PDA

View Full Version : Football Packers OC Philbin on indefinite leave after his son's death

Shaid
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Wow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e95f0/article/packers-coaches-split-philbins-duties-as-he-mourns-sons-death?module=HP11_headline_stack

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy called it a "punch in the heart," briefly choking up with emotion about the death of Michael Philbin, the son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.

With Sunday's divisional playoff game against the New York Giants to prepare for -- and a Super Bowl repeat to strive for -- real life has knocked the Packers back.

Philbin wasn't with the team Wednesday, and he'll be away indefinitely as he and his family deal with the loss of Michael, whose body was recovered from an icy Wisconsin river Monday.

McCarthy said he and the rest of his offensive assistant coaches are dividing up Philbin's responsibilities and will continue to do so as long as they need to. McCarthy said Philbin is with his family, "where he's supposed to be."

Chief Roundup
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Well this will hurt the Packers some, but not a lot.

milkman
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Did Michael throw himself in the river because he was afarid his dad would take the HC job with the Chiefs and be tied to Matt Cassel?

Too soon?

RealSNR
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Did Michael throw himself in the river because he was afarid his dad would take the HC job with the Chiefs and be tied to Matt Cassel?

Too soon?Eh, cry me a river.

Baby Lee
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
From the sound of it more likely he was a little buzzed and got disoriented. He had called friends 20 minutes prior [no insight into content or demeanor, but no mention of despondence or alarm], and fell through thin ice, not jumped into a river.

suzzer99
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Wait was this a different kid than the one accused of date rape or w/e?

Phobia
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Wait was this a different kid than the one accused of date rape or w/e?

Same kid. Not accused. Convicted of sexual assault x2.

Setsuna
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Drowning is the worst way to die.

go bo
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM

sounds like you are speaking from personal experience...

Dylan
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Sad. My thoughts are with Joe Philbin and his family during this sad and difficult time.

Packers have a ring -- Giants have a ring. May the best team win!

Setsuna
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
sounds like you are speaking from personal experience...

I've had my share of near death experiences to drowning. All when I was pretty young but I remember them vividly.

Bump
01-11-2012, 10:08 PM

nah, if you knew you were gonna die, one deep breath would probably do it quick. Getting tortured for hours or a fire would be worse.

suzzer99
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure having your nuts squeezed in a vice until you finally die from bleeding out/infection while you watch your family get raped and tortured would be worse than drowning.

Just sayin