PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel post Haley\Muir...if he could improve on one thing..

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
ok so it sounds like Cassel is going to be the man next season. Yes, we all know CP says he sucks at life and isn't the answer. having said that he is going to be our QB it seems whether we like it or not.

I am not sold that our offense had to be so conservative because of Cassel. I think Haley had a lot to do with that. In hindsight I think we are going to see a lot of Haley's fail in comparison to a new coaching staff. Yes, Haley did some good things, I don't want to take that away from him. But I think the fact that he couldn't keep an OC on staff puts his thumbprint on this ridiculous offensive scheme we have seen for 3 years. Plus our O-line has been shit for 3 years as well. Pioli sounds like he finally realizes that fact so I expect to see more talent on that side of the ball next season.

That being said, if you could pick one area for Cassel to improve, (Lord knows there are plenty) what would it be?

Personally I think if he improved on his progressions he would eliminate a lot of the suck.

Shogun
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm not gonna say everything needs improvement.

But everything sucks ass.

milkman
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Clipboard carrying.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not gonna say everything needs improvement.

But everything sucks ass.

Goes without saying but if you had to choose one thing he improved on what would that be? Arm strenght? Accuracy? Progressions? Yes, I know that answer to that is "Yes" but...

BigMeatballDave
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
The improvement will be the return of JC

the Talking Can
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
one thing?

be less of a worthless piece of shit

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
The improvement will be the return of JC

Yeah but that improves ANY QB

RealSNR
01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
We need to hire John Elway so he can tell Cassel to pull the trigger

Psyko Tek
01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Goes without saying but if you had to choose one thing he improved on what would that be? Arm strenght? Accuracy? Progressions? Yes, I know that answer to that is "Yes" but...

e need to improve on the time he spends on IR
he did a decent job this year, but I hope to see him spend the whole season on it next year

milkman
01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
The problem is that if you could only get one area of improvement, you still have a QB that isn't fit to start in the UFL, so what the hell is the point?

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
He has to wind up to throw the ball more than 15 yards, he can't read defenses very well, he's not very accurate, he is a one read quarterback.

He's basically a much less mobile, slightly better throwing quarterback that Tim Tebow.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Pocket poise. But good luck teaching that to a chicken shit.

the Talking Can
01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
i like where this thread is going

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Explain more, please

Baby Lee
01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
smallest set I can limit it to is two.

quicker and more accurate assessment of developments in the flow of play.
hitting receivers in stride to cut down on, at best momentum killing adjustment, at worst injury risking stasis.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Explain more, please

fuck. I'mon my phone, but here goes. He absolutely crumbles at the first sign of pressure. You can see fear in his eyes. It affects his decision making, it's the biggest reason he locks onto receivers IMO, and it makes him panic ato the point it already hurts his poor accuracy. He's simply afraid of getting hit, and I don't think an all world line could fix it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Morph into Joe Montana. Hell even if he's just pretending he's Joe Montana. Hell I'd even settle for Eli Manning.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Making decisions quicker.

He is too scared to do this, though.

He often times makes the correct decision, but not on time.

He needs to learn to get the ball out and stop worrying about making mistakes so much.

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Stanzi was a 5th round draft pick and I think he has better qb skills than Cassel. Save for the experience.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:22 PM
****. I'mon my phone, but here goes. He absolutely crumbles at the first sign of pressure. You can see fear in his eyes. It affects his decision making, it's the biggest reason he locks onto receivers IMO, and it makes him panic ato the point it already hurts his poor accuracy. He's simply afraid of getting hit, and I don't think an all world line could fix it.

Fair enough though I do think some of that has to do with the o-line and offensive play calling. I mean the Dude has had some of the worst O-line play we have seen.

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
He's not good from the pocket. He never has been, hell NE had to morph into basically a different offensive system to allow him to play. They had to basically go to a one read offense. And he still lead the league in sacks.

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
How do you explain the fact that when Orton came in the last three games, the offensive line gave up what 1 sack?

Against Clay Matthews, The Raiders dline, and Dumerville and Miller.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
How do you explain the fact that when Orton came in the last three games, the offensive line gave up what 1 sack?

Better play calling between the 20's. A lot mroe play action I thought. I do agree Cassel hold the ball too long

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Fair enough though I do think some of that has to do with the o-line and offensive play calling. I mean the Dude has had some of the worst O-line play we have seen.

not even close. We'vehad worse O-line play. But not only that, while I cocede play calling has been an issue, we're talking Cassel. And I can think of two dozen plays roughly off the top of my head where he's missed WIDE open receivers to take an ill advised checkdown. I know I'm not the only one.

Rasputin
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd like him to practice at getting better & here is a way that may work out for the better of the good for every one involved.

Blind fold him, turn him around 10 times, line him up, and have him run strait into an aids forest.

If he comes out on the other side then he past a test.

Turn him around again and this time set the forest on fire and have him run through it again.

Makes it through again then his skill set is better than we assume.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
not even close. We'vehad worse O-line play. But not only that, while I cocede play calling has been an issue, we're talking Cassel. And I can think of two dozen plays roughly off the top of my head where he's missed WIDE open receivers to take an ill advised checkdown. I know I'm not the only one.

Oh I agree. But as I said I am not convinced that's all him. Could be. But I think Haley could very well have dictated that as well in a concern to play conservative and not chance a turnover. We won't know that for sure until next season, of course but that's my hope anyway.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
He's not good from the pocket. He never has been, hell NE had to morph into basically a different offensive system to allow him to play. They had to basically go to a one read offense. And he still lead the league in sacks.

That's not entirely accurate.

They ran their offense out of the shotgun and spread teams out more.

He was actually coached to take sacks.

It was a device being used to try to help him continue to go through his progressions. When it stopped working around mid season, they started telling him to just throw it away after his second read because they had basically given up on trying to get him to do more than that.

That's why Moss, Wekler and his backs had the lions share of his yards.

If you are in a 2 read and dump offense and those guys are Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Kevin Faulk...you can be perceived as pretty good when you really aren't forced to look for anybody else.

Lipstick meet pig.

Here we are, 3 years later and he hasn't gotten any better.

I don't even care if he starts the year as the starter, but if he is still in that capacity by game 5 or 6, this team can drink antifreeze till he is gone.

milkman
01-11-2012, 07:35 PM
The bottom line is that the O-Line needs improvements, but they are not as bad as Cassel makes them look.

They can be described as adequate.

Matt Cassel can not.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh I agree. But as I said I am not convinced that's all him. Could be. But I think Haley could very well have dictated that as well in a concern to play conservative and not chance a turnover. We won't know that for sure until next season, of course but that's my hope anyway.

that's a stretch, but hey, what's life without hope? I won't fault you for that.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
The bottom line is that the O-Line needs improvements, but they are not as bad as Cassel makes them look.

They can be described as adequate.

Matt Cassel can not.

Adequate? Hardly. Our O-line suckes ass. We couldn't pick up short yardage to save our lives.

JoeyChuckles
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
ok so it sounds like Cassel is going to be the man next season. Yes, we all know CP says he sucks at life and isn't the answer. having said that he is going to be our QB it seems whether we like it or not.

I am not sold that our offense had to be so conservative because of Cassel. I think Haley had a lot to do with that. In hindsight I think we are going to see a lot of Haley's fail in comparison to a new coaching staff. Yes, Haley did some good things, I don't want to take that away from him. But I think the fact that he couldn't keep an OC on staff puts his thumbprint on this ridiculous offensive scheme we have seen for 3 years. Plus our O-line has been shit for 3 years as well. Pioli sounds like he finally realizes that fact so I expect to see more talent on that side of the ball next season.

That being said, if you could pick one area for Cassel to improve, (Lord knows there are plenty) what would it be?

Personally I think if he improved on his progressions he would eliminate a lot of the suck.

Where is everyone getting the idea that Cassel wil be QB? Just because it's happened before?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Adequate? Hardly. Our O-line suckes ass. We couldn't pick up short yardage to save our lives.

run protection has nothing to do with pass protection. Nothing. 1 sack in the last 3 games. Same line. Different QB.

milkman
01-11-2012, 07:38 PM

We are talking about pass protection and Matt Cassel.

Everyone knows this team is not built for power.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
We are talking about pass protection and Matt Cassel.

Everyone knows this team is not built for power.

you're not mad at me about that thread the other night, are you pops?

reschief
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

I know the numbers Orton has put up compare to Cassel, but Orton just operates more effectively in and out of the pocket - he makes plays where Cassel folds. Orton has some upside, Cassel has none.

KChiefer
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM

This.

milkman
you're not mad at me about that thread the other night, are you pops?

Only that you were late in it's creation, so I missed the damn party.

Damn kid.....

O.city

We couldn't pick up short yardage, because our oline is a zone blocking oline. Light, quick oline.

I'm not saying we have an all world oline, but take the true fan glasses off pete. Replace the C and RT and it would be solid. That's with Lilja at LG, who should probably be upgraded.

Simplicity
Well least we don't have this d-bag anymore vvvvvv
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/szbJzvnkHEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
run protection has nothing to do with pass protection. Nothing. 1 sack in the last 3 games. Same line. Different QB.

I can't argue with that...

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
We know what Cassel is.

I'm a little interested in seeing what Orton could do with the weapons we could have on the field next year. In CHicago and Denver, he never had what he could have here next year.

Do I think he could win a SB? No
Playoff game? Sure

That said, he needs to be a stop gap.

CoMoChief
01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Better pocket awareness
Going through his reads quicker, and not locking onto 1 WR (Bowe).
Know where the first down markers are

Mr. Flopnuts
01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Let me say this, congrats Pete on starting a thread I actually felt like responding to thatzs Chiefs related. It's been awhile.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
With just a right tackle upgrade and anybody but Cassel playing quarterback, we have one of the top 10 lines in the league.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
With just a right tackle upgrade and anybody but Cassel playing quarterback, we have one of the top 10 lines in the league.

No way....not even fucking close.

reschief
01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
We know what Cassel is.

I'm a little interested in seeing what Orton could do with the weapons we could have on the field next year. In CHicago and Denver, he never had what he could have here next year.

Do I think he could win a SB? No
Playoff game? Sure

That said, he needs to be a stop gap.

Agreed. But why can't Pioli just say, "I could've been wrong about Cassel, so let's bring back Orton & simply see who are starter will be after training camp." Competition right? There's not much chance we can draft the QB of the future this draft, so it only makes sense to use Orton as that stop-gap until then.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Agreed. But why can't Pioli just say, "I could've been wrong about Cassel, so let's bring back Orton & simply see who are starter will be after training camp." Competition right? There's not much chance we can draft the QB of the future this draft, so it only makes sense to use Orton as that stop-gap until then.

That's what I don't get. Why would Pioli hitch his wagon to Cassel of all people?

O.city
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Dunno bro.

I actually have mixed emotions on what Pioli will do this offseason. I really don't think Romeo wants Cassel. I know his presser and all, but his comments during the season were a little different.

I would like to see what Orton can do. Call me crazy. I've always thought he was alot better than people give him credit for.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Dunno bro.

I actually have mixed emotions on what Pioli will do this offseason. I really don't think Romeo wants Cassel. I know his presser and all, but his comments during the season were a little different.

I would like to see what Orton can do. Call me crazy. I've always thought he was alot better than people give him credit for.

I'd prefer Orton as well.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
No way....not even fucking close.

Albert - almost made the probowl
Lilja - had a down year, but I think that was more due to a declining Weigmann than his own play eroding.
Hudson - showed to be a stud interior linemen in limited action
Asamoah - had a great year. Handled Suh and many other good DT on single blocks

Those 4 are solid, but we should probably get Liljas replacement in line as this is the last year of his contract iirc and he is getting close to "that point"

IMO we can upgrade this OL big time with a mid rounder.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
IMO Orton isn't the stinky turd some say he is. He throws the ball well, seems pretty smart football wise, and wants to win.

He's kinda got the shaft everywhere he has been. Granted in Denver he had a bad record, but I don't put that all on him.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Albert - almost made the probowl
Lilja - had a down year, but I think that was more due to a declining Weigmann than his own play eroding.
Hudson - showed to be a stud interior linemen in limited action
Asamoah - had a great year. Handled Suh and many other good DT on single blocks

Those 4 are solid, but we should probably get Liljas replacement in line as this is the last year of his contract iirc and he is getting close to "that point"

IMO we can upgrade this OL big time with a mid rounder.

We need a RT, yes...I am not sold on Lilja and we have yet to see Hudson really play a lot so jury is still out there.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:03 PM
It was said in the draft forum by of all people Sac, but if we grabbed Konz in the first and a RT somewhere we would have a great oline.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
It was said in the draft forum by of all people Sac, but if we grabbed Konz in the first and a RT somewhere we would have a great oline.

Can we trade down to do that and pick up some more picks?

Bowser
01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
One thing? Everything.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
We need a RT, yes...I am not sold on Lilja and we have yet to see Hudson really play a lot so jury is still out there.

Hudson played really well against Pitt and the Bears.

Sorry if this is old as I've said it in alot of other threads but here would be my offseason.

Decide what to do with Hudson. C or LG.

If it's C, grab Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks, whichever one hits FA. Draft the best RT available in the second round. Draft BPA in the first round. Sign Orton.

Granted this is if you arent trading up to get one of the big two QBS

A line of

Albert, Nicks, Hudson, Asamoah, Nate Potter would be pretty salty IMO.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Can we trade down to do that and pick up some more picks?

Sure sure. If someone is willing I damn sure would. Say down to the early 20s.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM

We could have 5 first or second rounders on the OL and sac would want us to spend 2 more every year.

If we traded up to second overall, the guy would be hoping for Kalil.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
We could have 5 first or second rounders on the OL and sac would want us to spend 2 more every year.

If we traded up to second overall, the guy would be hoping for Kalil.

I know I know.

Window Licking Whiner
01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
The one thing he can improve on: Watching some other QB start

whoman69
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Picking one thing to fix with Cassel is like believing an oil change can get a Pinto running like brand new. He doesn't move his protections. He doesn't have a sufficient arm to get the ball downfield nor does he trust himself to make those throws. He can't read his progressions. He holds on to the ball too long.

Stop making excuses with the O-line. The pressure is coming from in front of him usually with Richardson. Funny how it wasn't an issue when Orton and Palko. Good QBs avoid the pressure and get rid of the ball or find an open receiver.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
If somebody good falls to us, we could move down to 20 or so and I bet Riley Reiff is still on the board.

At that point, he would be a pretty darn good pick.

Especially if we could add a future #1 by moving down.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Picking one thing to fix with Cassel is like believing an oil change can get a Pinto running like brand new. He doesn't move his protections. He doesn't have a sufficient arm to get the ball downfield nor does he trust himself to make those throws. He can't read his progressions. He holds on to the ball too long.

Stop making excuses with the O-line. The pressure is coming from in front of him usually with Richardson. Funny how it wasn't an issue when Orton and Palko. Good QBs avoid the pressure and get rid of the ball or find an open receiver.

ah, just need a little Slick 50!

Dr. Gigglepants
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
He could be serviceable if his sphincter didn't turn into Old Faithful at the first hint of pressure. I don't think he's fixable.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:15 PM
If someone offers us a number 1 to move down, I'd do it for sure.

Move down, take Konz. Use that first next year as ammo to move up and take Barkley.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
All of Cassels problems basically boil down to one thing. He can't stay calm in the pocket when pressure comes.

When he stays poised in the pocket he can be servicable.

reschief
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
IMO Orton isn't the stinky turd some say he is. He throws the ball well, seems pretty smart football wise, and wants to win.

He's kinda got the shaft everywhere he has been. Granted in Denver he had a bad record, but I don't put that all on him.

It's hard to forget that ripping Orton put on us last year. Maybe I have a short memory, but I can't recall Cassel ever having a game like that for us. If Orton is no good, why did the Bears & Boys want him when he was cut by the Donks? Orton may be pretty good at play action when Charles comes back healthy.

Bowser
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
All of Cassels problems basically boil down to one thing. He can't stay calm in the pocket when pressure comes.

When he stays poised in the pocket he can be servicable.

Cassel is a great QB when everything around him unfolds perfectly and his #1 receiver is open.

If any of that doesn't happen, it's a roll of the loaded dice.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
If Orton isn't re-signed, StanziMania will be running wild by this time next year.

I think Reiff would upgrade this line more so than Konz.

Albert
Lilja
Hudson
Asamoah
Reiff

I'm not s big fan of Reiff because of where we are picking, if we made the playoffs and ended up picking early to mid 20s, I'd be vocal about Reiff.

He will be one of the better right tackles in the NFL and gives you a guy that can be a serviceable left tackle if you are in a pinch...you wouldn't need to "hide him" by any means.

Either scenario is acceptable, I just have my bias.

O.city
01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
If Orton isn't re-signed, StanziMania will be running wild by this time next year.

I think Reiff would upgrade this line more so than Konz.

Albert
Lilja
Hudson
Asamoah
Reiff

I'm not s big fan of Reiff because of where we are picking, if we made the playoffs and ended up picking early to mid 20s, I'd be vocal about Reiff.

He will be one of the better right tackles in the NFL and gives you a guy that can be a serviceable left tackle if you are in a pinch...you wouldn't need to "hide him" by any means.

Either scenario is acceptable, I just have my bias.

Thta would be fine. I'd go one farther and replace Lilja with one of the guys I said earlier. Grubbs or Nicks.

Would JIMP.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Thta would be fine. I'd go one farther and replace Lilja with one of the guys I said earlier. Grubbs or Nicks.

Would JIMP.

I didn't think Lilja was all that good this year. I thought he got mowed over a lot but that could have something to do with our C being blown over by a whiff of bad breath.

stonedstooge
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Cassholes a gunshy birddog.

durtyrute
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Pocket awareness, or poise like someone pointed out. When things get too tight in there he panics, and starts dancing around like a chimp.

Smed1065
01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
If it was one thing, this would not be a thread.

:banghead:

Smed1065
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Poise, Arm. Non-use of depends. Self reflection would equal heart, IMO/

petegz28
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Pocket awareness, or poise like someone pointed out. When things get too tight in there he panics, and starts dancing around like a chimp.

I think pocket poise = reading progressions...all amounts to the same thing.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Toughness ... everyone talks about how tough he is but he plays scared in the pocket.

Completing the pass must be more important than avoiding the hit. One of the first plays Orton made was a blitz on the backside. Orton saw the blitz and turn right into and threw the ball just like he was supposed to. He took a shot to the chin for his trouble. THAT ... is what Cassel doesn't like to do. He would of seen the blitz and pulled the ball down and curled up into the fetal position or tried to run. Defenses see that and know that if they blitz that Cassel will get spooked and not even try the pass. Making a defense pay when they blitz is a hugh help to the offense.

So again, i choose Toughness ... be less worried about getting hit than he is finding the receiver and completing the pass.

btw - that is what helped Cassel when he got into the fight during a game with Haley imo. Cassel was too busy being pissed to be as nervous/scared and he played better.

Smed1065
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I think pocket poise = reading progressions...all amounts to the same thing.

I disagree.

Poise is extending plays, not shitting if one rusher gets by.

Progression is how quick to next possibility as well as how many possibilities with 2 seconds left.

IMHO.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I disagree.

Poise is extending plays, not shitting if one rusher gets by.

Progression is how quick to next possibility as well as how many possibilities with 2 seconds left.

IMHO.
well ... having poise LEADS to better progession

they are tied together

Lightrise
01-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Abandon the 3 step drop and catch a bus out of town.

ceebz
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
His release. Cassel sails the ball on almost each and every fucking throw.

Did anyone notice that once Orton was playing QB, the Chiefs started throwing the ball downfield to McCluster, instead of all of his touches in the passing game being behind the line of scrimmage?

If Cassel could improve that, and the Chiefs put an all-pro line in front of him, Cassel might become a serviceable QB.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
His release. Cassel sails the ball on almost each and every ****ing throw.

Did anyone notice that once Orton was playing QB, the Chiefs started throwing the ball downfield to McCluster, instead of all of his touches in the passing game being behind the line of scrimmage?

If Cassel could improve that, and the Chiefs put an all-pro line in front of him, Cassel might become a serviceable QB.

I think the McCluster thing was Haley...I really do. I think a lot of the playcalling was Haley. Haley proved he was a stubborn fuck with Palko. Nothing to persuade me that he had his idea of how to use Dex as well.

DeezNutz
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Game awareness.

Cassel's is so piss poor that it's amazing, and it's evident from this deficiency that he didn't play the position in college.

O.city
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Game awareness.

Cassel's is so piss poor that it's amazing, and it's evident from this deficiency that he didn't play the position in college.

This. A thousand times over.

He's basically started at quarterback for what 4 years since high school and he's 30?

petegz28
01-11-2012, 09:13 PM
This. A thousand times over.

He's basically started at quarterback for what 4 years since high school and he's 30?

That's why I am wondering why Pioli is so hooked on him? He is basically learning how to play the position. Not just make the adjustment from college to the NFL but actually how to play QB post high school.

O.city
01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
That's why I am wondering why Pioli is so hooked on him? He is basically learning how to play the position. Not just make the adjustment from college to the NFL but actually how to play QB post high school.

Yep.

I don't get it.

He must be in love with his work ethic.

Or Cassel has naked pics of Pioli banging a panda bear.

petegz28
01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
so basically what I have heard is pocket presence, i.e. better progression reads and quicker release as the majority of what people want to see him improve.

O.city
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
The problem with that pete, is that its not likely something he can learn.

Most experts say a qb either has pocket presence or doesn't. I hope I am wrong.

milkman
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
If it was one thing, this would not be a thread.

:banghead:

Quoting simply because it makes sense.

Mark the calender.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
The problem with that pete, is that its not likely something he can learn.

Most experts say a qb either has pocket presence or doesn't. I hope I am wrong.
not being a pussy can be changed

If he is determine to stand there and deliver the ball no matter what.

Half the problem is that he anticipates getting hit, drops his eyes and then it takes too long for him to look back up and find an open receiver.

loce1959
01-11-2012, 09:31 PM
He does not have an arm. Orton proved that. His lack of poise put pressure on a so-so offensive line. Given a perfect situation, yeah, he wouldn't necessarily suck. However, he is not going to be a game changer. We simply have to get a quarterback. I would like to see Flynn here. His arm looked strong and the game did not seem to be too fast for him.

BossChief
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
not being a pussy can be changed

If he is determine to stand there and deliver the ball no matter what.

Half the problem is that he anticipates getting hit, drops his eyes and then it takes too long for him to look back up and find an open receiver.

Dude shits his pants at the glimpse of pressure and then anticipates pressure in situations where there is none.

Matt Cassel has always had that problem.

They tried working it out of his game in NE and we have tried to for 3 years in KC.

The only hope is to hide it by playcalling and he is already at the point where opposing defenses have him pegged.

Matt Cassel was lucky to have caught the eye of a guy like Scott Pioli, without him he would have never made it to the NFL and would be totally removed from the game by now.

Matt Cassel has never won an open quarterback competition and if Orton is re-signed...that trend will continue.

If Orton doesn't re-sign, Stanzi will take the job before the midway point. My hope is that we have the bye around week 6-8 and a winnable home game following it as that would be what I would look forward to for next year.

TimeForWasp
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
He telegraphs his throws. If he would just pump fake, the opposing defense would bite on it. They should make him pump fake in practice before he is allowed to throw it.

the Talking Can
01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
plus, he sucks

BossChief
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
To properly utilize a pump fake, he must be able to properly go through progressions first.

He doesn't pump fake, look off the safety, or even look all the way across the field at all his targets.

He looks at Bowe or Breaston and then dumps it off if he isn't open.

the Talking Can
01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Boys To Men...if they could improve one thing...

TimeForWasp
01-11-2012, 10:23 PM
To properly utilize a pump fake, he must be able to properly go through progressions first.

He doesn't pump fake, look off the safety, or even look all the way across the field at all his targets.

He looks at Bowe or Breaston and then dumps it off if he isn't open.

That's just it, look a Bowe, breaston, pump fake , buying him time, to either find another reciever or it could even open up Bowe or Breason . Hopefully he was watching Orton and learned.

TimeForWasp
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
He reminds me of a tall lanky guy in basic training. When we marched , everyone was in cadence except him, His head was bobbing up opposite to everyone else.

lcarus
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
This is a tough ass question...

I don't know, but I see A LOT of wide open receivers streaking across the field that go unnoticed by Mr. Cassel in favor of a dumpoff to a RB. Even when there isn't much pressure.

jlscorpio
01-11-2012, 10:39 PM
we all know Casshole will never be worth a fuck. U can't unpussify a pussy. But in keeping with the spirit of the thread...I'd like him to never throw another fucking screen pass as long as he fucking lives.

trndobrd
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
If Cassel could improve his ability to carry his playbook down to Ray Farmer's office for a chat, I would feel much better about next season.

alanm
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
We need a RT, yes...I am not sold on Lilja and we have yet to see Hudson really play a lot so jury is still out there.Perhaps move Albert back over to the right side where he should of been playing all along. And don't flame me for this... Find a LT in the draft or fork out for one in FA.

NJChiefsFan
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Its hard to answer this question. If you just completely wrecked your car but you really need to get to your destination, which part do you fix? I think you just walk away and start crying.

Smed1065
01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
well ... having poise LEADS to better progession

they are tied together

Agree but not inclusive.

Smed1065
01-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Quoting simply because it makes sense.

Mark the calender.

Even a blind squirrel, unless its the Chiefs.

01-11-2012, 11:30 PM
leaving

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Perhaps move Albert back over to the right side where he should of been playing all along. And don't flame me for this... Find a LT in the draft or fork out for one in FA.

No

Iconic
01-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Accuracy... because it's the domino affect of all abilities. Think about it. Pin point accuracy creates a good QB who can hit his receivers in stride for great YAC. This creates a confident QB. A QB with confidence creates a QB who's poised in the pocket. Being poised in the pocket gives you more time to gaze past your primary receiver. This in all will create a confident team that will win SB's. Problem mother fucking solved. Look at all the franchise QB's in the NFL. They might not have the best arm, but what makes them such studs is their ridiculous accuracy.

BoneKrusher
01-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Clipboard carrying.

yeah he needs to carry that clipboard with some swagger.

MMXcalibur
01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Sense of direction.

Not on the field, but in terms of finding local Starbucks, dry cleaners and any other task that the rest of the team needs done while they're busy practicing.

Hydrae
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
If someone offers us a number 1 to move down, I'd do it for sure.

Move down, take Konz. Use that first next year as ammo to move up and take Barkley.

This has become my hope, trading down and picking up a first for next year. Package it with our 1st and move up for that QBOTF we all know we need.

Easy 6
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Cassel CANNOT fix what ails him, i'm sure he's been busting his ass for years trying to do just that.

But he cant, he's very limited... doesnt read the defense well, panics under pressure, plays it too safe, lacks anticipation, lacks timing, lacks accuracy beyond 15 yards, sometimes lacks it from 15 in & doesnt have a strong, NFL starters arm.

If they keep this guy, i will sincerely & truly be at the. very. bottom. of my enthusiasm for this team.

Baby Lee
01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
What one thing should Clint Howard do to become more like George Clooney?

Iconic
01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
What one thing should Clint Howard do to become more like George Clooney?

Stop breathing.

okcchief
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Grow a set of balls, stay in the pocket, let things develop. The first thing I noticed with Orton was he allowed screen plays develop and the actually worked. Cassel throws the shit in a panic and it's a 1 or 2 yard play every time. Really, I hope someone just breaks him in half and their is no option for our dumbass franchise to start him. Hes not going to improve.

The Iron Chief
01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
If Cassel could improve his ability to put his baseball Hat on properly while under the pressure of the national camera light zero'ed in on him while losing in horrid fashion..then I would hereby feel much better going into next season.

Mr. Arrowhead
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
hes good at sucking