PDA

View Full Version : Misc Taking my daughter snorkeling...

bluehawkdoc
01-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for the Florida Keys? Thanks in advance.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
No. Post pics. :fire:

LiveSteam
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Nope. But how cool is that. Have a great time.

Rain Man
01-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm heading there this week, as a matter of fact, but I don't do water stuff and don't know the keys at this point. I'm planning to check out the Hemingway Museum, and there are apparently a couple of Navy/Coast Guard ships you can tour.

I'm driving from Miami, and looked today at what the restaurant situation is en route. It seems like every restaurant description on google maps shows the restaurant serving key lime pie, which means that I'm going to be in heaven.

bluehawkdoc
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Nope. But how cool is that. Have a great time.

Thanks. Looking to go in February. Can't wait, she's a great kid. Want her to know how special she is so she doesn't settle for some knucklehead someday.

Fairplay
01-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Yep, go to Key West. They have catamarans that go out for 2-3 hours and take you snorkeling. About 20-30 other people doing the same thing with you. Well worth it especially if you hit a nice gorgeous day. They should have a keg on board if you want to drink. Bring water proof suntan screen.

Good times.

bluehawkdoc
01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Recommend a place to stay?

Fairplay
01-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Might check out the Best Western Key Ambassador resort. Its a little way from the downtown scene. Peaceful, quiet and out-of-the-way.

I've never had a bad experience there. Reasonable rates also.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM

They all seem expensive. I'll let you know what I see when I'm there, but it seems like it's mostly expensive little boutique hotels and bed and breakfast places on the south/west side, while the bigger chain hotels are on the north/east side. I guess the south/west side has more action going on, but I'm wondering if it's mostly just souvenir/drinking stuff. It's a small island, so I just found a place that seemed to be a good value, and I don't think it's got an ocean view or anything.

Fairplay
01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Very few hotels have an actual beach, unless you want the Hyatt.

shirtsleeve
01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks. Looking to go in February. Can't wait, she's a great kid. Want her to know how special she is so she doesn't settle for some knucklehead someday.

Key Largo has the National Reef. Great snorkelling. Maybe best on the Keys. We stayed in Islamorada at the Pelican Cove. Nice clean place, and right on the water on the Atlantic side.
http://www.pcove.com/

oh and edit: Check out the sunset celebration at Lorelie's
http://www.loreleifloridakeys.com/

shirtsleeve
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Oh and a head's up about Key West. You are bringing your daughter. Key West can be a bit...much. Its ok during the day, but at night, Duval street is..different. Alternative lifestyles, clothing optional, body paint wardrobes, public consumption...etc etc.

Daytime, like I said is ok, much more family oriented.

You want a Tee shirt from the Hogsbreath.

angelo
01-17-2012, 05:00 AM

If it is still open The Duval House was excellent. It is right across from a little cuban bakery and coffee shop.

Ang

MIAdragon
01-17-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm heading there this week, as a matter of fact, but I don't do water stuff and don't know the keys at this point. I'm planning to check out the Hemingway Museum, and there are apparently a couple of Navy/Coast Guard ships you can tour.

I'm driving from Miami, and looked today at what the restaurant situation is en route. It seems like every restaurant description on google maps shows the restaurant serving key lime pie, which means that I'm going to be in heaven.

Where are you staying in Miami Rain Man? The Mel Fisher museum in KW is something I always enjoy. Check out Sloppy Joe's a Hemingway fav, and keep an eye out for his 6 toed cats. Have a good time, let me know if I can do anything for you guys while you are in my neck of the woods.

Mike in SW-MO
01-17-2012, 07:20 AM
How old is the daughter? If she has never snorkeled, hit the pool for some play time.

Also, never know how kids will react. My son & daughter did the pool thing. D did great s never got it. Got ocean both kids saw a fish. Son chased the fish, had a blast, and instantly mastered the snorkel. Daughter freaked and hates snorkeling to this day.

Don't put yourself in multi-hour position with nothing to do but snorkel, in case she does not like it.

tymania
01-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I just went snorkeling for the first time this past week in Mexico.. one of the most surreal and neatest things i have ever done. It did get a little sketchy at one point, we were snorkeling in about 3 foot of water, and a 5 foot wide sting ray swam beneath me... it came out of no where and scared the shit out of me. My brother also had a 6 foot long barracuda go jetting by him out of no where that scared the shit out of him as well... very fun, but can be a little freaky! Good luck and have a great time!!

bevischief
01-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Watch your cornhole...

DaKCMan AP
01-17-2012, 07:35 AM
My last time in Key West we rented out this place: http://www.key-west-florida-accommodations.com/vacation-home-seaport-suite.html

It was Awesome. With our group it was kind of like the Real World house.

Check out the Bull & Whistle Bar (but not with your kids). It's overrated, but still worth having a drink there.

During the day you can go drink & use the pool at Dante's. It can be a fun time..

penguinz
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
If you can do a day trip to the tortugas. You will love the snorkeling there.

There are also tons of outfitters that do snorkel/scuba. Just find one that is in yoru price point and will take you to a reef or two.

penguinz
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh and a head's up about Key West. You are bringing your daughter. Key West can be a bit...much. Its ok during the day, but at night, Duval street is..different. Alternative lifestyles, clothing optional, body paint wardrobes, public consumption...etc etc.

Daytime, like I said is ok, much more family oriented.

You want a Tee shirt from the Hogsbreath.Duval is not what it used to be.

Bwana
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Sounds like a blast. Make sure to post some shots of the trip when you get back. I think I will be going down there next year, for the winter vacation.

loochy
01-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I just went snorkeling for the first time this past week in Mexico.. one of the most surreal and neatest things i have ever done. It did get a little sketchy at one point, we were snorkeling in about 3 foot of water, and a 5 foot wide sting ray swam beneath me... it came out of no where and scared the shit out of me. My brother also had a 6 foot long barracuda go jetting by him out of no where that scared the shit out of him as well... very fun, but can be a little freaky! Good luck and have a great time!!

Wow, in water that shallow I'd be more worried about the waves pushing me into the coral

tymania
01-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow, in water that shallow I'd be more worried about the waves pushing me into the coral

there werent any waves.. we were in a cove(huge cove, size of a decent sized lake) off the ocean, it was a public snorkeling park..they had some barrier stopping the waves from the open ocean coming in. It was calmer than most lakes.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Where are you staying in Miami Rain Man? The Mel Fisher museum in KW is something I always enjoy. Check out Sloppy Joe's a Hemingway fav, and keep an eye out for his 5 toed cats. Have a good time, let me know if I can do anything for you guys while you are in my neck of the woods.

Due to some work stuff I'm not able to stay long. I'm driving straight in from Miami without spending time in Miami, have one free day in Key West, will do the Key West half-marathon on Sunday morning and then drive straight back to fly home.

I was really hoping to have another free day but it just didn't work out. Eh, still should be interesting, though.

tooge
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
little fish can swim up your peepee hole and get lodged up there. Other than that, should be fun

MIAdragon
01-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Due to some work stuff I'm not able to stay long. I'm driving straight in from Miami without spending time in Miami, have one free day in Key West, will do the Key West half-marathon on Sunday morning and then drive straight back to fly home.

I was really hoping to have another free day but it just didn't work out. Eh, still should be interesting, though.

If time is that tight, Id take one of the charter flights out to the Dry Tortugas. Have a good time.

MIAdragon
01-17-2012, 10:43 AM
little fish can swim up your peepee hole and get lodged up there. Other than that, should be fun

LMAO

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
If time is that tight, Id take one of the charter flights out to the Dry Tortugas. Have a good time.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a swimmer at all, is there stuff I could do there?

CanadianChief
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
If it's her first time just make sure you have a good snorkel for her. A dry snorkel will prevent her from sucking in a gallon of water when she's constantly turning her head to look at fish.

Hawk
01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Can't help you with Florida, but the snorkeling we experienced on the North Shore of Oahu on our trip to Hawaii over the summer was downright unbelievable. I've snorkeled a lot of places, many of which were pretty cool, but that was by far the best. Highly recommend it if your kids like the snorkeling and you end up looking for more places to go.

MIAdragon
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Keeping in mind that I'm not a swimmer at all, is there stuff I could do there?

I think so, you can take a guided tour around the fort, IIRC there is a glass bottom boat that can take you around the isle. The snorkeling is quite good but IMO its worth a trip even if you are not that aquatic.

shirtsleeve
01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Duval is not what it used to be.

Thats sad.

I was there last in the offseason 2 or 3 years ago.Wife and I spent a Friday night and day Saturday. It was our first nighttime experience. We wanted to see the sunset celebration at commercial warf. Well, it was the first day of some festival or another. The sunset celebration was over rated, but then a parade down Duval and it went down hill from there. Very hedonistic. And lots of alternative lifestyles. We had a great time, but that is a place I as a dad would not even be comfortable with my adult daughters at.

I did appreciate the fresh coconut cut open and hit with a shot of rum and pineapple the next morning at the smallest bar in Key West on Saturday. Great hangover cure. Saturday was definitely child safe during the day. We hit the museums, etc. Saw the southernmost point, end of rt 1. etc. We never made it out to the fort at Tortuga.

Fat Elvis
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Whenever I see the title of this thread, I keep reading: Taking my daughter smoking....

bluehawkdoc
01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate it. Still looking at hotels...

Backwards Masking
01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
i was in a vacuum bed a few years ago - all rubber - it freaked me the fuck out.

you really develop a new appreciation for Oxegen when all that's separating you from Death is a small plastic Mouthpiece.

Phobia
01-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I have wanted to comment on this thread for a long time but I'm scared. I'm almost certain "Taking My Daughter Snorkeling" is a euphemism for something in Kentucky, Arkansas, and West Virginia.

WV
01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
I have wanted to comment on this thread for a long time but I'm scared. I'm almost certain "Taking My Daughter Snorkeling" is a euphemism for something in Kentucky, Arkansas, and West Virginia.

Can someone in Missouri really poke fun at other states? :hmmm:

Phobia
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Can someone in Missouri really poke fun at other states? :hmmm:

Sorry Dad. Roll over and say hello to Sis for me.

WV
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Sorry Dad. Roll over and say hello to Sis for me.

Sorry I had some Ozark in my ear Leeroy. LMAO

Phobia
01-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Sorry I had some Ozark in my ear Leeroy. LMAO

That's Arkansas, Dad.

WV
01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
That's Arkansas, Dad.

Seriously Jo-Bob? I think your ciferin' of the map is a bit off.:p

chiefs2012
01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
phobia ban hammer in 3..2..1

WV
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM

:)

Phobia
01-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Seriously Jo-Bob? I think your ciferin' of the map is a bit off.:p

Everybody in Missouri knows the Ozarks is in Arkansas. Why you think it's called OzARK?

Phobia
01-18-2012, 12:17 AM

I'm banhungray.

WV
01-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Everybody in Missouri knows the Ozarks is in Arkansas. Why you think it's called OzARK?

Ahhhh selective geography....I have a few areas I'd like to remove to then. The bottom third of WV will do just fine. I'll keep most, not willing to dump half my state like you. :evil:

Phobia
01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Ahhhh selective geography....I have a few areas I'd like to remove to then. The bottom third of WV will do just fine. I'll keep most, not willing to dump half my state like you. :evil:

My state is Iowa. They keep all that under wraps there. Nobody knows except for the corn.

WV
01-18-2012, 01:10 AM
My state is Iowa. They keep all that under wraps there. Nobody knows except for the corn.

Oh the children know...:eek: