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Nutrition info is easy to find. Here you go:

McRib
=================
Calories: 500
Calories from Fat: 240

Total Fat: 26g
Trans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 70mg
Sodium: 980mg
Carbohydrates: 44g
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 22g

And for comparison's sake, here's nutritional info for a Big Mac:

Big Mac
=================
Calories: 540
Calories from Fat: 260

Total Fat: 29g
Trans Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 75mg
Sodium: 1040mg
Carbohydrates: 45g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 25g

To me, the Big Mac looks slightly "worse" to eat than a McRib. :shrug:

Hey ! Look! It has NO trans Fat ! And LOTS of protein.

Dartgod
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
never had one and don't intend to

This, a thousand times THIS!

gblowfish
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
McDonald's is OK for breakfast. The Egg McMuffin is relatively harmless, and their coffee is OK. Occasionally I'll have a cinnamon roll, but they're hard to eat while driving.

chasedude
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
McDonald's is OK for breakfast. The Egg McMuffin is relatively harmless, and their coffee is OK. Occasionally I'll have a cinnamon roll, but they're hard to eat while driving.

I've heard, as fast food goes, the Egg McMuffin is the safest breakfast sandwich out there.

HemiEd
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I've heard, as fast food goes, the Egg McMuffin is the safest breakfast sandwich out there.

Used to make a regular habit of them, and loved them. They are only 300 calories, but they have 840mg of sodium. That is almost double the sodium I am trying to do daily.

memyselfI
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
They are made of the same ingredients that yoga mats are made of. I'd rather have my yoga mat under my feet than in my stomach.

Chiefnj2
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
They are made of the same ingredients that yoga mats are made of. I'd rather have my yoga mat under my feet than in my stomach.

That's the bun.

Stewie
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

And that ingredient is central to making tofu.

Fish
01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

That ingredient is also in just about any produced bread that you buy. And not just from fast food places, but grocery stores too.

Setsuna
01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Everyone who says they are gross have eaten and enjoyed one. Liars.

sedated
01-10-2012, 04:02 PM

And the award for least informed post in this thread goes to…

Stewie
01-10-2012, 04:08 PM

How dare you eat an egg! Do you realize what's in that thing?

serum albumin
vitellogenin
apovitellenins
ovalbumin
12 kDa serum protein
beta2-microglobulin
proteases nothepsin
thrombin
protease inhibitors
superoxide dismutase
glutathione peroxidase
alpha2-macroglobulin
white alpha2-macroglobulin
biotin
ovocleidin-116

:D

mlyonsd
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Sausage egg mcmuffins are awesome and so are their hash browns (if hot). Perfect meal with a milk.

SCTrojan
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I think there's a big warehouse where they keep the McRibs. They bring them back periodically so they can eventually get rid of the original stock they made.

jspchief
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Lol no one on CP eats McDonalds.

I eat mcribs on occasion, no pickle or onion. I'm not setting my calendar to when they come and go, but if its on the menu I might order it.

As for being unhealthy and full of questionable ingredients... well yeah, its fast food.

seclark
01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
i've eaten a few over the years, although i don't hit up mcdogdicks very often.

after reading this thread though, you have my word, i'll never eat another mcrib. i had no idea there were onions in those things...i hate onions.
sec