PDA

View Full Version : Football Jax embraces Tru Fan syndrome

whoman69
01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Jacksonville has a new NFL owner and a new head coach. But now it also has new PR problems.

Not only was the hire of coach Mike Mularkey panned by critics Wednesday, Jaguars owner Shahid Khan is in serious damage control mode after his comments about what makes a fan of his team.

Khan explained just what it takes to be a Jaguars fan, in his opinion: "I think I can clarify at this point for me a fan is somebody who is a season ticket holder fan for the Jaguars," said the new owner. "We want to hear from people, we want a huge amount of constructive feedback. We need input, but we need that from fans who are season ticket holders."

So the implication is if you're down on your luck and can't afford season tickets in a state hit hard by the recession, you're not a true fan.

Considering the Jaguars finished 24th in attendance in 2011, that's a pretty small number of supporters.

Khan wouldn't speak on camera to First Coast News about the backlash, but his representative spinned the dis as an "off-the-cuff comment."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201201/nfl-owner-claims-real-fans-are-season-ticket-holders

Gonzo
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I wonder if KC finished ahead of them in attendance. There were a lot of empty seats at arrowhead this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

DTLB58
01-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Owners need to realize that their stadiums don't have a billion seats.
So, inevitably there are going to be fans on the "outside" that spend lots of money on other things you have for sale as a team owner. And that these non- true fans might want to buy tickets that season ticket holders sell for games that can't always attend.

This is why these dumbasses with the money have PR people or personal assistants to talk for them cause they always screw things up.

Fritz88
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
What is even more hilarious is their fans at their forum defending his comments and saying they were not offended.

-King-
01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I wonder if KC finished ahead of them in attendance. There were a lot of empty seats at arrowhead this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude, it's Jacksonville. SportingKC almost beat them in attendance.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Frankly I'm surprised this isn't the franchise that's moving to LA. Teams are going to need to realize the money isn't there for their expensive tickets, parking and concessions.

Bugeater
01-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Frankly I'm surprised this isn't the franchise that's moving to LA. Teams are going to need to realize the money isn't there for their expensive tickets, parking and concessions.
I think it's going to happen, he already seems to be setting the table with comments like this. In two years he'll be saying "well, I tried, but it's just not going to work here".

Setsuna
01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
After he said that season ticket holder comment, he made a playful smile, meaning it was a damn joke.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
In latest news, Carl Pederson of the Miami Dolphins calls Shahid Khan to comment, "Damn straight."