PDA

View Full Version : Football AFCC Pick, Ravens or Patriots?

Amnorix
01-17-2012, 07:35 AM
So who is going to win? My head says that the Ravens are the better balanced team and that last week proved that you still need SOME defense to win in the playoffs in the NFL, no matter how good you looked in the regular season.

My heart says the Patriots should be fired up to avenge their loss of two years ago, and Brady is a madman on a mission, and Joe Flacco is pretty flaccid.

As for strategy, I think the Pats will try to do to Rice what they did to Marshall Faulk in 2001 -- relentlessly kill him coming out of the backfield, etc. Easier said than done of course.

Poll to follow.

Amnorix
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Ah crud, meant to make the poll public. Can I change, or can a mod change?

Deberg_1990
01-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Patriots. Pats need to just keep on letting Brady sling it and Flacco and the Ravens wont be able to keep up. Ravens offense was pretty bad overall againt the Texans. They got some good field posistion they allowed them to score and it was really only 1 quarter that their offense was good.

kc rush
01-17-2012, 07:46 AM
I think both championship games will be close. On a neutral field I'd give the nod to the Ravens, but I think the Pats will eek it out here.

For the NFC, I think the Giants will win because they have the better QB. The SF defense and the home crowd will make it difficult though.

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 07:46 AM
KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

jd1020
01-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Not much difference between the Ravens and Broncos, imo.

Pats.

BoneKrusher
01-17-2012, 07:53 AM
went with the Pats as well.

blaise
01-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I wasn't that impressed with the Ravens against Houston.

Gonzo
01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Ah crud, meant to make the poll public. Can I change, or can a mod change?
Of course, I can't change it from my phone.

I'll try to get to it when I get to my laptop later this a.m.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I hate both of these teams but I truly feel like NE is on a fricken mission this year. They are clearly clicking on all cylinders. Their D looked good the last two games, (easy to do against Den) so if they can contain Baltimores run game, they'll kick their asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
The Ravens came to Foxboro in 2009 and kicked New England's ass. But that was only because Rice took the first play all the way to the house, and then the Patriots turned the ball over twice, leading to a 21-0 Baltimore lead. And that Patriots team wasn't that good; they won the AFCE with a 10-6 record, and Baltimore was a 9-7 wildcard. They played that Ravens game without Wes Welker. Their leading rusher was Kevin Faulk. Their leading receiver (6 catches) was a tie between Kevin Faulk and Julian Edelman; Randy Moss--who was already in the process of becoming invisible--only had 5 catches.

This year is a little different. The Patriots now have Welker for this game (you know, the little white guy who was at the top of the league in receiving). They have two retardedly-stud tight ends (including one who's a record-breaker). They have Deion Branch back (who, even at his age, still serves his purpose with the occasional long pass to the sideline). They have Chad Ochocinco, who has been useless but would not surprise anyone if he suddenly breaks out with a big game. They have an underappreciated running game (Benjarvus Green-Ellis, two very solid rookies in Ridley and Vereen, the underused Danny Woodhead and Kevin Faulk). I don't see how anything stops that offense unless the O-line totally turns putrid.

The Pats are even, at this late stage, adding new wrinkles. A few people commented in recent weeks how predictable the Pats offense is: standard formation with backs, it's a run; spread offense, it's a pass. So what do the Patriots do? They take Aaron Hernandez (already a freakish TE as he has WR speed and can line up on the outside) and start handing him the ball from a passing formation. I mean, really, is that even fair? If they really kept the pedal to the metal they could've made the Broncos loss even worse.

Offensively, the Ravens are just not set up to win a shootout. Flacco isn't that good, and their passing game just doesn't have the "muscle memory" that New England's does. People say, "But the Ravens have a great D, and will run the ball to keep the ball out of Brady's hands!" Yeah, well, the Broncos were supposed to do that, too; it's easier said than done. If the Pats don't turn the ball over, eventually they're going to put more points up than Baltimore; if Baltimore turns the ball over and New England doesn't, and the Patriots start to pull away and Baltimore has to abandon the ground game, it could get ugly.

Can Baltimore win? Of course. Get pressure on Brady and make him a little off-target, run the ball hard, and take some deep shots at the Patriots' defensive backs. But a lot more things have to go right for Baltimore to win than they do for New England to win (just like this past week with Denver). If the Pats take care of the ball, execute the offense the way they can, and at least play a half-decent D, they win this game without too much stress.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not picking Flacco over Brady, especially with Baltimore's rather anemic pass rush.

Chief Roundup
01-17-2012, 09:13 AM
I think the Pats will pull it off. It definitely helps thier Defense getting Chung and Spikes back.

Extra Point
01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Ravens. The team I hate most, out of our division.

Chief Roundup
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Didn't know that the Patriots haven't beaten a team with a winning record by the end of the season.

Bump
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Can't pick against Tom Brady here

Pasta Little Brioni
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Do not trust the Unibrowmer yet.

JD10367
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Didn't know that the Patriots haven't beaten a team with a winning record by the end of the season.

Oh, Jesus H. for Fuck's sake... I've been over this a few times. They beat, IIRC, six teams that finished 8-8. If they hadn't beaten those six teams, those six teams would've had a winning record.

I love how people say "they haven't beaten a team with a winning record" as if that somehow invalidates their season record. This isn't a case of a team that beat weaklings and got blown out by powerhouses. They only lost three games: one to Buffalo they easily could've won, one in Pittsburgh where they played awful and still had a chance (lost by 6), and one at home to the Giants by a small margin (another game they easily could've won).

BoneKrusher
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Can't pick against Tom Brady here

smart move i did that last week. :banghead:

whoman69
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
This year in the playoffs the good defenses trump the teams with franchise QBs and poor defenses.

ChiefFripp
01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
So who is going to win? My head says that the Ravens are the better balanced team and that last week proved that you still need SOME defense to win in the playoffs in the NFL, no matter how good you looked in the regular season.

My heart says the Patriots should be fired up to avenge their loss of two years ago, and Brady is a madman on a mission, and Joe Flacco is pretty flaccid.

As for strategy, I think the Pats will try to do to Rice what they did to Marshall Faulk in 2001 -- relentlessly kill him coming out of the backfield, etc. Easier said than done of course.

Poll to follow.

Patriots in a landslide. However EVERY other team I thought would win in the playoffs other than Pittsburg has lost.

Basileus777
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
This year in the playoffs the good defenses trump the teams with franchise QBs and poor defenses.

That's happened once, and only because the Saints turned the ball over 5 times. And even then the 9ers had to win in a shootout. The only real trend so far is exactly that, you don't win playoff games when you turn the ball over a ton.

The Giants are a team built around a franchise QB and an excellent passing attack, people acting like they are some old school running team don't understand what the Giants are.

NWTF
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Patriots, but in a close game. They aren't playing the Donks.

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Neither did the '72 Dolphins

HemiEd
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Ravens, this is the year of the smash mouth tough teams it would appear.

eazyb81
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Ravens. Flacco will put up some decent stats against NE's awful secondary and Ray Rice will break off some big runs. Baltimore's defense will come up big.

Rasputin
01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
It wouldn't shock me if the Ravens won, but I figure Pats will win by 3 TDs.

Micjones
01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Pats.

milkman
01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
The stats that tk13 posted about average yard per play allowed defensively make a compelling argument for the Ravens against the Patriots, but I simply can not pick the Ravens with a mediocre game manager at QB, who has shown very little clutch ability beyond one game against the Steelers this year.

The Giants look like the most balanced team, with a damn near unstoppable pass rush, the running game finally showing up, and Eli Manning playing at an elite level.

Pats and Giants win.

Nzoner
01-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Ravens. Flacco will put up some decent stats against NE's awful secondary and Ray Rice will break off some big runs. Baltimore's defense will come up big.

The Ravens defense best come up real big because The Pats have now won 9 straight games scoring 31 or more points in 8,over 40 in 3 and 27 in 1.

The Ravens have played 1 high powered offense if you will since 11/27 and that was San Diego on 12/18 which they lost 34-14 they even gave up 24 to rookie Andy Dalton on 11/20 although they won that contest.

Granted,any given Sunday,but this isn't the same old Ravens defense,if they win this game they'll have to be perfect and create turnovers or hope for Brady and the Pats to have a totally off day.

Predarat
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I think the Pats take this one going away.

Amnorix
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Pats and Giants win.

I honestly would rather lose now in the AFCCG than to the Giants again in the Super Bowl. I'll be thrilled to go to the SB, but I really, REALLY don't want to lose that game if we do go. Better now than then.

There would, however, be something beautiful in a revenge scenario where we beat, this year, the teams that beat us in the 2009 playoffs and 2007 SB... If we could pull that off, that would be truly sweet.

Willie Lanier
01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Against all my initial intuitions, I see the Ravens pulling this off

Crazy pressure on Brady, no rhythm for the Pats offense.. I hope

If Baltimore can keep it close early, the game works in their favor... I hope:D

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Deberg_1990
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I see the Pats winnning in a runaway, but like last weeks Niners/Saints game, traditional thinking goes out the window once turnovers come into play.

Nzoner
01-18-2012, 05:58 PM
There would, however, be something beautiful in a revenge scenario where we beat, this year, the teams that beat us in the 2009 playoffs and 2007 SB... If we could pull that off, that would be truly sweet.

What about Denver 2005?

Pioli Zombie
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I honestly would rather lose now in the AFCCG than to the Giants again in the Super Bowl. I'll be thrilled to go to the SB, but I really, REALLY don't want to lose that game if we do go. Better now than then.

Brilliant. Just what morons were saying before the Patriots beat the Rams. Pussies all over New England "oooooh no, I don't want to lose another Super Bowl, ooooh" shut the **** up. You can't win it unless you play in it. They've lost 3 Super Bowls and I loved those AFC titles and the joy of my team going to the Super Bowl and id rather say, what if we won, instead of what if we lose. God, I love Boston teams and I love Boston but I can't stand Boston sports fans.

01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
JD and Amnorix will pull another disappearing act if the Pats lose. they were gone with the wind after the Jets playoff game last year and didnt return for months

ROFL

JD10367
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
JD and Amnorix will pull another disappearing act if the Pats lose. they were gone with the wind after the Jets playoff game last year and didnt return for months

ROFL

Pretty sure I've been here almost every day since I've joined, douchebag. Nice of you to throw comments like that around with no proof, especially since this version of vBulletin doesn't go back very far. Go fuck your mother with a rusty pipe, bitch.

01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Pretty sure I've been here almost every day since I've joined, douchebag. Nice of you to throw comments like that around with no proof, especially since this version of vBulletin doesn't go back very far. Go **** your mother with a rusty pipe, bitch.

You mad bro? LMAO

JD10367
01-18-2012, 07:34 PM
You mad bro? LMAO

You douche, bro? Fuck off, assmunch.

01-18-2012, 07:34 PM
You douche, bro? **** off, assmunch.

It does go back, idiot. you just never posted. like I said. ;) I wanna see you go and stick your head in the sand again like last year ROFL

01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Awe, JD is having a temper tantrum because I picked on him..lol

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Pats. No one likes Cleveland I, aka the Ravens.

JD10367
01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Awe, JD is having a temper tantrum because I picked on him..lol

No, I'm upset that you're a shit-flinging douchebag motherfucker who deserves an ass-kicking. Welcome to being the only person on my Ignore list, and, truly, go die in a fire.

-King-
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Heard today that while the Pats havent won a game against a playoff opponent this year, the Ravens have won 7. That's just nuts. My money is on them. If Flacco can just be average, Ravens should win easily.

pr_capone
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Pats will win but I dislike both teams equally.

01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
No, I'm upset that you're a shit-flinging douchebag mother****er who deserves an ass-kicking. Welcome to being the only person on my Ignore list, and, truly, go die in a fire.

OMG, I think my penis just throbbed a bit LMAO You are one thin skinned ass muncher ROFL it took three posts to make you bleed! AWESOME! CRYBABY!

RJ
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I believe the Ravens will win, though I admit to a Ravens bias.

Look at the teams the Ravens beat this season. They step up for big games and NE can't play D. Ravens by a field goal or less.

JD10367
01-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Heard today that while the Pats havent won a game against a playoff opponent this year, the Ravens have won 7. That's just nuts. My money is on them. If Flacco can just be average, Ravens should win easily.

What?!? The Pats haven't beaten a team with a winning record?!? Shockingly new news!!!

:shake:

Hey, here's one for you: the Ravens are 4-4 on the road, losing to such powerhouses as Tennessee, Seattle, and--my personal favorite--a 12-7 loss to the Jags. And when they faced a half-decent offense (San Diego), they got their shit pushed in.

JD10367
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I believe the Ravens will win, though I admit to a Ravens bias.

Look at the teams the Ravens beat this season. They step up for big games and NE can't play D. Ravens by a field goal or less.

Yeah, like they "stepped up" against the Jaguars and Seahawks. LMAO

The Ravens, for some reason, have the Steelers' number. That, I admit. Then again, the Patriots played probably the worst game of football possible and still were within striking distance of Pittsburgh in their house, so maybe the Steelers are overrated.

The Ravens' D is getting old. Flacco is mediocre. And they suck on the road. If this game were in Baltimore, I'd give them pretty good odds. But it's not.

01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I am used to people saying the Jets suck (lol) it doesnt bother me. but this guy JD is the defender of the faith when ANYBODY says anything negative about his beloved Patriots. but uh then he uh disappears after they lose :spock:

At least Amnorix has thick skin and can have a conversation without making infantile comments. lol did I call JD a baby again? oh wait Im on his iggy list almost forgot.

RJ
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, like they "stepped up" against the Jaguars and Seahawks. LMAO

The Ravens, for some reason, have the Steelers' number. That, I admit. Then again, the Patriots played probably the worst game of football possible and still were within striking distance of Pittsburgh in their house, so maybe the Steelers are overrated.

The Ravens' D is getting old. Flacco is mediocre. And they suck on the road. If this game were in Baltimore, I'd give them pretty good odds. But it's not.

I said they "stepped up" for big games. Unfortunately they also "step down" for some others.

Pats played bad against the Steelers because Steelers made them play bad. And the Ravens D isn't particularly old outside of Reed and Lewis.

If I had to bet my house on it I'd bet on NE because of the home field. But based on the past few meetings between these teams it should be very close.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I picked the Patriots, but honestly it was before I saw the "both teams can die in a fire" option.

Nzoner
01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Another stat I found elsewhere if you're a numbers person.

Offensive rank by points scored of Balt's regular season foes:

Pitt....22
Tenn....21...L
SL.......32
NYJ.....13
Hous...10 (minus andre johnson)
Jack....29...L
Ariz.....24
Pitt.....22
Seat....23 L
Cinn....18
SF......11
Cleve...30
Indy.....28
SD......5....L
Cleve...30
Cinn....18

LiveSteam
01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Pats put on a show. BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. Put league on notice for 2012-2014

Pat's 38
Rav's 17

Chiefnj2
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
First play of the game I send Pollard on a blitz right at Brady to get in his head. I do that even if the Ravens are on offense.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
I am used to people saying the Jets suck (lol) it doesnt bother me. but this guy JD is the defender of the faith when ANYBODY says anything negative about his beloved Patriots. but uh then he uh disappears after they lose :spock:

At least Amnorix has thick skin and can have a conversation without making infantile comments. lol did I call JD a baby again? oh wait Im on his iggy list almost forgot.

Speaking of the Jets -- the latest from LT was pretty bad, I thought. He sounds like a guy that has already left the team, mentally. I'm assuming he's going to retire. Any word/thoughts on that?

Between the Holmes/Sanchez "situation", LT retiring (?), Plax not getting any younger and your defense lacking elite talent at alot of positions, I'm thinking you might need to go into a mini-rebuilding phase. Thoughts?

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Another stat I found elsewhere if you're a numbers person.

[b]Offensive rank by points scored of Balt's regular season foes:

Yeah, DeOssie spent alot of time on this on the radio a week or two ago when discussing the entire AFC field. Basically said that the Ravens defense looks really good on paper, but played ONE top ten offense all season or something very weird/absurd, so who really knows for sure?

Let's face it, the entire AFC field was pretty uninspiring this year. The worm has certainly turned in that regard. For years it was AFC dominance, but now it's the NFC that seems better, and in some respects by far.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Ravens had the tougher schedule, no question. Pats did win a game against a playoff opponent -- the Donx.

But look, you can only play the schedule you have. Pats went 13-3 and are clearly playing better now than earlier in the season.

Nothing for it but to wait until Sunday and see what happens.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
What about Denver 2005?

Good point! It's the revenge sweepstakes all the way to SB glory!! :D

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Brilliant. Just what morons were saying before the Patriots beat the Rams. Pussies all over New England "oooooh no, I don't want to lose another Super Bowl, ooooh" shut the **** up. You can't win it unless you play in it. They've lost 3 Super Bowls and I loved those AFC titles and the joy of my team going to the Super Bowl and id rather say, what if we won, instead of what if we lose. God, I love Boston teams and I love Boston but I can't stand Boston sports fans.

JFC, calm the fuck down. I'm saying that if I had a crystal ball and KNEW that we were going to lose the SB to the Giants, specifically, I'd rather lose now and not deal with it.

But I don't have a crystal ball and I have no idea if we'd beat the Giants or not (be a tough matchup for both teams IMHO, I think the SB will be competitive no matter which 2 of the 4 teams left go there), so I'm 100% invested in rooting for the Pats.

So calm down. Christ.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 09:24 AM

ROFL

Err...what? I'm back here within a day or two under nearly any circumstance. 2007 Super Bowl, playoff losses, whatever.

Not sure who you have in mind, but it ain't me.

Nzoner
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Good point! It's the revenge sweepstakes all the way to SB glory!! :D

:thumb:

Personally,I'm a HUGE Brady fan,even have an authentic jersey that I wear to the bar.People can say what they want but I love watching the guy play the game and whether others like it or not I say just enjoy it because you're watching a future HOF'er and getting to see a lot of NFL history made.

01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Speaking of the Jets -- the latest from LT was pretty bad, I thought. He sounds like a guy that has already left the team, mentally. I'm assuming he's going to retire. Any word/thoughts on that?

Between the Holmes/Sanchez "situation", LT retiring (?), Plax not getting any younger and your defense lacking elite talent at alot of positions, I'm thinking you might need to go into a mini-rebuilding phase. Thoughts?

Rex lost the entire team. this is what happens when you have no discipline and you dont do well. the players are talking mad shit now, but he does too. so whats he going to do now? its tough being the players best friend when things dont go well. we shall see. his blow hardness has gotten old, real old. he will have to evolve if he doesnt want to become a clone of his father.

LT/Plax definitely gone..maybe Holmes (we'll see) and even Sanchez may be gone. the Jets were inquiring about Brady Quinn (rumor has it). letting Wayne Hunter play all year while Sanchez was getting killed was just one example of how Rex has no clue about anything going on over on the offensive side of the ball.

I dont know about rebuilding, but there will be a big turn over this year. the Jets need safety's too. their safety's are awful, just god awful.

01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Err...what? I'm back here within a day or two under nearly any circumstance. 2007 Super Bowl, playoff losses, whatever.

Not sure who you have in mind, but it ain't me.

I'm sorry if I grouped you in with that infantile douche bag JD.

My apologies.

lcarus
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
All I know is that if Baltimore wins the Super Bowl, I win my playoff bracket thing at work. Should be about 200 dollars. So...go Ravens I guess.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Hopefully the Patriots. I don't want the thugs of Baltimore in Indy. Ray Lewis might kill somebody Super Bowl weekend again.

RJ
01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
First play of the game I send Pollard on a blitz right at Brady to get in his head. I do that even if the Ravens are on offense.

LMAO

Helluva strategy.

Pioli Zombie
01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
"No Tommy Brady, no Stewie likey" who are the 27 morons picking the Ravens?