PDA

View Full Version : Football The Most Devastating Postseason Losses for all teams

lcarus
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1019572-the-most-devastating-postseason-loss-in-the-history-of-every-nfl-franchise?utm_campaign=outbrain&utm_source=outbrain.com&utm_medium=referral

Figured ours would be 1995 for sure, but it was runner-up.

Demonpenz
01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
slide shows

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1019572-the-most-devastating-postseason-loss-in-the-history-of-every-nfl-franchise?utm_campaign=outbrain&utm_source=outbrain.com&utm_medium=referral

No, it's just an incorrect list.

It's 1995. I remember watching the 2003 team kinda stumble a bit to the finish and remember seeing that defense just come apart after Mazlowski's knee gave out. Perhaps it was only coincidental, but a bad defense suddenly became abysmal at that point.

I knew the 1995 team was going to win the Super Bowl; I just kinda hoped the 2003 squad could make the AFC Championship game before that defense imploded.

mnchiefsguy
01-17-2012, 12:20 PM

1971 to the Dolphins has to be the most devasting...

Mama Hip Rockets
01-17-2012, 12:20 PM

1995 was way worse than 2003.

Demonpenz
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
10: Atlanta Braves 1996
9. Buffalo bills 1992
8. Vancuvor
7. Buffalo bills 1993
6. Green Bay 2012
5. Vikings 1998
4: Kansas basketball 2004
3: Michigan Basketball 1992
2: Kansas City Chiefs 1995
1: Iceland Hockey Losing vs Mighty Ducks in Mighty Ducks 2.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
97 was worse than 03

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Pats losing to the G-men & the FUCKING DOLPHINS wiggling off the hook once again.
My lowest moment in sports

Munson
01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
the most disappointing playoff losses in my lifetime:

4) '06
3) '97
2) '03
1) '95

The '95 playoff loss was the worst for me, by far. I was just a teenager, and was at the game sitting in the nosebleed section freezing my ass off. This was the year we were supposed to win the Super Bowl. We had a ferocious defense, but weren't anything special on offense. We would have won it all if it weren't for "the kicker who shall not be named" missing three field goals. That game will forever live in infamy.:cuss:

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
The 1995 team wasn't winning shit.

The 1997 team might've.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Most likely we would have destroyed Kordell Stewart as long as Grbac didn't have a meltdown against the Steelers.

Would we have beaten the Packers? I'll take DT and Carter/Hasty against Favre.

Al Czervik
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
97 was worse than 03

This

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I knew the 1995 team was going to win the Super Bowl;

Not with Bono, they weren't.

We would have been fucked up by the Steelers, and if not them, definitely Dallas.

In fact, Dallas fucked us up earlier that year.

lcarus
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Yeah that was before my time, but my dad tells me things about that one. I wish I had watched it when it was on television a while back.

Deberg_1990
01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
95 team wouldnt have won anything regardless...

97 Perhaps.....but most likely would have lost to Favre.

03 team was like Saints this year....could score a ton, couldnt stop anyone, sat back and waited for a big turnover to stop anyone.

The most intriguing "what could have been" team to me was the 05 team that went 10-6 . Of course Gun's D's couldnt stop the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles, so we sat at home instead.

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Not with Bono, they weren't.

We would have been fucked up by the Steelers, and if not them, definitely Dallas.

In fact, Dallas fucked us up earlier that year.

You're looking at a 1995 team through a 2011 prism.

Sure, we can say now that a team with Bono wasn't winning shit, but it was a much different league back then and Bono had a solid year. Bono put up 3,000+ yards and a better than 2-1 TD/INT ratio. Hell, didn't he make the Pro Bowl that season? In relation to his peers, he was no worse than Joe Flacco of today and the defense he had was absolutely rabid. Combine that with the fact that there was no high-powered Patriots offense back then and yeah, the Chiefs easily could have, and in my mind should have won the SB that year.

Further, the Chiefs by the end of the year had become a far different team than the one that started the year. They truly believed they could beat anyone and that defense was otherwordly.

It's easy to say in hindsight that you knew the 1995 team wasn't winning anything, but that wasn't the belief at the time at all.

Bowser
01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
95 team wouldnt have won anything regardless...

97 Perhaps.....but most likely would have lost to Favre.

03 team was like Saints this year....could score a ton, couldnt stop anyone, sat back and waited for a big turnover to stop anyone.

The most intriguing "what could have been" team to me was the 05 team that went 10-6 . Of course Gun's D's couldnt stop the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles, so we sat at home instead.

If Pat Surtain could have handled that sure pick six against Bledsoe, we would have won that game.

And don't forget the Buffalo debacle, either.....

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 12:56 PM
If Pat Surtain could have handled that sure pick six against Bledsoe, we would have won that game.

And don't forget the Buffalo debacle, either.....

Wasn't that also the the year that Larry Johnson ole'd Scott Fujita and it led to like a 10 point swing in a game we lost by a FG?

EDIT: Fuji was with Dallas at the time - fuck you, Larry Johnson.

Al Bundy
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
1999 Buccaneers losing to the Rams in the NFC Championship was worse than that 79 game. We were better than those assholes.

Deberg_1990
01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
1999 Buccaneers losing to the Rams in the NFC Championship was worse than that 79 game. We were better than those assholes.

Shaun King wasnt winning sh*t

Baby Lee
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
One coach HCed three of those losses.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
You're looking at a 1995 team through a 2011 prism.

Sure, we can say now that a team with Bono wasn't winning shit, but it was a much different league back then and Bono had a solid year. Bono put up 3,000+ yards and a better than 2-1 TD/INT ratio. Hell, didn't he make the Pro Bowl that season? In relation to his peers, he was no worse than Joe Flacco of today and the defense he had was absolutely rabid. Combine that with the fact that there was no high-powered Patriots offense back then and yeah, the Chiefs easily could have, and in my mind should have won the SB that year.

Further, the Chiefs by the end of the year had become a far different team than the one that started the year. They truly believed they could beat anyone and that defense was otherwordly.

It's easy to say in hindsight that you knew the 1995 team wasn't winning anything, but that wasn't the belief at the time at all.

That's because it's easy to think you have a dominant team when you win as many games as we did that year.

Super Bowl winners in the 90s:

Phil Simms
Mark Rypien
Troy Aikman
Steve Young
Brett Favre
John Elway
Kurt Warner

Steve Bono wasn't even on Rypien's level.

We weren't winning shit with Bono, or the dogshit receivers we had on that team, and especially not against a team like the Cowboys.

That 95 team was a total fluke squad that lucked into about 3 or 4 extra wins.

Inspector
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Yep. I will never forget that one.

I was going to get to go to the super bowl that year if we had won. Still hurts.

No wonder I haven't liked fish in a long time.

mikey23545
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Christmas Day 1971 blows the other games out of the water. People talking about other games are the little kids who think the world began the day they popped out of their mommy's puss.

If not for that game, the Chiefs would have probably been in 3 of the first 6 Super Bowls and won two of the three. Along with being the winningest team of the old AFL it would have cemented the early Chiefs as a true dynasty.

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
That 95 team was a total fluke squad that lucked into about 3 or 4 extra wins.

But did you believe that then...

The question isn't 'most inexcusable', but rather 'most devastating'. In 1995 where you really thinking "Eh, we aren't winning shit with Steve Bono". Say it if you want, but I'll call you a liar. This town had lost its damn mind and everyone knew this was our year after not quite getting over the hump so many times prior. In hindsight it wasn't the worst of the losses, but it was absolutely devastating in real-time.

For me, the only real contender to the crown here is the 1993 loss by the Montana-led Chiefs against the Bills. I thought the Bills were ready to get knocked off and after beating both the Steelers and, what appeared to be an absolute juggernaut Oilers team, I was dead certain we were due. We started off that 1st quarter moving the ball pretty well, only to stall both times. Didn't matter - all that proved was that we could move the ball when we needed to...

...then suddenly Joe Montana looked very very old all at once. And then he got concussed. Things looked so great and then in the span of maybe 20 minutes, the whole damn season just blew apart. All the excitement of Joe and Marcus, the dominance of Neil and Derrick...all of it just gone.

For pure devastation, the 1993 and 1995 squads dwarf anything that's come afterward.

ClevelandBronco
01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
3. The Drive
2. Red Right 88
1. The Fumble

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Anyone who thinks the '95 Chiefs could have beaten Dallas is on Methadone.

Deberg_1990
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
...then suddenly Joe Montana looked very very old all at once. And then he got concussed. Things looked so great and then in the span of maybe 20 minutes, the whole damn season just blew apart. All the excitement of Joe and Marcus, the dominance of Neil and Derrick...all of it just gone.

For pure devastation, the 1993 and 1995 squads dwarf anything that's come afterward.

I remember during the 94 season how Montana looked so old..and Bono would come in at relief and get everyone excited. Bono was actually a pretty good deep ball thrower. Just bad at everything else.

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
But did you believe that then...

The question isn't 'most inexcusable', but rather 'most devastating'. In 1995 where you really thinking "Eh, we aren't winning shit with Steve Bono". Say it if you want, but I'll call you a liar.

I was 14 years old. I thought the Chiefs were the best team in the world.

I had no objectivity. Now, I do. That team wasn't beating Dallas, and it's questionable whether they would have even gotten past Pittsburgh, because the next year the Steelers came to Arrowhead and held us to 7 points.

The 1997 Chiefs were the 2nd best team of the 90s. They were the 1995 squad with a better QB and a Pro Bowl receiver + Gonzalez.

2003 Chiefs probably would have made Bono score 35 to win. Doubt that happens.

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I remember during the 94 season how Montana looked so old..and Bono would come in at relief and get everyone excited. Bono was actually a pretty good deep ball thrower. Just bad at everything else.

That's why I don't buy it when people try to claim they weren't crushed by the '95 loss because Bono wasn't going to win anyway.

In hindsight, sure. But in relief in '94 and as a starter in '95, Bono looked for all the world like a perfect fit for Marty's run-first, deep play-action passing style offense.

By 1997 I'd become calloused by defeat so it didn't sting as badly. The Chiefs broke me down pretty quickly.

Predarat
01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
'97
'95
'03

They all suck!

DJJasonp
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
'90 still hurts to this day. Team was on a roll......double-threat of Okoye/Word....defense was getting better each week and peaking at the right time.

BS holding call puts the FG back 10 yds........and Lowery comes up inches short.

I'm choked up as I type the words.......still havent got over that.

Pissing away home field advantage through the playoffs hurts too.

Frazod
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
'97 was the worst. Far and away the worst. Finding out about the cooking spray later put it over the top.

Dartgod
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
1977 Royals

listopencil
01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Apparently it was this year for the Packers:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjvXxwvg8mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chiefscafan
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
97 was bad for me the phantom holding call that the anouncers couldn't even find, the pushing of TG out of the endzone, and marty starting grbac when gannon and the O was on a roll.

all three factors made me super depressed after that game and I still to this day feel like that was our chance at the superbowl. I think we beat the next team and then beat the packers in the superbowl to avenge our superbowl loss.