PDA

View Full Version : Football Saints best offense offense ever?

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Looking at the stats, they averaged 467 yards per game. That's shockingly good.

Additionally, on defense, they gave up .5 yard less per play than the Pack. Unless the weather in GB is awful, I like the Saints to win it all.

Edit: Sorry for the thread title. How to edit that?

keg in kc
01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I think some of the shine's come off the Packers. Either way, I've looked at that game as the "real" championship for a while now. Of course one of them will probably get upset this weekend. That's why they play the games after all.

I'm with you on thinking NO wins it all.

O.city
01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Thats crazy.

I hope we pick their LG from them this offseason.

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:34 PM
ya, I can't see anyone beating New Orleans now. Brees is in the mothafuckin zone

Caseyguyrr
01-13-2012, 06:36 PM
they sure are awesome to watch, thats for sure

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I think some of the shine's come off the Packers. Either way, I've looked at that game as the "real" championship for a while now. Of course one of them will probably get upset this weekend. That's why they play the games after all.

Looking at the stats, New Orleans just blows everyone away. On defense, they are simply a little below average, unlike the Pats and Pack, who are just awful. On offense....Unprecedented?

Dante84
01-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Our next OC?

Easy 6
01-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Nope, not in my book.

Give them Marshall Faulk & i'll change my tune.

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Nope, not in my book.

Give them Marshall Faulk & i'll change my tune.

Sproles is pretty good.

tk13
01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
There's a thread I posted back before the playoffs. No defense anywhere near as bad as the Saints/Packers/Pats of this year has ever won a Super Bowl. Especially the Packers and Patriots. I'm really interested to see if it holds up, and if a team that's is more balanced slides in there. Problem is there really aren't that many of them. This year has really been some bad football.

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Sproles is pretty good.

not compared to Marshall Faulk

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
There's a thread I posted back before the playoffs. No defense anywhere near as bad as the Saints/Packers/Pats of this year has ever won a Super Bowl. Especially the Packers and Patriots. I'm really interested to see if it holds up, and if a team that's is more balanced slides in there. Problem is there really aren't that many of them. This year has really been some bad football.

Yards per play New Orleans really isn't in the same league as the other two. Pats and Pack are REALLY bad.

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
not compared to Marshall Faulk

It's more of an offensive game than it was back then, so I think overall it's debatable. Just based on pure stats though, the Saints are out there.

tk13
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Yards per play New Orleans really isn't in the same league as the other two. Pats and Pack are REALLY bad.

Yeah, but as far as I can tell... no team has ever won a Super Bowl giving up more than 5.5 yds/play on defense, ever. But that team was the 2009 Saints. This year's Saints gave up 5.8 a play... which is still pretty high up there considering you're talking an entire season. But even then... most title teams are at least in the 5.1/5.2 range, if not better. For the Packers or Pats to win giving up 6+ yds/play... even most of Vermeil's teams didn't do that.

Bump
01-13-2012, 07:01 PM
It's more of an offensive game than it was back then, so I think overall it's debatable. Just based on pure stats though, the Saints are out there.

are you comparing Sproles to Faulk? That's what I was thinking and they aren't comparable. You can compare the 2 offenses, yes, for sure. I would pick that Rams team though, that was an amazing offense.

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but as far as I can tell... no team has ever won a Super Bowl giving up more than 5.5 yds/play on defense, ever. But that team was the 2009 Saints. This year's Saints gave up 5.8 a play... which is still pretty high up there considering you're talking an entire season. But even then... most title teams are at least in the 5.1/5.2 range, if not better. For the Packers or Pats to win giving up 6+ yds/play... even most of Vermeil's teams didn't do that.

Yep. Those defenses are worse than Gun's D under Vermeil. Statistically, the Pack are not that good, really. JFC, Orton looked liked a HOF'er against them.

MahiMike
01-13-2012, 07:08 PM
They're the Packers with a running game. Not even fair.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I hope The Saints win the Super Bowl. If it's not going to be the Chiefs NO is my next choice. I love Brees and I love that city.

whoman69
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Compared to the other offenses in the league, NO is not that far ahead of the competition they can be called best ever. The Rams in '99, Vikings in '98, '83 Redskins were so far ahead of the pack they have to be considered better.

Frazod
01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I hope The Saints win the Super Bowl. If it's not going to be the Chiefs NO is my next choice. I love Brees and I love that city.

I love the idea of Chase Daniel getting another Super Bowl ring. :)

RealSNR
01-13-2012, 08:34 PM
One looks at the Packers and wonders what the hell went wrong with last year's defense and this year's defense.

A huge one is the loss of Cullen Jenkins, who was by far their best 3-4 DE. The year he had last season was as dominant from that position as I've seen since Richard Seymour's golden 2003 and 2004 seasons. The Packers assumed they were going to roll with Mike Neal, who had showed promise, but is always fucking injured. Ryan Pickett's also been pretty banged up, forcing BJ Raji to be a 100% NT on all 3 downs, something he's not used to. Down the roster, they have Howard Green, who's one of the starting 3-4 guys to replace Neal, and is simply too big and too fat off the edge.

The other thing you have to look at is the loss of Nick Collins, who was playing like a muthafucking beast last year and the beginning of this year. Look at the Pittsburgh defense without Troy Polamalu or those Super Bowl Colts teams without Bob Sanders. The difference is THAT staggering.

I think teams really need to re-think strategies at safety. It's why Eric Berry was such a prized pick for the Chiefs, and why golden safeties are now pretty fucking valuable.

Bane
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Not sure about best ever but they're fucking great!I hope they win it all again.

RealSNR
01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Also, Aaron Rodgers is still a notch above Drew Brees for me. Rodgers was in the freakin ZONE during the playoffs last year, and it continued for the majority of the season. When their offensive line is healthy again this week, I think you'll see the return of icy cool Aaron and the Packers that nearly went 16-0.

However, right now New Orleans is far more balanced. They create more turnovers on defense. With Sproles becoming their feature back, they are far more unpredictable than the Packers, even if the passing game isn't quite as sharp (but damn close).

I was adamant about the Packers adding a speed back to their offense this offseason. I drafted them DeMarco Murray in the CP Mock Draft, and MAN. If they had that son of a bitch breaking long ones like Sproles does for New Orleans, I think THEY would be the unstoppable ones.

I really don't think Green Bay is going to beat the Saints in the playoffs this year. That's a steep job to ask of them the way their defense has absolutely crumbled. It's kind of a 2003 Chiefs vs Colts situation. One wrong misstep by the Packers and they won't be able to catch up. The Colts at least had a shot at fixing a mistake (though the odds on that weren't very pretty either).

tk13
01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't think any QB the last 25 years has played as well as Rodgers has played the last 12 months or so. I really don't. That doesn't mean he's the greatest of all time by any means, career-wise he's not even ahead of Manning, Brady or Brees yet. But he's in an unbelievable zone. The best comparison I can think of (minus steroids obviously) is Manning/Brady were like McGwire/Sosa... and Rodgers is Barry Bonds a few years later. Even if he took steroids, Bonds was in such a zone that year he hit 73 that he punished everything in the strike zone, it was amazing... you couldn't make a mistake. Rodgers is the same way right now. He is just torching everything.

And I do think that's one catch to all these teams. Their defenses have one bad playoff game and that's it. And it doesn't take an elite offense to torch these defenses. Just like the Packers/Chiefs game.

O.city
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
The Packers defense isn't near good enough to stop the Saints. The Saints d sucks but it might be able to get a turnover against the Pack.

The Packs d has really fallen apart. Woodson got old, their secondary sucks, lbs are terrible even Clay Matthews has been nonexistant lately. Their dline doesn't really do much either.

Valiant
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I still give it to the Rams team.. The rules changes keep making it easier.. In ten years the record will be broke multiple times..

Bump
01-13-2012, 09:38 PM
I love the idea of Chase Daniel getting another Super Bowl ring. :)

he sure did earn it

Pioli Zombie
01-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Watch the Saints lose to the Niners.

Bane
01-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Sup Hamas?

Frazod
01-13-2012, 10:03 PM
he sure did earn it

He's on the team - he does play in the games.

Sounds like it burns your ass, too. I like that.

tk13
01-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Just like people overlooked all the sloppy road games the Steelers played this season... people are kind of overlooking that the Saints have not been legendary playing outdoors on grass this year (i.e. an ugly 22-17 win over Tennessee a few weeks back), and they laid a huge egg in Seattle last year. But maybe that will motivate them this week. Plus the Niners defense is really, really nasty, they can punch you in the mouth. I'm actually excited... I think this game might feature the most "Super Bowl caliber" team offense vs. the most Super Bowl caliber team defense. Just not sure the Niners offense will keep up.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Just like people overlooked all the sloppy road games the Steelers played this season... people are kind of overlooking that the Saints have not been legendary playing outdoors on grass this year (i.e. an ugly 22-17 win over Tennessee a few weeks back), and they laid a huge egg in Seattle last year. But maybe that will motivate them this week. Plus the Niners defense is really, really nasty, they can punch you in the mouth. I'm actually excited... I think this game might feature the most "Super Bowl caliber" team offense vs. the most Super Bowl caliber team defense. Just not sure the Niners offense will keep up.

Right there with you. I'm fascinated by this game.

Demonpenz
01-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I like like violent football. Go Defense

Red Brooklyn
01-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I love Brees and Little Baby Darren Sproles. And I'd be fine seeing them in the show. But the Packers and Aaron Rogers just have that... thing. That untangible that still makes them the favorite in my eyes. Any given Sunday and all that, and I know it's hard to repeat, but I think this thing is the Pack's to lose.

Bambi
01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I checked Marino and Elway's stats today vs Brady, Brees and Rodgers.....

It's not even funny

Psyko Tek
01-14-2012, 01:10 AM

THIS is why the NFL rules
one and done
bring it all or go home
every other playoff in pro sports suck

BigMeatballDave
01-14-2012, 01:17 AM

The 49ers D will certainly get a test. Its the key to this game.

If they can't contain Brees, SF is fucked because Smith cannot out duel Brees.