PDA

View Full Version : Life Getting second job as Papa John's driver

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I already work 8:30-5:30 at the job I've been at for 10 years. Need some extra cash so I got a job at Papa John's as a delivery driver from 6:30-midnight. I start this week. Anyone ever delivered pizzas? What kind of money will I be looking at? Does the job suck?

Jewish Rabbi
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Paging Hootie.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Maybe you will get the lady who answers the door in a towel which so conveniently falls off... :thumb:

bevischief
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
All the pizza you can eat.

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe you will get the lady who answers the door in a towel which so conveniently falls off... :thumb:

I'd be lying if I said that hadn't crossed my mind a time or three. LMAO

WV
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Good luck...can't see how the $$ will be great with the price of gas. Do they pay any of that or how does that work?

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Good luck...can't see how the $$ will be great with the price of gas. Do they pay any of that or how does that work?

I don't think they pay you for gas, but the good news is I drive a 40 mpg Toyota so that isn't so bad. I'm probably only going to work there for a couple months.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't think they pay you for gas, but the good news is I drive a 40 mpg Toyota so that isn't so bad. I'm probably only going to work there for a couple months.

Do you drive a Prius?

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Do you drive a Prius?

No I drive a Yaris. I was exaggerating. It's more like 30-34 mpg.

mlyonsd
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I've never delivered pizza but I admire your work ethic.

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I've never delivered pizza but I admire your work ethic.

Thanks. Though I might be able to last longer inside Kaley Cuoco than I will last working 2 jobs like this. We shall see.

Micjones
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I delivered pizza from 1997-2004 (roughly). Made great money then.
Now most delivery places cap the number of runs a driver can take.
Though I think they do pay more per run.

Also depends on the area you're delivering in.

When I drove, I could make anything from $100-$150 per night (in tips).

Dayze
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I had that gig for about a yr before I went into the service. There were several pastime guys/extra cash guys then. It was the best job I've had. Mostly on your own. Drive around. Listen to tunes. When it was really busy in the store itself it was nice to just walk in mad grab some pizzas and walk out etc.

Money was good. Tips were usually good aside from the occasional cheapster . I always liked having cash in my pocket. I would typically come home and toss my tips in a
Jar, and after a few weeks I had several hundred dollars....which was nice for a 18 yr old.

If I ever need extra cash I'll probably look at that gig again.

Bump
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I did that a while back, I got $1.50 for each delivery + tips and $7 per hour and we didn't claim tips, so I'd make about $150 in cash most nights and had a paycheck every 2 weeks for about $400-500. It wasn't bad, laid back, minimal supervision, smoke weed, all the pizza you could eat. Shit, I liked that better than my job now. It wasn't one of those corporate chains though, I'd imagine you wouldn't do as well there.

lcarus
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I delivered pizza from 1997-2004 (roughly). Made great money then.
Now most delivery places cap the number of runs a driver can take.
Though I think they do pay more per run.

Also depends on the area you're delivering in.

When I drove, I could make anything from $100-$150 per night (in tips).

That's cool. 100 a night in tips would be fantastic. The place I'm delivering is in South Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I don't know much about it. I hear mixed things about Broken Arrow. There's some upscale neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods from what I hear. I live in Tulsa. It's a short drive to BA.

Quesadilla Joe
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I used to work at Papa's as a pizza maker (also was a manager for two years) and I ****ing hated drivers. Easiest ****ing job on earth. They never have to lift a damn finger, the guys who work inside cook the pizzas and box them up and you just drive all day. Most of the drivers that worked at my Papa Johns just rode around and got high all day.

How much will you make? It depends on where you live and how busy you are. The Papa Johns where I worked was in a small West Virginia town but the drivers still pocketed around 75-100 bucks on Fridays and Saturdays (two busiest days of the week). And if you get lucky you could get a 50 dollar tip if you deliver to a high school or some office party or something.

In summary, delivering pizzas is one of the easiest jobs you can have.

mlyonsd
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks. Though I might be able to last longer inside Kaley Cuoco than I will last working 2 jobs like this. We shall see.:LOL:Ok, that made me laugh.

Monty
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I delivered pizzas back in the early to mid 80's. Can't offer much advice, but if someone tips you a beer, take it. :)

Also, find extra coupons for those times when the customer pays cash, you can just add the coupon later for a little tip.....assuming that's even possible. It was easy to do back the day....so I hear. ;)

mlyonsd
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Question for those that have done the job.

Pizza is my favorite food. Does driving around with the smell of it all night drive you nuts? Or do you get used to it?

Micjones
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Jar, and after a few weeks I had several hundred dollars....which was nice for a 18 yr old.

That's exactly when I first started working as a driver for Pizza Hut.
If I'd been more responsible...I could've stacked alot of money.

Having money everyday requires alot more discipline than being paid every two weeks.

Monty
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Question for those that have done the job.

Pizza is my favorite food. Does driving around with the smell of it all night drive you nuts? Or do you get used to it?

It didn't bother me. It was all I ate for 2 summers while going to college. Never tired of it.

Scorp
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I already work 8:30-5:30 at the job I've been at for 10 years. Need some extra cash so I got a job at Papa John's as a delivery driver from 6:30-midnight. I start this week. Anyone ever delivered pizzas? What kind of money will I be looking at? Does the job suck?

Papa John's drivers are the worst! The last one I robbed I only got like 40 bucks and.......errrr wait.....nevermind.

Micjones
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
That's cool. 100 a night in tips would be fantastic. The place I'm delivering is in South Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I don't know much about it. I hear mixed things about Broken Arrow. There's some upscale neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods from what I hear. I live in Tulsa. It's a short drive to BA.

Thing is, companies were more liberal then.
They never capped the number of runs a driver could take.
Much different system now. Now it's not unusual for a driver to be capped at 1-2 runs per trip. Cuts into your money.

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I was a Pizza Boy when I was a kid.... Fun job actually but gas was cheap then...

cardken
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks. Though I might be able to last longer inside Kaley Cuoco than I will last working 2 jobs like this. We shall see.

word!

Deberg_1990

Drivers hate guys like me. I always do carry out to avoid paying a tip. :)

Micjones
I was a Pizza Boy when I was a kid.... Fun job actually but gas was cheap then...

Another GREAT point. Gas was $1-$1.50 when I was driving.
Now? I'm not sure I could do that job.

You CAN file for your mileage, but you'll have to report your tips.

WV
01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I used to work at Papa's as a pizza maker (also was a manager for two years) and I ****ing hated drivers. Easiest ****ing job on earth. They never have to lift a damn finger, the guys who work inside cook the pizzas and box them up and you just drive all day. Most of the drivers that worked at my Papa Johns just rode around and got high all day.

How much will you make? It depends on where you live and how busy you are. The Papa Johns where I worked was in a small West Virginia town but the drivers still pocketed around 75-100 bucks on Fridays and Saturdays (two busiest days of the week). And if you get lucky you could get a 50 dollar tip if you deliver to a high school or some office party or something.

In summary, delivering pizzas is one of the easiest jobs you can have.

What small town in WV?

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Another GREAT point. Gas was $1-$1.50 when I was driving.
Now? I'm not sure I could do that job.

You CAN file for your mileage, but you'll have to report your tips.

Tires & Insurance was cheaper too

When I worked for Dominos back in the 80's we made minimum wadge + 4.5% to 6% depending on how many you delivered in a night plus tips... Back then I averaged bout 12 bucks an hour when it was busy

This was back in the 80's and not bad money

Bump
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Thing is, companies were more liberal then.
They never capped the number of runs a driver could take.
Much different system now. Now it's not unusual for a driver to be capped at 1-2 runs per trip. Cuts into your money.

that's gay, I'd take however many you could as long as it made sense with the direction I'd go. I also hear that although most places charge a delivery fee, none of it goes to the driver, which is gay to the extreme because a lot of people mistake that as a gratuity and companies just take the money to offset labor costs.

I bet it sucks doing it for a corporate place, like papa johns.

cardken
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
and......

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Papa Johns charges a delivery fee which would be fine if it went to the driver....

Bump
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I never did have any older hot ladies order a pizza with "extra anchovies"

disappointing to say the least

Bump
01-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Papa Johns charges a delivery fee which would be fine if it went to the driver....

I actually call up and ask how much of the fee goes to the driver. If they say 25 cents or significantly less than the amount charged, I tell them I won't order from them and hang up.

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I had naked chicks come to the door before when I delivered

InChiefsHeaven
01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Best part time job I ever had for extra cash back in the 90's. It's the only job where the busier you are, the happier you are. I delivered for Godfathers, and I used to love pulling up after a run only to see a bunch of pizzas in the delivery window. Pick em up, and off again. Make good use of the cell phone. If you are running late and call the people, they don't even get mad at you. Listen to tunes, drive around all night. Best part time gig ever.

I drove a little Datsun 510 P.O.S. Great on gas and perfect for delivery.

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I actually call up and ask how much of the fee goes to the driver. If they say 25 cents or significantly less than the amount charged, I tell them I won't order from them and hang up.

Yup , thats a good thing to do....

We have a good pizza joint about a mile from me, Large 2 topping for 999... good enough for me

InChiefsHeaven
PS. Godfathers charged a buck per delivery which went to the driver, so no matter what you got something for the delivery. With gas prices, I suppose it's not as lucrative as back when I did it, but if I ever had to work extra hours again, that's the only job I'd take.

R8RFAN
Best part time job I ever had for extra cash back in the 90's. It's the only job where the busier you are, the happier you are. I delivered for Godfathers, and I used to love pulling up after a run only to see a bunch of pizzas in the delivery window. Pick em up, and off again. Make good use of the cell phone. If you are running late and call the people, they don't even get mad at you. Listen to tunes, drive around all night. Best part time gig ever.

I drove a little Datsun 510 P.O.S. Great on gas and perfect for delivery.

No cell phones or GPS in the 80's just a big map on the wall.

Baby Lee
<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1377404" frameborder="0"></iframe>

LiveSteam
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I tipped a brother in marijuana once. He could smell the pot & ask if he could have a bud instead of the tip. I just gave him a bud + the tip

R8RFAN
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
When we got hungry and it was slow, one of us would prank call our own store a pizza to pick up, after about an hour they would let the crew eat it :)

cabletech94
01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
i loved it when i delivered. 1995-2005 or so. 30 hours a week during college. then waiter during lunch buffet. drove @ night. ate for free most of the time. also, met/worked with my eventual wife (still married).
we got paid min wage + mileage + tips. in SEKS it was a modest living, never made tons, but never went hungry and got all the bills paid. i loved it.
dependable vehicle is a HUUUUUGE need.
good luck.

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I never did have any older hot ladies order a pizza with "extra anchovies"

disappointing to say the least

LOL obscure joke, Loverboy...

Backwards Masking
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Pizza Boys will have their Fair Share of chances at No strings Attached Pussy, if they're decent looking.

Not as many as a Mailman delivering to Pampered House Wives while their Sugar Daddies are out Making Bread, but hey.

Dartgod
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I had naked chicks come to the door before when I delivered

Like this one?

http://www.bjorkaoddities.com/images/folder%2077/Ugly%20Women23.jpg

Micjones
01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
that's gay, I'd take however many you could as long as it made sense with the direction I'd go.

That was the only rule that ever existed when I worked for PH.
And even then, on a busy night, we could take runs that didn't necessarily go together.

I remember often taking 4-5 runs per trip.

Doesn't happen that way anymore.

I also hear that although most places charge a delivery fee , none of it goes to the driver

True.
I was LONG gone before they put that policy into place.
Hell, some of those places charge up to $2.50 for delivery.

which is gay to the extreme because a lot of people mistake that as a gratuity and companies just take the money to offset labor costs.

I think a lot of people realize it isn't going to the driver, but that extra $2 spent often guarantees they won't go ahead and tip you anyway.

RealSNR
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I did it for a summer for this in-house Italian restaurant. I probably only got like 8 or 9 deliveries per shift, and in between they'd have you work as a dishwasher in the kitchen, and when you closed you were in charge of cleaning the entire place along with two other managers.

It was kind of a fun job, and I made money no doubt. I think at a place like Papa John's, though, you'll get far more deliveries, you'll be spending more time driving, and you wouldn't be a kitchen bitch like I was.

Also, I got paid tips (very nice) but I only got $5.15/hour and $1 per delivery. And when you compare gas prices back then (still in the mid $2 range) that's not that great of a deal.

Johnny Vegas
01-10-2012, 07:03 PM
congrats! hope you don't deliver an order and get kidnapped and wake up with a bomb strapped around your neck.

Predarat
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
When they first started charging the fee, I thought it was automatic gratuity, what a bunch of greedy fucks. I gave a little more anyways but that still sucks, though now I know better. Do people tip alot less now?

RealSNR
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
When they first started charging the fee, I thought it was automatic gratuity, what a bunch of greedy fucks. I gave a little more anyways but that still sucks, though now I know better. Do people tip alot less now?Dude, drivers usually fill up their gas tanks once every 2 or 3 shifts. That $1.50 is there for a good reason.

mlyonsd
01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
When they first started charging the fee, I thought it was automatic gratuity, what a bunch of greedy ****s. I gave a little more anyways but that still sucks, though now I know better. Do people tip alot less now?If anything I tip more thinking the poor guy that is making my evening more enjoyable is stuck paying for his own gas. Last time the bill was $42 and I tipped him $10.

evolve27
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
good luck man

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Can a brotha get a large hand tossed with ham, sausage and green olives... throw a couple extra jalepenos in the box too will ya? You're the best dude.

Predarat
01-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Dude, drivers usually fill up their gas tanks once every 2 or 3 shifts. That $1.50 is there for a good reason.I know that now, it was just a few times plus I did give more then the fee, just not as much as usual. The companies that did that are to blame for deceiving the customers but in the end the drivers got screwed.

SAUTO
01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
A guy that delivers parts to me also works five nights a week for a minskys in kc.

Drives in a loop from kc to osage beach and about every shop in between every day, then delivers pizzas all night...

And has done it for something like 16 years. Too much for me
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I worked at Domino's back in the late 80s, I usually averaged around $7-8/hr, which wasn't bad scratch for a 19 yr old back then. Hell min wage was only like $3.50 at the time.

BryanBusby
01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Sock back some tips and buy a beater. Doing deliveries will tear your car up.

Beyond that, expect to be offered lots of weed and beer for tips and the rich people are more likely to give you a shitty tip.

lcarus
01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Drivers hate guys like me. I always do carry out to avoid paying a tip. :)

I do the same thing. Can't blame anyone for doing that. Paying a delivery fee on top of a tip for the driver....I'd rather just drive 3 blocks and pick it up myself.

lcarus
01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I did it for a summer for this in-house Italian restaurant. I probably only got like 8 or 9 deliveries per shift, and in between they'd have you work as a dishwasher in the kitchen, and when you closed you were in charge of cleaning the entire place along with two other managers.

It was kind of a fun job, and I made money no doubt. I think at a place like Papa John's, though, you'll get far more deliveries, you'll be spending more time driving, and you wouldn't be a kitchen bitch like I was.

Also, I got paid tips (very nice) but I only got $5.15/hour and $1 per delivery. And when you compare gas prices back then (still in the mid $2 range) that's not that great of a deal.

Luckily the location I'll be working at has no kitchen, it's just a pick-up/delivery outlet. At worst they'd have me help make the pizzas or take orders. I don't mind doing that.

J Diddy
01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
When they first started charging the fee, I thought it was automatic gratuity, what a bunch of greedy ****s. I gave a little more anyways but that still sucks, though now I know better. Do people tip alot less now?

They did this to offset the higher prices of fuel, which led to higher food prices and climbing labor cost. Basically, it was a raise on prices without calling it a raise on prices.

Tips can be good if you can get there quick and have an ounce of people skills. If you're late (definition of late was defined by Domino's 30 minute guarantee even that no longer exists) you are more than likely not going to get a good tip.

Dayze
01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
We actually needed up getting papa johns tonight. Although it was very bad. I called and returned the pizza and cheese sticks for refund. At first he said he'd credit it for our next purchase. Uh no. Noticed the delivery out time as 634pm and he arrived at 714 Pizza and cheese Bread looked like it was made hours before.

Irritating. But got a refund.

chiefs2012
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I was as a cook at a pizza restaurant for a couple years working my ass off for minimum wage while our delivery drivers were lazy potheads who made considerably more than me. I have little sympathy for them and prefer to just get carry out to avoid the charge/tip.

Fish
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
You'll encounter lots of casual marijuana. I suggest accepting at every opportunity. Considering. Tips will be better and the day goes by fast. Be aware that this advice is dated by 15 years. That's the extent of my delivery experience.

1ChiefsDan
01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I delivered pizzas in 1984. Don't think that will help you much.

TimeForWasp
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Where is my fucking pizza? It's been 45 minutes.

Hootie
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I've never delivered pizza but the drivers at my old restaurant made a lot...

I know jimmy johns drivers make about $16 an hour on average in Champaign, illinois...there are worse jobs ill tell you that...

Gps kind of dumbs the job down as well...im sure the good drivers from the past hate gps

Hootie
01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I worked at Domino's back in the late 80s, I usually averaged around $7-8/hr, which wasn't bad scratch for a 19 yr old back then. Hell min wage was only like $3.50 at the time.

Same ratio now...you were making 2X min wage same shit happens now...drivers at a chain like papa johns will make $15-$20 an hour on average

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I've never delivered pizza but the drivers at my old restaurant made a lot...

I know jimmy johns drivers make about $16 an hour on average in Champaign, illinois...there are worse jobs ill tell you that...

Gps kind of dumbs the job down as well...im sure the good drivers from the past hate gps
Anyone who needs a gps to find their way around in the city they live in shouldn't have a license to drive an automobile.

Rain Man
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Luckily the location I'll be working at has no kitchen, it's just a pick-up/delivery outlet. At worst they'd have me help make the pizzas or take orders. I don't mind doing that.

How do they cook pizzas with no kitchen? Do they install an oven in your car or something?

luv
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM

You must not have a life. Weekends free at least?

Okay, now I'll go back and read the thread to see if I've asked questions that have already been answered.

Rain Man
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Back when I worked at the steak house in high school and college, the steak house would actually deliver meals to the hotel that was across the parking lot, just because they could walk it over.

We had one gal who was roughly 18 years and 2 days old, really attractive if you like really slender types, and she was kind of slutty. She made fantastic tips delivering to the hotel next door, which I always found surprising since she was really slow. It would seem to take her a half-hour or so to walk across the parking lot and back.

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Okay, now I'll go back and read the thread to see if I've asked questions that have already been answered.
He's supposedly only going to do it for two months. I bet he burns himself out in half that time.

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
How do they cook pizzas with no kitchen? Do they install an oven in your car or something?
When I worked at Domino's, our "kitchen" consisted of a counter where we made the pizzas, an oven, and another counter where we cut the pizzas.

luv
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
He's supposedly only going to do it for two months. I bet he burns himself out in half that time.

I thought working and going to school would wear me out, and that was only until 10pm. It's been weird making the move back to normal life. Evenings go by faster than I remember.

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I thought working and going to school would wear me out, and that was only until 10pm. It's been weird making the move back to normal life. Evenings go by faster than I remember.
God I hated spending evenings in classes, I am so glad that is behind me. And I only did a fraction of what you did.

Bugeater
01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
What the hell, all of a sudden I have a ton of casino cash.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Keep a journal in your car to write down the addresses of people who don't tip.

Johnny Vegas
01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
What the hell, all of a sudden I have a ton of casino cash.

you're welcome but I put too many zero's can I have half that back?

Quesadilla Joe
01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
What small town in WV?

I live in Winfield and worked at the Papa Johns in Teays Valley.

Quesadilla Joe
01-11-2012, 12:08 AM

It does. Back when I worked there it was $1.30 per delivery and the driver got all of it. I think they might have even raised it a little bit since I left.

KcMizzou
01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I know a dude who works a part time job as a Pizza Hut delivery guy. He told me he gets $1, out of their $2.50 delivery charge.

lcarus
01-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Actually no I don't have a life. Well, my life consists of the 2 jobs, and a couple online classes. The pizza job will be Thursday-Sunday. So weekends are booked up. I'd much rather earn money and take classes than have a "life" sitting around eating tacos with other dudes my age and their "whose finger reeks of skank hole the most" competitions and their wicked American Eagle obsession.

lcarus
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM

My car came with an oven already installed. Actually all cars do. You just gotta know how to use them.

WV
01-11-2012, 12:52 AM

Interesting...I live in the eastern panhandle. Never knew you were from WV.

Simply Red
01-11-2012, 12:56 AM

yes, I have and it was after my divorce about 4 yrs ago, i delivered for a while to get caught up.

I made anywhere from 30-125$'s per shift. No, I thought the job was ok, not too sucky.

Inspector
01-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Radio financial advisor Dave Ramsey approves. I've heard him advise people to deliver pizza's to make extra $$ when they are having money problems.

Good luck. And good luck with those ladies who want the extra anchovies.

blaise
01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
I'd rather deliver pizza than wait tables. At least you only have to deal with the customers for like 30 seconds at the door.

kc rush
01-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I did it off and on in college a million years ago when gas was cheap. It was a pretty easy job. Most customers were pretty nice others were pure dick. I usually got a couple dollars in tips per delivery.

htismaqe
01-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Make sure you get your conceal and carry...

Predarat
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Radio financial advisor Dave Ramsey approves. I've heard him advise people to deliver pizza's to make extra $$ when they are having money problems.

Good luck. And good luck with those ladies who want the extra anchovies.

Just do NOT take his advice when he says to go deleiver newspapers especially if it is for a gannett newspaper. You work 7 days a week and it is a tough grind. The pay you get is not enough to help much considering how a paper route puts alot of wear and tear on a car. You spend alot of the money you make on tires, breaks and other repairs.

Scaga
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Not a bad gig....
The only thing that I really remember (from my stint back in the late 80s) is the woman in the see-thru nightie that everyone knew about and that awful smell that remained in your car (not from the woman...the pizza smell)

tooge
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
i did it in the 80s in high school. Easiest job ever. Back then, I'd run 10 to 15 deliveries on a night and make about $2 to $3 each, plus my crappy hourly wage of about $3.35. So, I'd make maybe $30 or $40 cash that I never claimed. Not bad for a 16 to 18 year old kid back then. Gas was cheaper, but so were the pizzas, so it probably all evens out.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM

I've been there before. Winfield, Dunbar and Huntington.

Demonpenz
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Will your car insurance transfer to making your vehicle a commercial vehicle?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Will your car insurance transfer to making your vehicle a commercial vehicle?

That's the part that has always puzzled me about pizza drivers. If you get in a wreck while delivering pizza, were you using your car for business purposes? In that case, will your insurance cover the damage?

sedated
01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
That's the part that has always puzzled me about pizza drivers. If you get in a wreck while delivering pizza, were you using your car for business purposes? In that case, will your insurance cover the damage?

I delivered pizzas in college, and got into 1 wreck. If you do, try to avoid telling them (the cops or insurance) you were delivering a pizza; just tell the cops you were on your way home from work. When my insurance found out about it, they told me that they wouldn’t cover any more damages that came from using my car as a delivery car, unless I get a policy that would cover commercial use of the vehicle. I went on delivering (without the insurance) but never put one of those magnetic advertisements on the top of my car in case I got into another wreck.

sedated
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
The best advice I can give is to get one of those hand-held spotlights. Once it gets dark, people either don’t turn on their porch lights, or the porch light doesn’t illuminate their address. I’d frequently spend time pulling into every driveway to try and find the right house, and sometimes had to get out and walk to the front door just to see the numbers.

And for people who order a lot of pizzas, get your damn address painted onto the curb, it could save you 10 minutes on your next pizza.

Bump
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
oh and this job is the 3rd most likely job to get murdered on the job, fyi

ThaVirus
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I currently deliver pizzas and I can tell you THIS:
The best advice I can give is to get one of those hand-held spotlights. Once it gets dark, people either don’t turn on their porch lights, or the porch light doesn’t illuminate their address. I’d frequently spend time pulling into every driveway to try and find the right house, and sometimes had to get out and walk to the front door just to see the numbers.

And for people who order a lot of pizzas, get your damn address painted onto the curb, it could save you 10 minutes on your next pizza.

You'd be surprised how many asshats don't turn their light on, don't have the number painted anywhere visible, or have the mail flag pushed down covering their address numbers.

It's the easiest job you'll ever have, that's for sure. It will make you hate and love people at the same time. You'll be shocked at how cheap some people can be, and how generous others can be.

And just to vent real quick, why the fuck do some people take for-fucking-ever to get to the door? HELLO?!? Did you forget you ordered a pizza 30 minutes ago, dickhead? Holy shit, that's annoying as fuck! And get your fucking money ready too. It's super inconsiderate to have the guy waiting at the door for your fat, lazy ass to lolligag your way to the bedroom and grab the $20 you should have had ready the minute after you got off the phone. The 10 minutes the pizza guy just spent at your door could have cost him another delivery or two. Think about it!

rico
01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I delivered pizzas all through college. Best job I have ever had. The tips could be straight up streaky from day to day though.

I once delivered a pizza to a dingy blonde girl (kind of hot) who was wearing a tye-dyed (sp?) Grateful Dead t-shirt and grey sweatpants. When she first opened the door, I could see her kid playing in the living room. She told me that she had to grab the money, so she closed the door and I stood there waiting for a while. When she opened the door again and handed me the money, her kid was no longer playing in the living room and her wardrobe had changed... she was now wearing a wife-beater (no bra) and a cut-off pair of long-johns (she didn't appear to be wearing anything under those either). It was kind of awkward. She was smiling at me and I just kind of stood there for about 30-45 seconds wondering what to do. I had a possessive girlfriend at the time who called me every 5 minutes and would freak out on me if I didn't answer the phone. Once I even caught her following me around town when I was delivering pizzas because she didn't think I was actually working. I ended up just thanking her for the $3 tip and walking back to my car....

R8RFAN
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
did you marry the obsessive possessive witch?

J Diddy
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM

I can answer that with a resounding no. First the owners will try to turn it over to the drivers insurance company. They will usually not only deny coverage but terminate the individuals policy. Then it comes down to the owner and in my case they negotiated an out of pocket settlement rather than have their insurance rates go up. If not then they carry liability insurance solely.

The only way the drivers vehicle is covered is if they carry commercial insurance on their vehicle which is pricey and suddenly doesn't make it worth it.

DumbHillbillies
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I delivered pizzas all through college. Best job I have ever had. The tips could be straight up streaky from day to day though.

I once delivered a pizza to a dingy blonde girl (kind of hot) who was wearing a tye-dyed (sp?) Grateful Dead t-shirt and grey sweatpants. When she first opened the door, I could see her kid playing in the living room. She told me that she had to grab the money, so she closed the door and I stood there waiting for a while. When she opened the door again and handed me the money, her kid was no longer playing in the living room and her wardrobe had changed... she was now wearing a wife-beater (no bra) and a cut-off pair of long-johns (she didn't appear to be wearing anything under those either). It was kind of awkward. She was smiling at me and I just kind of stood there for about 30-45 seconds wondering what to do. I had a possessive girlfriend at the time who called me every 5 minutes and would freak out on me if I didn't answer the phone. Once I even caught her following me around town when I was delivering pizzas because she didn't think I was actually working. I ended up just thanking her for the $3 tip and walking back to my car....

Doh !! Hindsight...should of tagged that ass real quick. I delivered pizzas for pizza hut for a while in college and thought it was a great job for young people/extra cash. No boss around you for most of the time, tax free tips plus minimum wage/hr, free pizza. Never got robbed but some of the delivers did...watch your back a little depending on what kind of neighborhood you are delivering in.

rico
01-11-2012, 02:42 PM
did you marry the obsessive possessive witch?

Haha, no.... I'm actually engaged to a girl I dated before her. After breaking up with the possessive witch, she became a huge hoochie mama.... which, she could have been a hoochie mama the entire 3-4 years we dated. I will never know.

ThaVirus
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM

You. ****ing. Pussy.

I wish I had some cool stories to tell from delivering but nothing special to note. I deliver in an affluent area and sometimes feel like I could finnagle some vagina out of these rich Windermere moms if I would just say "Hey, not to be rude or anything, but I was wondering if you wanted to **** real quick?". Of course this job is so easy so I would never risk it, but one of these days I just might.

rico
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Doh !! Hindsight...should of tagged that ass real quick. I delivered pizzas for pizza hut for a while in college and thought it was a great job for young people/extra cash. No boss around you for most of the time, tax free tips plus minimum wage/hr, free pizza. Never got robbed but some of the delivers did...watch your back a little depending on what kind of neighborhood you are delivering in.

The thought of being robbed crossed my mind a couple times. There was only one time where I left a place feeling anxious because I thought it was possible that I could be robbed. I delivered a pizza to the "ghetto" area of Dubuque, IA (if that's what you want to call it). This African American dude answered the door and was like, "come in dawg." I took a couple steps in his place and the guy told me to set the pizzas on the chair that was directly to the right of where I was standing. I stood there waiting for him to give me the money and he was like, "you have some balls man." I asked, "oh yeah, why is that?" He replied, "because I can cap you right now if I wanted to." I was on the verge of having a panic attack, but somehow managed to blurt, "well, this is the Dubz man, so that $hit usually doesn't cross my mind." He then replied with, "well if you were from Memphis it would cross your mind. Ya see, I'm from Memphis, Tennesee. In Memphis, drivers like you wouldn't step into a place like this because it's a 50/50 chance they get capped." I replied with, "wow, I didn't realize Memphis was that rough, man." He chuckled to himself and said, "sheeee-it......Iowa." He just stared at me for a minute or so... none of us said anything. Finally he walked up to me, handed me some money and calmly said, "get yo ass out of here white boy." Before leaving I wanted to make sure he didn't short me...in which he didn't, he actually left me a $1 tip. When he saw me counting the money, he said, "what? It's all there! You think because I am a black man that I be short changin' you?! Shee-it, you be short changed as hell if I take that money pounch from you." I just replied with, "thank you for the tip and enjoy the pizza, dude." He said, "yeah." And that was that.

Consistent1
01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd rather deliver pizza than wait tables. At least you only have to deal with the customers for like 30 seconds at the door.

No offense bud, but that is kinda crazy.

rico
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
You. ****ing. Pussy.

I wish I had some cool stories to tell from delivering but nothing special to note. I deliver in an affluent area and sometimes feel like I could finnagle some vagina out of these rich Windermere moms if I would just say "Hey, not to be rude or anything, but I was wondering if you wanted to **** real quick?". Of course this job is so easy so I would never risk it, but one of these days I just might.

Lol, join the ever-growing group of people (including myself) who have heard that story and called me a pussy for my lack of follow-through. In retrospect, I really didn't have much to lose... I didn't have any kids with my girlfriend... all I had to lose was a psycho/possessive girlfriend who I ended up breaking up with a year or so later anyways. I was lame in this one.

Consistent1
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
The thought of being robbed crossed my mind a couple times. There was only one time where I left a place feeling anxious because I thought it was possible that I could be robbed. I delivered a pizza to the "ghetto" area of Dubuque, IA (if that's what you want to call it). This African American dude answered the door and was like, "come in dawg." I took a couple steps in his place and the guy told me to set the pizzas on the chair that was directly to the right of where I was standing. I stood there waiting for him to give me the money and he was like, "you have some balls man." I asked, "oh yeah, why is that?" He replied, "because I can cap you right now if I wanted to." I was on the verge of having a panic attack, but somehow managed to blurt, "well, this is the Dubz man, so that $hit usually doesn't cross my mind." He then replied with, "well if you were from Memphis it would cross your mind. Ya see, I'm from Memphis, Tennesee. In Memphis, drivers like you wouldn't step into a place like this because it's a 50/50 chance they get capped." I replied with, "wow, I didn't realize Memphis was that rough, man." He chuckled to himself and said, "sheeee-it......Iowa." He just stared at me for a minute or so... none of us said anything. Finally he walked up to me, handed me some money and calmly said, "get yo ass out of here white boy." Before leaving I wanted to make sure he didn't short me...in which he didn't, he actually left me a $1 tip. When he saw me counting the money, he said, "what? It's all there! You think because I am a black man that I be short changin' you?! Shee-it, you be short changed as hell if I take that money pounch from you." I just replied with, "thank you for the tip and enjoy the pizza, dude." He said, "yeah." And that was that.

Damn, you know that dude was "relocated" to slang.

rico
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Damn, you know that dude was "relocated" to slang.

That crossed my mind afterwards.

Delivering pizzas has it's awkward moments as well.... I am unsure of what the rules are to link-dropping on here, but I wrote a story about getting this kid's handicapped mother's voice mixed up with a parrot when I delivered a pizza to them. http://ricoswaff.com/blog1/?p=1290 I felt like a bag of dix after that happened.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Delivering pizzas has it's awkward moments as well.... I am unsure of what the rules are to link-dropping on here, but I wrote a story about getting this kid's handicapped mother's voice mixed up with a parrot when I delivered a pizza to them. http://ricoswaff.com/blog1/?p=1290 I felt like a bag of dix after that happened.

LMAO Good read.

ThaVirus
01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
http://ricoswaff.com/blog1/?p=1290

Wow.............. YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!

Pasta Little Brioni
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
You ordered the Big Sausage amirite?

Jenson71
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Did you grow up in Dubuque?

lcarus
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Any bets on whether I could last longer inside Kaley Cuoco than I will last at this job? I start next Thursday...

For the record, I think I could last inside Kaley for about 3 minutes.

Visual aid (just because):
http://www.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/kaley_cuoco_hot_girl_bikini.jpg

rico
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow.............. YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!

Yeah, have been a few times.... but inadvertently in the Parrot Mom's case. :evil:

LMAO Good read.

Thanks, glad ya liked it!

Did you grow up in Dubuque?

I didn't grow up in Dubuque, but went to college at Loras (in Dubuque). Dubuque is a unique place.