PDA

View Full Version : Life I just committed suicide on Facebook.

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
I have been getting very uncomfortable with facebook. I just pulled the plug. Kind of a weird feeling like I really did commit a form of suicide. LMAO

Anyone else feel that way about Facebook?

Jewish Rabbi
01-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I deleted it for a while, but reactivated. I've got my shit down so no one that isn't a friend can see anything, and I'm pretty selective about who I'm friends with. Even so, I don't put work info or any of that on there, and untag myself from most pictures.

Good way to connect with people, but most have way too much info about themselves on there.

Silock
01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
I've embraced the fact that I no longer have any privacy whatsoever.

Oh well.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I have several friends I need to remove.

Too much fucking drama.

Silock
01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't remove people anymore. I just hide everything they post. Much less drama created that way.

Jewish Rabbi
01-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Too much fucking drama.

Just block them from your newsfeed.

Problem solved, then they won't create drama in person when they found out you deleted them.

Frazod
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't have any plans to dump it, but I don't do much on there anymore. I've reconnected with some old friends I hadn't seen or heard from in decades, which is kind of neat. But outside of one person, I almost never talk to any of them.

It's weird - you wonder for years what became of so-and-so, find them on facebook, are thrilled to reestablish contact, chat for ten minutes, and then completely ignore them after that unless you're wishing them a happy birthday.

Am I the only one who does this?

Lumpy
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Heh. The "death" feeling should subside in a few weeks, (at least it did w/ me). I never had an account on FB, but I felt that way when I deleted my MySpace account. You'll find yourself doing chores and crap to keep your mind off of it.

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 01:29 AM

Too much ****ing drama.

That's exactly my biggest problem with it. You remove somebody and they are offended. So I just offended everyone all at once. Too many people from my home town that I grew up with that I felt like I had to be so damned careful what I said. Then you have all these people on your friend list and all the old click stuff goes on and you are on friend list, but these people associate with their clicks. I'm an open person and like to just be myself. There has to be a better place than Facebook.

Epic Fail 007
01-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Myspace FTW! LOL

SPchief
01-17-2012, 01:37 AM
I think you guys are way to worried about what other people think of you on what you post on FB.

Phobia
01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
I say whatever I want whenever I want and don't care what anybody thinks. I don't accept friend requests from <16 though. That has pissed off some nieces and nephews but they'll get over it. I have fun on that site.

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
I think you guys are way to worried about what other people think of you on what you post on FB.

I grew up in a town population 800 at the time. My relatives are kind of a big deal there. My uncle owns half the town. One of my cousins was Mayor for a while. All my cousins in that side of the family were kind of local sports heroes. I always felt like the black sheep. It just brought alot of that shit back to my small memory banks. Plus the way facebook has changed their layout. Too many things I was uncomfortable with.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Can someone tell they've been unfriended?

SPchief
01-17-2012, 01:44 AM
I grew up in a town population 800 at the time. My relatives are kind of a big deal there. My uncle owns half the town. One of my cousins was Mayor for a while. All my cousins in that side of the family were kind of local sports heroes. I always felt like the black sheep. It just brought alot of that shit back to my small memory banks. Plus the way facebook has changed their layout. Too many things I was uncomfortable with.

Are you 15?

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Is your cousin Daisy still hot?

Phobia
01-17-2012, 01:45 AM

If they pay attention, probably. But if you're gonna dump them as a friend on facebook why would you care?

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Is unfriended a word?

LiveSteam
Is unfriended a word?

On face book yes

TimeForWasp
Are you 15?

52 . Alot of time to think about it.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 01:48 AM
If they pay attention, probably. But if you're gonna dump them as a friend on facebook why would you care?

I don't. I was just wondering if I've ever been unfriended.

SPchief
01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
52 . Alot of time to think about it.

You're 52 and care about what people think of what you post on FB?

Fritz88
Fuck the internet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod

They just don't show up on your friend list anymore.

I guess it would be funny if you got a "Joe Blow Thinks You Suck And Defriended You" notification.

But that might strike people as a bit negative.

Phobia
01-17-2012, 01:53 AM

Do you see anybody you used to be friends with showing up in your recommended friends list?

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 01:54 AM

I removed an ex girlfriends pic from my profile pics because I accidently put it on there. She unfriended me for it I think. She no longer was on my friend list. I found her profile again by going through her daughters profile and clicked on her profile. Tried to friend her to ask what pissed her off this time. It blocked me from friending her. Other than that, I don't know how you would know. I didn't know the ins and outs of dividing people into groups. I was uncomfortable because I didn't know who saw what.

Frazod
01-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Do you see anybody you used to be friends with showing up in your recommended friends list?

Oh yeah, that too.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2012, 01:58 AM

yes, there's a userscript for that.

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 01:59 AM
You're 52 and care about what people think of what you post on FB?

I even TRY to be careful to what I post here. I really don't like to offend people. If someone purposely offends me, It's on, but otherwise I do not like to do it.

chasedude
01-17-2012, 02:28 AM
I have an account but hardly ever check it.

What I've always wondered about Facebook is there is no "dislike". There's "like" all over the place but no "dislike". Youtube has a both options.

R8RFAN
01-17-2012, 02:36 AM
My God, My Neighbors facebook chat to each other when both of them are at home... They air all of their husband and wife shit out for the world to see...

Everybody want's to post those stupid ass quotes all the time too, that pisses me off.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
yes, there's a userscript for that.

I've never noticed that and I'm positive I've been unfriended because of a few women I've dated.

Tribal Warfare
01-17-2012, 03:00 AM
I've never noticed that and I'm positive I've been unfriended because of a few women I've dated.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/58852

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/40027

I use the one in bold.

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 03:02 AM
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/58852

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/40027

I use the one in bold.

Thanks. I have a few peeps I'm going to hunt down & kill now

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 05:29 AM
A fun thing to do is friend everybody you know and then post gross stuff like autopsy photos

DaKCMan AP
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
I even TRY to be careful to what I post here. I really don't like to offend people. If someone purposely offends me, It's on, but otherwise I do not like to do it.

I'm offended.

jlscorpio
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
My God, My Neighbors facebook chat to each other when both of them are at home... They air all of their husband and wife shit out for the world to see...

Everybody want's to post those stupid ass quotes all the time too, that pisses me off.

OMG, I'm w/u on the quote-a-holics. Especially on MLK day...WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Bwana
01-17-2012, 07:58 AM
I've never had it and never will. If I want people knowing all my business, I'll email them, or give them a call.

Graystoke
01-17-2012, 08:19 AM
I've never had it and never will. If I want people knowing all my business, I'll email them, or give them a call.

THIS!

But unfourtunatley I needed to use it after the Japanese Earthquake. There was no other way to contact my friends in Japan to see if they were all right.

So I join and get bombarded with friend request from people I havent seen or heard from in years. I got my info and got the FUCK out!

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM

It was a great tool for reconnecting with kids I went to school with that I hadn't seen or talked to in 25 plus years.
The knowing all your business part is spot on.

scho63
01-17-2012, 08:43 AM
It's a double edged sword-it's a great way to keep in touch with family and long time friends from afar but it is far from perfect with employers who check you out and all your photos, people who start posting crazy shit on your wall or sharing all the stupid game requests that make you look like all you do is Facebook all day.

Also, just like email, sometimes what you think you just posted is interpreted in a totally different way....

ChiTown
01-17-2012, 08:45 AM

This and AMEN!

My wife and teenage Son are on that damn thing all the time. JFC, I am amazed what people put on their FB pages. No thanks.

JD10367
01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
People who post on Facebook that they're leaving are just as bad as people who post on posting boards that they're leaving. It is what you make of it. If you keep it viewable to Friends only--and you don't Friend 2847 people you don't know--you have no problems.

luv
01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
It was a great tool for reconnecting with kids I went to school with that I hadn't seen or talked to in 25 plus years.
The knowing all your business part is spot on.

People won't know unless you share it.

thecoffeeguy
01-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I dont use Facebook or anything google.
The amount of information they collect and store on you is staggering and downright scary.

Facebook, even though you can set "security" settings, can easily be defeated. The amount of information that shady characters can collect off social websites on somebody they are interested in is disturbing.

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
The amount of information they collect and store on you is staggering and downright scary.

Facebook, even though you can set "security" settings, can easily be defeated. The amount of information that shady characters can collect off social websites on somebody they are interested in is disturbing.

These funny looking black vans keep driving by my house

Bearcat
01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't have any plans to dump it, but I don't do much on there anymore. I've reconnected with some old friends I hadn't seen or heard from in decades, which is kind of neat. But outside of one person, I almost never talk to any of them.

It's weird - you wonder for years what became of so-and-so, find them on facebook, are thrilled to reestablish contact, chat for ten minutes, and then completely ignore them after that unless you're wishing them a happy birthday.

Yep. LMAO

After the first few times reconnecting with a HS friend, exchanging one or two messages, then never seeing them on FB again or ever see them respond to anything, I kind of gave up on that part of it. There are also the people who didn't say two words to me in high school, but want to be FB friends... uh, no.

Yeah, people create a lot of their own drama, usually because they aren't aware of all the security features. You control exactly who you want to see, mostly what you want to see, and you control exactly what others can see.

If you don't want to unfriend someone, hide them in your news feed. If you need to be someone's friend or need to have family on there but don't want to share the same stuff with them than others, set up security groups so only certain people see certain posts.

There are annoyances, like those who just copy/paste stuff, but they usually get hidden or unfriended. I don't see the drama with it, but whatever... I've unfriended several people and I've had the feeling of 'wtf did they unfriend me?', but I get over it. :shrug:

Bearcat
01-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Most people don't even know how to use the security settings... not sure they would also know how to defeat them. And they only collect the information you choose to post or put in your profile.

Iowanian
01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I understand what young people are saying when they say that old people ruined facebook.

It has been a good way to find and catch up with old friends from college, professional colleagues and family spread across the world. I've used it many times for essentially tech support as a small business owner from friends in IT or my field. It's been great for that, and seeing pics of my friends' lives and kids. I enjoy that, even if we rarely talk.

BUT......mostly, fb is a place for soccer moms to whine about shit they should be complaining to their sisters and girlfriend's about, people to pretend they're not participating in the drama they're too above speaking about or participating in....or trying to sell whatever bullshit they're selling to each other this month.

I've nuked a lot of people, for excess drama, posting vulgar things I don't want visible on my profile(yes I know there are tools) or if they're acting like people I don't want to associate with. I'm sure I have been too, and while there are people who act butthurt if you remove them, I personally don't really give a shit, because it's not usually people I'm close with anyway.

Rausch
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I have been getting very uncomfortable with facebook. I just pulled the plug. Kind of a weird feeling like I really did commit a form of suicide. LMAO

Anyone else feel that way about Facebook?

I only have it to play Backyard monsters.

I'm addicted to the game and play through facebook. If not for that I'd have deleted my account months ago...

Chief Roundup
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I found out recently that places of employment as well as places that rent residences are among companies that are using Facebook as part of thier background check.

journeyscarab
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Yeah there is an app for Firefox called "Unfriend finder" it works great. You can see your pending requests and who has deleted you.

http://www.unfriendfinder.com/

beach tribe
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Are you 15?
Dude has a kid.

Go Figure :shrug:

beach tribe
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah there is an app for Firefox called "Unfriend finder" it works great. You can see your pending requests and who has deleted you.

http://www.unfriendfinder.com/

Or this one.

imcompletelyfockinginsecure.com

Rausch
01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
BUT......mostly, fb is a place for soccer moms to whine about shit they should be complaining to their sisters and girlfriend's about, people to pretend they're not participating in the drama they're too above speaking about or participating in....or trying to sell whatever bullshit they're selling to each other this month.

What's uncomfortable for me is people at work that you, at most, may say hi/bye to every day asking to be f/b friends.

And more often than not my first thought is "who?"

You may be a great person but I don't want you contacting (BUGGING ME!) on my days off.

But if you don't arses are hurt. Emails get sent asking why. Suddenly there's a cold shoulder by some person and "fuck you look" at work because in imaginary-land I didn't list you as a "friend."

Well, fuck you, we're not fucking friends. That's why.

I DON'T FUCKING KNOW YOU.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I deleted mine a couple years ago and someone said to me the other day... seems like I don't see you on fb much lately. I told them I'd post on their wall and they were all "cool put something funny on there." I just ok and continued on.

I don't know why but it made me laugh.

Cool story eh?

R8RFAN
01-17-2012, 09:44 AM

I hate talking on a phone and I hate texting..

Deberg_1990
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM
What's uncomfortable for me is people at work that you, at most, may say hi/bye to every day asking to be f/b friends.

And more often than not my first thought is "who?"

You may be a great person but I don't want you contacting (BUGGING ME!) on my days off.

But if you don't arses are hurt. Emails get sent asking why. Suddenly there's a cold shoulder by some person and "**** you look" at work because in imaginary-land I didn't list you as a "friend."

Well, **** you, we're not ****ing friends. That's why.

I DON'T ****ING KNOW YOU.

Only if a co-worker is hot will i add her. : )

TimeForWasp
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Most people don't even know how to use the security settings... not sure they would also know how to defeat them. And they only collect the information you choose to post or put in your profile.

That was part of my deal, I didn't know how to set shit up right.

durtyrute
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM

No, and that is the exact reason I stopped using it.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Apparently a lot of companies are now employing a service that allows them to see private stuff on facebook.

durtyrute
01-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I just found myself reading other peoples drama then wondering why in the hell they are putting their every activity online. Then I found myself wondering why in the hell I was reading that crap.

thecoffeeguy
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Exactly why i dont use FB, google, etc...

tooge
01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
I realized one day that the reason I enjoy getting together with pals a few times a year is to hear about all the shit that is going on in their lives, make more memories, etc. Facebook cheapens that for me. I haven't checked it regularly in months

JD10367
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Apparently a lot of companies are now employing a service that allows them to see private stuff on facebook.

I would think that's illegal, and one of those urban legend rumor types of things.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I had facebook for about a year when it first came out about 8 years ago.

Felt it was a big waste of time.

Always thought the "I have it to keep in touch with people" was a load of crap. I keep in touch with people just fine without it.

I suppose it is fine if you like to keep tabs on your old girlfriends or if you are a teenage girl...